PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

04-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Just curious. I am a jailer in pinellas county but live in citrus. I was recently at a C.C. Riders function (Easter sunday) and a particular Sgt. came to scope out the party. yes i understand why and im not here to argue that point . but he did drive down a private road by the clubhouse and stated to a couple of club members (through his closed cruiser windows) that all the cars were illegaly parked. One of the club members asked to speak with the Sgt. but the Sgt. stated that his windows were broken and then he drove off. Now i could see if he had something important to do and didnt have time to speak with the club member but all he diud was park his cruiser at the stop sign and followed people who left on bikes (including me). once again i understand the "stake out" but if your window doesnt work, why wouldnt he just open the door or step out of his vehicle. This would go a long way towards positive interactions with the sheriff's office.

04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Illegally parked on a private road??? Hmmmmmmm .. me thinks the Sgt had better things to do ... like getting his windows fixed on his unit so he could roll the d***ed things down! LOL

Fla Deputy

04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Just curious. I am a jailer in pinellas county but live in citrus. I was recently at a C.C. Riders function (Easter sunday) and a particular Sgt. came to scope out the party. yes i understand why and im not here to argue that point . but he did drive down a private road by the clubhouse and stated to a couple of club members (through his closed cruiser windows) that all the cars were illegaly parked. One of the club members asked to speak with the Sgt. but the Sgt. stated that his windows were broken and then he drove off. Now i could see if he had something important to do and didnt have time to speak with the club member but all he diud was park his cruiser at the stop sign and followed people who left on bikes (including me). once again i understand the "stake out" but if your window doesnt work, why wouldnt he just open the door or step out of his vehicle. This would go a long way towards positive interactions with the sheriff's office.

Which side of the county where you on East or West of 491? Did this Sgt have a mustache?

04-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Dont remember whetrher he had a mustache or not but several of the people there knew his name. Also not sure where 491 is, i only been here about a year and mostly just know my way to Dunnellon and the Parkway. Just tha i work with inmates and i know you dont have to approve of wh they are but a little respect (the club members are citizens after all) could go along way in preventing problems in the future and also to receiving cooperation from them if ever there is an "official" contact with them. Just really couldnt believe that a LEO, let alon a Sgt. would not exit his vehicle (if his window was truly broken) and initiate a citizen contact. There was nothing illegal going on, and if the Sgt. felt there was i know back up is only a radio call away (officer safety is and should be number 1 at all times). also just blowing off some steam due to the fact that there has been times when a deputy has told people on our street that we cant ride our 4-wheelers on our private road and actually told someone to push his home or off the street. once again i respect LEO's and there jobs but there are more important things to do.

05-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Dont remember whetrher he had a mustache or not but several of the people there knew his name. Also not sure where 491 is, i only been here about a year and mostly just know my way to Dunnellon and the Parkway. Just tha i work with inmates and i know you dont have to approve of wh they are but a little respect (the club members are citizens after all) could go along way in preventing problems in the future and also to receiving cooperation from them if ever there is an "official" contact with them. Just really couldnt believe that a LEO, let alon a Sgt. would not exit his vehicle (if his window was truly broken) and initiate a citizen contact. There was nothing illegal going on, and if the Sgt. felt there was i know back up is only a radio call away (officer safety is and should be number 1 at all times). also just blowing off some steam due to the fact that there has been times when a deputy has told people on our street that we cant ride our 4-wheelers on our private road and actually told someone to push his home or off the street. once again i respect LEO's and there jobs but there are more important things to do.

I agree and my opinion is a lack of true experience on the job. I personally witnessed what your describing on several occassions. In this line of work it's known as Human Diversity. Here in Citrus there is a major lack of it due to the County density or population. Readers digest #'s are 80% redneck or Good Ol Boys. Reality is 80 to 90% white 5% black and 5% other. And thats for all 130k or so perminent residents. Even Jeff himself has no real PR skills, case and point is his image he purtrays amongst the citizens and troops. I tried to arrange a one on one meeting with the guy according to his so called open door policy and he wouldn't even give me the courtsey in person or by phone. There is proof over the past years attrition rate they cant recruit experienced officers and keep them because of there backwoods mentality. Look at the recent Couey trial for example; one of the lead Detectives blows a simple Constitutional right during the interview process. These guys dont handle very many high profile cases so its ok to do what they want to get results. Luckily other evidence compiled helped to get a solid conviction but the confession was tossed based on a simple rights violation because these guys think things are done differently here.

I was actually reprimanded for doing my job one night involving a drunk beligerant female. The short version is I handcuffed her for Officer Safety till back-up got on scene. She was or had been driving prior to contact with her. She tossed the keys and hopped into the passenger seat. During questioning for her Identification I saw open containers of beer and she kept reaching under seat after being told to stop moving around. She was asked to get out and made a comment "what do you think I'm gonna do? kick your a$$...cuffs went on. Once back-up arrived she was more cooperative in answering questions and was released after documenting our contact on a report. Days later she calls in a phone complaint like most citizens do but instead of squashing it they investigated it further about 5 weeks later they're wanting me to answer questions about the night in question. During my interview I noticed a reprimand pre-filled out awaiting a signature in regards to there questioning. Apparently they had spoken to everyone but me like an internal affairs investigation which it wasn't and were looking for me to verify there findings. But my explanation was one of morals, ethics and professionalism. I recited case law, policy which allowed me to conduct myself in the fashion I did. They were confused and uncertain of the discipline to be handed down because of my responses and excused me from the room till they could refer to counsel. Who did they refer to? the State Atty himself who agreed with them (of course) that I had violated a citizens rights by hancuffing her and NOT arresting her. This is truely Mayberry because of that remark from an atty who has no authority to arrest they pushed forward with the reprimand a week later. There own policy had it in writing for officer safety discretion a sworn employee may cuff when necessary. It doesn't matter here in Citrus because of no collective bargaining or union in place its there way or the highway..... Officers have no grievance procedures here in place which backs up whatever they do as the final word. Look at he schedule they work every 28 days the flip-flop from days to nights???how assinign is that?? I can't name another agency in all 67 counties or other cities that would even consider a Mickey mouse schedule like that. And the troops are like puppets here in fear of grieving it or pushing for other schedule options. Jeff has his own little resigme.

Well that should give you a general idea of the Sgt. mentality you dealt with. A puppet confused about saying "hello" or mind his own business and keep driving by.......

And window not working could be legit since some Crown Vic here are as old as 2000-2001 with 100k plus but the Sgt should had an 05 or newer cause they are guaranteed that little perk of having new cars but NO window tint like the rest of patrol another stupid Jeff rule of thumb he won't overlook beacuse of his puppet regime.

Enough of my pedastal for the evening

Couch
05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I worked for Jeff when he was a Patrol LT. back in the day.... I will guarantee you that his rule is miles better than that idiot Charlie Dean who was sheriff. I guess it's still the same ol' bunch of bozo's running the place anyway..... Its been 16 years since I was there and B.W. can still pucker up and kiss my a$$. They fired me for BS reasons and actually had me black balled for a while...I just retired from Pinellas County SO, so that goes to show you that what the CCSO administration has to say doesn't really matter in the real world anyway! How can you all work in an environment where you are in fear for your jobs?

crimefighter
01-01-2008, 06:41 PM
I worked for Jeff when he was a Patrol LT. back in the day.... I will guarantee you that his rule is miles better than that idiot Charlie Dean who was sheriff. I guess it's still the same ol' bunch of bozo's running the place anyway..... Its been 16 years since I was there and B.W. can still pucker up and kiss my a$$. They fired me for BS reasons and actually had me black balled for a while...I just retired from Pinellas County SO, so that goes to show you that what the CCSO administration has to say doesn't really matter in the real world anyway! How can you all work in an environment where you are in fear for your jobs?

Hey brother, nothing has changed which you can imagine by your excellant feedback to the tee.....

Only difference is Jeff has p/u where Charlie left off regarding disciplinary issues....SOP actually shows progressive discipline with verbal reprimands but the verbage had been unhighlighted as NOT in use. Otherwords they can skip it all together and go straight to counseling as in written right to your personal jacket w/o VERBAL as a step. Since thats the case WHY in the world would SOP indicate its practiced when its NOT??????????

Officer Bill of Rights aren't recognized at all and definetly weren't when you were here. PERC would have a field day with this place if everyone actually filed a complaint.

Vampire Slayer Two
10-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Well to say the least I was shocked saddened and just plain livid. I found out the Florida PBA endorsed Dawsy in the citrus sheriff race. I could not believe a police union that is supposed to be in the business of protecting our law enforcement officers could do such a terrible thing. This has got to be the biggest slap in the face to every decent and hard working dues paying officer in the state of Florida by their own union. I had to try to find out why, how could this have happened? After some research I believe I have this answer. Even though Dawsy will not allow the deputies to join a union for bargaining and basic employee rights, he will allow PBA membership dues to be deducted from the deputies pay! So you can be a PBA member in name only. So it seems here that the PBA is happy with this arrangement since they are assured to get their money every month. I for one am very disappointed in the Florida PBA. :(