PDA

View Full Version : Information about Largo Police Dept.

05-09-2007, 04:54 AM
I am considering applying with Largo, at the moment I am working out of state and have a few questions, I would appreciate everyone's help in getting some answers.

About how many sworn personnel does the agency have?

How does the dept. pay the officers for court appearances?

How long do you have to stay with the agency before you can put in for a specialized unit?

What kind of shifts do you work?

The website shows the pay range from around 38K to 59K, are these numbers only for patrol and there is another scale for SGT and above?

If anyone can help me with some answers I would really appreciate it.

Stay safe brothers.

05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
pd_recruiter@largo.com would be a great resource for obtaining this information.

05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
The agency has approx 150 sworn and pays time and a half for court appearances off duty. You also get portal to portal pay...We work both 4/10's and 5/8's on all three shifts. It just depends on your seniority for bidding what you will get. The Sgts pay is always different than patrol, but I couldn't tell you numbers off the top of my head.

The other poster gave you a good email address to go by. Use it with any more questions. There can be way to many negatives responses on this board. Good luck and when you come down, go on a couple of ride a longs....

05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Do not go to Largo, as with most small city agencies, they are in the process of laying off cops because of tax reform. If you read the ST Pete Times, Tampa pd is laying off 95, Tarpon is laying off 9 and Pinellas park is also laying off some. Largo is also experiencing problems with money, plus if you ask around they are the worst dept. in the state besides St. Pete. Pinellas SO is constantly hiring and is a much better place and we are still getting raises unlike the cities.

05-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Largo's retirement sucks. There are no cost of living raises or medical benefits when you retire, plus you make the contributions, unlike PCSO where the retirement contributions are made by the SO. Largo is like Keystone, bunch of retards with IHOP computers.

05-10-2007, 02:38 AM
You fellas are really getting nervous aren't you. Tax reform will hit PCSO the hardest. How's that take-home car struggle going? Your county patrol area is shrinking and you are starting to panic. Can't seem to get those little towns to contract. Not happy with work schedules or labor negotiations. Haven't seen the Sheriff lately. Don't like the patch or the long sleeves. Please don't let an out of state cop see how childish you are.

To the potential applicant....contact the official recruiters, get the straight scoop and make the best choice for you and your family. Stay safe.

05-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Im convinced LPD Critic can't be a real cop.. GTFO

05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
There is no Take Home Car trouble at PCSO for Patrol Deputies and Detectives. The meeting this Friday at PCSO is all about non sworn using having take homes. PCSO is doing fine. Next hire date is May 21st with 15, and another big group in August. Then for O8 Budget year, 8 hire dates of groups of 12 to 16. Now, to the orginal post. I work with some LPD officers and LPD is a good department well as a PCSO. Look at them both and decide whats best for you. To my friends at LPD stay safe and see you on the street.

05-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Hey LPDCritic, get your facts straight....we just hired 8!!!!!!!! So, lay offs, huh...go fly a kite :twisted:

06-09-2007, 06:41 AM
you just hired 9 and you will probably have to lay off 5 of them. They just don't know it yet. There are no jobs in Pinellas county right now or the state for that matter. The legislature has everyone on pins and needles waiting to hear about this property tax and it's not looking good. Unless you fit a certain race and sex like female, hispanic, or black, well pretty much if you are a white guy you are screwed and it could be a year before anyone hires again.

Only thing available will be SPPD and the jail.

It won't take long until crime goes up and the citizens are saying WTF. Then the politicians can sit back and explain why they cut first responder positions instead of dumbass beautification projects in the projects.

06-09-2007, 03:26 PM
He idiot who says that the new recruits will be laid off. Stop talking out of your butt because you don't have a clue. No officer is going to lose their job so know the facts. They have already signed up and are getting paid so they are safe.

Stop reading the BS headlines and asked someone who knows before going on this dumb sight and spreading your idiotic propaganda.

If any recruits were unfortunate enough to have read the previous post, disregard it and do not worry. Just like every workplace you will always have idiots.

06-10-2007, 03:53 PM
You fellas are really getting nervous aren't you. Tax reform will hit PCSO the hardest. How's that take-home car struggle going? Your county patrol area is shrinking and you are starting to panic. Can't seem to get those little towns to contract. Not happy with work schedules or labor negotiations. Haven't seen the Sheriff lately. Don't like the patch or the long sleeves. Please don't let an out of state cop see how childish you are.

To the potential applicant....contact the official recruiters, get the straight scoop and make the best choice for you and your family. Stay safe.

Patrol zones getting smaller? We already have half of the cities contracting with us with more to come. The citizens of St. Pete wants us. With the tax reform the cities aren't going to be able to hang out and per Florida constitution there will always be a Sheriff. Not the same for a city PD.

06-12-2007, 02:15 PM
This is a site for LPD officers not want a bees from the SO. If you actually believe that the Sheriff will take StPete, you guys are as dumb as you look.

06-12-2007, 02:48 PM
This is a site for LPD officers not want a bees from the SO. If you actually believe that the Sheriff will take StPete, you guys are as dumb as you look.

We'll see idiot. PCSO is far superior to your crappy department and we will take st. pete. Just wait and see.

06-15-2007, 03:03 AM

We'll see idiot. PCSO is far superior to your crappy department and we will take st. pete. Just wait and see.

Ok, if PCSO is sooooo superior, why do you *****es keep coming on our website trying to join our conversation?

Go back to the JV locker room and when you are ready to play with the big boys, drop your application off at 201 N Highland. Until then, go guard a courtroom or something.

07-10-2007, 07:27 PM
What is the current starting pay at Largo?