PDA

View Full Version : Contract Negotiations 4/13/07

04-14-2007, 12:40 PM
On Friday, 4/13/07, myself, Steve Rasor, Dave Kinsey, Cassidy Perry and John Hicks met with John Moore, Lisa Hedrickson and Sandy Forseth for the second negotiating session. I was not present at the first session but wanted to give everyone who reads this an update.

John Moore opened up the session by talking about the article in the Beach Beacon and suggested that the City might be faced with the possibility of laying off employees once the legislature decides how tax consequences will impact the City. Obviously this is very premature since no one knows how possible tax cuts will impact the City. It was clear that after that presentation, no items that financially impact either side were discussed. With the legislature making a decision in the near future, it was decided that the next meeting will be May 9th at 1:00pm in the second floor conference room of City Hall.

However, some items that were previously proposed by us were discussed. First, the clothing allowance. Mr. Moore indicated that the City was no longer interested in providing the $600.00 clothing allowance for positions requiring plain clothes. We had proposed an increase to the clothing allowance, however, as indicated, the City is no longer interested in providing this benefit. Second, the City said that they were going to re-examine the college tuition incentive program, with a possibility of it not being continued in the future. Third, the City proposed to eliminate your right to file a contractual grievance along with a lawsuit involving discrimination. Meaning, if you select to grieve a discrimination violation, you waive your right to filing a lawsuit in the future. Obviously, we rejected that proposal.

We also tentatively agreed to several articles that were not contested by each side. These articles are ones that are standard language for all contracts and have no impact of any issues of significance.

Mr. Moore also indicated that the City is having a pension valuation completed and there might be the possibility of enhancements once the final audit is completed. Until the know the figures we are dealing with, we will not know what types of enhancements are possible. We should have the information in the near future.

Other than some other minor points, that pretty much summed up the session.

If you do respond to this post, I would ask that you keep your comments professional. Remember, this is negotiations and nothing is written in stone yet. However, your input is greatly appreciated and your attendance is welcome at the negotiating sessions. I invite everyone to come on 5/9.

04-14-2007, 01:55 PM
where are the meetings held and what time?

04-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Thank You, Ken. Sometimes we are not always informed as weshould be. Youtendto hear rumors and then they fester and cause problems. I hope the city realises what a valuable resource they have in their Police Department.