PDA

View Full Version : Professional Courtesy

05-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper S. Miller #767 was professional and to the point during a traffic stop. Although there is no excuse on my part, I must say that not being from the area and in fear that I would get lost while driving to the airport, I lost track of my speed. I was surprised that a speeding summons is actually less than in Florida...

05-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Did you get a ticket or were you afforded professional courtesy?

05-29-2007, 12:46 PM
The ticket was in the amount of $166.00.

05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
So much for professional courtesy! That RAT 8astard!

Ten8hotel
05-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Professional courtesy is when YOU are professional and courtiously obey the speed limit so that another LEO doesn't have to chase you down - risking his own safety etc. Then if you get a warning it's a nice surprise, not a right of passage.

05-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Gotta love postings like the one before mine. What a Rat Peice of CRA$. I don't work for your agency, work for Sarasota SO where we have our fair share of rat bastar$$ who have written our own and even locked up our own for DUI, instead of the courtesy ride home.

Trust me, when they call for a backup, I will respond as I see fit keeping in mind their status on the rat chart.

We give slime bags breaks, and we can't take care of own? GET REAL!

And like I said, those of you coming to the Police Games, if Im working and stop you your badge is all you need. However, we have a couple of real loosers here that have already said they bet they'll bag a cop!

05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
yes...good post

JulieAnna
05-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Ten8Hotel- I agree with your post :wink:

05-29-2007, 11:18 PM
i was talking to the other guy...the non-traffic-nazi

05-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Ten8Hotel - You're moniker says it all. You're ready to write the ticket regardless of who it is. You're probably one of those robots who would indeed write their own mother a ticket. Professional courtesy is not something that should be expected by an "offending" officer, but is indeed something that I would offer depending on the offense and the attitude of the person stopped. Most of us do that, even to stops involving non LEO. Too bad you have this attitude that you have to write everyone. Perhaps you just enjoy the reputation you're building.

veteranrookie
05-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm starting to see a trend with this topic...

It seems to be a LOSE LOSE conversation. You lose if you're the guy stopping another LEO brother and you lose if you are the guy getting stopped. I have an opinion about this but I'll keep it to myself for fear of being labeled by either side of this argument. I will say, I think it's best to let that situation dictate the outcome, when and if it happens (i.e. use discretion).

bad all the way around.

05-30-2007, 12:56 AM
i was talking to the other guy...the non-traffic-nazi

Traffic-nazi, I love it... "No kilo for you!" :x

05-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Ten8Hotel - You're moniker says it all. You're ready to write the ticket regardless of who it is. You're probably one of those robots who would indeed write their own mother a ticket. Professional courtesy is not something that should be expected by an "offending" officer, but is indeed something that I would offer depending on the offense and the attitude of the person stopped. Most of us do that, even to stops involving non LEO. Too bad you have this attitude that you have to write everyone. Perhaps you just enjoy the reputation you're building.

No, you’ve got it all wrong… I think his moniker means like “Hey that was a really 10-8 hotel I stayed at on my last vacation.”

05-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Yah the guys who write other brother and sister cops were picked on all their lives and now that they have a badge and a gun they feel that they are god. They take this job WAY to personal! BTW Juliana...are you even a cop? I don't believe you are so keep your opinion to yourself! A few ride alongs with the boys does not make you a cop. It makes you a cop wannabe!

05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
now that is funny

05-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Yah the guys who write other brother and sister cops were picked on all their lives and now that they have a badge and a gun they feel that they are god. They take this job WAY to personal! BTW Juliana...are you even a cop? I don't believe you are so keep your opinion to yourself! A few ride alongs with the boys does not make you a cop. It makes you a cop wannabe!

One word: unprofessional. Can't we keep this at least a little constructive? Even an arrogant person such as yourself should know that the internet allows non-leo's to access this site. Grow up.

JulieAnna
05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
For your information I never stated I was a cop. However, I do work for the sheriffs office. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I think its pretty pathetic that you have to put someone else down in order to get your opinion across. If you really feel the need to put someone down, at least post your real name. It's more mature than hiding behind the "GUEST" screen name and telling someone they are a cop wannabe. I do have to tell you though, you are right in one aspect. I do want to be a cop and one day I will be one. Hopefully I won't be as arrogant as you seem to be. :wink:

veteranrookie
05-30-2007, 04:49 PM
julieanna, your opinions are appreciated and welcome anytime.

JulieAnna
05-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks Vet! I appreciate that.

05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Juliana...if you do become a cop, DO NOT EVER write another cop a ticket for chicken$hit traffic infractions! That is career suicide and you won't go far as a cop! A few posters here will tell you different BUT real cops know that any cop who will write their own is NO GOOD! Period! Hopefully you listen to what I am telling you!

05-30-2007, 08:52 PM
During my 23 years of service, I have yet to write another cop, nor a doctor, nor a nurse, nor the transit bus operator a ticket. I am proud of that! I have even had the opportunity to hop in a "brother's" personal car, because he has had too much to drink, and taken him home. I will not change my stance. A "brother, is a Brother", no matter what uniform he or she wears. Like they say, there are plenty of "scum-bags" out there, to have to write another fellow officer.

05-31-2007, 12:53 AM
i concur

JulieAnna
05-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Juliana...if you do become a cop, DO NOT EVER write another cop a ticket for chicken$hit traffic infractions! That is career suicide and you won't go far as a cop! A few posters here will tell you different BUT real cops know that any cop who will write their own is NO GOOD! Period! Hopefully you listen to what I am telling you!

When I become a cop; I will use officer discretion. There is no difference between a speeding civilian and a speeding cop. Either one can cause an accident. However, I believe in giving warnings to people who have a decent driving record (cop or civilian). When I first started with the CCSO in 98', I was pulled over by one of our deputies and was not given a warning. In fact, I received my first ticket that day. I don't hold any hard feelings towards that deputy(even though he was really nasty to me) because I know I was wrong in doing what I did. Now when I catch myself speeding, I remember the day I got that ticket and it causes me to slow down. As for DUI- thats not something I would bend on at all. If I pulled someone over and they were driving under the influence (cop or not) they are going to face the consequences of their actions. On that note, If anyone is planning on drinking and they know they are too tanked to drive...CALL A FRIEND or CALL A CAB. It's something called COMMON SENSE. Hopefully you will listen to what I am telling you, Guest. I respect your opinion so please respect mine.

06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
omg. the future of law enforcement does not look to hot.

JulieAnna
06-01-2007, 03:08 PM
omg. the future of law enforcement does not look to hot.

You are right Guest; if you are in it then it doesn't look to hot! :lol:

JulieAnna
06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
You know what "Guest"? I apologize for my last statement. I am not one who would usually stoop down to your level of maturity. My bad! Hope you can forgive me. I will try to be the more mature one in this discussion. I still stand by my opinion. It's called Officer Discretion. It all depends on the situation in front of you and the circumstances surrounding it. Career suicide would be having the new cameras record you or me letting someone go who is completely plastered. Your opinion on this matter would probably be different if someone you knew and loved was killed by a drunk driver. I hope that is something you never have to deal with. However if that situation ever occurs, I will be there for you to lean on. Just give me a call and I will be there... :wink:

06-01-2007, 06:43 PM
oh dear god, the view called and they want you back

06-01-2007, 07:00 PM
oh dear god, the view called and they want you back

Why do people feel compelled to belittle others?

Guest, she is an employee at CCSO, not some random citizen who happen to stumble upon this web site. Show some respect and compassion to family.

And people wonder why there is no more professional courtesy…

06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
does her employment here make her any better than a "random citizen"?

06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
To Guest who wants to belittle Julianna...
While I personally disagree with her stance on professional courtesy, I think she has a perfect right to express her opinion whether she is a regular citizen, a civilian employee, or a certified member, and to express that opinion without snide comments comparing her to Rosie O'Donnell. Those comments tend to reflect more on the commentator than the target and if you are indeed an LEO, then I think you should be above that. Civilians whether or not employed by a law enforcement agency look at our jobs differently than we do and we need to keep that in mind. Twenty two years on the job teaches a lot and I'm happy to say that I've never had to write another cop a ticket and I'm just as happy to say that in the three times over that period that I've been stopped, I've not been given one either. Professional courtesy is a valid concept. I don't know of another profession that requires you, by policy, of reporting yourself to your supervisors for an off duty traffic violation, but law enforcement does, so extending a warning to another officer in lieu of a citation for a minor violation is something that I am happy to grant.
Julianna, you are entitled to your opinions, but do not harshly judge officers who may give a ride home to another officer who may be DUI. Everyone makes mistakes. I personally have taken home a spouse of a county commissioner and the elected state attorney from a county in another state. Officer discretion told me that there was more to be served by that choice than by arrest. On the other hand, I have arrested people with so called "clout" because of their attitudes during the stop. All I'm asking you is to not be critical of an officer who gives a pass to another.

Ten8hotel
06-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree that attitude can play a big part in actions taken but some people also need to realize that some HAVE to play by strict rules all of the time because of this thing called DVD. I do not want to watch myself on the evening news telling a drunk cop to slide over whilst I hop in his personal car and drive him home after pulling him or her over not realizing what kind of a spit sandwich I was about to bite into. The "excuse" that the video just happened to not be working during that one rare occasion won't hold up like you think it will. I'll keep my job thank you very much and just hope I don't have to ever face that situation. Soon, we'll ALL have the DVD. What will you do then? Call the camera system a rat? cause that's what it's going to be when they randomly review them and ponder the odd things you do caught on tape and wonder how long they can keep your academy award winning movies off the t.v.

06-01-2007, 09:52 PM
does her employment here make her any better than a "random citizen"?

Gee, I don't know Guest? Do you treat CCSO family members any different than a random citizen?

I know I do!

06-01-2007, 10:14 PM
i ensure her constitutional guarantees...and yours...and the random citizen...you those pesky inalienable rights. i try not to judge people by the person who signs their paycheck. if she is better than a random citizen, who is better than her? a soldier? a priest? all equal my friend, based on respect not on membership to any given organization.

06-01-2007, 10:25 PM
If comparing her to Rosie FatO'Donell is equal, based on respect not on membership to any given organization, then I hope you never have contact with my family.

Your comment, the one that started this diaolog, was not professional nor courteous. You may "Ensure her constitutional guarantees and those pesky inalienable rights" but if you do it with that arrogant, condenscending attitude then you are only a hero in your own eyes.

To believe in something is big but how you excecute your beliefs is bigger.

mach3
06-02-2007, 01:11 AM
It all comes down to teh extremes. Whether it is another cop or not, if a person goes beyond your limit, into the extremes, then you may have to do something about it. I have only issued one citation in 20 years to a retired officer. As I started to pull him over for 20+ over, he stuck his NYPD (retired) badge out the window and continued on without even slowing down. After he realized I was not going to turn my lights off, he pulled over. I walked up to the car and his first comment was, "What the hell are you doing, can't you see I was on the job!" It went south from there adn he got a ticket! Starting off with, "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention..." would have got him a kilo. Some people talk themselves into it.

JulieAnna
06-02-2007, 04:07 AM
Guest- I do not remember harshly judging anyone. I agree with officer discretion. I never said I would think badly of another deputy for helping someone out. What I said is that I would never bend on DUI. I have personal reasons for that. Hence the reason that my opinion on that is so strong. I apologize if it came off that I was judging someone who has helped another out. As for the person who called me Rosie...well its not worth my time to respond to that. I just hope you felt better after posting that. I just dont understand why when two people dont agree on something (especially two adults), why we feel need to belittle each other. Its okay to have different opinions. Its what makes us individuals. I apologize if anyone on here feels that I did that. That is not who I am. Maybe part of the reason that my opinion on this is different is because I have never been on the road other than for a few ride alongs and the only interaction I have had with a DUI call is when 2 people I knew died. You probably won't see me posting on here much anymore because (being human) I do not like having someone call me names or belittle me for voicing my opinion on a matter that is brought up. However, despite the name calling I just want everyone on here to know that I still respect everyone who works for the CCSO and only wish you the best. Be safe out there.

06-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I never said I was a hero. There are very few who meet that measure. What I am is pragmatic. I am a realist. I know that we are, per capita, no more upstanding than many other professions. I give breaks to cop - I also give breaks to teachers, nurses, doctors, fireman, paramedics...I even give breaks to seemingly decent citizens how don't have a lengthy history. My job is not to ruin lives, it is to maintain the peace and help others. Sometimes it takes an arrest to effect change, and sometimes some some human decency (disguised as discretion) works as well.

06-02-2007, 05:35 PM
i ask that you guest people leave julle anna alone. like many cop hopefulls or new roookie cops she is full of the images of adam 12 and the texxtbook supercop from movies and gallls and blachhawk catalogs. a few years of hard reality on the street wiill temper and form her and teach her that not all is so cut and dry. haha ----- a few years on the street is something our sheriff amd most of the commmandd staff do not have. you all know what i say...

Paradise
06-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I am glad you clarified that because for a moment there I thought you were referring to that P.I. guy running for Sheriff :lol:

06-02-2007, 10:00 PM
magnum for sheriff?

06-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Higgins for Sheriff......a no nonsense kind of guy

06-03-2007, 11:30 AM
JulieAnna do not take the following as a personal attack. There is a HUGE difference between discretion and stupidity. You made mention of the in car video we all have in our cars. That does not make me do my job any different than before. You made a statement about letting someone go who is "plastered." That is stupid. I don't think anyone I work with or have worked with would stop a drunk, deputy or not, and just let them go. Every encounter on the street is different from the one before.You can't sit there and say how you would do the job until you have done the job.

Everyone talks about how they deal with the average joe and LEO's. I have had some encounters with off duty LEO's and CO's, and do you know who knows about it? Nobody but me and them.

We are not looked at as heros like Firefighters are. Most people could care less about how nice we treat them. You almost never hear about it. But let a veteran cop have an off day and maybe say something a liitle sideways to some civilian and before you know it your in the Lt.'s office trying to explain yourself and writing a memo. Walk a mile in our shoes before you tell evryone how your going to do the job of an LEO.

06-03-2007, 12:34 PM
come on zone, you mean it's not all puppies and ice cream?

06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Yea it is all puppies and ice cream......puppies that pee all over the place and diet ice cream....hoo ahh

veteranrookie
06-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Well hell, I damn sure didn't sign up for Diet Ice Cream!

06-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Well said Zone. People (Civilians) have alot of misconceptions about what we do.

06-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Ten8Hotel, T100-HM, and Dayshift Tango Sgt-CG, all share the same viewpoint. Protect my own job and screw the poor sapp that was going a little over the speed limit.

Everybody knows that the Cuban Cowboy-Tango Gonzo, was an out of control speed freak of a wreckless driver when he was in Patrol. Now that he is SAVING LIVES with T100 one ticket at a time, he is hell bent on stamping out deputy speeding. He's delusional.

:shock:

06-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Guest1011 you're dead on. Everyone knows Gonz's reputation, but he never got caught. Now that he wants the Lt.'s spot everything has changed. Throw someone under the bus and move up. Working for T100 has taught him how to play the game. I had better shut-up now, i can see big trouble in my future. hoo ahh

06-27-2007, 09:33 AM
been worthless for years

07-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Zonedrone,
Per your comment on 06/03/07, regarding a cop not letting anyone "plastered" go. I would like to revisit an incident when a D1 officer had a person pulled over for DUI. A STEB unit was on scene. The person knew a certain Lt. that happans to work in STEB. The person called this "Lt." and and advised him of the situation. This "Lt." called the STEB unit and told him to let the person go. Now, that is setting great example. Just a thought.

07-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Tribe member.

07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
How about the time where a certain CID Investigator was arrested after getting a vehicle stuck in the field, with no wheel witness? The Sgt that spearheaded and arrested him even though there was no wheel witness. Funny. This same Sgt was heard talking on the tack channel just days before about "no wheel witness then I can't make an arrest" The same Sgt carries on the same BS today. No wheel witness...no go. Why did he make a change in his ways on ONE single incident? Did he have the need to impress someone? He is still a sgt so it doesn't look like the plan worked....yet until he strikes again without a wheel witness. Lets be consistant and not go out of our way to screw a fellow deputy. If the deputy is wrong, if he beats his wife, if he hurts someone, lets get him.

PS: Don't go to Pelican Larry's during the night hours. That Sgt might get ya.

07-13-2007, 11:23 PM
crazyeyes. I don't think you were there. Otherwise your facts would be straight. The Sgt. didn't make that decision. The FLT. made that "suggestion" and that "now" Sgt. ran with it out of fear.

07-13-2007, 11:43 PM
sorry crazyeyes. I meant guest1010.

07-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Out of fear. Now thats funny. A Sgt. without a spine.

07-14-2007, 11:17 AM
It's not funny, it is an epidemic. The spread of the disease is due to the political canabalism that has been fostered around here.

07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
So let me get this straight. An LT showed up on scene, at night, to a vehicle stuck in the field call. Then the LT forced the "now" Sgt to complete FST's. On top of all that the LT forced the "now" Sgt to find the person that was not even behind the steering wheel of a vehicle DUI? Sounds like a bad arrest or an unlawful order that should not have been followed. Five-oh, if you have information that an unlawful order was given to an officer you have the duty to act or report this!!

07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
i believe that donald was even contacted, and he informed the off-duty deputy to "cooperate and he would be fine". i wouldn't have made that arrest with a gun to my head.

Paparazzi LEO
07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
This is old news. Can't you find something else to moan about?

07-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Sometimes the "old news", that is the old wounds, just do not heal. They just spread, like cancer. This agency is full of such wounds and cancers. Very diseased and in need of a new sheriff. Retnuh is right. Some people can just take it, again and again, and just let things like this keep happening. The grass is not that green. The money is, but not the grass. :evil:

07-15-2007, 04:19 PM
The only cancer around here is you!! You are a very bitter person trying to spread your hatred to others. I think it is time for you to retire. I am tired of reading all of your negative bullcrap. Paradise, George and the likes are not the only happy people at this agency. There are others despite your mean dialogs!!

What a loser "L"

07-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Another cool-aid drinker heard from.

07-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Dear "Dr." CCSO: Did I say something to upset you? It was the truth. Hurts, doesn't it?

10-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Ya'll remember this topic?? Kinda reminds you to slow down nowadays.

10-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Guest1010, get your facts straight. When someone loses control of their vehicle and buries it in the bushes, it is called a CRASH. When someone is in a crash, is Mirandized, and admits to driving, they can be arrested for DUI. It is not a bad arrrest. You don't seem to know your DUI rules very well. In addition, if you are a Cpl (which that Sgt was at the time), and both the Sheriff and Field Lt. instruct you to conduct an investigation, then you are probably going to do it. Unless of course you are independently wealthy and have someone else who will pay your bills.

If you drive drunk out of Pelican Larry's, then shame on you for putting other deputies in that position.

10-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh, and Guest1010, if you actually want the facts, rather than just whining and running your mouth, you can obtain any agency cell phone number by calling dispatch. Let me guess- you don't have the balls. I have never known that Sgt to be unwilling to discuss that incident.

10-20-2007, 11:04 PM
settle down Beth. Guest1010 wrote about your man three months ago. Time to defend was then.

The only thing I remember about the whole incident was the PC stood for Probable Cause and not Politically Correct :oops:

10-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I am sure he is equally boneheaded three months later!!

10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
I guess if I am going to get annoyed with stupidity I shoudl look at the webiste more than once every seven months :D

10-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Or even better, stop reading it at all. It's like a hideous car crash, you don't want to look but every once in a while you do!

10-20-2007, 11:21 PM
thats ok. It is a litttle addicting at times and funny at others. But over-all I enjoy it. It gives us a chance to shoot the bull and let loose about things we would not normally talk about. Every once in a while something good is even posted :shock:

10-22-2007, 05:00 AM
Gotta love postings like the one before mine. What a Rat Peice of CRA$. I don't work for your agency, work for Sarasota SO where we have our fair share of rat bastar$$ who have written our own and even locked up our own for DUI, instead of the courtesy ride home.

Trust me, when they call for a backup, I will respond as I see fit keeping in mind their status on the rat chart.

We give slime bags breaks, and we can't take care of own? GET REAL!

And like I said, those of you coming to the Police Games, if Im working and stop you your badge is all you need. However, we have a couple of real loosers here that have already said they bet they'll bag a cop!

*This post was removed by Mod 167. Please refer to the thread titled "Attention Guest Users" if you need more information as to why this post was deleted.

10-22-2007, 11:53 AM
*This post was removed by Mod 167. Please refer to the thread titled "Attention Guest Users" if you need more information as to why this post was deleted....but it was damn funny!

10-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Just remember, there is no room for error in your professional life or personal life. Stay on the straight and narrow and you will be fine.

10-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Good advice. But what the agency defines as the straight and narrow changes all the time with out notice.

10-25-2007, 08:33 PM
...except "fishing trips" to costa rica...those are alright...and they got bridgette a job.

10-26-2007, 12:26 AM
fising trips to castarica. thats funny. :lol:

11-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Some old news for a few are very fresh for others