PDA

View Full Version : Advice--Current Troopers Only Please

05-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Greetings FHP Troopers,

I applied for the Florida Highway Patrol several months ago and after a grueling process filled with a battery of tests (physical, polygraph, psychological, medical, etc), I've been accepted! (you're all probably laughing at me for even getting in the process in the first place :lol: )

The only thing is all of the negativity surrounding the FHP has now caused me to sit back and think. I attended a Criminal Justice fair where I spoke to several troopers from the NYSP, Connecticut SP, Vermont State Police and Rhode Island State police. They are all hiring and encouraged me to stay up North and go through their process.

My question is this: Should I take an already guaranteed job as a State Trooper with Florida (even though morale and pay are hopelessly low--remember, I'm only 21 years old--this is only a stepping stone for a Federal Job (FBI/Secret Service)), or should I go for the gold and apply with a more reputable and higher paying agency like Connecticut, Rhode Island or New York?

I've received the following replies on other boards:

Tough decision.

My opinion -- for whatever it's worth, and I'm not in LE yet, just a career-changer who's been trying to get in for a while -- is the old "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" theory. IOW...you have an academy offer. If you turn it down and hold out (as I did for CT and a few others) you might be kicking yourself (as I am) if they don't come through (as they didn't).

I'm from NY state and I'd go with NYSP in a heartbeat, except I'm over their age limit. I'd much prefer the Northeast, but I think it's more competitive up here than down there. The others you mention all seem like top notch agencies (though I don't know too much about RI).

I've thought about FHP and other FL agencies, but I also run up against some other questions: Would I really like living in Florida? (Maybe, except for the hurricanes). Do I want an LE job badly enough to live there? (Well...hmmm).

Since you're 21 and have a lot of years ahead of you, the "stepping stone" idea does make some sense. Remember, though, that stepping stones sometimes end up being destinations, so you want to consider carefully what FHP would be like for the long haul.

I don't know if any of this musing will help you with your decision, and I certainly don't presume to have all the answers to career planning. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I will check in with their own thoughts and experiences.

Good luck!
http://forums.leoaffairs.com/posting.ph ... topic&f=48 (http://forums.leoaffairs.com/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=48)
LEOAFFAIRS.COM :: Post a new topic
EE

Stepping stone for what? IF it's to go Federal, suck it up and put the years in. If it's for another state agency, do you really want to go through 52 weeks of academy training?

Be happy at 21 you got a job in LE. You might not get one in the NE and then what will you do? Why would you go through all those tests for a job you don't want? Believe me there is no perfect agency. Everyone will agree with me. Every where you go will have one problem or another. The key is how you act in that agency. If you like what you are doing, you can put up with all the BS (and there is A LOT in LE).

Good luck,
SecretNY

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Please only current troopers reply to this thread--I could care less what civilians or family members of other law enforcement agencies think of FHP--I need to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

05-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Well I have been on 3 years and I absolutely hate it. Im tired of the horrible supervisors, the low manpower, terrible shifts, horrible pay, and a state that does not care. I wasted a lot of time and money with this job and I totally regret it. Im now applying in the federal sector.

05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Considering you could be in the next academy in a few months, and on the road in a year, id take it. NE State Police agencies are terribly hard to get on and it will take a long time to do it successfully. Do you have a four yr degree, military, etc that would make you even remotely qualified for a fed job? I dont think people realize how hard it is to become an FBI agent now. I know former cops with JD (law) degrees from tier 1 schools not getting on with the feds bc they dont know arabic.

Yes, FHP has its downs. Especially right now. Everything is cyclical and right now FHP is doing pretty bad. But it is still a fun, well repsected job and you will learn a lot. You cannot make a career out of it bc the raises just arent there and apparently are not coming. But it would probably be worth the experience. Just dont be naive and buy into the nonsense they will beat into at the academy. Go in with a level head and take the experience for what its worth, but deff have plans and ambitions of going elesewhere within 2-3 years. Otherwise youll be wasting valuable time that you could be putting in somewhere else; building seniority, step raises, etc. Good luck in whatever you do.

05-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Considering you could be in the next academy in a few months, and on the road in a year, id take it. NE State Police agencies are terribly hard to get on and it will take a long time to do it successfully. Do you have a four yr degree, military, etc that would make you even remotely qualified for a fed job? I dont think people realize how hard it is to become an FBI agent now. I know former cops with JD (law) degrees from tier 1 schools not getting on with the feds bc they dont know arabic.

Yes, FHP has its downs. Especially right now. Everything is cyclical and right now FHP is doing pretty bad. But it is still a fun, well repsected job and you will learn a lot. You cannot make a career out of it bc the raises just arent there and apparently are not coming. But it would probably be worth the experience. Just dont be naive and buy into the nonsense they will beat into at the academy. Go in with a level head and take the experience for what its worth, but deff have plans and ambitions of going elesewhere within 2-3 years. Otherwise youll be wasting valuable time that you could be putting in somewhere else; building seniority, step raises, etc. Good luck in whatever you do.

It is a fun job?!?! Where do you work? I clean up crashes and change tires for people all day. If Im lucky I will get to stop someone that runs a red light. I dont really consider that a fun and exciting day compared to a lot of LE jobs.

05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Even though I am not a trooper, I will lend you some advice. I also went through the grueling and costly process with the FHP. I was living up north and decided to move to Florida to finish the process. I took a job with an S.O while waiting the 15+ months to finally get my acceptance letter for the 113th. I also read some of the posts on this site and talked with other LEOs I met through the S.O. I decided to turn down the offer with FHP. I didn't like the feel I got from my process. MY FEEL. Not anyone elses. My advice is to apply elsewhere. Even if you want to live in Florida, apply at an S.O. You will gain more experience and knowledge to advance on to another career of your choice. You are young. Don'y tie yourself to an agency that you are already questioning. When I started to convince myself to accept FHP's offer, I knew then that I couldn't take the job. You should be excited to receive the offer, not looking for someone to help with your decision making. If you are not 100%, don't do it. You will be sitting in that cruiser for over 2 years before you can move on. Remember, you have to sign a contract. They make you do that for a reason. It is because to many people took the offer, got their certification and left them high and dry. Ask the other agencies if you have to sign a contract. I know of none up north that do that. That is because most of their people are excited and happy with their job. They are not looking elsewhere. Best of luck. Make the decision for YOU.

05-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Either shoot for a state police job up north or, if you come to Florida, try for one of the larger sheriff's offices or city agencies. FHP is just that, a HIGHWAY patrol. You work silly wrecks all day, period. A state police agency is just that, state POLICE, where you can do all sorts of investigations, not just traffic. And if you've never lived in Florida I can tell you it's NOTHING like the tourist industry wants you to believe. I have less than three years left for my 25 and out and I absolutely cannot wait to get the hell out of Florida! We have some of the dirtiest, dumbest, filthiest losers here on the face of the earth. That's why the crap that goes on here always makes the national news. Good luck to you!

05-05-2007, 12:48 AM
About 5 years ago I decided to try getting on with FHP. My LEO job was going nowhere and I wanted out of the city where I was living. I enjoy working traffic and I thought it could be a good ticket to move in the state where I wanted.

After 10 years of being a LEO, I was treated worse than pond scum in every step of the process. I have never seen such arrogance in my life. Long story short, I passed everything after having to explain some really stupid responses on the 5 hour polygraph. After some really excellent inside information and watching how the FHP treats their recruits, I declined their offer. I refuse to be treated like an absolute idiot to work crashes and pass out citations.

The choice is yours to make. I have made some really good friends that work for FHP who have really regretted their decision. The pay is horrible and their reputation with the public really sucks. Once the brass understands how the world really works, then it might change. I'm not holding my breath.

Start the process with the feds now and take a job with a S.O. or a city P.D.

Beside, the state just screwed all state law enforcemnent of a really nice raise and gave us a $1000.00 "bonus". No cost of living raise, no compression pay increase, just a "bonus". Like my subject line says, Run, don't walk away.

05-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Don’t want to get to involved. To say that the reputation of the Florida Highway Patrol is bad in the eyes of the citizens of the State of Florida is a bold lie. The public has always held us in higher regards than almost any other Law Enforcement Officers in the state. I have 20 years and I am proud of my service. I am not proud of how the legislature treats us and I am definitely not proud of the pay. The job is what you make of it. I have saved a life and made more than my share of big drug arrest {20 kilos +} not just crack rocks like the average deputy or city cop that wants you to believe they wear a bigger cloak and have a bigger one because they are real cops. If you do your job, you will find criminals, rapist, purse-snatchers, bank robbers, cop killers, killers, and all the real stuff they talk about. Its not about the Patrol being better than the City or Sheriff's Office, its about your personal choice. What do you really want to do? The patrol is primary traffic related in nature, you will work a wreck (a lot) of them and you will be asked to issue citations. You will work crappy hours, miss your family, survive on fast food and be sent wild fire details, Daytona races, black college reunion, along with several hurricane details in and out of the state. You may have to quell a riot or act as an immigration officer when a boat load of Haitians try to come ashore, remove dead bodies and body parts from a downed airliner in alligator infested, bacteria laden water, pull someone out of a sinking car or from a burning vehicle. Not to mention you will have to do this at a bargain basement price that will leave you hungry. If you like peanut butter and jelly, and getting caught in the rain, then this is the job that you hoped for, sign up with us and escape. Your choice, I have 5 to go and will need another job anyway so I can pay for my kids college so they do a job other that this one. Just remember if you don't like to pat yourself on the back for a job well done, think long and hard about your decision, you will not get a pat on the back here or a jingle in your pocket.

05-05-2007, 03:27 AM
Don’t want to get to involved. To say that the reputation of the Florida Highway Patrol is bad in the eyes of the citizens of the State of Florida is a bold lie. The public has always held us in higher regards than almost any other Law Enforcement Officers in the state. I have 20 years and I am proud of my service. I am not proud of how the legislature treats us and I am definitely not proud of the pay. The job is what you make of it. I have saved a life and made more than my share of big drug arrest {20 kilos +} not just crack rocks like the average deputy or city cop that wants you to believe they wear a bigger cloak and have a bigger one because they are real cops. If you do your job, you will find criminals, rapist, purse-snatchers, bank robbers, cop killers, killers, and all the real stuff they talk about. Its not about the Patrol being better than the City or Sheriff's Office, its about your personal choice. What do you really want to do? The patrol is primary traffic related in nature, you will work a wreck (a lot) of them and you will be asked to issue citations. You will work crappy hours, miss your family, survive on fast food and be sent wild fire details, Daytona races, black college reunion, along with several hurricane details in and out of the state. You may have to quell a riot or act as an immigration officer when a boat load of Haitians try to come ashore, remove dead bodies and body parts from a downed airliner in alligator infested, bacteria laden water, pull someone out of a sinking car or from a burning vehicle. Not to mention you will have to do this at a bargain basement price that will leave you hungry. If you like peanut butter and jelly, and getting caught in the rain, then this is the job that you hoped for, sign up with us and escape. Your choice, I have 5 to go and will need another job anyway so I can pay for my kids college so they do a job other that this one. Just remember if you don't like to pat yourself on the back for a job well done, think long and hard about your decision, you will not get a pat on the back here or a jingle in your pocket.

Basically what he is saying is that FHP treats it's people like dirt. RUN from this agency if you have a chance to get hired by a real state agency up north. If you have to stay in FL, definately try the larger S.O's or P.D's.............They pay on average about $12 to 15,000 more to start!!

05-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Go to a State Police where you can do real police work especially if you want to go feds. Most federal agencys will not accept FHP as prior experience because it only deals with traffic. It specifically states this in several of there hiring requirements. Go elsewhere, you can work at Mc Donalds while you wait for better and make as much as we do now.

05-06-2007, 02:53 AM

Basically what he is saying is that FHP treats it's people like dirt. RUN from this agency if you have a chance to get hired by a real state agency up north. If you have to stay in FL, definately try the larger S.O's or P.D's.............They pay on average about $12 to 15,000 more to start!!

Your right ICE. The public does hold a high regard for us. Thats what a lot of these locals on here hate. Ever notice how when a trooper stops to back someone up the attention of the people involved somehow seems to shift to the trooper. People see a higher level of law enforcement. Im not bashing the locals by no means, they earn their money the same as us. The pay sucks and I cant say that I would do this job all over again knowing what I do now but I've certainly enjoyed my time on the road for the last 19 years.

05-06-2007, 04:24 PM
"Your right ICE. The public does hold a high regard for us. Thats what a lot of these locals on here hate. Ever notice how when a trooper stops to back someone up the attention of the people involved somehow seems to shift to the trooper. People see a higher level of law enforcement. Im not bashing the locals by no means, they earn their money the same as us. The pay sucks and I cant say that I would do this job all over again knowing what I do now but I've certainly enjoyed my time on the road for the last 19 years."

Ha Ha Ha, whatever there you geek... You think that only because your head was pumped up with so much BS much in the academy. For the most part the general public thinks FHP is a joke and knows that their only puropose in life is to issue tickets. Gee I wonder why peoples attention would shift to a trooper when he backs up someone on a traffic stop??? Because they all know you guys are jerks.

What I really like is the "troopers are your first line of defense" bumper stiockers I see on cars. What a joke.

Is it hard to get your over inflated head into your cruisers?

05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
"Your right ICE. The public does hold a high regard for us. Thats what a lot of these locals on here hate. Ever notice how when a trooper stops to back someone up the attention of the people involved somehow seems to shift to the trooper. People see a higher level of law enforcement. Im not bashing the locals by no means, they earn their money the same as us. The pay sucks and I cant say that I would do this job all over again knowing what I do now but I've certainly enjoyed my time on the road for the last 19 years."

Ha Ha Ha, whatever there you geek... You think that only because your head was pumped up with so much BS much in the academy. For the most part the general public thinks FHP is a joke and knows that their only puropose in life is to issue tickets. Gee I wonder why peoples attention would shift to a trooper when he backs up someone on a traffic stop??? Because they all know you guys are jerks.

What I really like is the "troopers are your first line of defense" bumper stiockers I see on cars. What a joke.

The people respect the troopers the most because they are the only agency that most of the officers don't look like they stay in Dunkin Donuts half their shift each day.

05-06-2007, 09:13 PM

I thought the sticker said "Troopers are your best form of protection", I may be wrong. As far as the head in the cruiser, that new roof mounted shotgun rack sure makes it hard sometimes.

05-07-2007, 01:28 PM

The people respect the troopers the most because they are the only agency that most of the officers don't look like they stay in Dunkin Donuts half their shift each day.

WOW last time I was in court many of your troopers looked like they have been spending a fair amount of time eating donuts as well. Nice try at a come back though.

05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Ice...LOL..you're my hero ... well said sir