PDA

View Full Version : Department Cell Phones

03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Do all of you know that you can actually use your department cell phones for work related calls?? I'll give some examples:

To verfiy a Pinellas County arrest warrant

To call another agency for info, like specifics on a BOLO

To call out detectives

To talk to your Sergeant

To call the comp of your call to get more info while en route

Dont sound like a moron and tell the dispatcher to call someone. They have to AM a calltaker who has to wait to get the message on top of taking calls and typing them up. And who better to your message across than you?

I could make list of people who only use the radio to blab for 8 hours, but I would run out of space. But then again half of those that do like to sound important and let everyone know what important crap they are on, or at least they think its a big deal. Stop being lazy and use your dam phones.

03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
You mean the same phones that die after one call? Great advice genious.

03-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, uh, see if your cell phone dies after one call, that means the battery needs to be replaced, genius.

Great question, moron.

03-23-2007, 09:51 PM
You are mostly correct, and it sure would be great if more people used their phones rather than tie up the radio or comm center staff. But do not use the phone for warrants, it can bite you. Specifically, when you bypass comm center to get a warrant validated, you lose the written confirmation that would be added into your call. Even with local warrants, CS01 is supposed to, by policy, be the one to orchestrate the confirmation to include generating and verifying all documentation that the warrant is valid. If for whatever reason there is a problem with the warrant, you are now hanging in the wind as there is no "proof" that you got it confirmed. I can't remember who got in trouble for that, but it was about two years ago and resulted in at least a reprimand.

03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
the only warrant that you can, by policy, confirm is a Pinellas County Warrant. Read your general orders dude, you can confirm it through the Warrants Section yourself. Its quicker and easier. If you are so paranoid to think that you need a confirmation buffer you need medication. Or take the warrant # or defendants name and look it up in CJIS and print the case out to show that a warrant was issued. All other warrants you have to run through teletype by policy.

Mostly correct, wrong, totally correct. You however offer up an example of someone, perosn unknown, from two year ago, maybe, and a supposed reprimand. I'd bet they screwed up beyond that and mis-identified someone or something to that effect.

And go read your policy and show me where it says CS01 is supposed to orchestrate all that. Read it again chief and see above.

Idiot

03-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Feel free to keep calling warrants yourself. There was a memo that came out from Lyttle right before he retired (so that would be a time frame) that specifically ordered people not to do that because of the problems it caused. If policy hasn't caught up with that yet, then where there is a problem with the warrant and warrants wants to say that they told you it was NOT confirmed when you heard "confirmed" and have no paper trail to back it up, just sign whatever violation they nail you with with a smile on your face knowing you were told otherwise. Besides, when you go through warrants by phone your squad has no idea what you are dealing with because it wont come over the air, nor will it be added to the call. But again, feel free to keep doing it that way....

03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Gosh man thanks. You are so knowledgeable. If youre so stupid as to not be onviewed on a 60 or have advised your dispatcher that youre out with a 60 then you are the moron. If you wait for the verification process to "alert" them to what you are on you are stupid.

Go ahead and re-read your polcies too there ACE, it still says you can confirm it by phone, yourself, through the warrants section. If you are so stupid as to not understand the difference between someone telling you that a warrant is good versus not over the phone, what makes you think that CS01 would do any better? Thats just stupid. Reoccuring theme, your stupid, thanks for playing "lets be stupid", your the winner.