PDA

View Full Version : Media

03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Isn't it illegal for the media to put the name of a rape victim in the paper or on a tv stations website? :?:

03-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Florida State Statute 794.03 Unlawful to publish or broadcast information identifying sexual offense victim:

No person shall print, publish, or broadcast, or cause or allow to be printed, published, or broadcast, in any instrument of mass communication the name, address, or other identifying fact or information of the victim of any sexual offense within this chapter. Such identifying information is confidential and exempt from the provisions of s. 119.07(1). An offense under this section shall constitute a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. (END)

Here is a link in which a Florida Newspaper was charged with this crime:

http://supreme.justia.com/us/491/524/case.html

The jury awarded B. J. F. $75,000 in compensatory damages and $25,000 in punitive damages. Against the actual damages award, the judge set off B. J. F.'s settlement with the Department.

The paper's argument was that it was accidently published by law enforcement but the courts noted that an administrative error did not release their responsibility to abide by the law. The law enforcement agency settled with the victim for $2500.00.

Hope this helps...

03-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I was told by another deputy that if the person is killed that their name is fair game and can be released. I am just asking this because the 69 yr old lady that was killed from being raped by the guy that is in our jail. I saw the ladies name on a tv station website. If thats true about the name being fair game after a person dies, I think we need to change that. What about the family of the person who was raped and killed? They should be protected too.