PDA

View Full Version : We have it good.

05-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I originally posted this in the "where are they now" section but it was off topic so I decided to start a new topic. I'm going to try not to reply to the typical complainers as to not stoop to their level. Some people may need to read this to get their rears in check:

You have: Full off-duty use of your patrol car when gas prices are well over $3, free laptop computer with full internet access at (typically) broadband speed, insurance coverage (which when there is an increase, the county usually absorbs so we don't see it), a car radio which allows you to talk to Tokyo, a Sheriff and upper staff which fully supports their people (when the people are in the right), a car full of equipment (to include stop sticks, flashlight, extra radio battery on an in-car charger, shotgun, rifle if you want one, every report form known to man), any type of stationary you need to do your job more efficiently, the provision of everything you wear everyday (with the exception of socks, underwear, t-shirt, footwear, and sunglasses), a Glock .40 caliber handgun with attached light for low-light combat, GPS system to find your way around, a range that is open every day for you to practice your firearm skills, tuition reimbursement at state rate for college education... for ANY degree you WANT, salary incentive up to a master's degree (which is the exception, not the norm), dozens of specialty units to apply for, not a dime out of your pocket for state retirement.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but we have it pretty good at the Polk County Sheriff's Office. When you start feeling down, go to www.theledger.com (http://www.theledger.com) and look at the evaluation done at Bartow P.D. and see what they are having to go through right now, or talk to other people at other agencies and compare things with them. If you've never worked anywhere else, you probably are one crying, if you've worked elsewhere, you can really appreciate what we have at PCSO. Believe me, we could have it A LOT worse than the minor things we tend to complain about.

05-26-2007, 04:05 PM
well said, thank you Sir

05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
MINOR THINGS we cry about.. yeah your are sooo right.. working with less then HALF the manpower we should have per shift... no backup .... yeah those are petty details because WE HAVE FREE POST IT NOTES AND BLACK INK PENS...

and we can talk to TOKYO on our radios ??? YEAHHHHhh thats why when we get out of our cars our hand helds give us an OUT OF RANGE signal, busy signals, or plain out CANT be understood.

But hey, officer safety dont mean @#@! as long as we have free stationary . If you are trying to be a recruiter you REALLY need to wake up.

Your right we have SOME things that are good at this agency. But no we will not have full use of our take home cars for very long DUE to the gas prices and personally, I would rather know that we wont have to attend any deputy funerals because we had 5-6 deputies to cover one quarter of this very large and populated county.

guestt
05-26-2007, 07:12 PM
you know we do have it good at this agency. i have to agree with that. but just like in every other job out there, there are some things that arent so good. and this is just a place that we can come to vent and no one knows who you are unless you decide to use your real name. i have worked here for 5 years and wouldnt trade it for the world (most of the time) but there are things that piss me off that i want to get out that i cant just vent about at work because we all know that every department has one of those people who goes back to the supervisor and tattletales on everyone. thats all this forum is. dont call us cry babies and whiners or whatever because its part of human nature to disagree with some things about our lives and jobs. nothing and no one is perfect and its nice to have a place were you can come to anonomously get things off your chest.

05-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Posted: 05/26/07 08:54:18 Post subject: We have it good.

You have: Full off-duty use of your patrol car when gas prices are well over $3, (I HOPE NOT FULL USE... It CERTAINLY ISNT FAIR FOR YOU TO USE THE VEHICLE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN PCSD BUSINESS)

free laptop computer with full internet access at (typically) broadband speed (THATS NICE, HOW OFTEN ARE YOUR LAPTOPS CHECKED FOR QUESTIONABLE WEB SITE VISITS, EMAIL COMMUNICATION, ETC?)

a car radio which allows you to talk to Tokyo (WHAT IN GODS NAME WOULD YOU NEED TO TALK TO ANYONE IN TOKYO FOR???)

a Sheriff and upper staff which fully supports their people (when the people are in the right) (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TO COVER THEIR AZZES)

I'm all for providing needed equipment.... I'm also all for weeding out the lazy 400 pounders who are their for a paycheck and could care less about protecting the taxpayers.

AFOR
05-29-2007, 01:07 PM
You guys do have it pretty good. You work for at a professional agency and for a progressive and well respected leader. It could be so much worse, you could work for LPD. It is not a professional agency, and has no leadership at all.

06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
No, sorry fellow law enforcement brothers, Tampa Police is where it is at.
How about take home cars outside of the county. Salary starting well over $40,000. plus much much more.

You do have those who have not worked any where else that complains about minor stuff. :wink:

06-08-2007, 03:57 PM
my GED is helping me move on!!!!!

06-08-2007, 03:59 PM
my GED is helping me TO move on!!!!!

06-09-2007, 11:26 PM
How about take home cars outside of the county. Salary starting well over $40,000. plus much much more.

You do have those who have not worked any where else that complains about minor stuff. :wink:

Sorry Brother,
Palm Beach SO is really where it's at- 46k to start, take-homes out of county, no city politics, still workin' for the sheriff, man!

06-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Posted: 05/26/07 08:54:18 Post subject: We have it good.

You have: Full off-duty use of your patrol car when gas prices are well over $3, (I HOPE NOT FULL USE... It CERTAINLY ISNT FAIR FOR YOU TO USE THE VEHICLE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN PCSD BUSINESS)
why can't they use the car for personal business? the presence of a marked unit can only be a good thing. and guess what: in the corporate world, people with company cars use 'em after work too ya bum.

free laptop computer with full internet access at (typically) broadband speed (THATS NICE, HOW OFTEN ARE YOUR LAPTOPS CHECKED FOR QUESTIONABLE WEB SITE VISITS, EMAIL COMMUNICATION, ETC?)
probably not as often as they should be... LOL but again, what do you care?

a car radio which allows you to talk to Tokyo (WHAT IN GODS NAME WOULD YOU NEED TO TALK TO ANYONE IN TOKYO FOR???)
this is known as sarcasm. ok: they can't talk to tokyo.

a Sheriff and upper staff which fully supports their people (when the people are in the right) (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TO COVER THEIR AZZES) what staff doesn't CYA? do you have any idea the amount of liability they incur?

I'm all for providing needed equipment.... I'm also all for weeding out the lazy 400 pounders who are their for a paycheck and could care less about protecting the taxpayers.

you sound like another civilian with no clue as to what the job entails. go bust balls somewhere else.

06-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Sorry Brother,
Palm Beach SO is really where it's at- 46k to start, take-homes out of county, no city politics, still workin' for the sheriff, man!

Sounds good however, the S0 have no good job protection without a union you stand to lose, been there done that. No city politics but the county politics are the worst especially when that sheriff is voted out.

you can retire after ten years as a Master patrolman here at $70.000 plus at the age of 46 years old an draw a pension as soon as you walk away.

I don't think the Sheriff will do that.

06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
[quote="Tampa Police Department":2v20oxvq]No, sorry fellow law enforcement brothers, Tampa Police is where it is at.

Sorry Brother,

Sounds good however, the S0 have no good job protection without a union you stand to lose, been there done that. No city politics but the county politics are the worst especially when that sheriff is voted out.

you can retire after ten years as a Master patrolman here at $70.000 plus at the age of 46 years old an draw a pension as soon as you walk away.

I don't think the Sheriff will do that.[/quote:2v20oxvq]

Also after 5 years of continues service you get a $500.00 bonus annually and after 10 years the bonus go up. :wink:

06-12-2007, 08:18 PM
TPD,
You are still PAYING a % into your pension right????? :wink:

06-12-2007, 11:35 PM
[quote="Tampa Police Department":30lwli51]No, sorry fellow law enforcement brothers, Tampa Police is where it is at.

Sorry Brother,

I don't think the Sheriff will do that.[/quote:30lwli51]

We have a union- the PBA. We have Career Service Protection- ranks below Captain can't be demoted by a new sheriff without cause. Deputies top out in 11 years at 72k, if you are an FTO-add 10% to that, if you go into the Career Deputy program you can make Career 4 in 16 years and top out at 88k (in this contract-sure to go up in the next). sergeants top out in 7 years at 98k, and Lts in 6 at 111k. All of the pluses of the city- none of the drawbacks.

06-13-2007, 02:17 PM
oh yeah! we have it sooo good. lets see, we work shorthanded every shift because the powers that be think that its ok to take away from patrol shift manpower to add on to specialty units and create new units. it gets old fast. all in the name of the numbers game that we play daily. and the daily procap speeches get old too. we want more, more, more! how about less specialty units and "more more more" people on shift. this is the sentiment agency wide. most are just afraid to say it.

06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
oh yeah! we have it sooo good. lets see, we work shorthanded every shift because the powers that be think that its ok to take away from patrol shift manpower to add on to specialty units and create new units. it gets old fast. all in the name of the numbers game that we play daily. and the daily procap speeches get old too. we want more, more, more! how about less specialty units and "more more more" people on shift. this is the sentiment agency wide. most are just afraid to say it.

I am sure if you quit they could replace you with the other applicants that will appreciate a paycheck.

Are you crying because you did not get picked for a specialty squad? Well maybe if you stop with the negative attitude you might get one.

06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
[quote="Tampa Police Department":181pe24y]No, sorry fellow law enforcement brothers, Tampa Police is where it is at.

Sorry Brother,

We have a union- the PBA. We have Career Service Protection- ranks below Captain can't be demoted by a new sheriff without cause. Deputies top out in 11 years at 72k, if you are an FTO-add 10% to that, if you go into the Career Deputy program you can make Career 4 in 16 years and top out at 88k (in this contract-sure to go up in the next). sergeants top out in 7 years at 98k, and Lts in 6 at 111k. All of the pluses of the city- none of the drawbacks.[/quote:181pe24y]

Sheriff's office still have a bad draw back. that it is a elected position and that could be scarry.

06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
you all are a bunch of quoters, and complainers........shut up and work!!!
this jack in the box signing off, saying God bless and good night.

if you don't like me you can tell me what you feel about me on the topic "you dont like me" .

06-13-2007, 03:33 PM
not "you dont like me" but its "mad at me"!! :x

06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
we do have it good, we could be without a job!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

07-01-2007, 04:14 AM
[quote="Tampa Police Department":2oxq548i]No, sorry fellow law enforcement brothers, Tampa Police is where it is at.

Sorry Brother,

We have a union- the PBA. We have Career Service Protection- ranks below Captain can't be demoted by a new sheriff without cause. Deputies top out in 11 years at 72k, if you are an FTO-add 10% to that, if you go into the Career Deputy program you can make Career 4 in 16 years and top out at 88k (in this contract-sure to go up in the next). sergeants top out in 7 years at 98k, and Lts in 6 at 111k. All of the pluses of the city- none of the drawbacks.

Sheriff's office still have a bad draw back. that it is a elected position and that could be scarry.[/quote:2oxq548i]

Typical city cop! I would rather work for a elected official who answers to the Governor than a city official who answers to the city manager. There are more mismanaged Police Departments than Sheriff's Offices. I've work for a city and got sick of them telling how and where I could do my job. Working for the Sheriff I do what I want when I want and now bound to city limits like you. I keep my star. The best thing that could is a county police agency with a combined police department/Sheriff like JSO.