PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Sheriff's Office?

03-24-2007, 01:27 AM
County 5th graders provide vital statistics for decreasing early drug use
By Lizz Harold Staff Writer

Dr. John Crosby, Cherokee County Drug Coalition Director, revealed information to the coalition on March 13 that included the drug, alcohol, and weapon use behavior of Cherokee County fifth graders.

Based upon the data compiled by the county wide Pride Survey, local fifth graders appeared to be experimenting with inhalants such as glue and gasoline.

Though only 1.2% of the 257 students said that their friends would approve of inhalants, 7.2% said that such drugs are easy to get.

The availability of household and school products that can be huffed and inhaled for a high appeared to be the problem. Though a child may not use inhalents or any other drug as early as fifth grade, the availability of such substances can provide a future risk to any child.

"Fifth grade is the experimental era," explained Dr. John Crosby.

The coalition continued to look at the demographic as a helpful tool in understanding when drug habits are learned and what action to take to combat those behaviors.

"This information enables us to be targetted and specific," said Sue Lynn Ledford.

Approximately 60% of the children said that they weren't sharing their problems with their parents.

The coalition discussed the lack of communication between at risk children and their parents as an avenue to explore and provide solutions in order to bridge the communication gap.

A positive impact for children in the 10-12 age group could be made if they understand early on the real consequences of drug use through discussions of healthy choices at school and at home.

"Research tells us that for behavior to change, they need to hear a consistant message," said Ledford. "With this, we will decrease the numbers."

The Pride survey in Cherokee County has given the coalition valuable data that could be effective in all arenas of drug, alcohol, and violence prevention. Other counties have taken part in the survey, including Clay County and recently Swain County.

The survey results have been used in part with the Safe Schools Healthy Students grant and other county civic organizations in order to approach issues with clear evidence of local problems.

The Mendez program, a K- 12 drug and alcohol prevention program, will be introduced in the county school curriculumin the fall.

03-24-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm a deputy in a Florida Sheriff's Office and presently a School Resource Officer at three elementary schools. The program that the 5th graders enjoy is the D.A.R.E. program with emphasis on tobacco, alcohol, marijuana and inhalants. This program is taught to the 5th graders due to the fact that they are the "targeted" children that will be pressured by older kids in Middle School. The Middle Schools then follow-up with the G.R.E.A.T. program that deals more indepth with drug related problems and gang affiliation.

Any type of intervention by your Sheriff's Office in the school system will pay excellent dividends later on for the kids. You have to have the support of the school board and principals. We are having a tough time because of all the FCAT (special testing to graduate and get prmoted). The principals don't leave us much time for teaching, but it's worth it becasue the kids really look forward to me coming in and talking with them. If you get the properly motivated deputies to do this, you wuill see the difference later.

03-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm a deputy in a Florida Sheriff's Office and presently a School Resource Officer at three elementary schools. The program that the 5th graders enjoy is the D.A.R.E. program with emphasis on tobacco, alcohol, marijuana and inhalants. This program is taught to the 5th graders due to the fact that they are the "targeted" children that will be pressured by older kids in Middle School. The Middle Schools then follow-up with the G.R.E.A.T. program that deals more indepth with drug related problems and gang affiliation.

Any type of intervention by your Sheriff's Office in the school system will pay excellent dividends later on for the kids. You have to have the support of the school board and principals. We are having a tough time because of all the FCAT (special testing to graduate and get prmoted). The principals don't leave us much time for teaching, but it's worth it becasue the kids really look forward to me coming in and talking with them. If you get the properly motivated deputies to do this, you wuill see the difference later.

Could not agree with you more in your approach, unfortunately our SRO's and the Sheriff's office is not motivated enough in reaching out to our children as they should, or like you suggested. Its very apparent that you enjoy your job and take a very serious interest in the future of your youth. Here in our mountain community the L.E. community is not as dedicated. Educating our youth is the future of our county and our country. I thank you for your post, suggestions and your contribution to our children. I hope things do get better here in the future.

03-26-2007, 04:17 AM
again where did you get your facts from? to state that all the officers here are not interested in the future of our youth is just plain ridiculous. I have lived in this area all of my life and our Law enforcement community is something to be proud of. Our LEO community keeps growing and getting better trained and equipted every day, just look in the past at the records that are kept and you will see for your self that our LEO's are making a difference in our community. I say again please get your facts straight before you post about the motivations and interests of our LEO's and you my friend also will carry more weight in your word.

03-28-2007, 12:22 AM
again where did you get your facts from? to state that all the officers here are not interested in the future of our youth is just plain ridiculous. I have lived in this area all of my life and our Law enforcement community is something to be proud of. Our LEO community keeps growing and getting better trained and equipted every day, just look in the past at the records that are kept and you will see for your self that our LEO's are making a difference in our community. I say again please get your facts straight before you post about the motivations and interests of our LEO's and you my friend also will carry more weight in your word.

You are right, this is the best sheriff's office around! They are the best trained in 50 states and have even curved the "War on Drugs". Keep believing that!