PDA

View Full Version : gym

05-12-2007, 07:01 PM
How come we are not allowed to use the gym if we are on road patrol? How come the bureau and anybody above road patrol can/does? This is not a bashing or an attempt to cause anyone any problems, I am only ONLY asking WHY? I know that srt needs to be allowed for obvious reasons, but what about the rest of us? Please anyone know the answer?

I know that almost all of the other agencies allow there people to do it on duty wheni ts slow or instead of taking lunch. I also know that they stagger the times with a signup sheet to not lose everyone at once. Anyone know why??

05-12-2007, 10:11 PM
As far as I know no one has ever asked for it. It has never been brought up at any union meetings either. I'm a road patrol officer and not a detective or supervisor.

If you feel that this is something the department should offer you should write a very well thought out memo to the Chief. Explain why you feel it is important. Give idea's on how it could be scheduled. No one can knock you for trying.

If your idea gets approved everyone but our not so good driving, clumsy, new yorker cop will be able to work out on duty. His first day in the gym on duty he would most likely drop a 45 lb. weight on his foot and then starts Davie's first wheel chair unit. I can't even imagine him on a treadmill. I say this all in fun. Hope you get a laugh out of it G.D.

05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
I heard it was brought up in the past by both officers and supervisors but the it was turned down by the top cops or the town . This may just be another rumor but thats the story. I figure we can do it on our time(40) if its not busy, of course it will ruined by someone who abuses it or refuses to clear for a 41(0) at bk across the street, not that the other certified (non road patrol) in the building would ever respond.

05-13-2007, 12:02 AM
How come we are not allowed to use the gym if we are on road patrol? How come the bureau and anybody above road patrol can/does? This is not a bashing or an attempt to cause anyone any problems, I am only ONLY asking WHY? I know that srt needs to be allowed for obvious reasons, but what about the rest of us? Please anyone know the answer?

I know that almost all of the other agencies allow there [their] people to do it on duty when it's slow or instead of taking lunch. I also know that they stagger the times with a sign up sheet to not lose everyone at once. Anyone know why??

What other agencies, name them? Analyze this as to why not: Robbery/shots fired/hostages taken call goes out. Officers on lunch break can just leave their meals and respond! You working out? Is not logical! A quiet shift can go to $h!t in a second and patrol personnel must be immediately available to answer the call of duty!

05-13-2007, 02:41 AM
By the looks of the writing style and method of grammar correction, OLD SERGEANT has got to be Mr. Bobbby Laballsac.

He used to reject reports the same exact way. He would copy and paste the entire narrative and then insert his corrections the same way as was done on this last post.

avt12882
05-13-2007, 04:45 AM
my 45 min meal is my time i dont understand why i cant workout on my meal, i had an hour meal in new york and i worked out everyday with no problems. as for gene working out is the last why he would get hurt his driving skills are not the best but i heard they added a booster seat to his new ride so he could see over the dashboard better.

avt12882
05-13-2007, 04:49 AM
wait a sec he did beat me in the height showdown we had maybe i should get a booster for my ride.

05-13-2007, 02:56 PM
other agencies? well pines and hollywood have a workout in there daily schedule. we should be able to do the same. any suggestions?

avt12882
05-13-2007, 10:02 PM
we need to bring it up at our next union meeting i cant see why we cant work out on our meal i would love to do that

05-14-2007, 02:04 AM
other agencies? well pines and hollywood have a workout in there daily schedule. we should be able to do the same. any suggestions?

Pines and Hollywood have this benefit in their contracts. Did you put this on your "wish list" for the new contract? Or did you even fill one out?

05-14-2007, 02:52 AM
This topic was brought up many times to the "top cops" in our department. They even sent Sgt. Themis to a week long school in Texas for this. She did a propsal and everything - and that was years ago - & still nothing. Maybe because it would force those who wish to participate to actually get in shape. And "Old Sgt" - there is plenty of time to do this in the overlap of the shifts that it would not cause a problem or burden for RP. More people in general should take advantage of a free gym, & maybe we wouldn't have as many "injuries" during DT training....

05-14-2007, 05:31 AM
... & maybe we wouldn't have as many "injuries" during DT training....

PUMPED UP .... Three words....YOU ARE "IGNORANT" (Check ouy my quotation marks!)...

05-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Wha... or whoever you are - you must be one of the out of shape slobs who goes to DT and then says - whimper whimper - I think I hurt my wrist or my shoulder or something. Toughen up and quite your whining - you will be the one Cop whose ass I have to bail out after getting it kicked by a drunk redneck in 15 zone (that is after you woefully scream for help on the radio after you catch your breath).... Ignorance has nothing to do with what I posted. Yes, there have been some legit injuries in DT but most are some Cops pathetic attempt to get out of work by feigning injury. Now, everyone is opting out of DT saying they are afraid to get hurt - Yeah - just the kind of Cop I want backing me up on the street.....

05-15-2007, 12:23 AM

I know that almost all of the other agencies allow there [their] people to do it on duty when it's slow or instead of taking lunch. I also know that they stagger the times with a sign up sheet to not lose everyone at once. Anyone know why??

What other agencies, name them? Analyze this as to why not: Robbery/shots fired/hostages taken call goes out. Officers on lunch break can just leave their meals and respond! You working out? Is not logical! A quiet shift can go to $h!t in a second and patrol personnel must be immediately available to answer the call of duty!

Old Sergeant? More like gay sergeant.

06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Not for nothin, but our contract sucks!!! I think Wackenhut makes more money than we do.

06-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Not for nothin, but our contract sucks!!! I think Wackenhut makes more money than we do.

I've worked for another Police Department and I have to disagree with you. I'm content with the amount of money I am currently making. A little more would be nice but to come out and say our contract sucks. No, it doesn't.

06-12-2007, 01:30 PM
The reason they don't allow us to workout on duty has to do with officers getting hurt while working out and then filing insurance claims against the city and taking time off from work. The reason is money and officers getting hurt. Everyone on this post knows officers that would suddenly get hurt while working out just to get out of work.

06-12-2007, 06:18 PM
The reason they don't allow us to workout on duty has to do with officers getting hurt while working out and then filing insurance claims against the city and taking time off from work. The reason is money and officers getting hurt. Everyone on this post knows officers that would suddenly get hurt while working out just to get out of work.

FD works out on duty in our gym. Shouldn't be an issue with insurance claims or injuries.

06-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Posts like this (and thoughts like this) are rediculous. You say "everyone" knows officers that would get hurt... Well, what is keeping people like this from falling down at work and hurting themselves just to get out of work? Give me a break. That kind of mentality is absolutely absurd.

The department (theoretically) wants us to be in the best shape possible. Officers that are in good shape are much less likely to be injured doing "routine" things at work...

The only issue I see with working out on duty is manpower. We all complain about being short staffed, but then we want to take time off of the road and go work out. Think about how everyone complains when they get a call in one of the SRT guys zones when they're working out on duty.

If there was some sort of system which would allow officers to work out during overlap time, then it may be easier to sell. But that would require cooperation between shifts (you know, if that was the case, day shift couldn't disappear at 2pm, charlie shift at 9:30, and midnights at 6am). Everyone would have to REALLY work their 10 hour shift. You think that's gonna happen? :)

07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
YES, THIS IS REALLY LANCE WRITTING THIS. I DON'T NEED TO HIDE WHO I AM BECAUSE I WON'T POST ANYTHING I CAN'T BACK UP.
I PERSONALLY WROTE A MEMO REQUESTING THAT WE BE ALLOWED TO WORK OUT ON DUTY. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, IT WAS BEING LOOKED INTO AND THAT WAS THE LAST I HEARD ABOUT IT. THE MEMO I SUBMITTED WAS OVER TWO YEARS AGO. IT MIGHT HAVE EVEN BEEN BEFORE MY CRASH.