PDA

View Full Version : Promotional Process

04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
WHO is the genius who put together our promotional process with little or no imput from the membership? Now it looks like we are back tracking and going to veto the testing procedure? What about guys like me who already purchased that new book and have been studying for weeks?

Time to start thinking about chopping the head off this SNAKE.

Dirty Harry
04-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Keep your comments with venom off this site! If you bought the books and the membership decides to request to keep the good ol boy system then the FOP will refund you your $106.00 relax. GO TO THE MEETING NEXT MONDAY AND KEEP YOUR COMMENTS OF NEGATIVITY OFF THIS SITE. Call your FOP President instead of talking s**t.

04-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I bought the book also......No big deal....Personally, I read the book and don't like it. I think it's too wordy and confusing. The message is decent though and maybe more supervisors should read it. The system in place was not perfect before, but the current system is not an improvement, therefore, should be voted down until a better system is agreed upon or a new Chief comes in an changes things. If there was a Good Ole Boy system before, the new system didn't change it, it simply eliminated good candidates. For those of us in a fog, thinking if they aced it, they would get promoted.....think again....There are a few people still around who barely passed it and are promoted. There are also some people in the 99 percentile who are well dressed detectives with no thanks given to them for there knowledge and are no closer to being promoted....with the hours we put in at this job and family time, I would rather not have to study for a test that ultimately will be decided on the Good Ole Boy system anyway.

04-07-2007, 06:46 PM
The new system is very flawed for a number of reasons. The old system was using back door deals and favoritism on some occasions. It is very obvious that this occurred to the majority of personnel or there wouldn't have been such an uproar to change the system.

More emphasis needs to be placed on the input of Sergeants and Lt.'s in the selection process as they know the talents and work products of their people. Somebody sitting in the Ivory Palace, who never sees you, shouldn't wield all that power without accountability. This mess is because of that lack of accountability on their part.

We have equipment committees, awards committees and so on so why don't we make a promotional committee to get input from people to address the best way to select candidates for promotion. This latest fix was made without the input of a lot of members and I'm glad they are re-visiting the issue.

To close, I think the Union Board attempted to fix a broken system the best and quickest way they could before signing off on the contract. Their intentions were to do the right thing. Unfortunately, the part of the system that is broke is letting Staff members wield too much power without being kept in check.

No matter what system we could come up with, tests, oral boards, career experience, education, Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah, as long as that Staff member doesn't get with the program and continues to be all over the map, this system or any system will remain flawed. I challenge Staff to show us the endorsements, education, experience and training on past promotions to convince us why the system isn't flawed and how they were fair to all. I'm pretty comfortable in saying they can't.

I'm sure this will upset some people including staff but it is an honest assessment of what a number of people feel. Use it as a teaching moment that Staff should form a promotional committee to distance themselves from the favoritism perception. Use the talents of your best people to make these important decisions and listen to them. As any good supervisor knows, you are only as good as the people around you.

When the majority of the employees are behind you than you are going in the right direction, when they aren't, you need to look in the mirror and realize the problem might be you or your policy.

Good Luck to All and Have Great Day !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

04-07-2007, 07:15 PM
That's the problem, the new FOP president (officers) shot his mouth off once again before THINKING or seeing the big picture. Just like he takes all the credit for negotiating our last contract. He did very little and will stand in the spot light, ask any board member or your state lodge rep. they know the truth.

04-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Dear Angry Brother –

I am sorry that you continue to use this forum to show your discontent for all the public to view. As far as the Promotional Process that was done with several of us who were also on contract negotiations and unfortunately there were several issues that were not conducive to our membership. We had asked that a vote be conducted by our membership several months ago, but that was denied as a result the process further disintegrated and a letter was sent on behalf of the Union across the street advising we could not endorse the process as it currently stands. Further discussions were held and as a result the membership will now have the final say on what process takes place. As far as the Contract is concerned I never took credit for that. It was the hard work of several officers especially one very new one who assisted in the pay scales. However, as far as I was concerned I gave credit to the Lord, for in the end it was His victory. Several times in Prayer it was referred as the Exodus, (the deliverance of the Jews from the Army of the Pharos.) Cursed is the man who puts his faith in flesh and not in the Lord. I feel very strongly about that and will not let your misplaced anger give credit to anyone but Him. As far as your contempt and anger for me, I am sorry. I only wish you would use your energy for the service of unity and solidarity as opposed to division and strife. Good things are happening, and your misguided anger is a distraction to the good that can be done. There have been over a (100) brothers and sisters volunteering to assist helping with the Dawson family. My wife and I are attempting to work a schedule with the family, this shows how strong our brotherhood is for one another, but you show citizens something different. I know how broken and flawed I am and how short we all fall from the Glory of Christ; I just don’t think an open forum is a good place to show it. Good Luck and please come to the meeting on Monday or to some the events, which you have recently missed. It is a celebration of brotherhood and the blue community, not anything else.

Semper Fi
Walser

04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
“Walser FOP 10”

If you felt it was inappropriate for a poster to publicly express their negative views as it pertained to the sergeant’s examination, I can assure you it is just as inappropriate for the President of FOP 10 to publicly publish a religious sermon. Your personal religious beliefs are of no interest to anyone in the membership, or anyone in public view of this website. You were not elected by the membership to express your religious beliefs in any capacity while representing this union.

It was also extremely inappropriate for you to publicly name a member of FOP 10, without his consent, at the conclusion of your sermon, regardless of the message.

04-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Keep your comments with venom off this site! If you bought the books and the membership decides to request to keep the good ol boy system then the FOP will refund you your $106.00 relax. GO TO THE MEETING NEXT MONDAY AND KEEP YOUR COMMENTS OF NEGATIVITY OFF THIS SITE. Call your FOP President instead of talking s**t.

who the heck does Dirty Harry think he is? That is funny to me, who died and made him the mod? Keep your venom off this site.......save your breath Harry. People need to get things off their chest sometimes and we all know you have to be careful who you say things to. We all know how easily you can get "black balled". So much politics at CPD, so much "Good ole boy" garbage going on, so much a$$ ki$$ing going on to the good ole boys. I am disgusted by so much. Dont talk any smack either and say well if you have something to say then come to a meeting and or go to the the person you have a beef with or "do something about it". Give me a break. If we were really able to do any of the above we would have gotten rid of a lot of the head honchos by now. They know who they are too, and so do you. Do these guys get off on being disliked by so many? Do you?

Dirty Harry
04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Sam I am,
The main comment I was referring to was the original poster saying things that they didn't have the answer to. They are out $106.00 for the books and infering it is all FOP-10's fault. Well first of all, your FOP-10 board didn't ratify the contract, we ALL did. The Staff will impose what they want, so the fact they chose those books was no request of FOP-10. I had the same questions as I was a little ticked off as well, but instead of coming on here and blasting the FOP Board, I asked. I was told, should the members vote to go back to the old system that the FOP will reimburse those of us that bought the books. It sure would be nice for folks to inquire on something then start slander. The original poster said it was time to cut the head off this snake giving reference. I will not accept any reimbursment money from FOP-10 FYI...

Oh, I'd also like to say "Hi" to the Citizens Review Board since they like to read this site.

Sam I am, go get some green eggs and ham.

04-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Also, it's a pretty decent thing for the FOP Board to even offer to give our money back. After all, the proposal given to the Chief did not have the Officers buying books. It was a decent, fair proposal that would never have made it because it would have taken some decision making power away from the Chief. This may just be a lesson learned by all. Let's not throw shots at anyone, especially each other over this. From what I can see, the FOP Union understood the members wanted a new promotion system. A new system was sent to the Chief. The Chief then basically said, OK...then take this! And here we are....So lets not divide over what is once again....a broke system.

Lenny Briscoe
04-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Why not take your receipt and return the book to where you purchased it and ask for your money back?

Why should the union be giving refunds? The union did not order you to buy the book in the first place.

If you bought something from a specific store, you certainly return it to the store where you bought it, not to another store.

Why should the union fork over the refund? The purchase was your choice.

I do not think the union should be refunding members money to those that chose to buy the book.

04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Sam I am,
The main comment I was referring to was the original poster saying things that they didn't have the answer to. They are out $106.00 for the books and infering it is all FOP-10's fault. Well first of all, your FOP-10 board didn't ratify the contract, we ALL did. The Staff will impose what they want, so the fact they chose those books was no request of FOP-10. I had the same questions as I was a little ticked off as well, but instead of coming on here and blasting the FOP Board, I asked. I was told, should the members vote to go back to the old system that the FOP will reimburse those of us that bought the books. It sure would be nice for folks to inquire on something then start slander. The original poster said it was time to cut the head off this snake giving reference. I will not accept any reimbursment money from FOP-10 FYI...

Oh, I'd also like to say "Hi" to the Citizens Review Board since they like to read this site.

Sam I am, go get some green eggs and ham.

oh poor DH you are an angry man, even though you would like to portray yourself not to be. You have been throwing shots ever since you got on this site, whether they were your own opinions or quoted from the Bible, you do throw jabs and backhanded comments. Please do not try to micro manage everyone else. This is a free country and we DO have the right to free speech.

Dirty Harry
04-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Hey Guest, where is the Bible verses? I don't remember quoting any Bible verses. I don't know any by heart. The "Poor DH" nah don't feel sympathy as I have thick skin :)

Free speech, your right. I don't have a problem with that just the one that speeks before they ask a simple question. I also don't like the bad / slanderous comments towards brothers and sisters in this forum.

Briscoe, You can return the books but they won't refund the "Rush" shipping which you had to do with the test looming in 3-weeks plus the shipping to send back. That is all behind us now as I'm sure we are back to old system. I too don't feel the FOP should reimburse, and I will not be asking for money.

04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey Guest, where is the Bible verses? I don't remember quoting any Bible verses. I don't know any by heart. The "Poor DH" nah don't feel sympathy as I have thick skin :)

Free speech, your right. I don't have a problem with that just the one that speeks before they ask a simple question. I also don't like the bad / slanderous comments towards brothers and sisters in this forum.

Briscoe, You can return the books but they won't refund the "Rush" shipping which you had to do with the test looming in 3-weeks plus the shipping to send back. That is all behind us now as I'm sure we are back to old system. I too don't feel the FOP should reimburse, and I will not be asking for money.

Hey DH...it's where ARE the Bible verses, not where IS the Bible verses, anyway good for you oh yeh of thick skin. If your skin is so thick try not to come off like you are running this show. You are entitled to your own opinion just as the rest of us are entitled to ours. I do not like the slanderous comments about any officer but hey guess what, many brothers/sisters don't ever have a problem pointing fingers at each other. Just get over it. Let them speak. As I said before maybe they know they should go directly to someone about particular complaints but on the other hand also know that if they say too much they can and will be black balled. Don't lie and say that isn't true.

04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Those 2 week old, now used books, you foolish guys bought and read, can be turned into the City Bookstore for the discounted refund of $22 for the main book and $5 for the Study Guide. Hope you enjoyed the rental.

Welcome to the world of Legal Theft brought to you by your local college bookstore. :evil: :evil: :twisted: