PDA

View Full Version : Detective Gooden

04-04-2007, 02:15 AM
I didn't know that officers are allowed to shoot fleeing felons! Oh yeah, they aren't supposed to - lil' Supreme Court case called Tennessee v. Garner. WHOOPS! :oops:

04-04-2007, 03:09 AM
There may be more to the story as to why she chose to fire off a couple rounds at the bank robber. Unless you know somehting that the rest of the orld doesnt know, how about give her the benefit of doubt.

I will add this.....having seen her on the firing range, I am not surprised she didnt hit him. :wink:

04-04-2007, 08:25 AM
I think you better check your case law...and statute...and policy...

Deadly force is justified against fleeing FORCABLE felons, which in this case armed robbery qualifies. Especially if he was headed towards Target and a potential hostage situation was right inside those doors.

04-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I can almost guarantee that she won't get into any trouble despite the fact that she shot at, admittidly enough a FORCEABLE Felon, and TOTALLY missed. Her incompetence knows no bounds. However, she is a black female; that got where she is not based on the merits of her abilities but the color of her skin and her sex. That is exactly where she will stay for the same reason. Least we forget she was also involved in the Spring St. Law office shooting, where neither she nor King SWAT himself, MCvicker couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and were shooting down range of another officer trapped in her car all while saying that they were aiming for the SUV tires. There will be absolutly no fallout from Tarlanda's F-Up that time or any other time, she has the get out of jail free card for the life of her career. You can bet on it.

04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
bottom line....she did the right thing.

04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Hmm so as the suspect runs away and big mike chases him, gooden starts firing rounds from behind mike at the fleeing suspect. In the mall parking lot area full of civilians and other officers. Friendly fire? You figure once she almost shot Officer Barbosa she would have been hesitant to fire so close to another officer...guess not.

04-05-2007, 03:34 AM
So this is what the PPD has come too, second guessing each other?? Next you will be lying on each other just to make yourself look good. Oh wait, that already happens too. Well I guess the admin is still the problem!! Man Im glad I left when I did......

04-05-2007, 01:34 PM
My criticisms, while meant to spur discussion and debate, were not made out of malice and without forethought. I send my husband out the door never knowing if he will return to me. It is bad enough when you think that it might be a criminal that does not think about his actions and how they might affect an entire family, but when a fellow officer, not once but twice, throws caution (and bullets) to the wind someone should speak up. I am not saying that she is a bad person. I am saying that I don’t think that she should be in the position that she is in if she cannot handle it, and she has proven time and time again that she cannot. Her blasé reasoning behind firing at a suspect was that he was running right towards the other detective. Well that means that she saw the suspect, saw the other officer in the immediate area (as well as others, this is the mall area for God’s sake) and rationalized a decision to fire her weapon anyway. I am not so arrogant as to purport to know the solution to the problem; But I do know this, she now has a history of firing downrange of other officers and if the administration continues to ignore this problem and she his another officer there will be a huge lawsuit to the city and the department will have provided the plaintiff with plenty to go to court with. And as we all know nothing spurs the department into action more than the though of someone hitting them in the pocketbook. What is the most troubling side note of this episode is that the thought of loosing an officer won’t make the administration take a hard look at an officer dangerous and deadly behavior on the street (especially if they happen to be the right color or sex) but that when their money is threatened they will.

04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
As stated earlier, the ultimate blame does not fall on Gooden. It is the admins fault that she received poor training at the range and that her range scores may have been "altered"(like that does not happen). Goodens ability to make a decesions under duress is questionable at best but who is to blame in the long run?? Her or the people who supervise and train her?? We all know an agency is only as good as the leaders who run it.

04-06-2007, 08:32 AM
The gangsta style shooting out the car window was crazy. I guess since she shoots so terrible it was a better bet then aiming.

04-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I can't believe some of the comments made on this web board. That's right, make our department look like not only a bunch of idiots, but cowards as well. Making negative comments about our agency so the world can see them while hiding behind the name of "Guest". This is why I don't normally read these things cause they are a waste. Our department is only as good as WE make it everybody. We know where the weak links are, every agency has them. Let's not publicize it to the world. These people have families too and it is just totally disrespectful towards another officer. The "Thin Blue Line" is fraying, and badly. If you have a problem with somebody, direct it to them and get it in the open, you don't need admin to do that. Be adults and work together. As long as we support each other we don't need admin to take care of us or work against us.

04-07-2007, 05:23 PM
ppdmember: you have it right. officers should support each other, and then they would probably get more support from admin. the "thin blue line" is almost gone. too many of the new, young officers don't know what it's supposed to mean. and too many officers want to look good for admin and the citizens instead of helping other officers. there is too much criticism from citizens about police officers. they are quick to criticize the police but wouldn't have a clue how to do the job. it's not at all like tv, and that's what most citizens know about police work...what's on tv.[/b]

04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I feel like I am in high school instead of a Police department. This is ridiculous and petty and all of you who think you are better than Gooden should have got off your ass and been there. So, if you weren't shut up. Oh, and if you think her aim is bad, why don't you offer to teach her better instead of doggin' her. Geez, how pathetic.

04-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Hang in there Taranda, you did a good job. Dont worry, this too will pass.

04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Disclaimer:

Just like any other organization, the Pensacola Police Department has it's share of malcontents and envious underachievers who feel like they need to criticize and tear down others to make up for their own failures. They cloak themselves in anonymity on a message board because their cowardice knows no bounds. We all have our embarassing cousins that we must deal with but Fortunately these types are very rare with this agency and are not representative of the very decent and professional officers that comprise a solid brotherhood within this Police Department.

04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I wonder if the wife that "sends her husband out the door never knowing if he will return to her" gives him his balls back before she sends him. I hope she sprinkles a little powder in his diaper too, don't want him cranky because of diaper rash. What is she doing posting here anyway. What kind of cop goes home and gives his wife information so she can go blab it to the community? Another example of the fraying of the Thin Blue Line. Guys and Gals, stick together. There are things in law enforcement you don't discuss with your spouse and families, and it's for their protection more than anything. Family members don't need to be running their mouths in public forums.

04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
I think you might need a refresher course in community policing buddy. We're here to help and to work with the community. It's not them against us. We are all the same.

04-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Where does community policing have anything to do with any of the postings? Who has said anything about "us against them"? The bottom line is some things that occur are not discussed publicly, that is a part of being a professional. Go let another handcuffed individual escape and get hit by a car, that is an fine example of community policing. The fact is, whoever this lady's husband is, lied to her about what occured, maybe to make himself look better in front of her. Having a cop for a husband is not the novelty she makes it out to be. She is either a new wife or very naive. Tell your wife to quit passing judgement on trained police officers and worry about her own husbands' issues.

04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I am so tired of hearing about Community Policing.It is total bs, when it comes down to it, it is US against THEM.I hear it so much from some guys at PPD, it really makes your department sound like it is full of twats.I'm not bashing PPD, a lot of good people there, but I hear it from so many of you guys.One particular poster whines about "do some community policing", to him I say, find yourself a set of balls and wake up from your idealistic fantasy.There are cops, people and there are dirtbags, the people and the dirtbags are not on our side, end of story.

Community Policing is the biggest crock they ever came up with.

04-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I am still trying to figure out how the community policing comment came into this coversation to begin with. If you want to be a cop, be a cop. If you want to make friends with thugs, join NAACP, they are all into community policing. It is funny how law enforcement is collapsing and the thugs are taking over. I watched a member of our community policing unit let a thug step all over him in the Jefferson St parking garage, the thug was a minor is possession of beer, and because of his "community policing" skills, he let the thug go. The thug laughed all the way back into Starbucks, it was embarassing. This same member (notice I call them member and not officer) is the one who is scared to go into the Village by himself. Does that narrow it down for everyone?

04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I am still trying to figure out how the community policing comment came into this coversation to begin with. If you want to be a cop, be a cop. If you want to make friends with thugs, join NAACP, they are all into community policing. It is funny how law enforcement is collapsing and the thugs are taking over. I watched a member of our community policing unit let a thug step all over him in the Jefferson St parking garage, the thug was a minor is possession of beer, and because of his "community policing" skills, he let the thug go. The thug laughed all the way back into Starbucks, it was embarassing. This same member (notice I call them member and not officer) is the one who is scared to go into the Village by himself. Does that narrow it down for everyone?

Disclaimer:
This antiquated views of this "member" do not necessarily reflect the the thoughts and viewpoints of the fine professional officers of the Pensacola Police Department. The Pensacola Police Department assumes no responsibility for the fact that this person has no concept whatsoever regarding community policing. That is all.

04-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I am so tired of hearing about Community Policing.It is total bs, when it comes down to it, it is US against THEM.I hear it so much from some guys at PPD, it really makes your department sound like it is full of twats.I'm not bashing PPD, a lot of good people there, but I hear it from so many of you guys.One particular poster whines about "do some community policing", to him I say, find yourself a set of balls and wake up from your idealistic fantasy.There are cops, people and there are dirtbags, the people and the dirtbags are not on our side, end of story.

Community Policing is the biggest crock they ever came up with.

Disclaimer:
This antiquated views of this "member" do not necessarily reflect the the thoughts and viewpoints of the fine professional officers of the Pensacola Police Department. The Pensacola Police Department assumes no responsibility for the fact that this person has no concept whatsoever regarding community policing. That is all.

04-14-2007, 05:20 AM
"Disclaimer:
This antiquated views of this "member" do not necessarily reflect the the thoughts and viewpoints of the fine professional officers of the Pensacola Police Department. The Pensacola Police Department assumes no responsibility for the fact that this person has no concept whatsoever regarding community policing. That is all."

what a nerd

04-15-2007, 12:51 AM
What in the world are you thinking? We work for the PEOPLE. We have our power because of the PEOPLE. We have jobs because of the PEOPLE. You sir, need a vacation and a reality check. One of those PEOPLE may end up saving your life one day.