PDA

View Full Version : Department info/potential applicant

05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm about to apply with your agency at either campus. I have read the other posts with you all *****ing about your agency. I'm coming from an agency far worse than you can ever imagine. Your starting pay is a raise for me. :D
Now what kind of numbers do you guys have: i.e. How many people a shift do you have? u work 12's or 8's?
How short on staff are you?
What is total number of officers in the dept?
What do you encounter during your average shift?
I know u are campus police but do you have jurisdiction over the main roads that outline your campus. i.e. for traffic enforcement?
Is everyone on shift issued a vehicle or are there foot patrols?
Do officers ever have to fill in for call takers or radio?
How fast is your application process?
Do you have a step plan for pay? If so whats the increase/percentage.

I appreciate in advance all the positive feedback. It will help me make an educated decision when I apply. 8) stay safe

05-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm about to apply with your agency at either campus. I have read the other posts with you all *****ing about your agency. I'm coming from an agency far worse than you can ever imagine. Your starting pay is a raise for me. Now what kind of numbers do you guys have: i.e. How many people a shift do you have? (4 right now)u work 12's or 8's? (12?s)How short on staff are you? (about 7 positions)What is total number of officers in the dept? (47 total positions but trying to get more)What do you encounter during your average shift? (thefts, burglaries, police in formations, motorist assists, elevator calls, door alarms ie card access, etc)I know u are campus police but do you have jurisdiction over the main roads that outline your campus. i.e. for traffic enforcement? (we have mutual aide with HCSO, TPD, and TTPD, jurisdiction on Fletcher, 50th, 46th, parts of Bruce B. Downs, etc)Is everyone on shift issued a vehicle or are there foot patrols? (due to manpower being so short everyone gets a car right now but foot patrols are available and encouraged in your patrol zone. If manpower ever gets up to staffing bike patrols, motor patrols, and other areas might become available)Do officers ever have to fill in for call takers or radio? (Yes, bathroom breaks, lunch breaks, etc)How fast is your application process? (around 2 to 4 months)Do you have a step plan for pay? (none what so ever)If so whats the increase/percentage. (the chief is working on a pay plan but as it is right now we get lucky if the State decides to give a cost of living)I appreciate in advance all the positive feedback. It will help me make an educated decision when I apply. stay safe

Remember, It's a campus policing job. It's not as high volume as say a city or county department however we strive to prived a very high level of service to the USF community. Officers are encouraged to work on their own investigations to include securing any arrest warrants, subpoenas, etc on their own. But just like any police job anything can happen at any time so the officer must always remain prepared

05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I meant to write provide a high level of service.

05-07-2007, 03:28 AM
A select "few" of us also stay active with alot of drug arrests, dui's, underage possession, warrants, and other proactive arrests. I think "ee non a mouse" is one that just responds to calls given to him and is not as proactive as a select few of the "good" cops. It is all out that you just have to make an effort to get it !!

05-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Wow! I?m personally offended. One posted reply and someone was trying to say I am not a ?good cop?. You really don?t? know who I am do you? I can assure you, ?a non ee mous? is one of the most proactive officers at the agency. I was not trying to bash anyone or say that nothing happens. I was trying to give an accurate account of the routine daily activity that happens on the campus. I whole-heartedly agree that you can participate in all the drug activity, proactive traffic enforcement, RADAR/Laser, criminal investigations, etc. that you want to do. Officers at the department have the time to find their own cases. But like you said only a few of the officer participate in that type of pro-activity. I was trying to give the post an honest opinion about the routine daily calls for service that the police are called on to respond to from the community. As you well know not everyone at the station is proactive in patrol. That?s okay too because we still need officers to respond to the daily stuff. I didn?t know what type of police officer the postee wants to be so I simply responded to and addressed the usual calls for service we get. If the postee is not proactive (and there is no way to say they are or are not) then to assume they are would be inappropriate.

05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
We all know the warrant arrests are usually for something silly like an open container or a traffic/drivers license offense. I'm sure we all sleep better knowing that you are getting these violent criminals off of the street. We all know that the drug arrests you so proudly boast about are usually for such a small amount of marijuana it's not even worth doing the paperwork for it. Officer's who are truly active and do good work don't have to brag about their accomplishments.

05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
For the original post. Please go to the below link to see the actual daily activity at USFPD. This will give you the best overall, un-opinionated view of what daily calls are like at USFPD.

http://www.usfpd.usf.edu/logs/hourly.pdf

05-08-2007, 01:56 AM
hey Thanks alot, i didn't think i was going to get any serious feedback.

Whats you app process like, I saw from website pysch, B/G, what about a oral board? What is the first step after application goes in. I will be submitting it with in the month.
And is there anything I can do or list that the Chief looks for in applicants?

05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Quote from usfcop "A select "few" of us also stay active with alot of drug arrests, dui's, underage possession, warrants, and other proactive arrests"

Is this the expected standard there, or is this post from a rookie? I am retiring at a young age from a bigger department, I have a lot of street experience , and a lot more work years ahead of me.

I was thinking of applying at USF, but the above post has me thinking second thoughts. I know working on a University Campus will be a tremendous slow down from the constent calls that I am use to reponding to, but, is this what's considered being "active?" and in the "slect Few?" Underage possession of alcohol and possession of a joint of marijuana?

This is busch league stuff, and it ranks almost up there with writing parking tickets. It definately needs to be enforced, but is this what's considered to be what it takes to be in the "select few?"

05-08-2007, 10:49 PM
YES

05-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Hey applicant , go apply elsewhere....we dont want you.

05-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Seems your years of experience would serve you better somewhere else. Look towards a Sheriffs office or another bigger agency.

I don't think your Ego would fit through any of our doors .