PDA

View Full Version : anyone recently start working for flpd?

05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Has anyone here recently gone through the academy and training? Just curious of how everything went. Also, if anyone can maybe give any pointers or things to look out for.

05-16-2007, 03:08 AM
They pay for your academy as well as an hour of overtime each day. Once you are done you are assigned an FTO for 16 weeks (if you do well) you then get a take home car and are assigned a shift and a district.

05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
How does the FTO process go with Ft. Lauderdale? Do most people get through it?

05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
How does the FTO process go with Ft. Lauderdale? Do most people get through it?
Yes "most" people get through. However, we are not afraid to fire people.

05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
"yeah most get through it" If you know the right people and kiss arass! If you are different and not one of the good ol boys you get fired. Ask around and look at the decent people they have let go.
Good luck!! We were so short on FTO's they took anybody and they became SUPERCOPS.

05-18-2007, 02:10 PM
"yeah most get through it" If you know the right people and kiss arass! If you are different and not one of the good ol boys you get fired. Ask around and look at the decent people they have let go.
Good luck!! We were so short on FTO's they took anybody and they became SUPERCOPS.Bitter?

05-19-2007, 06:11 AM
There was a shortage of ftos & those that had experience got burned out. There was an endless cycle of new recruits that needed to be trained & the ftos weren’t getting their time off. It trickles down to the ftos having no motivation to properly train new hires. As far as the fto program, you have some ftos that have no business being ftos. They themselves have not been properly train little long have any type of education to back it up. Those new recruits are finding out that whatever they were taught about officer safety in the academy is quickly overwritten by erroneous tactics taught by this slug ftos. Do most people get through the fto program yes, but some are no better trained than when they got out of the academy.

The job of the fto is to motivate, train, advice, & insure that new recruits are able to conduct themselves & go solo. It is not the job of an fto to disqualify new recruits based on whatever prejudice they have on a particular race or culture. 30% of recruits are extended in Fort Lauderdale for one reason or another, less than 5% don’t make it.

05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
K9102?????

05-21-2007, 01:23 AM
What is that?

05-22-2007, 12:34 AM
If you came from another department where there was unity or any kind of closeness between officers than you will probably not like it here, noone looks out for each other and everyone is pretty much out for themselves, sometimes its almost like working alone, and if you are not from Florida just be warned officers here dont look out for each other especially if you work for a different dept, officers down here give each other tickets

05-22-2007, 02:58 AM
If you came from another department where there was unity

South Florida is a different ballgame for you out of state leos. As far as unity, FLPD officers don’t have the worst comradery in South Florida, trust me there’s a lot worst agencies. The problem with FLPD is that some officers are getting burn on the job but rather than call it quits & seek quality of work elsewhere, they remain & ***** & moan worst than a pregnant woman. All you hear from these people is how bad FLPD sucks yet they do nothing about it. You won’t find any of these people in the FOP meetings. They are not the type of people who volunteer to get things done. Basically they don’t answer to radio calls, they go 10-8, 10-6 at the beginning of their shift to work on last nights’ reports, are always late for roll-call & expect a big raise at the end of the year with a birthday cake.

05-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Well, I'll be starting the academy in the next few weeksso hopefully I get an oppertunity to see what it is that everyone is always talking about. I've heard good things as well as bad. Who knows if half the people commenting are LEO's or just a bunch of wannabes talking crap. I'm just trying to get a heads up on what to expect.

05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Most of the people that complain have never worked for another police department or had a real job before becoming a LEO.

05-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Moral is pretty low right now, but the department is definitely what you make of it. We as a whole, are over worked and understaffed, and have we to work with half the technology and equipment.

05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Moral is pretty low right now, but the department is definitely what you make of it. We as a whole, are over worked and understaffed, and have we to work with half the technology and equipment.
But we do get to do actual police work unlike other cities where they have to check Mrs. Burnbaums sprinklers while she is vacationing in Isreal.

05-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Yes morale is low, but isn't it time for a new contract in September? Things always end up working out. As for Mrs. Birmbaum...yes I'm sure to her, her sprinklers are a matter of national emergency, that's why I'm glad im not working in a place like that.

05-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes morale is low, but isn't it time for a new contract in September? Things always end up working out. As for Mrs. Birmbaum...yes I'm sure to her, her sprinklers are a matter of national emergency, that's why I'm glad im not working in a place like that.Stop making fun of Coral Springs and Boca PD

05-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Don't do it... We have lost 19 Officers since January 2007 because of the administration and our city manager (and the rest of his staff).Until those people our gone it's not going to be a good place to work. But if you want to work for BSO than come on over because if we keep losing people they will eventually have to take over.

05-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Don't do it... We have lost 19 Officers since January 2007 because of the administration and our city manager (and the rest of his staff).Until those people our gone it's not going to be a good place to work. But if you want to work for BSO than come on over because if we keep losing people they will eventually have to take over.
Don't listen to the grumpy. We still need good, strong applicants who are able to work through thick and thin and not a bunch of whiners. This department, like most, has its ups and downs. In 20 years when you retire you will have a hard time remembering the names of the buffoons that are carrying out the stupidity here. But if you go to a suburban department in 20 years you will still be bored, filled with regret and telling "cop stories" about that "one time" there was a bank robbery. :wink:

06-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Don't do it... We have lost 19 Officers since January 2007 because of the administration and our city manager

I heard that it was more than that, but aren't you replacing those that leave as quickly they clear out??

06-02-2007, 04:58 AM
we need to seriously do something to maintain and improve our manpower

06-05-2007, 05:46 PM

i applied in april from upstate ny. had the whole interview process complete the week of may 14th. passed everything and am now waiting for my background to be completed. i have read ALOT of negative feedback on FLPD but still applied and havent changed my mind. i think its what you make of it and it CANT be worse than the jail i work in. if you want something to whine about come work for the BOOBS that run our jail. anyways i cant wait to get down there and see for myself whats going on. it might be a crappy administration but its a better job than what i do now. should be in the august academy if all goes well. be safe guys.

06-24-2007, 02:53 AM

i applied in april from upstate ny. had the whole interview process complete the week of may 14th. passed everything and am now waiting for my background to be completed. i have read ALOT of negative feedback on FLPD but still applied and havent changed my mind. i think its what you make of it and it CANT be worse than the jail i work in. if you want something to whine about come work for the BOOBS that run our jail. anyways i cant wait to get down there and see for myself whats going on. it might be a crappy administration but its a better job than what i do now. should be in the august academy if all goes well. be safe guys.

I have news for you. The BOOBS running this place came from upstate NY. White Plains to be exact. I hear corruption is running rampant up there yet Gretsas comes down, brings his posse and starts treating us like a bunch of criminals. We are 10 years behind in technology and we are circling the drain contract wise. As far as how many people have left. We have lost just over 30 since January and the hemmoraging continues.

06-27-2007, 04:36 AM
K9102?????

If this is the person I believe it is, I read your DORs along with K9-102. In fact, he came to me for guidance to make sure he wasn't missing anything. Based on you DORs alone, you had to be released. You were unable to function at a solo officer level. So at least be a man and put your name when you call somebody out.

TJ White

P.S. K9-102 is another one of our tough FTOs.

06-28-2007, 07:07 AM

Hey, I just applied from MA, I was wondering after you applied how long did it take for them to contact you and what was the rest of the process like? what did you score on the written CJBAT exam?? Email me at jdavis24cw@hotmail.com if you get a chance i have a few questions for you. Thanks

09-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Don't listen to the grumpy. We still need good, strong applicants who are able to work through thick and thin and not a bunch of whiners. This department, like most, has its ups and downs. In 20 years when you retire you will have a hard time remembering the names of the buffoons that are carrying out the stupidity here. But if you go to a suburban department in 20 years you will still be bored, filled with regret and telling "cop stories" about that "one time" there was a bank robbery. :wink: You, my friend must have been one of the " Cheerleaders ". FLPD has been in decline since Leo Callahan left the agency. Can you remember back that far sonny? I can. I spent 22 years there and yeah, I can still remember the names of all the back stabbers and non cops that made names for themselves screwing over other cops, some with justification, most not. I would venture a guese that if you could find a suburban department with better pay and pension bennies, you wont regret much pal.

09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I can almost guess who the previous person "retired swine" is and this person was never happy no matter what. He could of won the trillion dollar lottery and would of still been miserable...Now to more serious business..LOL. Every Dept/SO has thier problems and politics but being in the law enforcement field not only at this dept but another, you really need to do your research and talk to people. Yes, FLPD has had its problems and still does but hopefully things will get better. Im not going to knock it being that I was there for awhile and yes there was backstabbers and kissasses and what dept doesnt have them or any place of business for that matter. Just do your "homework" and pick wisely. :cop:

09-04-2007, 03:26 AM
I can almost guess who the previous person "retired swine" is and this person was never happy no matter what. He could of won the trillion dollar lottery and would of still been miserable...Now to more serious business..LOL. Every Dept/SO has thier problems and politics but being in the law enforcement field not only at this dept but another, you really need to do your research and talk to people. Yes, FLPD has had its problems and still does but hopefully things will get better. Im not going to knock it being that I was there for awhile and yes there was backstabbers and kissasses and what dept doesnt have them or any place of business for that matter. Just do your "homework" and pick wisely. :cop: Not true skippy,.. I'd be overjoyed to win the lottery. :P

09-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Mark Sutton/retiredswine get a life

09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I think we got a winner....My sentiments exactly, tho. His "words" are all over his comments. He never had a nice word even when he was here. Thats to bad!! :devil:

09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I second that!! He retires, leaves the state and still cant get a life. Go and sit in a treestand somewhere!! :lol:

09-05-2007, 08:17 PM
But we do get to do actual police work unlike other cities where they have to check Mrs. Burnbaums sprinklers while she is vacationing in Isreal.

To the prospective rookie:

Gotta agree with "Anonymous" and "Not Retired Swine." This job (and life) is what you make it. If you want to do policework, come here. The last thing you want to do is spend 20 years bored out of your mind (unless you can't handle the slowest district and shift). If you want to get paid the most, get ready to be a mercenary cop, floating from department to department as the salaries ebb and flow. The key is to live within your means and save for retirement, cause you never know what's going to happen (this place seems particularly discipline happy lately). It's always nice to get a good contract, but don't buy a car betting on it. We've got enough to keep you busy. As for not taking care of each other, it really depends on where you work. My guys have camaraderie, and I'll leave it at that.

You'll start your career full of energy, ready to lock up the world. When that momentum subsides, you can do one of two things:

1) Stay positive, find a hobby, and realize there's life outside of the job. Show up to work, take your calls, self-initiate when you can, and resist the burn-out that comes from killing yourself to be #1 in stats (which doesn't matter anyway). Be hard working, well rounded and amicable enough to maybe make it into a specialty unit.

2) Take every detail you can, work 60 hours a week, buy every little luxury item you can to distract you from the fact that you have saved zippy. Blame the city for your financial woes. Complain and moan, but do nothing because you can't afford to start over elsewhere. Be a poster child for low morale, and wonder why you can't get promoted/moved into another unit.

It's the same wherever you go, and I am singling out no one in particular. The choice is yours.