PDA

View Full Version : NYPD is in trouble

06-11-2007, 04:54 PM
NEW VISITORS - READ THIS - OPEN LETTER TO CIVILLIANS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've decided to re-post my open letter to the public since ED's case has hit the news again. Hopefully some new visitors today will see what they have done to this Job.

Dear People of The City of New York,

It is with utmost displeasure to inform you that you have all failed yourselves. You have turned your back on those that protect the very thread of civilization that exists and that is enjoyed by many. You have turned your back on the New York City Police Department and by doing so, you have turned your back on the future of New York City.

Many have forgotten the days of the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's when crime was rampant in the streets of this town. Sure, there were many quiet neighborhoods left in Queens and Brooklyn, but for the most part, a walk down a city street in the late evening could end in tragedy.

That was yesteryear. Years when cops took pride in their job and took pride in the fact that the public had support for them. Cops were rarely second guessed and were appreciated for protecting the neighborhoods. Crime was high and seemed unbeatable, but cops still did what they had to do and kept plugging away until a victory in a long battle was won.

Funny how fast you, the public, forget how bad the Crack Wars were. How bad the City looked in the 70's and 80's when derelict cars littered the streets and graffiti was on every building and subway car. So much so on subway cars, that there was more paint than metal showing.

Well, forget no more because it’s coming back. Yes, it’s true. Violent crimes and petty crimes that turn a good neighborhood into a seedy, grimy area are on their way back. Why do you ask? Because you have walked all over us so much, that no one wants this job anymore. You have stood silent and let the Mayor and your City Council take the powers away from us to let us prevent the return of the menace. You have done nothing but complain about us since forgetting about Sept 11th and the sacrifice made by many.

The word is out. Everyone knows about the poor pay. Our pay hasn’t been a secret for 15 years. But the word is out about how we are treated. Cops are becoming more vocal and word of mouth has spread throughout. Cops will not let their sons and daughters become second or third generation cops due to the working conditions.

People took this job regardless of the low pay. Now, no one wants our job anymore no matter what. Keep making false complaints at CCRB. Keep making false complaints with IAB. Keep tying our hands and put fear in our ability to do our jobs without the specter of frivolous lawsuits or even jail. Keep believing everything you read in the paper about how it’s the PBA’s fault that no one wants this job. Keep walking around blindly. Keep believing that we wake up the morning planning to take someones life. Keep believing that if the Mayor raises the starting pay, all of the NYPD’s problems will vanish. They can raise the pay to $45,000 to start, and they still won’t be able to fill a full class.

The NYPD is so desperate, they are hiring past criminals. Yes, it’s true. Criminals and Emotionally disturbed that were denied 4-5 years ago, are being hired now. They are passing recruits that cannot pass the required aptitude tests. They are passing those that cannot read at a 3rd grade level. They are passing those that can’t withstand the physical rigors of the academy, and even so, the requirements are not even half of what they were 5 years ago and people STILL can’t pass the lowered standards. But somehow, the Academy lets them through.

The NYPD is so short handed, that there are only 6 cops patrolling your entire precinct as we speak and cannot get to your call for help in time. 6 cops. That’s 3 cars. On a hot Saturday night. Oh yeah It’s true 3 cars that don't care about anything but taking reports of past crimes because that’s all we can do with the low manpower. We can’t prevent crime anymore, we just clean up the aftermath. Yes, it’s true

But keep reading what you believe. Keep thinking everything is ok. Keep thinking that you are safe. Eventually you will see what your ignorance, your disrespect and the Mayor have done to this City and to those that wanted to protect it.

Sleep tight!

06-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I recently vested out after 11 years, I'm done with NYPD. I now work like a gentleman, a real cop in Florida. Message to all who are fed up, just get out now and move onto a better department. There is a better life than NYPD, I now realize how bad my working conditions were as far as equipment,pay,technology and moral. You would be surprised how many ex NYPD cops I met working in Florida. You wake up to the sun everyday, your own take home car, uniforms/ equipment given to you by the department here. Life is good now. P.s. in 9 more years I'll be getting a nice pension from NYPD and my medical benefits back. Get out now. :D

10-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Lowpay,

I have always thought that the NYPD has done a terrific job in this city. It's not just me but million others. Don't let some small group joined with the Press bring you down. You have a tough job and you do what you have to do. We appreciate you tremedously!

12-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Hey, I recently retired from the NYPD after twenty years. I loved "The Job" and being a cop but since retiring and coming down to Florida for a new Law Enforcement career, I realize how I (and most other members of the NYPD) was treated like garbage by the Department, the elected officials, and the citizens of New York City. No matter how good of a job you do in the NYPD they still break your balls and mess with you for complete nonsense. Down here in Florida, if you are competent and do your job you are left alone. I miss NOTHING about New York City and only the friends I made when I was a proud member of the NYPD. Stay safe guys and remember you may love the job but the job DOES NOT love you!!!!

02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Goodbye...can we exchange e-mails? I am looking to do exactly what you did with 11 yrs. on...I just have some fears about pension issues...could you give me some info? thanks dude...

10-26-2008, 10:29 PM
NEW VISITORS - READ THIS - OPEN LETTER TO CIVILLIANS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've decided to re-post my open letter to the public since ED's case has hit the news again. Hopefully some new visitors today will see what they have done to this Job.

Dear People of The City of New York,

It is with utmost displeasure to inform you that you have all failed yourselves. You have turned your back on those that protect the very thread of civilization that exists and that is enjoyed by many. You have turned your back on the New York City Police Department and by doing so, you have turned your back on the future of New York City.

Many have forgotten the days of the late 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's when crime was rampant in the streets of this town. Sure, there were many quiet neighborhoods left in Queens and Brooklyn, but for the most part, a walk down a city street in the late evening could end in tragedy.

That was yesteryear. Years when cops took pride in their job and took pride in the fact that the public had support for them. Cops were rarely second guessed and were appreciated for protecting the neighborhoods. Crime was high and seemed unbeatable, but cops still did what they had to do and kept plugging away until a victory in a long battle was won.

Funny how fast you, the public, forget how bad the Crack Wars were. How bad the City looked in the 70's and 80's when derelict cars littered the streets and graffiti was on every building and subway car. So much so on subway cars, that there was more paint than metal showing.

Well, forget no more because it’s coming back. Yes, it’s true. Violent crimes and petty crimes that turn a good neighborhood into a seedy, grimy area are on their way back. Why do you ask? Because you have walked all over us so much, that no one wants this job anymore. You have stood silent and let the Mayor and your City Council take the powers away from us to let us prevent the return of the menace. You have done nothing but complain about us since forgetting about Sept 11th and the sacrifice made by many.

The word is out. Everyone knows about the poor pay. Our pay hasn’t been a secret for 15 years. But the word is out about how we are treated. Cops are becoming more vocal and word of mouth has spread throughout. Cops will not let their sons and daughters become second or third generation cops due to the working conditions.

People took this job regardless of the low pay. Now, no one wants our job anymore no matter what. Keep making false complaints at CCRB. Keep making false complaints with IAB. Keep tying our hands and put fear in our ability to do our jobs without the specter of frivolous lawsuits or even jail. Keep believing everything you read in the paper about how it’s the PBA’s fault that no one wants this job. Keep walking around blindly. Keep believing that we wake up the morning planning to take someones life. Keep believing that if the Mayor raises the starting pay, all of the NYPD’s problems will vanish. They can raise the pay to $45,000 to start, and they still won’t be able to fill a full class.

The NYPD is so desperate, they are hiring past criminals. Yes, it’s true. Criminals and Emotionally disturbed that were denied 4-5 years ago, are being hired now. They are passing recruits that cannot pass the required aptitude tests. They are passing those that cannot read at a 3rd grade level. They are passing those that can’t withstand the physical rigors of the academy, and even so, the requirements are not even half of what they were 5 years ago and people STILL can’t pass the lowered standards. But somehow, the Academy lets them through.

The NYPD is so short handed, that there are only 6 cops patrolling your entire precinct as we speak and cannot get to your call for help in time. 6 cops. That’s 3 cars. On a hot Saturday night. Oh yeah It’s true 3 cars that don't care about anything but taking reports of past crimes because that’s all we can do with the low manpower. We can’t prevent crime anymore, we just clean up the aftermath. Yes, it’s true

But keep reading what you believe. Keep thinking everything is ok. Keep thinking that you are safe. Eventually you will see what your ignorance, your disrespect and the Mayor have done to this City and to those that wanted to protect it.

Sleep tight!

Oh so they hire criminals and emotionally unstable people...
So this is the reason why they go out and arrests people for no reason at all.
Instead of taking down felons they take down people who take pictures. Wow
it is a felony to take a picture of Times Square...

10-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey, I recently retired from the NYPD after twenty years. I loved "The Job" and being a cop but since retiring and coming down to Florida for a new Law Enforcement career, I realize how I (and most other members of the NYPD) was treated like garbage by the Department, the elected officials, and the citizens of New York City. No matter how good of a job you do in the NYPD they still break your balls and mess with you for complete nonsense. Down here in Florida, if you are competent and do your job you are left alone. I miss NOTHING about New York City and only the friends I made when I was a proud member of the NYPD. Stay safe guys and remember you may love the job but the job DOES NOT love you!!!!

HOW COME YOU FLORIDA COPS FROM MIAMI AND HIALEAH COME HERE TO BLOG?
DON'T YOU HAVE YOUR OWN THREAD?

12-08-2008, 04:45 AM

HOW COME YOU FLORIDA COPS FROM MIAMI AND HIALEAH COME HERE TO BLOG?
DON'T YOU HAVE YOUR OWN THREAD?Because we can't stand the asshole Timoney that you bestowed upon us!

01-18-2009, 04:07 PM
The NYPD is a joke. They are hiring uneducated morons to patrol the streets. Years ago 40,000 took the test, now you are lucky to get 3,000 take it. All you need is a valid drivers license and social security card and you can have a job. Go to any 7-11 store and get an application on the magazine rack. NYPD is a discrace. Or you can do like everyone else does in the NYPD, get hurt, play the game with disability and you win 3/4 pension.

11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
News said last night that the N Y state says N Y C will be broke by Jan. Good luck folks.
If your coming to Florida for LEO work, you need to know about the retirement funds municipal cops get with some agencies. It is funded by a tax on casualty insurance. The tax rate depends if they are a instate company, and if they are not, do they have offices in state. Before the market melt down, Miami Cops with 25 plus years, were leaving with around 250 grand. Pension they didn't have to pay into. Not all municipalities still money have the money going to the cops. Some cops have bargained away that money for other benefits. If your coming down, Sheriff's depts and state agencies do not get this $$$$$. Only city agencies.

11-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Just got back from vacation in N.Y. We had a family party at a club. I designated myself as a driver and nursed two beers and several sodas over a six hour period. After the party, I assisted my wife's family in cleaning up the place and taking all the food and leftoivers home.(The party was a sweet sixteen and a twenty first together.) Good fam\ily , all good down to earth people. DEFINITELY not trouble makers. My future brother in law asked me to drive his SUV as he had several drinks and he stated the police like to mess with people. I work in LE , so I figured I knew what he meant. The street in front of the venue was blocked off as it is also a night club, and we rented the upstairs. As we approached the street, there was a car at the barricade, a taxi, then me. Facing us (it was a four way stop) was an undercover NYPD. He put his lights on and tells the cars to move a long. I approach the barrier(right hand turn), using my signal. I had the window rolled down. I see two undercovers in the unmarked unit. The driver tells me hurry up, move ot. I said yes , and said just and signed it with my finger. Real fast In tell the security that I was with a party at the club, and we were picking up food and cleaning up. He starts to move the barrier, as he had recognized me. So obvo=iously, the undercovers could see I had business there. So the passenger yells ok, smart ass. for ignoring me you can go around the block again. I should teach somer respect you f'n punk, ignoring my partner like that. I tell him I was not ignoring him, and he told me to hurry up which I was, and he could see I had legitimate business there. He tells me agin, I should teach you some respect , punk ass. You can now drive all the way around the block again. I said sir, if you think I ignored you, I did not do it on purpose and apoligized. He then started to curse, and his partner(the partner looked possibly embarrassed???) drove away. He kept on yelling ," You punk ass *****!" Furthermore, I was dressed very nice, I was wearing glasses, and drivein my BIL's BMW M-5? So obviously I looked like a decent person, non threatening, and definitely not a threat. My BIL and several family members told me this was a common occurrence with NYPD. They told me they were glad I did not say something, as they would have put something on me. My BIL said that was exactly why he did not want to drive.( Especially that we made designated driver arrangements.)
So this is how ordinary people get treated by them? He was the punk , as he was yelling alot of this stuff as they were driving away. So I drove around the block, laughing about how childish of a punishment I received. Drive around the block? LOLL. Those officers could not be more unprofessional if they tried. They passed again and I waved at them a few times, but they did not stop. I just can't believe how they treated an ordinary citizen.
I may get a little sharp sometimes, but I always give people, respect first. What a bunch of unprofessional azzhats. Done with rant.

01-09-2010, 11:57 PM
I was hired on 7/5/89. I retired 3/4's 12/03. I was the happiest person on earth on the day I found out I got approved for 3/4's. My best and most fun were 1989(yes, I enjoyed foot posts) through late 1997. And, the absolute best time I had was in the Coney Island Detail for two summers. That was awesome. But, come late 1997, thing changed rapidly within the NYPD. They started drilling into our heads about how the NYPD will be run like a corporation with accountability for "performance". Of coarse, lots of bosses took this to heart and because of this, shit ran downhill quickly. We would bring up to ball-less Commanding Officers, well if the NYPD is to be run like a corporation, then in the corporate world, people get raises and bonuses for jobs well done. Where are our raises and bonuses for all the hard work in bringing crime down? No real answers were received, of coarse. But, we did receive lots of ZEROS in out contracts. Hows that? Okay boys, lets go out and produce more then you ever had. Let's drop crime to an all-time low! And lets give all you hard working people, you know, the people who actually DO the work and NOT just push papers BIG FAT ZEROS for all that work!! On top of all this, let's reconstruct the arrest processing so that all you hard working officers with get little or ZERO overtime!! Let's cut overtime by 110%, afterall, that is how a lot of you pay your bills and put food on the table. NO MORE OF THAT, YOU FINE HARD WORKING OFFICERS!!

Yes, I'm very bitter towards the NYPD. For all the cool aid drinking people, you keep drinking that shit!

The ONLY thing I miss are SOME people I use to work with on the job, that is all.

07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
In Feb.1968 I was sworn in as a Police Officer. I retired in May 1988. That 20 years is the best time I ever had. I still remember the times on patrol, and when I was promoted to Detective. I know the job is not, and will not be the same it was, but I looked at the job as a career. When I retired I moved to Fla. I went back into L.E., and retired again, after 12 yrs. Still, I feel the NYPD is the best department in the world, bar none.