PDA

View Full Version : Deputy shot

05-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Any info on the deputy who was shot and his vest saved him ?

05-19-2007, 06:23 PM
A Palm Beach County sheriff's deputy was shot in the chest during a routine patrol around 11:30 p.m. in the 7100 block of Seacrest Boulevard in Boynton Beach.

Police say the deputy noticed a suspicious man in the back of a closed business while he was patrolling an unincorporated area in Boynton Beach. The deputy pulled his vehicle to the rear, but when he walked out of the car and called the man to get his attention, the suspect pulled out a gun and shot the deputy in the chest.

LocalLinks

A ballistic vest kept the bullet from entering the deputy's body, said sheriff's spokesman Pete Palenzuela.

The deputy fired back at the suspect before following him on foot. Florida Highway Patrol officers along with Lantana and Boynton Beach police officers helped sheriff deputies look for a man they described as 6-foot tall, wearing a black t-shirt, blue jeans and a black ski-mask.

The deputy was later transported to JFK Hospital with minor injuries. He was later released from the hospital.

Anyone with information is urged to contact detective Jamie Roussel at 561-688-4042 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-458-TIPS.

05-19-2007, 10:33 PM
He's okay don't worry.. The tapes sounded amazing!! He didn't lose his cool at all.. Just another fine PBSO D/S!! makes me proud

05-20-2007, 01:42 AM
He's okay don't worry.. The tapes sounded amazing!! He didn't lose his cool at all.. Just another fine PBSO D/S!! makes me proud

This Deputy served some serious time in the Marine Corps and fought very hard in Iraq. This isn't the first time someone's tried to kill him. Once again this proud Marine/Deputy had courage under fire.

05-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Leave it to a Hard Corps War Dog to be able to find himself in the deep crap and come out smelling like a rose. Glad you're okay, there, leatherneck - good job!

05-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Vest saves deputy from bullet

By Jerome Burdi
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 20 2007

Despite getting shot in the chest -- and saved by his bullet-proof vest -- a deputy shot back and chased the masked gunman before losing him about 11:30 p.m. Friday near Boynton Beach, the Sheriff's Office said.

The deputy noticed a suspicious person in the back of an office building in the 7100 block of Seacrest Boulevard and pulled over, walking to the rear, Sgt. Pete Palenzuela said. He saw the suspect's silhouette and ordered the person to come out. It is not clear whether the deputy identified himself.

LocalLinks

"He turned around and immediately shot the officer," Palenzuela said.

Though the officer was not completely exposed to the shooter, he was hit. The suspect seems to have only fired once, investigators said. The deputy, who had minor injuries, has been with the Sheriff's Office for more than two years and was not identified.

After the shooting, the officer's "warrior" mindset kicked in and he decided to pursue the shooter rather then lie down, Palenzuela said. Many times after officers are shot at they may lie on the ground even if they weren't hit, Palenzuela said. This allows a suspect to gain an advantage, he said.

"He wasn't going to lose this encounter," Palenzuela said.

Florida Highway Patrol officers along with Lantana and Boynton Beach police helped sheriff's deputies look for a man they described as 6-feet tall, wearing a black T-shirt, blue jeans and a black ski-mask.

The Sheriff's Office policy on bullet-proof, or ballistic, vests is that they must be readily accessible but do not have to be worn. The vests are preferred especially for high-risk calls involving weapons, Palenzuela said.

Friday's shooting is one of at least three this year in which violence has been directed toward deputies, Palenzuela said.

On April 28 deputies shot and wounded a suspected drug dealer who attempted to run them over west of West Palm Beach. And on April 27 deputies shot two suspected bank robbers west of Boynton Beach, killing one. One of the alleged robbers was armed and allegedly turning to shoot a deputy; the other was struggling with another deputy for his gun, police said. Deputies were not injured in the incidents.

The deputy in Friday's shooting was put on standard administrative leave, Palenzuela said. The vest he wore made all the difference.

"You never know when you're going to be subject to a deadly force encounter," Palenzuela said. "The vest was instrumental to saving his life."

Anyone with information should call Detective Jamie Roussel, 561-688-4042 or Crime Stoppers, 800-458-8477.

Staff Writer Maria Herrera and Staff Researcher William Lucey contributed to this report.

Staff Writer Jerome Burdi can be reached at jjburdi@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6531.

05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Many times after officers are shot at they may lie on the ground even if they weren't hit, Palenzuela said. This allows a suspect to gain an advantage, he said.

I didn't realize officers' do that. I've never heard of it.

05-20-2007, 02:36 PM
The Deputy displayed amazing tenacity. I was his back-up and arrive right after he called out Shots Fired. I'm very thankful he was not hurt and when I arrived, he was still searching for the suspect. He had a pair of handcuffs in his tact vest pocket where the round hit. That had to a grace of God. Good job brother you make all of us proud especially CP Dist 4.

05-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Many times after officers are shot at they may lie on the ground even if they weren't hit, Palenzuela said. This allows a suspect to gain an advantage, he said.

also the first time ive ever heard of that....

05-21-2007, 02:58 PM

Its refered to as "The Winning Mind".....its the kind of mindset we need to have....Just because your shot, or cut, doesnt mean you are DEAD ! ! Get up off your butt and FIGHT ! !

05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
And A special Thanks to the Off Duty Deputy from District 1 who quickly joined us right after the shots were fired with no vest on.

05-21-2007, 05:22 PM
He's my brother......and my hero!!!

05-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Its refered to as "The Winning Mind".....its the kind of mindset we need to have....Just because your shot, or cut, doesnt mean you are DEAD ! ! Get up off your butt and FIGHT ! !
ive heard of it after being hurt... but never heard of it after not being hurt at all....

05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I listened to the commo tapes and the deputy did a great job in a stressful situation. I've heard D/S's calling out a 10-61 get more "flustered then he did. He called out the suspect's description and DOT immediately without pause. Great job jarhead!

05-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Any updates on this ?

05-23-2007, 04:35 AM
This agency needs to hire more Marines like him. He displayed DISCIPLINE. OOH-RAH DEVIL DOG