PDA

View Full Version : S/A offices

04-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Sheriff Bradshaw we need your help. Can you talk with the S/A to try and put a stop to them nofiling or pleaing out all of our cases? :evil: :evil:

04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
I think certian Districts are now tracking all "No Files" to bring to Mr. K and put a stop to the nonsense

04-15-2007, 06:59 PM
This is a pathetic joke.....There is NO WAY we are gonna get them to stop their junk. They only take "X" number of cases per year, so then they "weed them out". Weak cases, cases that require a REAL litigator to prosecute the case are the 1st to go. So, they take in "X" number of handpicked cases.....then they make PLEA DEALS to close the case. And the rest they prosecute.....this is how they have such a good conviction rate.....

Our SA Office is terrible......****

04-15-2007, 09:20 PM
[quote="Anonymous"]This is a joke.....There is NO WAY we are gonna get then to stop their stuff. They only take "X" number of cases per year, so then they "weed them out". Weak cases, cases that require a REAL litigator to prosecute the case are the 1st to go. So, they take in "X" number of handpicked cases.....then they make PLEA DEALS to close the case. And the rest they prosecute.....this is how they have such a good conviction rate.....

Our SA Office is terrible......
Can I get a big AMEN!

04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk....so don't take this the wrong way...If "all" of your cases are being no filed maybe the problem is not with the S/A's office...and again I'm being serious...a lot of the time officer's put together poorly written PC affidavits...and that is generally all the S/A has to work with...sometimes all the elements of the crimes are not even in the PC's and that is a real problem...and also you should try calling the state attorney on your cases that you want filed...not always but sometimes if you make the call to them they will reconsider and I have personally had them file a case they were originally going to no file because of the call I made...however be prepared they are probably going to ask for some kind of additional information like another statement or something we think is stupid but they want it for some reason or another...and don't think that I don't agree that they no file some cases that should be filed I'm just tryiing to constructively help...

04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
By no way am I defending the SAO but i do have a friend thats assigned to the PD office. The main reason why cases are No Filed or pled out is the overwhelming cases LEO supply every year. Palm Beach almost matches the same number of arrests of Broward & Miami-Dade but PB has only 1/3 of the attorney's assigned to the SAO.
PB has more SA assigned to the traffic division than to anyother division because they are the easiest to "convict/win" for Barry K. Complain to Crist and Barry K to assign more SA to the correct divisions to fight cases and not just worry about traffic. PB County gets 4-8 weekends (12-24 days) for DWLS compare to 3-8 days time served & $258 fine for felony Poss. Of Marijuan. Does that make sense?
Martin/St Lucie County bond for felony Poss. Of Marij/Cocaine $30,000 to 50,000. Palm Beach bond $5,000-10,000....does this make sense?

If your fustrated by the State system of convictions and time....do what alot of other D/S are trying to create a trend. Take the case federal to the ATF or DEA. These agencys are not just for Op Gang Busters or Gang Unit or OCB units. If its something good with a well written PC, doesn't hurt to make a couple contacts and ask if they like to take the case federal. Federal DEA Pos. Of Cocaine of 5 grams is 5 year min.

This is the first post I've ever made. I don't try to get into the drama of others. I feel this forum should be source to assist and help each other. I'm not in a specialized unit, but have reach out to them (communication) to take cases federal w/a positive results.

And just because the case goes federal doesn't mean you don't get the stat for it. I've taken gun cases federal to the ATF and the same agent called me 3 months later & gave me a case at a Gun Shop for Felony Poss. I scratched their back and they scratch mine.

04-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Misdemeanor Mike. Felony Intake

I was in his office one day direct filng a felony and he calls the VICTIM infront of me and brow beats her into not coming to court...

"Your going to take days off from work if we go to court?!?!?!"

He then pleas the case down to a misdemeanor.

Unbelievable.[/b]

04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Anyone know the magic phrase for taken the case to "Committee"?

A round table discussion on cases that the S/A has.

Been There, Done That
04-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Misdemeanor Mike. Felony Intake

I was in his office one day direct filng a felony and he calls the VICTIM infront of me and brow beats her into not coming to court...

"Your going to take days off from work if we go to court?!?!?!"

He then pleas the case down to a misdemeanor.

Unbelievable.[/b]

Here is more proof......this case was plead to a misdemeanor BUT SHOWS AS A CONVICTION for the SA Office ! ! ! A WIN FOR THEM ! ! And a kick in the backside for the victims and US as well.

04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I have to agree that it sounds perhaps more like a d/s problem than a sa problem.

Been There, Done That
04-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I have to agree that it sounds perhaps more like a d/s problem than a sa problem.

Oh yee of LITTLE EXPERIENCE

04-20-2007, 03:21 AM
This is a joke.....There is NO WAY we are gonna get then to stop this junk. They only take "X" number of cases per year, so then they "weed them out". Weak cases, cases that require a REAL litigator to prosecute the case are the 1st to go. So, they take in "X" number of handpicked cases.....then they make PLEA DEALS to close the case. And the rest they prosecute.....this is how they have such a good conviction rate.....

Can I get a big AMEN!

04-20-2007, 03:49 AM
This is a joke.....There is NO WAY we are gonna get them to stop this junk. They only take "X" number of cases per year, so then they "weed them out". Weak cases, cases that require a REAL litigator to prosecute the case are the 1st to go. So, they take in "X" number of handpicked cases.....then they make CHICKEN CRAP PLEA DEALS to close the case. And the rest they prosecute.....this is how they have such a good conviction rate.....

Can I get a big AMEN!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AMEN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL that was a good one :D

04-20-2007, 10:49 AM
"Been there done that" must be the expert on this and many other posts. How can a two year rookie know so much?

Are you a hero in your own mind?

Been There, Done That
04-22-2007, 12:02 AM
[quote="Anonymous"]"Been there done that" must be the expert on this and many other posts. How can a two year rookie know so much?

Are you a hero in your own mind?

To use an old saying that was probably created LONG before my time........"I got more time at the GAS PUMPS, than you have on the road......."

05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Sure-up your cases

Been There, Done That
05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Sure-up your cases

HAHAHAHHAHAHA... :lol: Well, I guess I have been "ADVISED" ! ! ! :roll: :lol:

05-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Sure-up your cases
your right no every case that is brought to you guys is perfect. But instead of no filing it right away, call the D/S and advise him/her on how to fix it. I understand you have a stack of cases, but guess what thats why you work for the S/A's office and crime isn't going away. We get stacks of reports every day also. I guess next time a S/A tries to file a crime report at their house we should tell them were to busy. Fortunatley I became a D/S to help and assist the public not just screw them. so for all the S/A's that read this start working.

P.S. there are some S/A's that will go out of their way to help and do the job right.

05-06-2007, 06:49 PM
New SA in 1 year. Maybe then, cases will be prosecuted. D/S work so hard to make an arrest only to be dissed by no files and nolle prossed. Let's not vote any BK cronies in next. :lol:

05-06-2007, 09:39 PM
New SA in 1 year. Maybe then, cases will be prosecuted. D/S work so hard to make an arrest only to be dissed by no files and nolle prossed. Let's not vote any BK cronies in next. :lol:

Unfortunately, King Barry will be here until HE decides to leave. Rumor has it this is his last term, and he is getting a job with PBSO.
I dont know how it is done, or what it takes, but i have heard the reason so many prosecutable cases get dumped is because the SAO just doesnt have the legal eagles to take them to trial, and not enough Judges to hear the cases. It would be nice to get up to speed so we can get our cases IN COURT where they belong. Even the bad guys know they cant beat the ride, but the rap is easy to beat.

05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I'll tell you this much, I am sick and tired of completing the 800 forms and jumping through all the hoops we have to with the 31D cases only to have to victim "change her mind" and the SAO drop the case. Whatever happened to "we will prosecute all Domestic Violence cases regardless of victim cooperation!"???????
I don't know who I am more irritated with, the SAO for dropping the cases or the "victims".
I know this is politically incorrect and every women's group in the country would hang me (I am a woman by the way) for saying this, but at what point do the victims take responsibiluty for themselves?
It sems to me that LAW ENFORCEMENT ARE THE ONLY ONES FULFILLING THEIR RESPONSIBLITIES! And in fact we have created extra steps to insure the victim's safety only to have them "change their minds" and the SAO drop the case.

Really I just needed to vent, thank you all for listeneing!

05-08-2007, 02:49 AM
I'll tell you this much, I am sick and tired of completing the 800 forms and jumping through all the hoops we have to with the 31D cases only to have to victim "change her mind" and the SAO drop the case. Whatever happened to "we will prosecute all Domestic Violence cases regardless of victim cooperation!"???????
I don't know who I am more irritated with, the SAO for dropping the cases or the "victims".
I know this is politically incorrect and every women's group in the country would hang me (I am a woman by the way) for saying this, but at what point do the victims take responsibiluty for themselves?
It sems to me that LAW ENFORCEMENT ARE THE ONLY ONES FULFILLING THEIR RESPONSIBLITIES! And in fact we have created extra steps to insure the victim's safety only to have them "change their minds" and the SAO drop the case.
Really I just needed to vent, thank you all for listeneing!

Maybe if the SAO could get sued for OT doing its job, they would snap to attention and actually get a few "LITIGATORS" rather than Legal Eagles who know less about the law that our cadets.

05-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Even if your case gets filed Judges will throw it out anyway! I just was involved in a good CCF on a 10-62 juvie who admitted to me that the gun was his. I submitted my supplement saying just that. Now the SAO wants me to provide a sworn notarized statement from me! Since when is a police report not good enough? The SAO hopes you won't provide them with all the excess **** they request so when they drop the case they can say it's your fault!

Been There, Done That
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Even if your case gets filed Judges will throw it out anyway! I just was involved in a good CCF on a 10-62 juvie who admitted to me that the gun was his. I submitted my supplement saying just that. Now the SAO wants me to provide a sworn notarized statement from me! Since when is a police report not good enough? The SAO hopes you won't provide them with all the excess they request so when they drop the case they can say it's your fault!

How is this SA....Sounds like "Good Old Boy" .....any way, if thats what they want, by all means, GIVE IT TO THEM ! ! THis kid needs to be off the streets before he kills someone. I have to agree though....now WE have to submit signed, notarized affidavits IN ADDITION TO our police reports??? Isnt that SPECIAL??? I wonder how the ASA justifies this request? I sure as hell would take offense to sucha request, but I would DO IT just to keep my case moving.

05-11-2007, 03:13 AM
And just WHY are there so many cases that the Sate Attorney can't keep up with them? Because they take a criminal that just commited a serious felony, give them time served in his overnight jail stay, and let them back out. There is NO INCENTIVE in our county not to commit crime. These people just keep getting arrested time and time again and some panty-waist judge gives them some meaningless sentance after they've been found guilty.

It there were no air conditioning in the jails; cable TV restricted to the Court TV channel, real work to be done... there would be a lot less crime. There is an Arizona sheriff who runs a tent city; it's tough and hard... yet he's only got a 6 percent repeat offender rate. In this county, it's probably about 90 percent repeat offender. I arrested a guy one day for DUS HAbitual and fleeing... three days later, I saw him driving again and arrested him for DUS HAbitual. The very next week, I saw the guy driving yet again and caught him with a bunch of crack... I'm waiting to see if he goes driving by me next week.

My point is, if jail is trivial and is made so it is nothing to worry about, then it will be nothing to worry about to these criminals.

05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk....so don't take this the wrong way...If "all" of your cases are being no filed maybe the problem is not with the S/A's office...and again I'm being serious...a lot of the time officer's put together poorly written PC affidavits...and that is generally all the S/A has to work with...sometimes all the elements of the crimes are not even in the PC's and that is a real problem...and also you should try calling the state attorney on your cases that you want filed...not always but sometimes if you make the call to them they will reconsider and I have personally had them file a case they were originally going to no file because of the call I made...however be prepared they are probably going to ask for some kind of additional information like another statement or something we think is stupid but they want it for some reason or another...and don't think that I don't agree that they no file some cases that should be filed I'm just tryiing to constructively help...

When I was an FTO, I was always amazed at the lack of clarity, spelling, essential requirements of FSS that were left out in PC affadavits and yet they wondered why I made them rewrite the PC's. Then they go out on their own, know everything, put together cases, bad arrests and still they are shocked when they are no filed. Bashing ANY OTHER prosecutor who gets YOUR WORK PRODUCT, especially when it is poorly conveyed in writing, for not filing the case or taking it to trial is absurd. Plea deals are and will always be a part of the system. It saves $$$$ in the long run, it takes the offender off the street or places some type of control on them. Bashing the SAO is childish. Something that seems to be prevalent here.

05-31-2007, 07:04 PM
So you USED to be an FTO ? Well if the report and PC's are bad, how do you "pass" the trainees into the next phase?? YOU signed the paper work dude. Its seems they should be recyced if its not up to par......and your post reads like it all OUR fault that so many cases get no filed and plea deals are made.....You can have a GREAT case with a confesion and that junk goes on.....so if you used to be an FTO, who do you work for now???? Sounds like the Public Defenders Office.

05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
So you USED to be an FTO huh???? Well if the report and PC's are bad, how do you "pass" the trainees into the next phase?? YOU signed the paper work dude. Its seems they should be recycled if its not up to par......and your post reads like it all OUR fault that so many cases get no filed plea deals are made.....You can have a GREAT case with a confession and that junk goes on.....so if you used to be an FTO, who do you work for now???? SOunds like the Public Defenders Office.

You have to be kidding. You just proved the point that the prior poster was making. If your post is any indication of the pride you take in your work, you should not be surprised that your cases are dumped. What is really scary is beyond the obvious fact that you have no writing skills whatsoever, your comprehension skills are also lacking. The other FTO stated that he made the trainee redo the report if it was not acceptable. I believe the point he was trying to get across was the fact that once these trainees are released, they revert back to a different standard than the one that they were held to in training. As a Detective, I have the occassion to review many reports submitted by road deputies. You would be amazed at the garbage that comes across my desk, then again, you would probably think that they were literary masterpieces. As for the SAO "No-Filing" cases or coming up with plea bargins that do not meet with your approval, that's just too bad for you. You obviously have no comprehension as to how the judicial system works or are fairly new to law enforcement. If you are a veteran, please don't ever try and help new deputies understand the way things are. You will only poison them. Best of luck to you in your career aspirations. That may be a big word for you...you might want to look it up.

06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
So you USED to be an FTO huh???? Well if the reporta and PC's are bad, how do you "pass" the trainees into the next phase?? YOU signed the pperework dude. Its seems they should be recyced if its not up to par......and your psot reads like it all OUR fault that so many cases get no filed anchicken-crap plea deals are made.....You can have a GREAT case witha confesion and that junk goes on.....so if you used to be an FTO, who do you work for now???? SOunds like the Public Defenders Office.

As an FTO I've been ignoring this statement, but it's killing me. Who ever you are...please don't attempt to make someone else look bad. Your typing skills are the worst i've ever seen! You have some serious issues. I would be embarrassed to be you.
Now, buisness is business. You get a (2) for FTO Relationship, a (1) for Decision Making, and a (1) for Report Writing-Neatness/Spelling/Grammar.
You are hearby extended another week.

06-01-2007, 12:55 PM
So you USED to be an FTO ? Well if the reporta and PC's are bad, how do you "pass" the trainees into the next phase?? YOU signed the pperework dude. Its seems they should be recyced if its not up to par......and your psot reads like it all OUR fault that so many cases get no filed and plea deals are made.....You can have a GREAT case with a confession and that junk goes on.....so if you used to be an FTO, who do you work for now???? SOunds like the Public Defenders Office.

How the did YOU get out of FTO? I didnt PASS anyone, but that is not the point now is it? Since we all KNOW that there are those who are annointed and PASS despite the FACT that they have no people skills, no writing skills and no LAW ENFORCEMENT SKILLS. It is YOUR fault that bad cases get no filed. If it were a GOOD CASE, then they couldnt dump it like garbage now could they? Now, the issue may be the difference between what you THINK is a good case as opposed to what they KNOW is a garbage case, perception is reality, for you and for them. Their reality is the one that counts. I would suggest that YOU improve YOUR work product and stop whining like some five year old who needs a nap and enforce the laws properly, document what you have done, why you did it and why you believe that PC exists for the arrest and subsequent prosecution of the individual that YOU arrested. That would be an excellent place to begin. Since I was an FTO for more than 5 years, since I was a DETECTIVE for more than 8 years and since I had to READ the GARBAGE reports and pathetic PCs from some (a minority to be sure) of the people I worked with, I KNOW for a FACT that poor cases get jettisoned because of POOR WORK PRODUCT. In 23 years, I think I had 3 no filed, and yes, they WERE my FAULT. Missing elements, failure to document them, insuffiecient witnesses etc. As long as your letter says that you had PC for the arrest, then YOU are covered. I NEVER lost a Homicide Case, ever, because I learned HOW to do it throughly and correctly. You should do the same

06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Dont hate us because Wackenhut wont take you

06-03-2007, 06:03 AM
So you USED to be an FTO huh???? Well if the reporta and PC's are bad, how do you "pass" the trainees into the next phase?? YOU signed the pperework dude. Its seems they should be recycled if its not up to par......and your post reads like it all OUR fault that so many cases get no filed plea deals are made.....You can have a GREAT case with a confession and that junk goes on.....so if you used to be an FTO, who do you work for now???? Sounds like the Public Defenders Office.

How the heck did YOU get out of FTO? I didnt PASS anyone, but that is not the point now is it? Since we all KNOW that there are those who are annointed and PASS despite the FACT that they have no people skills, no writing skills and no LAW ENFORCEMENT SKILLS. It is YOUR fault that bad cases get no filed. If it were a GOOD CASE, then they couldnt dump it like garbage now could they? Now, the issue may be the difference between what you THINK is a good case as opposed to what they KNOW is a garbage case, perception is reality, for you and for them. Their reality is the one that counts. I would suggest that YOU improve YOUR work product and stop whining like some five year old who needs a darn nap and enforce the laws properly, document what you have done, why you did it and why you believe that PC exists for the arrest and subsequent prosecution of the individual that YOU arrested. That would be an excellent place to begin. Since I was an FTO for more than 5 years, since I was a DETECTIVE for more than 8 years and since I had to READ the GARBAGE reports and pathetic PCs from some (a minority to be sure) of the people I worked with, I KNOW for a FACT that junk cases get jettisoned because of POOR WORK PRODUCT. In 23 years, I think I had 3 no filed, and yes, they WERE my FAULT. Missing elements, failure to document them, insuffiecient witnesses etc. As long as your letter says that you had PC for the arrest, then YOU are covered. I NEVER lost a Homicide Case, ever, because I learned HOW to do it throughly and correctly. You should do the same and stop all this crying. :lol:

(Loud Whislte Blowing) flag thrown down by the line ref. He is calling to see the instant replay.

There is no possible way that in 23 years of LE work you only had 3 cases no filed. Now I don't know you but I do know the S/A's office and I have been in LE for 12 years. So if you retired 13 years ago things may have been different, but I doubt it. I can't comment on your reports but I can comment on road patrol. As you know they are transcribed for us and yes steno make several grammatical errors and some times change your sentences around for you, with asking. So don't ASSUME it is the D/S who misspelled a word. Because when you assume you make an **** out of u and me. Just so you know alot of cases get nofiled becouse the S/A is lazy and takes the easy way out. And yes before you say it there are some lazy D/S who do submit half way paper work. All we are saying is if the majority of D/S work hard to get the information for the arrest and if there is a proplem then to contact that D/S to correct it before they dump it in the garbage and move on to the next one.

06-03-2007, 11:01 PM
The SA's office only takes a predetermined certain number of cases....Anyting else over and above that has to be dumped....SOOOO, they will dump a case for ANY stupid reason thay can come up with. Unless of course you are the GRAND, HIGH, EXHAULTED, MAGNIFICENT, MAJESTIC, **** Then they KNOW better ! !

06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I hear that some district captains now are requiring that you submit a memo explaining to them why a case was no filed or pross. Is this the start of paper trails for the D/S?