PDA

View Full Version : 12 hour shifts

04-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Just wondering how large your patrol force is and how many cars will be staffed during these 12 hours shifts.

06-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Well??

06-09-2007, 04:48 PM
You really want us to tell the public exactly how many police officers are going to be on patrol at any given moment?

In the hands of an organized criminal enterprise, such information could prove to be very dangerous to the officers, not to mention the public at large.

If you're a cop and you want to know--come ask one of us in person. Otherwise, you have no need to know--get lost.

06-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Hahahaha!!! You're kidding right?

Organized crime?? This is Gulfport, Florida - home of the alternative lifestyle not Gulfport, Mississippi - home of organized gambling.

06-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Hahahaha!!! You're kidding right?

Organized crime?? This is Gulfport, Florida - home of the alternative lifestyle not Gulfport, Mississippi - home of organized gambling.

If you're a cop, quit now. People like you get the rest of us hurt. If not, it's like I said--get lost.

06-10-2007, 02:52 AM
are you a fool or something. Police staffing is no secret. If you were a street officer instead of a staffer you would probably want the word to get out. Maybe they would be forced to get some officers out on the street.

06-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I never said it was a secret, but it's not public information either. And publishing our patrol schedules on the internet is just plain dumb.

I do agree that our current "soft hiring freeze" is ridiculous and that we very much need the four officers we are missing, so you do have a point. But it should be the FOP and PBA bringing that to the attention of the council members directly, but apparently they only want our dues so they can negotiate a lame contract. Any other work is above them.

06-10-2007, 09:30 PM
For the sake of anwering the question...kind of...

Coming from a Gport guy, the 12 hour shift is actually working. We have "enough" officer's on the road every shift. It will get tricky if lots of people put in for vacation or if someone calls in sick for a long period of time. But so far so good. If we could get more folks hired, we would be stacked.

It would be nice to do extra things like special traffic details or other proactive stuff inside of the squad instead of always having to do it on a day off. Although now that we are on 12's, overtime is slim pickins. I think staff had a good idea when they put us on 12's, but it would work way better with more peps, ya dig.

Sorry i'm not giving exact number of officers, but it's like the other poster says, its just not a good idea.

06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
You have an FOP lodge representative. If you have any problems or concerns that need to be addressed let your rep know so he can bring it to the attention of the lodge. Nothing can be done if the information isn't passed on.