PDA

View Full Version : Districts with schedules

06-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Has this acting major even qualified with his gun yet? :?

What districts out there currently have a schedule? How is it set up? Do you have any flexibility whatsoever?

Mod 361
06-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Has anyone heard about the meeting with the PBA? They were supposed to be working on some issues...

Hey, Agents...I know you've been reading this forum. Instead of just checking it over, do like Sir Osis and post! You don't have to register, so get involved!!! :devil:

06-03-2007, 03:12 AM
It is only a matter of time until all the districts go to shifts - after all, most of the places this agency deals with are open from 8-5 arent they? After all, it would be fitting along with the daily and weekly and monthly activity sheets - soon it will be like we are all back on the road - keeping minute by minute logs of our time...all due to accredidation right??? Wonder what the next excuse will be....

06-04-2007, 02:15 AM
The real issue isn't a schedule, the real issue is some folks don't want to be told what to do and certainly don't want someone telling them when to do it. It is quite a paradox, isn't it? I mean we want to be law enforcement officers (and I am using the rhetorical "we") but we want to do it without the "hassles" that law enforcement agencies have to deal with. It is very hard to schedule investigations - I don't know of any agency that has had sucess in doing so. I think the real intention of the schedule was to increase coverage and direct what is being done in the field. A schedule may not be the most effective approach but it is certainly a step toward more accountability. There are offices where agents are out working everyday (or night.) They are out with other agencies, out working complaints, out doing law enforcement work, gathering intel, generating self initiated activity, you know, the stuff normally done in investigative agencies. These are the ones who don't need a schedule - Hell, you have to tell them to go home and get some sleep. Then you have "The Others." These poor misfits just don't get it. The have a sense of entitlement. They can normally be found spending as much time trying to get out of work as they spend actually doing it. You may know someone like this.
Their typical day goes something like this:
Get to the office around 8:30-8:45 (even though they claim they started work at 8:00am or before.)
Kill a couple hours on personal business (phone calls, paying bills, shopping on-line)
Spend a few minutes creating the illusion of work (this is where they walk the halls with an assortment of papers and a worried look on their face.)
Comment to others about their case load while they leave for lunch.
A couple hours going to, eating and returning from lunch sets the stage for the rest of the day.
Do a few "Howdy Doody" inspections to keep the Lt happy and to have something for the weekly.
Then before you know it, it is time to head home. When the LT can't explain what you are doing and the weekly shows 8 hours of activity for 40 hours of work, there is a problem. Thank "The Others."

ABTNEWGUY
08-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks "others"

08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't agree with schedules but I also don't agree with working with people that are constantly making excuses as to why they cannot work at night. I'm tired of a lot of the new people thinking they can work this job form 8a-5p. Our investigations are in bars which if some of you are not aware - bars are open until 2am - some even later - how do you justify never working nights.

08-22-2007, 03:46 AM
You know why - they are the chosen ones. Those who are above ABT rules - they have "been here and done it all" - then retire! Most agents in my office come in and work 7-3 - what can you do then? I cant remember the last time they worked a night or weekend. I wish the captains could enforce this policy - but i doubt it!

08-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Guest 321 and nodoubt - You don't have an agent problem, you have a supervisory problem. The captains and lt's can do something about that, if they were properly motivated to act.

09-05-2007, 04:32 AM
It is only a matter of time until all the districts go to shifts - after all, most of the places this agency deals with are open from 8-5 arent they? After all, it would be fitting along with the daily and weekly and monthly activity sheets - soon it will be like we are all back on the road - keeping minute by minute logs of our time...all due to accredidation right??? Wonder what the next excuse will be....

If you are basing your comments on accreditation, we have nothing to worry about. This agency is the most disorganized accredited agency I have ever seen. There is not one office that runs the same as another. And I am not talking about jurisdictional lines; I am talking about simple standardized things. Paperwork for instance; some offices are killing trees in the name of accreditation, while others are not.

09-13-2007, 05:26 AM
I don't agree with schedules but I also don't agree with working with people that are constantly making excuses as to why they cannot work at night. I'm tired of a lot of the new people thinking they can work this job form 8a-5p. Our investigations are in bars which if some of you are not aware - bars are open until 2am - some even later - how do you justify never working nights.

bars?! oh, I didn't know we were supposed to work those.

sorry. this posting is so late I just learned about this website. :oops:

10-19-2007, 01:46 AM
The real issue isn't a schedule, the real issue is some folks don't want to be told what to do and certainly don't want someone telling them when to do it. It is quite a paradox, isn't it? I mean we want to be law enforcement officers (and I am using the rhetorical "we") but we want to do it without the "hassles" that law enforcement agencies have to deal with. It is very hard to schedule investigations - I don't know of any agency that has had sucess in doing so. I think the real intention of the schedule was to increase coverage and direct what is being done in the field. A schedule may not be the most effective approach but it is certainly a step toward more accountability. There are offices where agents are out working everyday (or night.) They are out with other agencies, out working complaints, out doing law enforcement work, gathering intel, generating self initiated activity, you know, the stuff normally done in investigative agencies. These are the ones who don't need a schedule - Hell, you have to tell them to go home and get some sleep. Then you have "The Others." These poor misfits just don't get it. The have a sense of entitlement. They can normally be found spending as much time trying to get out of work as they spend actually doing it. You may know someone like this.
Get to the office around 8:30-8:45 (even though they claim they started work at 8:00am or before.)
Kill a couple hours on personal business (phone calls, paying bills, shopping on-line)
Spend a few minutes creating the illusion of work (this is where they walk the halls with an assortment of papers and a worried look on their face.)
A couple hours going to, eating and returning from lunch sets the stage for the rest of the day.
Do a few "Howdy Doody" inspections to keep the Lt happy and to have something for the weekly.
Then before you know it, it is time to head home. When the LT can't explain what you are doing and the weekly shows 8 hours of activity for 40 hours of work, there is a problem. Thank "The Others."

The best part is that this behavior is allowed and encouraged by the supervisors.......Because they all do the same!

11-06-2007, 10:26 PM
There are 8 districts. Which one's use a schedule/calendar or whatever you want to call it? I wonder which one's actually try to assign agents particular tasks based on a calendar?

11-07-2007, 01:37 AM
There are 8 districts. Which one's use a schedule/calendar or whatever you want to call it? I wonder which one's actually try to assign agents particular tasks based on a calendar?

There are "7" districts unless you are counting Georgia..which we no longer work!

11-07-2007, 01:49 AM
You are correct. I count
Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Orlando, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa. I also included Central office as a district. Do you know which use schedules or calendars?

11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
You are correct. I count
Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Orlando, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa. I also included Central office as a district. Do you know which use schedules or calendars?

aren't offices like Ft Myers, Panama City, Ft. Pierce & Ocala still considered "District" offices??

11-07-2007, 11:03 PM
You are correct. I count

aren't offices like Ft Myers, Panama City, Ft. Pierce & Ocala still considered "District" offices??

Nope...read the policy. They are "field" offices of the specific district. The captain is the district supervisor, who may be over more than one "field" office.

10-26-2013, 03:14 AM

This post was from 2007. What has really changed?

10-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Has this acting major even qualified with his gun yet? :?

What districts out there currently have a schedule? How is it set up? Do you have any flexibility whatsoever?
:oops: