PDA

View Full Version : Sgt exam

06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Why does detention have to know twice the amount of stuff as patrol for the exam. How is that even remotely fair? Especially since some of the road thinks detention is a bunch of retards. So now we have two extra stacks to study (model jail standards, more statutes and DBD's). That is five extra state statutes, at least 125 pages for the model jail standards, and fifty something DBD's. Plus everything the road has to study. Then are we given a different grading scale, probably not. Oh, two textbooks. Great and the one is like $85-new. Sure in less than 3 months.

06-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Maybe Detention has to study more about the standards because they affect the Detention position more than the LE position?

Let's think this through and not make the a LE vs. Detention post.

I am sure Detention will not need to know criminal statutes like robbery, rape, and homicides........just like LE will not need to know what a Q15 means or minimum staffing for a pod.

Come on now..........hit them books!!!!!

06-12-2007, 01:42 AM
They differ in one simple area that is not so simple and very complex,
dealing with the Laws. That area alone makes up for what you think is not on the test.

06-12-2007, 02:08 AM
yeah, but you are not being tested on the laws. My question was on the shear volume that we have on the test. You guys aren't being tested on the laws. Maybe they should add a few hundred statutes to your test, then we'd be even.

06-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Maybe I am missing something here, but why would either group worry about what the other group is faced with o a test? Typically, that type of person is not happy with their chosen path in life. If that is the case, transfer to the L.E. command. If the L.E. people are not happy, transfer to the Admin Command.

It is ludracris to compare the two in anything, including the tests, which cover two different disciplines and all the high liabilities that go along with them. I am in L.E. and I am fully aware of the fact there is more liability in policing the arrestees in a detention facility. Our highest areas of liability is use of force and driving. The law is pretty simple for us regarding when an arrest can be made even though some we have don't know and never look in a statute book.

Just crack the books!

06-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Did you see that we have to study G.O. 22.3.1 pertaining to the Physical Abilities Test (Dated July 2000)? I thought we are using the new Cooper Standards Abilities Test. :?

06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
why cant they test us about the important things. for example how to carry a tray with 8 sodas and 15 donuts maybe with some fruit. or how to count past ten without a supervisor watching. i know most of us would fail that test. wow this job is so hard now that you guys got me thinking. :D

come on guys no one is making you take the test. either take it if you would like the chance to be promoted or dont. but dont complain about something you dont even have to do.

06-13-2007, 12:25 AM
[quote="dirt mcgirt"

come on guys no one is making you take the test. either take it if you would like the chance to be promoted or dont. but dont complain about something you dont even have to do.[/quote]

Well said mcgirt. If you want the job, buy the book, study and take the lovely test. Maybe this is a way for them to tell the ones who really want the stripes versus those who just get it because of who they know. I think this is a way to make it fair to those who want to become a Sgt. At least if you take the test they know you really want to do the job if you study all the stuff in the books. Good luck to all tose who buy the books and takes the test. :lol: May the right people take the test :lol:

06-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Did you see that we have to study G.O. 22.3.1 pertaining to the Physical Abilities Test (Dated July 2000)? I thought we are using the new Cooper Standards Abilities Test. :?

There are more than that screwed up on there. I can't believe we are even accredited since we don't follow many of our G.O.s that have CALEA sections all over them

06-21-2007, 08:41 PM
C'mon now, I use the hedgehog concept every day at work!!!

07-18-2007, 12:15 AM
you are all gay