PDA

View Full Version : All Troopers Quit ASAP

05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
This is for all FHP troopers. Once again our pay raise has been shot down. We are now officially the lowest paid state agency in the United States and yet we live in a state with one of the highest cost of living! You will never see the salary you should making or even come close to the salary troopers have in other states. You are spinning your wheels with a state/agency that doesn't care and will never care. We have had 4 troopers that have been killed just in my short career and yet even this is not enough to get us what we need. You say we have good equipment! Who are you lying to? Do we have rifles? Tasers? Undercover cars? Fast pursuit cars? You all think FHP is soooo great because we can print tickets out in our cars. Big freaking deal!!! Pay me $4500 a month like I should be getting paid and I will gladly HANDWRITE 50 tickets a day!

If you are staying with FHP because you like it, then you may be retarded, but ok stay here then. If you are staying here because you think things are going to get better, then you are lying to yourself. Apply elsewhere and end the CONSTANT lies and false hopes. I have worked here for several years and I am technically making LESS money than when I started if you take the ever increasing cost of living into consideration. Even without inflation I still only make about $1,500 more a year than when I started. Taking this job was a good idea in theory I guess, but it is time to leave. I deserve more and will no longer risk my life for an agency and state that doesn't care about me. I suggest you all do the same!!

05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
FHP staffing is about to get much much worse...stand by everyone!!!! I am sick to death at the crap this agency gets put through. Oh almost forgot just to make sure the shot in the chest feels good, YOUR health insurance cost is going UP!. This agency SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Lets strike in our own way! Everyone DO NOT write tickets unless you have to such as in a crash. If you aren't on a call go x23 somewhere with your coworkers and enjoy your time together. Don't go out there and run radar/laser or watch redlights. Let's not do CRAP!!! What has our hardwork brought us? Nothing, but a bank account in the negative zone! I put my life on the line everyday to protect this state and I get NOTHING!

It is time we think of ourselves since NO ONE else will!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Hey 114th Class, better quit now while you have the chance, its not to late!!!

05-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey 114th Class, better quit now while you have the chance, its not to late!!!

05-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Come apply at one of the larger sheriff's offices and keep the same retirement you already have. I make well over 50K a year as a slick sleeve deputy BEFORE any overtime ... and no, I'm not in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Broward, or any of the others you may think.

05-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Then where r u from FL Deputy? I'm ready to start filling out the applications! :D

05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Come apply at one of the larger sheriff's offices and keep the same retirement you already have. I make well over 50K a year as a slick sleeve deputy BEFORE any overtime ... and no, I'm not in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Broward, or any of the others you may think.

Yeah tell me I am a Sarasota Deputy and its not here.

We are experiencing the same screw over the State cops on here are The county told our Sheriff to cut our budget my 10 million. Dont worry PBA will save us. yeah ok. 1100 people in our agency and we havent seen a raise in two years and the property tax jumped 110%.
Good luck Troopers we can relate.

Been There, Done That
05-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear this terrible news guys......So now its time to take care of yourselves and your families. Find greener pastures. They do exist and with some research into the areas you might be willing to work, you can find them. Keep one thing in mind. The bigger the agency, the more opportunities available. Many places have traffic units, or any other aspect you might be interested in. GO FOR IT ! !

05-22-2007, 01:46 AM
I am curious where some of my fellow Troopers have applied. I am also thinking that enough is enough and would like input as to the agencies others have researched and found to be worth while so I do not waste my time looking at the ones that are not worth it. I am willing to go just about any where in the state as I already am staioned in S. FL. Please list the agencies you guys have found to be good and why. Thanks!!!

05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a buddy who works FWC, he says they had 159 letters or resignation show up when the news came in. And on the prison side (DOC) here in SWFL, we are losing people let and right. We are working 16 hours days 5 days a week to meet minimum staffing. Just seeing what kinda number you are losing?

05-23-2007, 06:14 AM
I have a buddy who works FWC, he says they had 159 letters or resignation show up when the news came in. And on the prison side (DOC) here in SWFL, we are losing people let and right. We are working 16 hours days 5 days a week to meet minimum staffing. Just seeing what kinda number you are losing?

Right now we are in a catch 22. I have people approach me while on duty asking to be a trooper. We need more people, but at the same time I dont want some poor soul going through the same crap I have. I never dwell on the negative when explaining the current FHP to interested individuals, but I sure as hell dont paint a rosey picture either. I tell them the work schedules are piss poor as are many supervisors. I explain that in larger areas 75% of your day will be nothing but calls. And of course I explain the grim and almost comical salary situation. Many people say "wow, I had no idea its like that. Thanks. Maybe I will try with the S.O or city." I hate to turn people off like that because FHP seriously needs people, but like I said before I dont want to put them in the 3 years down the tubes for nothing predicament Im in.

What's really bad is we have so many people leaving that it is only making things WORSE for those still employed. These work schedules are just terrible lately! Midnights every 3 months and virtually no morning shifts or weekends off anymore. Many times you have to call in sick to get a day off because we are so short staffed. If we had 10-12 people on a squad then letting 2-3 people off during a given shift would be no big deal. Now if we let 3 people off half the squad is gone. The normal rate of attrition has been around 100 people a year here lately. I think it will easily be twice that for 2007.

05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
FWC did not have 159 letters of resignation since the session ended. I dont believe they had 10 since the session ended. Bogus rumors...

05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
First of all you guys need to get it in your heads that you are a regulatory law enforcement agency, you collect information for HSMV, in the process you make arrests for violation state and federal laws on state highways. You knew before and when you applied how much the pay scale was. Now that you have the job you sit back and say man I'm not making enough money. Live within your means, you guys want to spend money you are not making and then turn around and want a pay raise for what, writing tickets, a community service officer can do that. The crash investigations you guys do are the best, but should you be paid $40k plus for it, heck no. If you don't like it, leave, but you won't because you are a bunch of weak men hide behind this post complaining about something you will never have control over. Go out on your shift, do a honest day's work for the tax payers, stop the speeders, drug runners and drunks, make it home safe and call it the day and for God sake stop spending money you don't have and you will see that your salaries are not all that bad. If you know you make only $38k, don't go buy a $400k house or $50k truck. I know the troopers who use to be in the military are not the ones complaining, they have been under much more stress and for much less pay, oh yeah and they couldn't quit if they wanted, it's call fulfilling your obligations to your country or in this case, to your state.

05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Yall are lazy anyway, nobody would know if you did strike

05-23-2007, 10:39 PM
FWC did not have 159 letters of resignation since the session ended. I dont believe they had 10 since the session ended. Bogus rumors...

Just going by what I heard from your FWC co-workers. They gave me that number, now could they have inflated it? Yes but still Im sure every FL LEO agency is going to be losing people after this. I know you are losing 5 from the Tampa to Ft myers area, not to retirement....

05-23-2007, 11:40 PM
First of all you guys need to get it in your heads that you are a regulatory law enforcement agency, you collect information for HSMV, in the process you make arrests for violation state and federal laws on state highways. You knew before and when you applied how much the pay scale was. Now that you have the job you sit back and say man I'm not making enough money. Live within your means, you guys want to spend money you are not making and then turn around and want a pay raise for what, writing tickets, a community service officer can do that. The crash investigations you guys do are the best, but should you be paid $40k plus for it, heck no. If you don't like it, leave, but you won't because you are a bunch of weak men hide behind this post complaining about something you will never have control over. Go out on your shift, do a honest day's work for the tax payers, stop the speeders, drug runners and drunks, make it home safe and call it the day and for God sake stop spending money you don't have and you will see that your salaries are not all that bad. If you know you make only $38k, don't go buy a $400k house or $50k truck. I know the troopers who use to be in the military are not the ones complaining, they have been under much more stress and for much less pay, oh yeah and they couldn't quit if they wanted, it's call fulfilling your obligations to your country or in this case, to your state.

Wow, you must be real smart to figure that all out or you are a dirtbag that lives in a trailer. We make $36,000 a year. Try living a decent life on that in an area like Tampa or Orlando. I could only afford a $160-170K house. Do you know what that looks like in Tampa or Orlando? I would be living in the ghetto. Your post is full of contradictory statements, such as our job can be done by a CSO, yet you tell us to go stop drug runners. Can CSOs do that smart guy? And people in the military couldn't quit? What are you smoking? I know of several people from the military that have quit. Many people from the military I know are doing this for EXTRA money because they retired from the military about 10 years ago. They tell me they would NEVER do this job if it wasnt for their retirement because they simply couldnt afford it. All we troopers want is what every other state agency gets, DECENT PAY. Do I expect $60,000 a year like some of these troopers in other states get? HECK NO! What I do expect is to be able to afford an AVERAGE house within the county I work in. That means I need to make at least $45,000 a year. We have NO step pay plan here at FHP. Can you really sit there and tell me ANY employee in ANY job should accept not having a step pay plan?

BTW, why dont you tell us what you do for a living? Im sure I can pick it apart and tell you how you deserve much less.

05-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Yall are lazy anyway, nobody would know if you did strike

And you're a dumb uneducated hillbilly.

05-24-2007, 12:35 AM

Wow, you must be real smart to figure that all out or you are a dirtbag that lives in a trailer. We make $36,000 a year. Try living a decent life on that in an area like Tampa or Orlando. I could only afford a $160-170K house. Do you know what that looks like in Tampa or Orlando? I would be living in the ghetto. Your post is full of contradictory statements, such as our job can be done by a CSO, yet you tell us to go stop drug runners. Can CSOs do that smart guy? And people in the military couldn't quit? What are you smoking? I know of several people from the military that have quit. Many people from the military I know are doing this for EXTRA money because they retired from the military about 10 years ago. They tell me they would NEVER do this job if it wasnt for their retirement because they simply couldnt afford it. All we troopers want is what every other state agency gets, DECENT PAY. Do I expect $60,000 a year like some of these troopers in other states get? HECK NO! What I do expect is to be able to afford an AVERAGE house within the county I work in. That means I need to make at least $45,000 a year. We have NO step pay plan here at FHP. Can you really sit there and tell me ANY employee in ANY job should accept not having a step pay plan?

I'm just hitting on the one point, because I'm a state leo (not w/fhp). FHP is the highest paid LEO agency (excluding FDLE). And for the previous poster, Do you think you should make more money because you deal with domestics more than we do.

05-24-2007, 03:53 AM

I'm just hitting on the one point, because I'm a state leo (not w/fhp). FHP is the highest paid LEO agency (excluding FDLE). And for the previous poster, Do you think you should make more money because you deal with domestics more than we do.

I was referring to other state highway patrols/state police agencies. Florida's starting pay is competitive, but after 5 years we get blown out of the water! Places like NY, OK, IL, and PA pay well over 50K a year after a few years experience. NY troopers make 50k in the ACADEMY and you can promote to SGT after 4 years and start at 90K. Florida is number 49 out of 49 when it comes to wages.

05-24-2007, 04:13 AM
19 years ago Florida was 48 out of 49 for the lowest paid state agency in the country, only to be out done by LA. The only thing that has changed since then is that LA. has a damn good starting pay package and Florida is still sucking hine tit. It has always will be an uphill battle for better wages in this state and I guess it always will be.

05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree your pay could be better, but you are not real cops, your traffic cops, you should have known that when you signed on. Stop crying, if you want better pay and think you are up to it, go to an SO or PD and run real calls, not fender benders.

05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey, try making it at Agriculture, DEP, or ABT, same or more training, less pay. Look at your leadership, a joke as is most of state law enforcement. Now you have a separate bargaining unit just for you. Stupid move because the legislature will divide and conquer state law enforcement. Unfortunatley, you whiners are the face of state law enforcement, and we all have to pay for your gaffs...

05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
I am another SLEO as well, and too be honest FHP Troopers are the laziest bunch of LEO's I have met. I am not much for bashing, but I get tired of hearing how ELITE you are. That is a bunch of brainwashing crap. YOU have never lived up to that hype. YOu arfe fed that BUll in your academy and you have a media machine cram it down our throats. But when the rubber meets the road, you do not come close to living up to it. I have read on this board about hurricane response, Riot response, Flood Response, blah, blah, blah...Truth is when it comes to those type of responses FHP cannot and never will hold a candle to DEP, AG, or FWC. All of those agencies are better equipped to handle those jobs. You guys get one job responsibility at those events; INTERSECTIONS, and you whine and complain and suck at that. Heck, you have to have 4 freaking troopers at an intersection because of some stupid FIELD FORCE Policy. One guy in the intersection, three sitting in A/C vehicle, complaining. You have you own leadership, and ridiculous ELITIST attitude to blame for the bashing and lack of sympathy you get on this page. I can teach my 16 year old daugheter to handle the majority of your job! I have met some great Troopers over the years, and worked all over the State, but I still would not feel comfortable with any of them as my back up when the crap hits the proverbial fan. Stop whining about your pay, stop acting like you are so great (you really aren't), and come back down to earth. Maybe then you wont get bashed as aggressively.

05-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I agree your pay could be better, but you are not real cops, your traffic cops, you should have known that when you signed on. Stop crying, if you want better pay and think you are up to it, go to an SO or PD and run real calls, not fender benders.

I hope to become a real cop like you so I too can learn the difference between your and you are. Your job isn't that tough either smarty. Barking dog calls and false alarms dont take a lot of savy police work.

05-24-2007, 04:18 PM
I am another SLEO as well, and too be honest FHP Troopers are the laziest bunch of LEO's I have met. I am not much for bashing, but I get tired of hearing how ELITE you are. That is a bunch of brainwashing crap. YOU have never lived up to that hype. YOu arfe fed that BUll in your academy and you have a media machine cram it down our throats. But when the rubber meets the road, you do not come close to living up to it. I have read on this board about hurricane response, Riot response, Flood Response, blah, blah, blah...Truth is when it comes to those type of responses FHP cannot and never will hold a candle to DEP, AG, or FWC. All of those agencies are better equipped to handle those jobs. You guys get one job responsibility at those events; INTERSECTIONS, and you whine and complain and suck at that. Heck, you have to have 4 freaking troopers at an intersection because of some stupid FIELD FORCE Policy. One guy in the intersection, three sitting in A/C vehicle, complaining. You have you own leadership, and ridiculous ELITIST attitude to blame for the bashing and lack of sympathy you get on this page. I can teach my 16 year old daugheter to handle the majority of your job! I have met some great Troopers over the years, and worked all over the State, but I still would not feel comfortable with any of them as my back up when the crap hits the proverbial fan. Stop whining about your pay, stop acting like you are so great (you really aren't), and come back down to earth. Maybe then you wont get bashed as aggressively.

Billy, your an idiot, what else is there to say?

05-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Whether I am an idiot or not is debateable, and definitely a matter of opinion. However, the statements I made are most certainly true. I am sure you will dispute the disaster response for your agency, but those of us who have responded for years know the truth. FHP doesn't even attend many meetings with FDLE on disaster response, because they think they are too ELITE to do so. Unfortunately, the good ones are swallowed up by the many bad ones.

05-26-2007, 04:15 AM

Whether I am an idiot or not is debateable, and definitely a matter of opinion. However, the statements I made are most certainly true. I am sure you will dispute the disaster response for your agency, but those of us who have responded for years know the truth. FHP doesn't even attend many meetings with FDLE on disaster response, because they think they are too ELITE to do so. Unfortunately, the good ones are swallowed up by the many bad ones.

FHP is the largest resource of state manpower that responds to disasters. Does your dept send 100-150 officers to a disaster area? I dont think so. We send so many people we dont all have to attend an FDLE meeting. We send the brass and they come back and tell us what the deal is. You are an idiot and next time state leo's are deployed, tell the boss you dont want FHP to go, the 15-20 officers from whatever small dept you work for sends is quite enough.

05-29-2007, 04:30 AM
I have been a hard working high activity Trooper over 16 years. When the no pay raise news came out it really destroyed any hope for me to stay with FHP. I have listened to them say maybe next year since I started driving a black and tan car on the highway. I allready had an application in with a large SO in S Fla.. This agency was very impressed with my FHP experience and willing to pay me for it. Once this property tax situation is cleared up and that agency ends the hiring freeze, I'M GONE. I didn't come here for the money, but heck I want to live middle-class. The one thing we as LEO's in the Florida Retirement system get is a nice retirement, but not if your high 5 years SUCK. When they closed our academy it was a sign. The quality of new hires and the management gets worse. I lost my freedom with my AVL tracking my every move, and the freedom we had as Troopers was something that kept me here. Now we lost the raise I thought we might get. I'm gone when that S.O. calls me to come to work. FHP means, will work for FREE or HALF PRICE. I would be a fool to stay with this agency.

05-29-2007, 03:16 PM
I have been a hard working high activity Trooper over 16 years. When the no pay raise news came out it really destroyed any hope for me to stay with FHP. I have listened to them say maybe next year since I started driving a black and tan car on the highway. I allready had an application in with a large SO in S Fla.. This agency was very impressed with my FHP experience and willing to pay me for it. Once this property tax situation is cleared up and that agency ends the hiring freeze, I'M GONE. I didn't come here for the money, but heck I want to live middle-class. The one thing we as LEO's in the Florida Retirement system get is a nice retirement, but not if your high 5 years SUCK. When they closed our academy it was a sign. The quality of new hires and the management gets worse. I lost my freedom with my AVL tracking my every move, and the freedom we had as Troopers was something that kept me here. Now we lost the raise I thought we might get. I'm gone when that S.O. calls me to come to work. FHP means, will work for FREE or HALF PRICE. I would be a fool to stay with this agency.

Right behind you!!!!!! Don't look back!!!!!! Don't let anyone try to get you to stay!!!!!!Good Luck!!!!!!

06-01-2007, 01:15 AM
oh please, fhp does not want to go there, you have 1700 traffic cops, and you whine about actually having to direct traffic !. as much as you crossing guards cry you cannot make it with an so or pd because thats real police work. there are some good troopers but only the chronics show up here, when you should be answering signal 4 calls. elite ? please prove it by showing up and stop your sniveling. tell your little napoleon colonel to man up too...

06-01-2007, 06:02 AM
oh please, fhp does not want to go there, you have 1700 traffic cops, and you whine about actually having to direct traffic !. as much as you crossing guards cry you cannot make it with an so or pd because thats real police work. there are some good troopers but only the chronics show up here, when you should be answering signal 4 calls. elite ? please prove it by showing up and stop your sniveling. tell your little napoleon colonel to man up too...

I wish someone would rewrite your twelve year old illiterate, rambling post so I could understand what the f%&* you are saying. Go to school and learn to write you dumb hillbilly. You couldnt even make it as a meter maid in downtown Tampa if you had 4 troopers holding your hand. If you are going to post something that ridicules someone then make sure you dont sound like a total crackhead loser.

06-01-2007, 06:09 AM

I see the janitor is playing on the computer again. Your gonna get it trouble!!

06-02-2007, 12:27 AM
As a trooper, you dont have to read or write, now you have a computer to fill in your citation. Why dont you talk to the janitor, you might learn something jerk off..

06-02-2007, 01:01 AM
As a trooper, you dont have to read or write, now you have a computer to fill in your citation. Why dont you talk to the janitor, you might learn something jerk off..

Yea, because all we do is "fill in citations".

06-02-2007, 04:20 AM

Jerk off, oooh, you got me there. Your a real smart guy from what I can tell. Now you better quit screwing around on the computer and get back to cleaning the crapper. Im not playing, this is the last straw. After all you are a Real Custodian Of Potty

06-03-2007, 03:04 PM
God help us if the citizens are reading this drivel, it make our profession seem cheap and tawdry. You know the old saying, want to put something on the street, tell a cop. You people need to grow up, stop your ******#! and remember that YOU signed up for this, it ain't Wall Street !

06-04-2007, 04:39 AM
God help us if the citizens are reading this drivel, it make our profession seem cheap and tawdry. You know the old saying, want to put something on the street, tell a cop. You people need to grow up, stop your ******#! and remember that YOU signed up for this, it ain't Wall Street !

If some of the local so called "real cops" would quit being idiots, there wouldnt be a problem now would there?

Unregistered
03-29-2019, 12:56 AM
12 years and still on-going!

Unregistered
03-31-2019, 03:53 PM
I hope to become a real cop like you so I too can learn the difference between your and you are. Your job isn't that tough either smarty. Barking dog calls and false alarms dont take a lot of savy police work.

Common you write tickets and work crashes....Yea real POLICE work..

Unregistered
03-31-2019, 03:54 PM

Tell the citizenry to stay off of this site...who cares what they see

Unregistered
04-27-2019, 03:49 AM
I left a year ago. Worst decision i ever made. Trying to get back on again now.