PDA

View Full Version : PROMOTIONAL LIST

05-24-2007, 02:58 AM
I was in a meeting recently with the Sheriff and PBA. It was decided the present Sergeant and Lieutenant promotional list would carry over for an additional two years and there would be no testing in 2008. This was agreed upon because of the budget restraints and the cost of testing. Another factor was the fact minimal promotions would occur from these lists. Does anyone think the PBA is looking out for everyone now?

05-24-2007, 04:12 PM
What is the credibility of this posting? Will this be mentioned by the PBA?
Does this violate the current contract?

05-24-2007, 07:22 PM
PROVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING MORE TO STATE!!!

05-25-2007, 12:47 AM
I agree this is a good idea. With a budget crunch, it doesn't make sense to pay all that money (close to half a million dollars) to do a test when this list(s) will not be affected much. Sound financial thinking. Great idea.

05-27-2007, 04:59 AM
OUR DEPARTMENT WENT TO THIS TESTING AND MAGICAL ELIGIBILITY LIST AND SINCE THEN WE HAVE PRODUCED A BOWL OF FORMER FTO'S THAT WERE WANNA BE SERGEANTS TO BEGIN WITH THAT WERE NEVER IN SWAT, OCB, D BUREAU, TAC, K9 OR EVEN CP AND AS A RESULT, WE HAVE THEM TRYING TO EXERCISE AUTHORITY OVER A ROOM FULL OF GUYS AND GIRLS WHO KNOW MORE THAN THE SO CALLED SUPERVISOR. NOBODY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TEST FOR SGT WITHOUT AT LEAST 2 YRS IN ONE OF THE SPECIALTY/INVESTIGATORY UNITS. THE CYCLE HAS TO STOP. IT'S DESTROYING THE DEPARTMENT.

05-27-2007, 07:47 AM
hahaha...failed the test, huh?

05-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Well Common Sense Hero,

Most of those postions besides SWAT are popularity contests. The Sergeants' exam which cost around 500,000 dollars has been validated in court around the US to find the best of the best. Actually this last exam was geared towards people in specialized units. Just look at the performance evaluation worth 20 points. That's based on all your accomplishments. If your a slug good luck with it. The inbasket tested the Sergeant's priorities and COMMON SENSE. The SITUATIONAL EXAM tested tactiacal scenarios, etc on scenarios in which the Deputies have no idea on what it could be. A SWAT Deputy should have smoked other Deputies in this process. If they didn't hmmm...... Now if Deputies in specailized units did not come out on top after all the advantages they have on this process in which Road Patrol Deputies don't, shame on them . They probably didn't even earn the postions that their in now. Now once the best of the best get promoted. Your right they could become problems because of ego or laziness.

05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Yah most of the specialized units are popularity contests at PBSO. Hmm let's sit on an interview with my buddies. What's the matter specialized units. The Sergeants' exam had no buddies on it.

05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
IF most of the FTO's became Sgts look at how they treated their trainee's...they were like war lords over them and I pitty the trainee who stood up to an FTO.....And now this same mentality is supervising REAL cops....I can see the clash already.....We shall see what happens.....

05-28-2007, 08:10 PM
since when is the top 25% of a promotional list the bottm? give me a break. It's ok to be mad...**** to wait your turn knowing the openings are there and they don't promote, but to bash those form the old list....that is weak.

05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
since when is the top 25% of a promotional list the bottm? give me a break. It's ok to be mad...**** wait your turn knowing the openings are there and they don't promote, but to bash those form the old list....that is weak.

I agree with not bashing the old list. But top 25%???
The last two lists of Sergeants' and LTs' are more then 25%. I think if you showed up and put your name down you got promoted. There are plenty of Sgts and LTs who failed this last test and got promoted from the old one. But the contract say's promote until all vacancies are filled. So I agree leave them alone.

05-28-2007, 08:37 PM
OUR DEPARTMENT WENT TO THIS TESTING AND MAGICAL ELIGIBILITY LIST AND SINCE THEN WE HAVE PRODUCED A TOILETBOWL OF FORMER FTO'S THAT WERE WANNA BE SERGEANTS TO BEGIN WITH THAT WERE NEVER IN SWAT, OCB, D BUREAU, TAC, K9 OR EVEN CP AND AS A RESULT, WE HAVE THEM TRYING TO EXERCISE AUTHORITY OVER A ROOM FULL OF GUYS AND GIRLS WHO KNOW MORE THAN THE SO CALLED SUPERVISOR. NOBODY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TEST FOR SGT WITHOUT AT LEAST 2 YRS IN ONE OF THE SPECIALTY/INVESTIGATORY UNITS. THE CYCLE OF STUPIDITY HAS TO STOP. IT'S DESTROYING THE DEPARTMENT.
Well if the room full of guys and girls knows more them. Out test him. So if you've been in a specialized unit like CP you know more or because you walk a dog and feed it puppy chow the knowledge gets put into your head.

05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Well Common Sense Hero,

Most of those postions besides SWAT are popularity contests. The Sergeants' exam which cost around 500,000 dollars has been validated in court around the US to find the best of the best. Actually this last exam was geared towards people in specialized units. Just look at the performance evaluation worth 20 points. That's based on all your accomplishments. If your a slug good luck with it. The inbasket tested the Sergeant's priorities and COMMON SENSE. The SITUATIONAL EXAM tested tactiacal scenarios, etc on scenarios in which the Deputies have no idea on what it could be. A SWAT Deputy should have smoked other Deputies in this process. If they didn't hmmm...... Now if Deputies in specailized units did not come out on top after all the advantages they have on this process in which Road Patrol Deputies don't, shame on them . They probably didn't even earn the postions that their in now. Now once the best of the best get promoted. Your right they could become problems because of ego or laziness.
I agree this last test was very diverse. It wasn't fun, but who could think of a better process.

06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I've talked to some friends in other departments. Their departments are talking about budget cuts like PBSO because of the property tax issue. Yet their departments are promoting cause the positions are allready budgeted and they know it's the right thing to do. Looks like our contract is too vague when it talks about promoting off the current list. It doesn't specifiy the time frame... Sunrise PD's contract states that when there's an opening the PD must promote within 60 days off of the current contract.

06-01-2007, 04:06 PM
I've talked to some friends in other departments. Their departments are talking about budget cuts like PBSO because of the property tax issue. Yet their departments are promoting cause the positions are allready budgeted and they know it's the right thing to do. Looks like our contract is too vague when it talks about promoting off the current list. It doesn't specifiy the time frame... Sunrise PD's contract states that when there's an opening the PD must promote within 60 days off of the current contract.

**** Sunrise with there 15% contribution to their pension. Their PD is so messed up!!

06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Which is also why Cities have more budgeting problems than the SO more frequently.

06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Yet Sunrise still promotes!! Still part of the contract!!

06-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Yet Sunrise still promotes!! Still part of the contract!!

I'll get you an application! Don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out!!

06-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Maybe someday you will have enough time to take the test too rookies