PDA

View Full Version : Merged fire departments might save millions

06-04-2007, 06:16 AM
State Rep. Julio Robaina has a plan that he says would save local taxpayers $50 million a year and turn Miami-Dade County's six fire departments into a single, lean, efficient unit.

Under Robaina's plan, if the fire departments agreed to consolidate, they'd be exempt from budget cuts mandated by the property tax reform that state lawmakers have pledged to deliver this month.

Merging the fire departments -- Hialeah, Key Biscayne, Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Miami and Miami-Dade -- would allow for reassigning several chiefs and deputy chiefs, for eliminating stations that overlap service areas and for uniting six emergency radio systems into one, Robaina said.

But selling the plan, which the state lawmaker plans to unveil today, means navigating a political minefield.

For the plan to take hold, Robaina must weave through well-paid lobbyists while convincing the cities to give up control over their own departments. And then there are the firefighters' unions, which would have to accept demotions for several chiefs and deputies.

Not even Metro-Dade Fire Union leaders, who helped create the blueprint for the plan and would stand to gain new members and new influence under it, are willing to back Robaina's initiative publicly -- yet.

''He asked us to do this a few weeks ago, and we provided him with the information,'' said Metro-Dade Fire Union Chief Stan Hills.

Robaina said he intends to offer his consolidation plan statewide. All counties that agree to absorb their municipal fire departments into a single department would be exempt from cutting fire services as part of the property tax reform effort that resumes June 12. He said he intends to offer the plan as an amendment to any property tax reform bill that's voted on in Tallahassee.

The plan is bound to face opposition in Miami-Dade's municipal governments.

Hialeah Mayor Julio Robaina -- no relation to the state lawmaker -- called it ``pandering to the fire union in Dade County.''

A study last summer showed Hialeah would save $2.8 million the first year it merged with Miami-Dade, but Mayor Robaina determined the savings weren't enough to dismantle the department, which costs more than $25 million a year to run. He predicted that in the long run, Hialeah taxpayers would have to pay more if they joined the Special Taxing District that currently funds Miami-Dade's Fire Rescue Department at about $400 million a year.

''Economically, they don't have a handle on it,'' he said.

Nonetheless, retired Hialeah Firefighters Union Chief Luis Espinosa said the city's department could stand to cut some costs to provide service and improve staffing. Hills, the county union chief, said that done correctly, creating a single fire department ``would be seamless. Nobody would notice the difference except for the firefighters.''

Coral Gables Fire Chief Rick Cook disagreed.

''I definitely think there is going to be a huge impact on public service,'' Cook said. ``But I don't think a regionalized fire department is something I see coming out of this. Unless we become too expensive for Coral Gables, I don't think they'd ever think of giving us up.''

Carlos Gimenez, a county commissioner who was the fire chief and then manager of the city of Miami, said some facets of consolidation -- like a single radio frequency and eliminating redundancy issues -- are viable. But he doesn't believe there's a lot of support for consolidation.

''Some cities just want to have control of a department. What at least this does is it puts some things on the table and creates a framework,'' he said.

06-04-2007, 02:17 PM
State Rep. Julio Robaina has a plan that he says would save local taxpayers $50 million a year and turn Miami-Dade County's six fire departments into a single, lean, efficient unit.

Under Robaina's plan, if the fire departments agreed to consolidate, they'd be exempt from budget cuts mandated by the property tax reform that state lawmakers have pledged to deliver this month.

Merging the fire departments -- Hialeah, Key Biscayne, Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Miami and Miami-Dade -- would allow for reassigning several chiefs and deputy chiefs, for eliminating stations that overlap service areas and for uniting six emergency radio systems into one, Robaina said.

But selling the plan, which the state lawmaker plans to unveil today, means navigating a political minefield.

For the plan to take hold, Robaina must weave through well-paid lobbyists while convincing the cities to give up control over their own departments. And then there are the firefighters' unions, which would have to accept demotions for several chiefs and deputies.

Not even Metro-Dade Fire Union leaders, who helped create the blueprint for the plan and would stand to gain new members and new influence under it, are willing to back Robaina's initiative publicly -- yet.

''He asked us to do this a few weeks ago, and we provided him with the information,'' said Metro-Dade Fire Union Chief Stan Hills.

Robaina said he intends to offer his consolidation plan statewide. All counties that agree to absorb their municipal fire departments into a single department would be exempt from cutting fire services as part of the property tax reform effort that resumes June 12. He said he intends to offer the plan as an amendment to any property tax reform bill that's voted on in Tallahassee.

The plan is bound to face opposition in Miami-Dade's municipal governments.

Hialeah Mayor Julio Robaina -- no relation to the state lawmaker -- called it ``pandering to the fire union in Dade County.''

A study last summer showed Hialeah would save $2.8 million the first year it merged with Miami-Dade, but Mayor Robaina determined the savings weren't enough to dismantle the department, which costs more than $25 million a year to run. He predicted that in the long run, Hialeah taxpayers would have to pay more if they joined the Special Taxing District that currently funds Miami-Dade's Fire Rescue Department at about $400 million a year.

''Economically, they don't have a handle on it,'' he said.

Nonetheless, retired Hialeah Firefighters Union Chief Luis Espinosa said the city's department could stand to cut some costs to provide service and improve staffing. Hills, the county union chief, said that done correctly, creating a single fire department ``would be seamless. Nobody would notice the difference except for the firefighters.''

Coral Gables Fire Chief Rick Cook disagreed.

''I definitely think there is going to be a huge impact on public service,'' Cook said. ``But I don't think a regionalized fire department is something I see coming out of this. Unless we become too expensive for Coral Gables, I don't think they'd ever think of giving us up.''

Carlos Gimenez, a county commissioner who was the fire chief and then manager of the city of Miami, said some facets of consolidation -- like a single radio frequency and eliminating redundancy issues -- are viable. But he doesn't believe there's a lot of support for consolidation.

''Some cities just want to have control of a department. What at least this does is it puts some things on the table and creates a framework,'' he said.

I remember at one point they were talking about doing the same for police department.

06-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Horse manure! Miami-Dade County is not Broward, our county is blessed to have within its major municipalities, among the best and most effective Fire/Rescue professionals in the State of Florida.

This is all about political posturing, Speaker Rubio conceived and championed the property tax reduction idea, so Robaina has to propose an initiative that at first reading sounds plausible, but when closely examined, it falls apart. When it comes to Fire and Rescue services, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ours is not broken!

09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
this would be a great idea

09-29-2009, 12:31 AM

I think we should merge Community Relations with PIO.

09-29-2009, 01:06 AM

You are the voice of the unknowing. For one, it would raise fire insurance cost ALL over the county. You see, those rates are based on the rating the fire dept has by the insurance industry. Miami, Hialeah, and I think the beach are class 1 fire depts. the highest you can get, thus lower rates. But the county is rated a 13 last time I heard. But you don't see their rating on the trucks do you? Fire hydrants and personnel staffing have a lot to do with this. Also response time. So, you want everyone to pay more insurance, do as the story says. Besides, having lived in the county, I learned the hard way you pay more for less services. Not the employee's fault. And Miami FRS, were the first paramedics in the country. Bigger is not always better. So you want to take a giant step backwards, go for it.

09-29-2009, 01:07 AM

Better idea, let's merge Admin Guy with midnight patrol. Just about 5 short weeks buddy boy!

09-29-2009, 02:12 AM

Better idea, let's merge Admin Guy with midnight patrol. Just about 5 short weeks buddy boy!

Admin your pulling these kids chain really good. They think your real. They fail to see that admin guy types, don't have the balls to say this stuff as the fear factor won't let them. But you keep on raising their blood pressure and heart rate, it's the closest thing to a work out some of them get.

09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Enough of these six figure salaries,,,merge them. I personally believe that the county fire department does a fine job, and everyone would benefit from the merger. All of this talk about ratings is all a smoke screen in order to protect the little fiefdoms that have been developed over time. Do it, we will save money in the long run. After all, firemen look out for themselves and no one else when it comes down to money. So why should we care about them.

09-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Unlike our mickey mouse union, the fire departments which get payed doctors wages are to strong to be ruled by politics.

09-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Enough of these six figure salaries,,,merge them. I personally believe that the county fire department does a fine job, and everyone would benefit from the merger. All of this talk about ratings is all a smoke screen in order to protect the little fiefdoms that have been developed over time. Do it, we will save money in the long run. After all, firemen look out for themselves and no one else when it comes down to money. So why should we care about them.

Why? Seen a MFD EMS truck take a corner on two wheels. They had been told a Miami cop was shot as their reference. Upon arrival, they were happy to learn our cop had been cold ****ed by a 22 offender running around a blind corner, and knock out cold. The only people you can count on to stop the bleeding and start the breathing if your"having a bad day" are your fellow cops and FIRE RESCUE. And the county sucks in any and all aspects of any service.

09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
This plan died two (2) years ago; it isn't being considered anymore by the legislature, why are we still talking about it?

Don't you guys have a life?

09-30-2009, 12:40 AM
This plan died two (2) years ago; it isn't being considered anymore by the legislature, why are we still talking about it?

Don't you guys have a life?

No buddy we dont. After this whole fiasco I am left with a bitter taste. In so many words I have been told by the city I work in that my life is not worth equal pay to others. I give the M.F.D credit atleast there they are paid across the board ulike here where a chosen few are given all the money.