PDA

View Full Version : UWF Police question?

04-10-2007, 10:00 PM
I know this is the wrong forum for questions related to the UWF Police, but none dedicated to their department exists. I've heard they will soon be hiring. What do you guys think of that department? Once again, I apologize for posting this here. Thanks!

04-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Didn't know there was any police officers at UWF. Their last Chief tried to restructure rookie school and screwed the pooch on that. If you want a security job, great place. If you want to be a cop, try PPD or ECSO. There is just more parking complaints than actual law enforcement at UWF, but the pay is great. Depends on what you want.

04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Didn't know there was any police officers at UWF.

I think they have about 20 officers.

04-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Correct on the security officer comment...too political, no real law enforcement, maybe one arrest per officer per year. In the mean time, you have to pray you dont run accross the wrong student whos dad is a donor to the college and you end u pgetting fired...then no real police agency wants to hire you because you couldnt even keep your job at a college.

04-12-2007, 01:34 AM
For me, this would be a "post career" type of job.

04-12-2007, 02:43 AM
Although I agree that University policing isn't the same enforcement that you would experience working at a PD or SO, its a foot in the door. You'll make contacts that could get you into another department if that's what you're aiming for. If you prefer the more laid back college setting, go for it if that's what you want to do.

I'd suggest calling the University Police Department if that's where you want to work. They should be able to steer you in the right direction to apply.

Contrary to all the macho "security guard" and "retirement job" comments here, the pay used to be great and you're in the state retirement system. Not a bad place work if that's your goal. Not a bad place to get some experience if you want to go somewhere else.