PDA

View Full Version : HB0073

03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
HB 73 - Labor Organizations

GENERAL BILL by Allen (CO-SPONSORS) Adams; Anderson; Brandenburg; Brisé; Bullard; Carroll; Coley; Cretul; Davis, M.; Domino; Evers; Gibbons; Gibson, H.; Glorioso; Grimsley; Harrell; Hays; Heller; Hooper; Hukill; Jenne; Kiar; Kreegel; Legg; Llorente; Long; McKeel; Meadows; Nehr; Patterson; Porth; Proctor; Richardson; Robaina; Ross; Sands; Scionti; Seiler; Thurston; Williams; Zapata
Labor Organizations: Requires certain state law enforcement agency officers to be in separate bargaining units & provides guidelines for establishing such separate units.
Effective Date: July 1, 2007.

Last Event: Now in Government Efficiency & Accountability Council on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:10 PM

Referred Committees and Committee Actions: - Committee on State Affairs
On agenda for: 03/14/07 1:00 PM Notice
Favorable With Amendments () (final action) See Votes
- Government Efficiency & Accountability Council
- Policy & Budget Council

Related Bills:
Bill # Subject Relationship
CS/SB 128 Fla. Highway Patrol Sergeant Nicholas Sottile Act [LPCC] Similar

Bill Text:
Original Filed Version

Staff Analysis:
Chamber Committee
House Committee on State Affairs 3/14/2007 4:09:48 PM
House Committee on State Affairs 3/12/2007 5:02:40 PM

Vote History:
(no votes recorded)

Bill History:
Event Time Member Committee
Now in Government Efficiency & Accountability Council Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:10 PM Government Efficiency & Accountability Council
Reported out of Committee on State Affairs Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:10 PM Committee on State Affairs
Favorable with amendments by Committee on State Affairs Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:11 PM Committee on State Affairs
Added to Committee on State Affairs agenda Monday, March 12, 2007 4:25 PM Committee on State Affairs
1st Reading Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:59 PM
Cosponsorship withdrawn Thursday, February 08, 2007 2:48 PM Kriseman
Now in Committee on State Affairs Friday, January 12, 2007 4:28 PM Committee on State Affairs
Referred to Committee on State Affairs by Government Efficiency & Accountability Council Friday, January 12, 2007 4:28 PM Committee on State Affairs
Now in Government Efficiency & Accountability Council Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:06 PM Government Efficiency & Accountability Council
Referred to Policy & Budget Council Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:06 PM Policy & Budget Council
Referred to Government Efficiency & Accountability Council Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:06 PM Government Efficiency & Accountability Council
Filed Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:12 AM Allen

Statutes Referenced by this Bill

03-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Well I read it now help me understand it.

03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/ ... lId=34197& (http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=34197&)

03-27-2007, 05:02 PM
HB 73 2007
CODING: Words stricken are deletions; words underlined are additions.
hb0073-00
Page 1 of 1
F L O R I D A H O U S E O F R E P R E S E N T A T I V E S
1 A bill to be entitled
2 An act relating to labor organizations; creating s.
3 447.3075, F.S.; requiring that the officers of certain
4 state law enforcement agencies be in a separate bargaining
5 unit; providing guidelines for establishing such separate
6 unit; providing an effective date.
8 Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
10 Section 1. Section 447.3075, Florida Statutes, is created
11 to read:
12 447.3075 Law enforcement bargaining units; separate units
13 required; establishment.--
14 (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law,
15 administrative rule, or decision to the contrary, any state law
16 enforcement agency that has 1,200 or more officers shall be in a
17 bargaining unit that is separate from officers in other state
18 law enforcement agencies. If the application of this subsection
19 requires that a new state law enforcement bargaining unit be
20 created, a question concerning representation is not deemed to
21 have arisen regarding the new unit or the existing unit.
22 (2) Upon appropriate petition, a representation election
23 to determine the bargaining representative for the new unit
24 shall be held notwithstanding any contract that prohibits such
25 election. After the initial election for the new unit is
26 conducted, all statutory election and contract provisions shall
27 apply.
28 Section 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2007.

03-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Simply put - effective July 1, 2007; there will be only one State Law Enforcement Agency that can "stand alone" and have their own bargaining unit. For anyone new to the State of Florida, that agency would have the initials of FH and P. The rest of the State Law Enforcement Agencies will now pretty much be on their own yet grouped together as a much weaker voice in the halls of Tally. United we stand and divided we fall - this would be a step in the direction of dividing and falling. It won't be a step forward for all Law Enforcement for the State as it obviously is being done to weaken the voice of the bargaining unit. There is nothing that can be done on your part to stop it as it is all about politics and you guys and gals are all just along for the ride right now.

03-28-2007, 12:57 AM
So whom is it that FHP owns that initially drafted this bill?

03-28-2007, 01:13 AM
Allen sponsored it, and there are a lot of co-sponsors. Can't PBA do something, if we get together and voice our opinion? Call a Represenative, Senator.

03-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Put on your investigator hat and go to work.

If you want to start blaming people, go the link and start looking at the sponsors of the bill.

Or, it could just be plain politics that will prevent ALL state agencies to form one agency and call it the "State Police". So, we could start with the Sheriff's Association since they have the hardest time with it, and don't want to give up and authority. Or we could go with a FHP lobbyist who wanted the separation just because they are "Florida's Finest". (Just ask, they will tell you.). Or a combination of all of the above.

All said, this is a done deal, and we can't do a thing about it. I understand FHP is hiring and they have a really cool cross-over academy....

03-28-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't work for the State, so this doesn't affect me, but this looks like an issue to fight? The last "thinker" said it's a done deal. Well, I would be calling everyone I could, having as many people as possible calling Governor Crist and this Allen person and the rest of the co-sponsors. Never give up for goodness sake. God Bless

03-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Allen sponsored it, and there are a lot of co-sponsors. Can't PBA do something, if we get together and voice our opinion? Call a Represenative, Senator.

PBA has done something about it. THEY SPONSORED AND SUPPORT IT!!!!
This is what they have been promising the troopers all along if they got elected back as the bargaining unit. I feel sorry for the other state LEO's who didn't do their homework and got duped into voting for PBA. In a year or so you guys will be crying for IUPA back.

04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Does it really matter if FHP seperates? Maybe it will work out better for DEP. Now you can ask for stuff that will benefit DEP Officers and not be overruled by FHP. I think the politicians will be more likely to listen to your agency if FHP is out of the picture.

04-29-2007, 02:33 PM
This bill passed last week, and unless it is vetoed by the governor will become law. There were NO senate or house votes against the bill. The bill text states that any state agency with over 1200 sworn must now be in a separate collective bargaining unit.

04-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Go Team Go!!!!!!!!!!! :?