PDA

View Full Version : VERY INTERESTING VERY VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!

05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
www.newssun.com (http://www.newssun.com) :arrow:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fort Meade officer to run for sheriff
Seeking the Republican nomination

Kevin J. Shutt
Staff writer

By KEVIN J. SHUTT

kevin.shutt@newssun.com

He wants to triple the number of K-9s on the force. He wants to add a bomb-sniffing dog. He wants to get a helicopter. He wants to give the sheriff's office back to the people.

Lt. Ruel Durrance is the Fort Meade Police Department deputy chief. He wants to be sheriff of Highlands County.

"She has done a fine job," Durrance said of Sheriff Susan Benton, who began her first term in 2005. "I just think I can do better."

Durrance wanted to clarify four points - he's not a politician, criticisms of Benton aren't meant to be derogatory, he won't sling mud and he wants the citizens to have access to him, now and if he's elected in 2008.

His phone number is (863) 559-8857.

"You have to work within the confines of your budget," he said, acknowledging a $27 million budget. "But, you have to be as innovative as your mind will let you."

Durrance said he could get more tracking dogs and a helicopter through grants or military surplus.

The shooting death of Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Nicholas Sottile in January brought the department's lack of a helicopter to his attention.

"You shouldn't have to depend on others," Durrance said, calling the sheriff's office the "premier" law enforcement agency. He also cited a tie to Sottile - Durrance is a second or third cousin. "I'll say there's a lot of room for improvement."

Durrance has been in law enforcement 19 years, all but one of those with Fort Meade. Currently, he's the deputy chief.

Durrance was born in Sebring and raised in Fort Meade. His parents live here and he recently inherited property on Jess Durrance Road, off of State Road 66. He hasn't changed residency, yet.

"It's not that I'm walking into a blind situation," Durrance said, explaining he frequently visits Highlands County and has contacts within Benton's department, from patrol to administration.

COPS and illegal immigration
Through those contacts, he's formed his opinion of what needs to be done.

Using a modified COP program (Community Oriented Policing), Durrance wants to establish a rapport with the community by putting more deputies in the neighborhoods and school resource officers on campus.

"Visibility deters crime," he said of moving patrols from U.S. 27 to the back roads, noting that he's heard complaints that too many tickets are issued on the highway.

Where he wants to increase the public's access to the department, Durrance said as sheriff he would employ the same tactic with the his deputies by directly negotiating contracts with the Police Benevolent Association, the deputies' union.

Before he became lieutenant, Durrance said he negotiated contracts for and against Fort Meade on behalf of the union.

By, dealing directly with the union instead of leaving it to the staff attorney, Durrance said he'd be attuned to what the deputies want and need.

Is said it's unfair that tenured officers don't receive longevity raises after 10 years.

"Do they want a five percent raise this year?" he asked, rhetorically. "Or, (will they) take a hit on the raise and get more deputies out there to help. I'm on a personal level with them. They see what I can and can't do."

His opinions and ideas were strong where asset acquisition and an open-door policy were concerned (he proposed a day per week for the public to see him), but his stance on enforcing federal illegal immigration laws was less firm.

"I'm a pretty firm believe that if they're over here they're doing a service," Durrance said of illegal aliens. "But, I think they need to be over here legally under our laws."

He said he's "all for" enforcing the law, but hinted that, with more resources, the federal government was better suited to handle immigration violations.

Felony convictions would trigger deportation efforts, Durrance said.

"They do a good job at performing that service," Durrance said of the , noting that they can be responsible for increased insurance premiums and crime rates. "It's not a win-win situation. If you're deporting people who are walking down the street because he's illegal, who are you harming?"

In the end, Durrance hasn't made a decision, but would leave it to the will of the people.

"That's why I want to give the sheriff's office back to the people," he said. "The main thing I want is to make the Highlands County Sheriff's Office an agency to be emulated by others, not an agency that emulates somebody else."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

home : local news : local news April 30, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/29/2007 4:06:00 PM Email this article • Print this article
Brief Bio
Ruel Durrance was born in Sebring and raised in Fort Meade.

He's been married to Rachel, of Fort Meade, for four years. They have four children: Hunter, 11, Logan, 11, Ethan, 9, and Alexis, 4.

"Hunter and Ethan are step-sons, but I claim them as my own," Durrance said.

His parents live in Highlands County and he recently inherited propert off of State Road 66. He's not a resident here.

Durrance attended the 216th session of the FBI National Academy in 2004. He has a bachelors in business management and expects to complete his masters in business administration in 2008.

He's been thinking about running for sheriff here for 6-8 years, but wanted to "get the paperwork in line."

He wants to run as a Republican and began attending the local executive committee's meetings in March. He said he'll be at all the forthcoming meetings and will make his presence felt in the community.

Heather Thomas
05-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Mike Brown for Highland's County Sheriff in 2008. Go Mike!

05-01-2007, 01:28 AM
This maybe just what the department needs! Outside Blood with no ties. Sorta like Terry Lewis coming here, he knew no one and made some good decisions.I think if Lewis would have stayed morale would not be what it is now. I wonder Durrance is any relation to Judge Dale Durrance as he was from Ft Meade. This could make things very interesting :)
18 months to go!

05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Wow! Helicopters, more dogs, extensive experience in a four person agency, five dollar budget, what else can we hope for?

Heather Thomas
05-01-2007, 11:44 PM
What's wrong with wanting Helicopters and K-9's? I remember the Pembroke Park Police Department in Broward county in the early 1980's with not one but two Helicopter's. This was in addition to two K-9 units and a SWAT team. Not bad for a department that only had 18 square miles of area to patrol. What has Susan Benton done for Highlands county except lower morale and increase ticket revenue? Can someone with a screen name please advise.

05-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Wow! Helicopters, more dogs, extensive experience in a four person agency, five dollar budget, what else can we hope for?

Oh, good to see the resident know -it- all speak again. For starters, you may "look forward" to decrease the burglaries if you quit camping out on the highway. Freakin' robots.

Way to crap on someone you know nothing about. Done pooping on the PBA, so you decided to shift your focus??? Are you Mr. Thomas? :roll: Put away your stink-stirring stick, coward.

You may at least expect some "major" changes with some new blood. Did ya get all that, or still scratching your head?

Heather Thomas
05-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Speaking of south Florida agencies, has anyone bothered checking the internal affairs files on a certain central Florida sheriff? I bet not!

05-02-2007, 01:41 AM
pembroke park is a district of the broward sheriff office.

05-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Wow! A coward huh? That's coming from a fellow poster who won't reveal their name either. I'll tell ya what tough guy/girl, you show me yours and I'll show you mine. I hope this isnt "Failure to engage". Yeah, you know who you are.

Heather Thomas
05-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Pembroke Park is District 1 at BSO. Prior to this, it was it's own agency. Much the same as Tamarac, Dania Beach, Cooper City, Lauderdale Lakes, etc. Lauderhill went BSO but quit a few years ago. Much the same as Nick Navarro, Ken Jenne is fast becoming king of the county. That is if he does not get indicted first. By the way, don't forget to check them internal affairs records. At BSO, the unit is called Professional Compliance.

05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I miss Howie!

05-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Pembroke Park is District 1 at BSO. Prior to this, it was it's own agency. Much the same as Tamarac, Dania Beach, Cooper City, Lauderdale Lakes, etc. Lauderhill went BSO but quit a few years ago. Much the same as Nick Navarro, Ken Jenne is fast becoming king of the county. That is if he does not get indicted first. By the way, don't forget to check them internal affairs records. At BSO, the unit is called Professional Compliance.

So what does Pembroke Park have to do with HCSO or Durrance :?:
Why did most of the band wagon jump off the Durrance thread with no replies but be all over Armstead. We all know Armstead, he his just treading water, but I would really like to know more about Durrance, if anyone knows anything. 8)

05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I guess anyone that may want useful opinions were run off by the "dawg". You can always count on him to trash a thread with poorly informed observations and personal insults to some one that he has labeled with a little pet name. Check any of the other threads that have been graced with such contributions :roll:

05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I am not frighten or running away from "dawg". We all know who he is as he runs away once the topic gets hot, or maybe he is told to cool it by someone else as his agenda is not hidden. :devil:
I live my life through the eyes of the ones I love not by the ones who judge me without knowing me.......
He can insult whom ever he would like but he not need to worry about so much about what is going on at work unless it directly concerns him. But then I guess if the election does not go the way he wants then he might be standing next to Armstead...
He needs to worry about the bad publicity he would get if everyone looked on myspace on certain accounts. :oops:

The old saying You should not judge others from a glass house, unless you are ready for others to look through your own windows at you. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

05-06-2007, 07:09 PM
What? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

05-14-2007, 10:52 PM
I miss Howie!!!

05-15-2007, 02:30 AM
This is HIGHLANDS County NOT BROWARD!!!!! Who cares what Broward or any of Broward's police departments have or had or when they got it?????? They have a MUCH larger tax base to work with and therefore can afford such things as two helicopters, etc. I am so sick of everyone coming from South Fl and/or the coasts and then wanting this county to be the way "we had it back in _______ County". Things may not be perfect here, and yes there is always room for improvement, but if you are so unhappy with Highlands County -- MOVE!!!!!

05-16-2007, 01:32 AM
What is it going to take to get Mike Brown to announce his candidacy for sheriff in 2008? Based upon the last couple of years, he would be a sure bet for sheriff. BTW - who is 4' 8" and thinks he has a shot at becoming sheriff?

05-16-2007, 02:03 AM
A rat? :lol:

05-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Will Susan, in light of her incredible temper, liberal use of four-letter words and indiscretion in letting loose -- even run again?

06-07-2007, 01:24 AM
As a used car salesman, I can appreciate the need to upgrade occasionally. Our sheriff should have a nicer vehicle than all of her troops. With her hard work and dedication, she deserves it.

06-12-2007, 02:27 PM
I miss Howie! :(

06-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Aardvarks

07-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Aardvarks?? Have I been nominated?? There are a bunch of fine candidates, just ask all of them.

Be Safe HCSO, your friend ARD