PDA

View Full Version : SLOWLY BUT SURELY

04-07-2007, 07:16 PM
At this time where everybody wants to belly ache about what we don't have, let's take a minute to give kudos to the Chief and EAB about the things coming to pass as of late. Just like we get tired of complaints, gripes and moans on the street about us, I'm sure the Chief get tired of it too from us. Let's acknowledge the little victories Even though they are small and insignificant to some, they are still victories. Hopefully they will result in what we all want come October. Remember change does come but it doesn't happen over night. Whatever the circumstances were to get this point, don't really matter anymore. They are past events. We just need to focus on remaining a team and going home at the end of the day. The other things are being addressed, we just have to continue to be patient. There are lot of agencies that have it much worse than us. Look at the posts for Zephyr Hills P.D. Most of us had the opportunity to research your choices when you put your applications in. We had the opportunity to say no when the Chief offered you a job. So that must mean it wasn't all about the money. Somewhere in there it must have meant this is where we wanted to work. So I don't think we should bad mouth the agency and the man who hired us

04-07-2007, 08:13 PM
It is hard not to bellyache when things have been allowed to get as bad as they have. As you said, kudos to the EAB, but I wouldn't extend them to the Chief.
He has been in office over 10 years, the situation we have did not develop yesterday. He has been advised over the years about current issues, likes, and dislikes. I have sat in meetings with him where he was advised of these issues. His response was either "I'll look into it" or more often dismissive.
It has been brought up on a number of occasions that we need more officers, not just on the street but in most sections. In 10 years, the city has grown quite a bit, how many positions for officers have we had added. We are currently down approx 10 officers counting the recent hirings and possible hirings. If our department had say, 100 officer positions, 10 empty slots wouldn't hurt near as much as when you have 75 officer positions.
For years, officers have wanted small things such as ball caps, why did it take a crisis to get them approved. Morale and retention is not going to improve around here until Chief makes a very strong effort to improve it. I know I'm not the only one Chief walks by and doesn't say anything when I say hi.
When take home pay and benefits improve to the point I don't have to work off duty jobs just to get by every week (it isn't like I'm living it up), there are enough officers to cover all of the zones and rovers (like we once had) so I have time to conduct traffic stops and be proactive, and promotions and specialty positions are based on merit, experience, and seniority instead of favoritism and "newness factor-1 year or less of LEO experience" then we will attract and retain more quality officers then we could ever use. As it is, we have returned to a status we once had many years ago. A training agency for other departments. We train the officers and send them to another department.
As for hoping for improvements in October, I have heard that every year. I really enjoyed my raise last year. It raised my standard of living tremendously. I hope you enjoyed yours as well. Over the past 10 years, we have had way more disappointing budgets than ones we liked. What happens next if you don't get what you want this time? Are you going to post another "wait until next October'?
As for comparing agencies, I was off duty near some deputies griping about their agency. One stated "it could be worse, we could be working for Plant City". I though seriously about identifying myself and defending our agency. I didn't though, it is hard to argue against a fact.

04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
We are no more a training agency for other departments today than we have ever been. No agency in this area can compare to TPD's pay. As long as they are hiring we will always lose a few people to them.

The problem (if you really think about it) is that we have not been making an effort to replace the officers that we lost over the past couple years. That has changed!!!!! It is amazing that when you call applicants back and get them in the hiring process that you can actually hire people. I believe you will really start to see a difference in the next few months as far as hiring goes.

I know the reason that I applied at PCPD and have stayed at PCPD is because of the people. I like working where I know everyone and everyone knows me and there is a feeling of "family". We are family and we need to watch out for each other. I have not ever meant to give anyone the impression that I think this place is perfect and that Oct. 1st is going to be some miracle day when suddenly we get a huge raise and no one ever has to work signal 15 again. I dont know what October 1st will bring. I only hope that its great news for all of us. If not, then we can decide what needs to be done at that time.

THIS COMMENT IS SPECIFICALLY TO SENIOR LEO - if things have been so bad here for so long and you have been so unhappy with your pay and benefits - WHY HAVE YOU STAYED SO LONG?????

07-27-2007, 04:30 PM
we stay in belief that things will change in the october to follow and when the change does not happen it seems that another year wasted towards retirement.then we the seniors are stuck.

07-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Polk, You have not worked on the street in a long time. Patrol officers is the heart of the agency. You don't understand how it is to run call to call.

You have been in the back since, year two of your employment. You have people standing right behind you at all times.

Patrol officer's need better back up. Until, Plant City losses an officer to death. McDaniel's feels we are just numbers to him. He don't have to answer to our children or family's. He has all the toys. He comes in and does his time . He don't now or every will care for the officers of Plant City. Its just a job to him. If he did he would say hello to his officer's. We give him the repect of a kind "hello". What kinda family is really at Plant City.

McDaniel didn't even to go Matt William's day of rest. Every other agencies brass was there. Our chief had a stomach problem or was it his unform didn't fit.....

Some want to leave Plant City but has claim bank-rup. They can't leave now..........Don't let him blow smoke. The changes will start when we have new brass at the top. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

07-30-2007, 10:05 PM
If you think just because I have not worked patrol in years that I do not understand --- You are WRONG!!
First of all, thats why I wanted the temporary recruiter position. So we could fill the vacancies and get more people out on the street to help patrol. Because you are right about one thing - patrol is the backbone of the agency - the agency would not exist without patrol. Patrol should be the number one priority.
Secondly, I am apparently a lot smarter than you give me credit for because while you may think someone has blown smoke up my a**, I can assure you that is not the case. I speak my mind at each and every opportunity, sometimes when it would actually be better for me personally to just shut up. Trust me when I say that I have been on our side (because I am still one of you!!!)

08-18-2007, 04:27 PM
keep blowing smoke Polk... if we need to have good advice we will seek our mothers. wake up...it is bad... will stay bad... Family you say..hummmm..Let;s have a family reunion... :!: :!: :!:

08-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Guest, whoever you are, you must not know me or have ever spoken to me about my opinions on any subject. I never said it wasn't bad, what I always said was lets do what we can to make it better. Guess what - people like you have made me sick of trying!!!!!!! Do it on your own.

08-22-2007, 02:18 AM
Polk...don't let the one or two officers (and I use that title only because they have a badge, not that they deserve one) that continue to gripe about how bad things are convince you to stop attempting to make things better. We do have areas that we can improve on...but show me any department that is perfect. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...what we need to do is pluck the couple of weeds (aka the previously mentioned "officers") growing in our grass and throw them over the fence. We can only continue to try to make this department the best that it possibly can be. I for one can tell you this department is light years ahead of where it was when Surrency was here and I appreciate your efforts to make it even better.

08-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Polk...don't let the one or two officers (and I use that title only because they have a badge, not that they deserve one) that continue to gripe about how bad things are convince you to stop attempting to make things better. We do have areas that we can improve on...but show me any department that is perfect. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...what we need to do is pluck the couple of weeds (aka the previously mentioned "officers") growing in our grass and throw them over the fence. We can only continue to try to make this department the best that it possibly can be. I for one can tell you this department is light years ahead of where it was when Surrency was here and I appreciate your efforts to make it even better.
I AGREE TOTALLY WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT OF THE DEPT....The younger officer's ( or as I should put it SEASONED OFFICERS of less than 2 yrs. ) continue to gripe about the dept. These officers have no idea what it was like to work for the former Chief or a Capt. who would make you re-write an accident report for a misp.word or the diagram had an erasure mark on it or a Sgt. who always had to show who was boss. That regime is over and WE need to move forward on a positive note. Let's start weeding out the problems....let's help them get to HCSO, TAMPA , POLK....ect.

08-23-2007, 12:08 PM
i agree with most of what has been said here but forget about past chiefs etc. as far as a Sgt. who has to show he is boss being over and done with you are mistaken we still have one that thinks he has to show he is boss. Maybe before or when we promote those officers need to go to management class and how to properly supervise without being overbearing thinking I'm the boss that's why mentality. A person of higher rank (Capt.) sems to fit this profile also as he seems to have forgotten how he was when he was a Lt.

08-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Can anyone please tell me if Detective Polk is still in recruiting or who is that can be contacted please.

08-23-2007, 09:59 PM
If you're not "afraid to speak up" who are you talking about?

08-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Detective Polk is now back on a Patrol Rotation; contect Officer Pfister for any recruiting needs you might have

08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
no names but think of lane and vanduyne

08-26-2007, 05:48 PM
To " not afraid to speak up" what posesses you to call out the rank and file of the dept by name on the post??? It's easy to talk smack behind a post when you can hide behind it. Sounds like you have been just released from the F.T.O. program or just a plain " ROOKIE " that has less than 2 yrs. on the streets and was passed over on the Sgt.'s test or didn't make the cut in the DET.'S office....whichever it maybe I hope you Rookie " up and call the names you have mentioned!!!! Don't just sit behind a post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Calm down.... you're gonna give yourself a heart attack and you don't even work here anymore. let the man/woman have their opinion.

08-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Calm down.... you're gonna give yourself a heart attack and you don't even work here anymore. let the man/woman have their opinion.
I agree with the opinion but why call out Staff (names ) on the site??? To former PCPD OFFICER you hit it on the head with a few disgruntled officers!!!

08-27-2007, 02:18 AM
I agree with the opinion but why call out Staff (names ) on the site??? To former PCPD OFFICER you hit it on the head with a few disgruntled officers!!!

08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
because they are unfortunately inept

09-02-2007, 12:50 AM
gosh polk..i see u have gotten mathis to cooperate on your side ....how nice.... how about the rest...it will always be bad...look at yourself as a good example. :wink:

09-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I am not going to address the statement made about me. I will say that if you have a problem with me, instead of posting it to a board where nothing can be done to rectify the situation, I'd rather that you come and see me. I have an open door policy and your issue(s) will receive the attention that is due. Furthermore, if you feel I am the problem, you can request the Lieutenant be present to lend his knowledge and expertise in coming up with the solution.

09-06-2007, 02:11 AM
did they bring a LT in from the outside? There are no Lt's there capable of carrying that conversation.

09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
SO LETS MAKE IT TWO AGAINST ONE.....YEAH ILL FALL FOR THAT TRICK...
NO THANKS I'VE READ THAT BOOK BEFORE.

09-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Polk, You have not worked on the street in a long time. Patrol officers is the heart of the agency. You don't understand how it is to run call to call.

You have been in the back since, year two of your employment. You have people standing right behind you at all times.

Patrol officer's need better back up. Until, Plant City losses an officer to death. McDaniel's feels we are just numbers to him. He don't have to answer to our children or family's. He has all the toys. He comes in and does his time . He don't now or every will care for the officers of Plant City. Its just a job to him. If he did he would say hello to his officer's. We give him the repect of a kind "hello". What kinda family is really at Plant City.

McDaniel didn't even to go Matt William's day of rest. Every other agencies brass was there. Our chief had a stomach problem or was it his unform didn't fit.....

Some want to leave Plant City but has claim bank-rup. They can't leave now..........Don't let him blow smoke. The changes will start when we have new brass at the top. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

"Patrol is the Heart?" Patrol is the backbone of the department if you are a true enforcer of the law. There are very few peoeple here that really understand what running call to call is all about. Yes, we get very busy at times. But is that not what you got into to this job for? Or, maybe, you came from high school and your mama did everything for you. I raise my kids to work hard and my oldest works harder them most of you.

Lets come to work, on time, and just do the job that is assigned to you and this place will be just fine because it is just another job in this world. We some how need to be a team with or without everyone, because citizens could careless about your *****es.

Dale Peterson

Last time I will check this message board. Maybe more of you should check "Fallen Heros" just to the right of the message board to see if their family has any *****es.

09-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Wow way to degrade half the department ......nice coming from a sgt. Look around, the majority of our employees are from highschool...as are much of the local officers in the area. When it comes to the point where people should quit making complaints or assessing problems with the department just because they are not pre military or college educated....maybe I will give your "hard working children" a call to see if I can work for them. And if you make a statistical list....the majority of the ones calling in or showing up late are the old timers who could give a rats ass about the job, the back up, or the "backbone". The guys who are taking the additional duty due to lack of officers from the old guys calling in are the rookies....whens the last time you saw a 10 yr plus officer work extras shifts? I guess that 8-5 shift thing is nice for you...but don't get on here and start putting people down for being tardy and pointing at rookies....cause let me tell you...the rookies arent the problem. They are just trying to improve on the situation.

09-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow way to degrade half the department ......nice coming from a sgt. Look around, the majority of our employees are from highschool...as are much of the local officers in the area. When it comes to the point where people should quit making complaints or assessing problems with the department just because they are not pre military or college educated....maybe I will give your "hard working children" a call to see if I can work for them. And if you make a statistical list....the majority of the ones calling in or showing up late are the old timers who could give a rats ass about the job, the back up, or the "backbone". The guys who are taking the additional duty due to lack of officers from the old guys calling in are the rookies....whens the last time you saw a 10 yr plus officer work extras shifts? I guess that 8-5 shift thing is nice for you...but don't get on here and start putting people down for being tardy and pointing at rookies....cause let me tell you...the rookies arent the problem. They are just trying to improve on the situation.

The truth is the truth. Half the department? No. I come from high school with some college and four years of military. One thing I learned was hosesty and being open. Appartently you failed to read my message. Did I say anything about rookies??? Some rookies, some mid termers and some long timers. But from what I hear, this is evrywhere. 8-5? Nine years of shift work and some time with little sleep because of other department duties. From a sergeant? Maybe more people need to be more open. Come see me Mr. or Mrs. Guest.

Dale Peterson

P.S.

My children? I teach them not to be like you!!!!!!!!!!!! Hiding behind "Guest." Come see me if you are a true man/women. I am not trying to degrade anyone. Lets do are job and grow up.

09-17-2007, 08:37 PM
You think this is just another job??????? You guys put your lifes on the line daily, on top of being short handed. Then you have a Sgt. being honest. Dale Peterson well never change. He will not stand up for you when it really counts. He needs to listen to his own words. He is wrong, the community does care about you guys. He is the one that does not care about the fate of you guys. This is just a job to him . He collects his paycheck and goes home. He don't do anything extra either. When he was on night shift ,you couldn't find for several hours, because he was coaching his son baseball team. He was really showing his son how to work hard........... and beat the system. He has no room to say anything about being late or running call to call. He has never done either.

You guys need to stop stabbing each other in the back and become one. You guys are going to all have a heart attack from the stress of that department. You young guys stay together and don't let the Dale Peterson mess up your retirements. You guys will be there alott longer than he will.

09-18-2007, 11:16 PM
We will never solve any of our problems if all we do is b*tch each other out anonymously on LEO AFFAIRS. Earlier this year, everyone wanted the union - the first step in solving anything is UNITY. We all need to work with and for each other - including sgts. and lts. Be safe and be smart.

09-20-2007, 02:25 AM
We will never solve any of our problems if all we do is b*tch each other out anonymously on LEO AFFAIRS. Earlier this year, everyone wanted the union - the first step in solving anything is UNITY. We all need to work with and for each other - including sgts. and lts. Be safe and be smart.

Thank You for being a true person. Lt, Sgt, Ofc. does not mean nothing in the big picture. Just do your job you asked for and push for better things in a positive way.

09-20-2007, 02:26 AM

Thank You for being a true person. Lt, Sgt, Ofc. does not mean nothing in the big picture. Just do your job you asked for and push for better things in a positive way.

God Bless all of you.

09-21-2007, 07:39 PM

In response to the above comment: "...the majority of the ones calling in or showing up late are the old timers who could give a rats ass about the job, the back up or the "backbone." The guys who are taking the additional duty dure to lack of officers from the old guys calling in are the rookies...whens the last time you saw a 10 yr plus officer work extra shifts?"

129 never calls in unless he's broke something or dying, never shows up late - definitely knows and is all about the back up, works all the extra duty he can and he has 20+ yrs! Plus he can outrun most of you rookies! So there are SOME exceptions to the rule.

09-21-2007, 10:22 PM
there are not "some" exceptions to the rule. 129 is the only exception

09-21-2007, 10:42 PM
To those of you who continue to call others out on this site...I have only one thing to say...."KARMA" is wicked thing that will sneak up on you when you least expect it.

09-22-2007, 12:23 AM
mark, that one comment about your wife was completely uncalled for and rude, however most of the post agree you are a great officer and a great person. don't let that idiot get you down.

09-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Holstie is a good officer and knows his shit. I know this because I work with him. The fact that his wife is on this board at all and making such claims is absurd and she should know her place. If my wife made a post like that I think I would be a little fired up.

09-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I guess you don't know. We have adults (COPS), raising children, acting like children. No, I am sorry, below the children status. But I am suppose to call upon these people to teach me my new job? I will find my place.

09-23-2007, 03:12 AM
Holstie is a good officer and knows his shizzat. I know this because I work with him. The fact that his wife is on this board at all and making such claims is absurd and she should know her place. If my wife made a post like that I think I would be a little fired up.

I also am a PCPD's wife and read this site regularly, as do many other wives/husbands who's lives are directly affected by their significant other's job as a LEO! I don't feel she was "out of her place" at all by making a positive remark about her husband, who she is obviously proud of...I also know the Holste's personally and think they are both great people! I think you are an immature jerk from the stone age who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. And you obviously don't know Holste at all or you would know he wouldn't appreciate you disrespecting his wife this way and would probably stomp a mudhole in your rear if he knew who you were!

09-23-2007, 04:15 PM
IT'S REALLY A SHAME FOR SOMEONE TO TALK SMACK ABOUT 129'S WIFE WHO HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE POSTS. IF YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN ON THE SIGHT ABOUT THINGS GOING ON AT THE DEPT, THAT'S ONE THING BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO ATTACK SOMEONE'S FAMILY. I AS WELL SUPPORT 129 AND FEEL AS THOUGH THE ATTACK ON HIS WIFE IS UNJUSTIFIED. IN A TIME WHERE HALF THE OFFICERS HERE CALL IN SICK WHEN THEY HAVE .25 HOURS ON THE BOOK, THE LAST TIME 129 WAS OUT (ON VAC) WAS WHEN HIS WIFE WAS GIVING BIRTH!!! THE LAST TIME HE CALLED IN WAS WHEN HIS BABY WAS IN THE HOSPITAL WITH PNEUMONIA!!! CONSIDERING THAT HE TRAINED MOST OF YOU HERE FOR A PHASE OR MORE, YOU HAVE NO SENSE IF YOU TALK ABOUT HIM IN THAT WAY. TOO MANY PEOPLE WITHIN THIS DEPT THINK THEY ARE OWED SOMETHING BECAUSE THEY WORK HERE. EACH OF US FILLED OUT APPLICATIONS "IN HOPES" OF GETTING A JOB HERE, NO ONE TWISTED YOUR ARM TO AGREE TO TAKE IT. STOP BELLYACHING ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE OR DON'T HAVE. FOCUS ON YOUR JOBS AND THE REST WILL WORK OUT. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN FEEL FREE TO LEAVE (IF ANYONE WILL TAKE YOU) DON'T JUST AUTOMATICALLY THINK YOU CAN JUST GO TO TAMPA. THOSE THAT HAVE LEFT WERE GREAT OFFICERS WHO DIDN'T COMPLAIN, THEY DID THEIR JOB!!! THEY QUIETLY WENT ABOUT IT IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER, WHICH IS WHAT THE RECRUITERS LOOK FOR. THINGS HAPPEN IN THEIR DUE TIME, GUYS LIKE 129 AND OTHERS WHO HAVE BEEN HERE HAVE PAID THEIR DUES AND HAD TO GO THRU A LOT WORSE WHILE WORKING HERE.

09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Mark , Don't let this department get to you. Its not worth it, because you have done your time. Enjoy your wife and your baby. This department needs to find its place. The problem at this place is everyone want to be in everyone's business. Everyone here has thier closets full. We could open them for them if they keep talking smack. I don't their wife would like what they could read.......