PDA

View Full Version : contract

04-01-2007, 03:11 PM
What is going to happen with our contract this year? I mean, I don't know much about COLA and union stuff, but I do know this:

My Car insurance has gone up for no other reason than I live in Pinellas County FL. No tickets, Claims, accidents or anything for the last 30 years, but it still goes up.

My (and your) homeowner's insurance ....well, nevermind....I won't even insult your intelligence by going there...

My property taxes.... (see above)...

Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING has gone up in the last 3 years but our pay does not match up. There is no reason why a responsible person who lives within their means should live hand to mouth or work OT just to get by.

And before you start your rhetoric, bashing me, I am not one who drives a high end SUV or has boats, RV's or toys. I live a menial existence, bring my lunch to work and try to save for my retirement. I am not trying to bash or bring anyone or anything down. I just want to know if our new contract is going to realize that we are being forced out of our homes and possibly this state. This needs to be addressed or some other stated are probably going to get some experienced PO's coming there way.

When you read the papers the only answers that response that some elected officials say is that "Florida is a paradise, and you have to pay to live in paradise." That is disgusting to me. If this is a "paradise" it is because of the quality of officers and deputies here. The reason you can drive your Bentley GT down the street (aside from south st pete) without getting it taken from you and eat in your expensive restaurants is because of us.

Lets see how much of a "paradise" this place is when your streets are being patrolled by a bunch of 19 year old kids who live with their parents and have NO idea what is going on while the cops with the homes, wives and children leave "paradise" to find a place that they can afford!

WE NEED TO ATTEND ALL OF OUR UNION AND CONTRACT MEETING AND MAKE SURE THAT WE DO NOT GET JIPPED!

04-01-2007, 03:15 PM
You can spare me the insults on the typos, I noticed them when it posted. So please enlighten with your posts instead of calling out my typing deficiencies.

04-01-2007, 03:34 PM
i agree with the above 100%. We need to stand together and show the city that we are watching what is going on here...I saw a sign on a business the other day that said something along the lines of.."Thanks Pinellas Park, no taxes for three years!" Something like that..I have to go find it again because it made me so sick I didn't look at it for long..

Bottom line, its no secret that the city cuts tax breaks for the businesses that come in..and it's at our expense...I'm gonna be at as many meetings as I can...and I hope you all will too..

04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I agree with both posters and disagree with the last one at the same time.

Please do not take this a slam but more information correction. I agree everything has gone up and pay should rise as well. I also have a wife and kids and depending on what happens this next contract, will decide if I leave this city for out of state and most likely out of law enforcement employment. I don't want to but with rising housing costs, pardise Florida is nearly not worth it anymore.

I also agree that all officers need to be at the up coming contract talks. Numbers are important, we should all be there.

Now to the disagreement part. The city does give monetary breaks to drive businesses into the city limits. Understand that without such breaks businesses wouldn't annex into the city and eventually neither would the revenue the city obtains from those buisnesses. It is basically giving up some fees that you wouldn't get anyway for assurance that you will receive tax revenues in a few years. For those of you with business sense, it is basically a loss lead. As far as I'm concerned good business strategy. Understand that if they didn't give such enticements, the business wouldn't annex and you wouldn't benefit from the increase tax rolls (budget increases) in later years.

If you have more incite into your opinion on this matter, I would like to here your perspective. Dialogue is a good thing.

04-02-2007, 01:42 AM
I agree with your position that it is a smart business move to intice businesses in with tax breaks and it probably pays off in the long run. But this will be my third contract negotiation and I am getting the feeling that the city will be crying the same thing it has been crying for the last two. we have no money..

Well when does the turnaround take place? Also, and I think that this is a great point, part of the reason why folks annex into this city is the great service provided by us and the other city divisions..if that is the case then we should be paid as such.

They want us to move into the city and live close by..but they don't pay us to keep up with housing costs. A lot of the guys moving further out are finding houses that are affordable. Case in point..there are several brand new houses around 60th Street and 80th Avenue that are 4 BR, 3 BA and they are selling for $350,000. A similar house, give or take 30 mins north or south is around $200,000-$250,000.

$200,000 is affordable, $350,000 is not...

04-02-2007, 01:53 AM
I agree with your point totally.

Remember, since this is your third contract, two contracts ago, we were number one paywise in the County at the end. Shortly after the last contract we had one of the most liberable take home policies in Pinellas County. We haven't done that bad and our turnover rate shows it.

Don't give up hope before it starts. We ALL need to be at the meetings and be an active part.

However, remember the legislature is talking about major property tax reform. That directly effects the city budget. This time their crying poormouth may actually have some legitimacy to it. However, the city cannot ignore that the cost of living in our area has gone up more than avg. inflation in the country. They must keep us competitive and give us an affordable wage. Even they can't be naive enough not to understand that.

We will find out soon. I hear negotiations start tomorrow.