PDA

View Full Version : Unprofessional Recruiters

06-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Not long ago I interviewed with the SPD and I have to say I was shocked and disappointed by the way I was treated. I've applied with several departments in Broward and though I have yet to be hired I was at least treated with respect and common courtesy by the other departments.

I've been a cop for a few years and the way I was treated by the recruiters at SPD was just sad. Rude and unprofessional just doesn't describe it all. I don't know what they hope or think they accomplish by being obnoxious but all it did was turn me off to the entire department. I talked to a friend in the Broward PBA and he told me the whole department has an "irregular" reputation.

Maybe its the fact that people are attracted to the high pay and benefits so the recruiters think they can disrespect applicants all they want and still have more people applying. I don't know, but it doesn't generate good will. I will be working in a city near Sunrise soon and unfortunatley if anyone asks about it, I won't have anything good to say. What's worse, if they are willing to treat a fellow LEO this way, how do they treat citizens? That kind of behavior negatively effects the entire LE community.

06-02-2007, 04:23 AM
You're prolly just mad that you failed your interview. It's all good, we are all getting turned down, I went as far as the job offer and got the boot.

06-02-2007, 10:35 AM
in all the years I have been here, this is the FIRST time I have ever heard of the administration being rude to new hires, LOL.

Sorry to hear you didnt make it. Maybe you were being "tested," ever think that? To think if you can handle people acting a particular way towards you? Hmmmmmmmmm

Ya know, when you wear that uniform, you are public enemy number one, are you going to complain to the mayor that the citizens are being rude and unprofessional on all your calls? C'mon man, move on!

06-02-2007, 06:48 PM
I am in the middle of the hiring process with SPD and everyone has been great to me, very professional and I felt welcomed the entire time I was in the office.

Not sure if they were testing you like another poster said or what but compared to a few other departments SPD really made me feel comfortable.

06-02-2007, 08:02 PM
I thought I made it clear in my first post, but apparently not. I am not bitter about not making it with the department. As I said, they were one of several departments I applied with and they were not the only one to turn me down. I don't have a problem with that or with being tested. But if you can't test someone without lowering yourself, then that shows both a lack of training and or imagination.

I've dealt with the public for years and have had my share of violent encounters. I can take whatever people throw at me, I just expect better from fellow LEOs and you should too. Its rediculous to justify a LEO's behavior by comparing it to the public, we are held to a higher standard.

That being said, if I wanted payback I would have come on here and named names or singled people out, so you can't dismiss my comments that easily. I don't want make anything difficult for anyone. My hope was that the recruiters themselves would read the post and rethink their behavior. Apparently constructive criticism isn't welcome. Maybe that's part of the problem.

And to the other applicant who posted and said they were treated with respect, I'm glad to hear it. All I'm saying is that every applicant should be treated with the same respect.

06-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I thought I made it clear in my first post, but apparently not. I am not bitter about not making it with the department. As I said, they were one of several departments I applied with and they were not the only one to turn me down. I don't have a problem with that or with being tested. But if you can't test someone without lowering yourself, then that shows both a lack of training and or imagination.

I've dealt with the public for years and have had my share of violent encounters. I can take whatever people throw at me, I just expect better from fellow LEOs and you should too. Its rediculous to justify a LEO's behavior by comparing it to the public, we are held to a higher standard.

That being said, if I wanted payback I would have come on here and named names or singled people out, so you can't dismiss my comments that easily. I don't want make anything difficult for anyone. My hope was that the recruiters themselves would read the post and rethink their behavior. Apparently constructive criticism isn't welcome. Maybe that's part of the problem.

And to the other applicant who posted and said they were treated with respect, I'm glad to hear it. All I'm saying is that every applicant should be treated with the same respect.

well. i am glad you did not make the cut. you seem to be a bit on the whiney side. "they treated me wrong. I am a fellow LEO, I should be treated better, blah blah."

I have never heard one complaint ever of the administration in the way they treated an applicant. maybe you are just being overpicky or just expect everyone to bow down to you?

Goodluck with all the other departments that accepted you, hope you make a wise choice.

06-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Look, just throw this BS behind you and move on, there are alot of other depts. to try out for. Even if personnel was rude to you for whatever reason deal with it for as long as the hiring process is, you won't have to hear from it too much once you get hired. Hopefully you get on somewhere soon, I know Broward County needs more LEO's. I'm getting turned down everywhere. Good Luck!

06-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I know the recruiters and they are professional officers. Maybe it was a misunderstanding or someone was having a bad day. Whatever the case, maybe it wasn't meant to be. Good luck and hope you get hired soon.

Just something to think about, SPD has always had problems. Great officers but a bad chief and city officials. They just recently got a good contract and hopefully will get a chief with some balls to tell the city commissioners to F-off. Every department at one time or another goes through tuff times and bad contracts. Fort Lauderdale PD is a prime example. They were the elite and now look at them. Worst place to work. Most officers change departments at least once in their career.

And sometimes the grass is always greener, and sometimes its not.

06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
[quote="Guest 123"]I know the recruiters and they are professional officers.[quote]

what city do you work for?

07-16-2007, 02:25 AM
Hey I do not care if they are rude to me because I am used to my department being rude to me. Is Sunrise still hiring? I am going to put it an application. I do not even have a take home. I know Sunrise has take home cars.

07-19-2007, 12:00 PM
yes they are.