PDA

View Full Version : tax

04-21-2007, 06:59 PM
hi people so anyone know whats up with this tax bill? if they do away with prop tax how will that effect if you are to be hired????

Been There, Done That
04-23-2007, 01:59 AM
OK.....maybe i am NOT the brightest bulb on the string....I dont see the connection between proprty tax and being hired....... :?

04-23-2007, 01:57 PM
OK.....maybe i am NOT the brightest bulb on the string....I dont see the connection between proprty tax and being hired....... :?

Sure it sounds like they're unrelated BUT in a nutshell... If the revenue the Counties receive through our growing property taxes is cut, the money has to come from somewhere. So that's the idea with raising our sales tax (to a nationwide high something like 8.5%). Property taxes go for schools, community services, parks, public safety, etc. In a recent article discussing this, they even mentioned how challenging this undertaking will be, considering that PBSO has asked for an increase of millions in their budget. It is definitely something to keep an eye on. Thank heavens the purchase of the new CAD/laptops has already been implemented. What will it effect in the future? Hirings? Equipment? Benefits agencywide? Maybe nothing.

04-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Why not raise the sales tax to 8.5 or even 10%. Then do away with property tax or reduce it by one half. This way, all of those persons that don't pay property tax (those that rent homes, those that have no homes at all, but still find money to buy booze, cigs, and crack) will still be kicking in to support the state & county. It's just so crazy, it might work.

04-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I know i would have to pay ALOT of sales tax to exceed my property tax every year.

LEO Spouse
04-23-2007, 05:12 PM
The government is not going to get rid of property taxes altogether. The property that is HOMESTEADED will be waived, but if you own rental or business property, that property will still be taxed. The increase in sales tax will compensate for the lost property tax for homesteaded property.

This is only one of the options before the current legislature. Gov. Crist is looking at other options, too.

04-24-2007, 03:17 AM
well sorry you think its not a good question.but i here the tax cut may cause lay off,s .i was just asking if that could happen.now you see the connection????????????????

Been There, Done That
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
well sorry you think its not a good question.but i here the tax cut may cause lay off,s .i was just asking if that could happen.now you see the connection????????????????

I honestly don’t see "lay-offs" as anything to worry about for the time being. Nothing has changed as of yet, its all just speculation. If a drastic cut does happen, a sales tax or something else will change to compensate for it, to lessen the blow. But whatever happens, I think the politicians know this much. They will protect the residents living here full time WHO CAN VOTE, and the rest will fall by the wayside, and thereby, pay out the nose. I don’t know what the answer will be......raise the Homestead exemption, add to the sales tax, or combination of this and something else. All I know is something has to be done. The snowbirds add to our economy and pay a lot in their un-homesteaded properties. They are on fixed incomes and the taxes must be killing them. Will they keep it or sell it?? More "For Sale" signs?? Sales are crawling now. And other southern and warm States are actively courting the northern groups saying, "Our taxes are MUCH lower and our property isn’t so high, and NO HURRICANES......come spend your money here, we love you! ! !
IMHO, something needs to be done or the whole state will suffer.