PDA

View Full Version : Palm Beach County sheriff to cut street patrols.......

05-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Palm Beach County sheriff to cut street patrols, school programs

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office would cut back routine police patrols under a $425 million proposed budget for next fiscal year.

Reducing the time deputies spend in their cars cruising neighborhoods, checking shopping centers and doing traffic enforcement would be among the cost-cutting measures Sheriff Ric Bradshaw plans to outline for county commissioners next month.

Other potential decreases in service would be pulling deputies out of schools assigned to anti-drug and other programs, and taking some community policing deputies out of troubled neighborhoods, Bradshaw said.

Also, plans to hire 30 additional deputies to cover population growth areas would be sidelined because of an ongoing hiring freeze.

"We are doing everything humanly possible to get to an amount in the budget that would keep the agency running," Bradshaw said Wednesday. "I'm going with a bare minimum budget."

His budget for 2007-08 seeks $41.7 million, or almost 10 percent, more than the $384 million set aside for spending in the current year.

The additional money is needed to keep up with rising employment costs mandated in union contracts and in retirement and health care contributions, Bradshaw said. In addition, expenses are rising for providing food, clothing, medical care and transportation for inmates in the jail.

Significant cuts are expected also at other county agencies, as administrators brace for the potential of state legislators enacting tax changes in June that could cost the county $75 million in revenue next year. County Administrator Bob Weisman, for example, is proposing that county Fire-Rescue not hire 30 new recruits.

At the Sheriff's Office, the budget hit list includes money to replace cars with more than 100,000 miles. The agency had wanted to spend $17 million to buy about 600 cars next year. But officials are looking at budgeting $9 million, enough to purchase about 315 cars.

The gap, Bradshaw said, would force deputies to drive less to prolong the life of their cars. Driving less would have the added benefit of saving money on gas, he said.

As a result deputies would drive their cars only to calls for help. Once they finished a call-out, they would drive to shopping centers, entrances to high-crime neighborhoods and other high-visibility areas, turn off their engines and wait for the next call.

At the same time, deputies would be asked to cut back on driving their take-home cars. Taking the cars on personal trips would be discouraged, even though one of the points of take-home cars is to increase police visibility and prevent crime.

Sheriff's employees are projected to pay almost $700,000 next year for the use of their take-home cars. The agency has 3,812 employees.

"These are drastic steps, but I am trying to balance tax relief with protecting the public," Bradshaw said.

County Commission Chairwoman Addie Greene said requiring deputies to cut patrol time is unfortunate, but the measure reflects the coming budget shortfalls.

"Depending on what happens in Tallahassee, we'll have to suffer sacrifices," she said.

Greene said she isn't worried about an upswing in crime since there are more than 20 other police agencies in the county.

But the proposed change in deployment worries Sheri Scarborough, president of the West Boca Community Council, which represents 110 homeowners associations west of Boca Raton. She would rather see other programs trimmed so deputies could continue normal patrols.

"It's a shame. I think we'll see an increase in crime," she said.

Scarborough thinks law enforcement can deter crime simply by having officers drive around in marked cruisers.

"I'd hate for the sheriff to have his hands tied behind his back," she said.

What impact the reductions in patrols would have is hard to tell, Bradshaw said. But he pledged to continue his agency's enhanced street presence following the recent spike in gang-related violence.

His word, he said, is reflected in the budget: About $14 million in overtime is budgeted for next year to keep deputies and detectives working on solving crime. That's up from about $8 million budgeted at the start of the current fiscal year.

05-13-2007, 10:53 PM
turn off our engines....

sure, if they dont mind half of road patrol hospitalized due to hypothermia ...

Has he forgotten we wear vests and work in south florida?

05-13-2007, 10:55 PM
correction: hyperthermia (stoopid speel cheq)

05-14-2007, 04:58 PM
er "turn off my engine"????

I know the AC must be pretty awesome inside HQ but south Florida gets a little warm during June through to September!

I assume this statement is to woo the county commission into coming up with a few million to prevent this from happening....

the wonderful world of politics!

05-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Hey what if we just work from home? They can call us when they need us

05-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Ok....i must have missed it during my nap time....but how often do we get time BETWEEN calls to go to areas and just sit and wait??? And turn off my car......Just send me home because I AM NOT SHUTTING OFF MY CAR ! !

05-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Boy looks like I'll just have to spend more time inside the 7-11!

05-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Personally, I think that we spend too much time in our cruisers. We drive around in these mobile offices with tinted windows and no one is able to see our friendly faces. It has become a very impersonal business. I think parking the cars and mingling with the citizens we are sworn to protect, is not such a bad idea. I just received my take home though I don’t use it when 10-7. I have a family wagon for personal use. My big gripe is having these folks barking about gas, mileage….etc. while living in counties other than Palm Beach, where visibility would be the most beneficial.
Stepping off soap box.

05-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Personally, I think that we spend too much time in our cruisers. We drive around in these mobile offices with tinted windows and no one is able to see our friendly faces. It has become a very impersonal business. I think parking the cars and mingling with the citizens we are sworn to protect, is not such a bad idea. I just received my take home though I don’t use it when 10-7. I have a family wagon for personal use. My big gripe is having these folks barking about gas, mileage….etc. while living in counties other than Palm Beach, where visibility would be the most beneficial.
Stepping off soap box.
rook, this isnt NYC or Chicago...

05-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Stepping off soap box.

I'm not a rook or a supervisor of any means, and I agree with the above statement. Deputies need to get off their lazy behinds and get to know the community they patrol. Instead of sitting behind their store of choice when feasible drive through the community and speak to people, talk to the kids, get to know the people, but I know most law enforcement officers have the personality of a wall and can't do this simple task. Yet we would rather write tickets when we have a traffic division. Tickets are good, but getting into the communities and preventing crimes is more important.

05-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Stepping off soap box.

I'm not a rook or a supervisor of any means, and I agree with the above statement. Deputies need to get off their lazy behinds and get to know the community they patrol. Instead of sitting behind their store of choice when feasible drive through the community and speak to people, talk to the kids, get to know the people, but I know most law enforcement officers have the personality of a wall and can't do this simple task. Yet we would rather write tickets when we have a traffic division. Tickets are good, but getting into the communities and preventing crimes is more important.

how much extra time do you have? you must work in d7

05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
yea go a head cut back on patrol lets just look at how bad your call response time is to certain areas lets say district 10 lake park is there any cops left over there oh god forbid if theres signal 37 going on at the walmart or that dump vitician isles but go head cut back are crime rate is low right NOT.....

05-18-2007, 06:21 PM
yea go a head cut back on patrol lets just look at how bad your call response time is to certain areas lets say district 10 lake park is there any cops left over there oh god forbid if theres signal 37 going on at the walmart or that dump vitician isles but go head cut back are crime rate is low right NOT.....

Lon or should I say idiot. Go back to Palm Beach Gardens or create a forum for their useless PD. You have no merit and have no clue to what you are talking about. Lake Park has the fastest response time in the area to a priority one call. We are too busy taking calls the cities are refusing to take. Wal-Mart parking lot belongs to the city of Palm Beach Gardens. Every place has their bad areas and maybe it's time for Lake Park to pay more for additional police. They get 4 usually as it is, and when they had their own PD they has two. I would know I started there. Our response time is much faster now. Just reading your comment with the poor grammar and run-on's shows how much merit you carry. Go pound sand, and stay off our site.

05-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Amen brother!! Wel stated