PDA

View Full Version : Questions about PBA meeting with Director?

03-22-2007, 02:51 PM
1) Ok it great we are having a good relationship with PBA, however why would we change our name to "Florida PArk Police" Doesnt that defeat the entire purpose of being Div of LE.? What happened to DEP Div of LE and have BEI and Bureau of Uniform Services. Didnt we have cars long ago that said Florida Park Patrol, why go back in time...

I am sorry there is more to this job than just Park Police and its about time someone notice it.

2) Who is the bright person who wanted a uniform change? Our uniforms are sharp and profesional. We finally start get recognized finally with our cars and uniforms and now someone want s to change it AGAIN. Come on,,,enough enough. If you want to spend money on something. How about an actual raise>>>>

3) We are not a functioning 24/7 police agency why would we pretend to be. Come on thats why most of the experienced people come here because its diverse and has much freedom but morale is low because the admin is micro managing everything changing hours around not caring about the troops. This is a great job if we are allowed to do our jobs inside and outside the parks.

03-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I think it should just be DLE Patrol Bureau or Patrol Division. Take the park out of it altogether.

03-23-2007, 04:52 AM
1) Ok it great we are having a good relationship with PBA, however why would we change our name to "Florida PArk Police" Doesnt that defeat the entire purpose of being Div of LE.? What happened to DEP Div of LE and have BEI and Bureau of Uniform Services. Didnt we have cars long ago that said Florida Park Patrol, why go back in time...

I am sorry there is more to this job than just Park Police and its about time someone notice it.

2) Who is the bright person who wanted a uniform change? Our uniforms are sharp and profesional. We finally start get recognized finally with our cars and uniforms and now someone want s to change it AGAIN. Come on,,,enough enough. If you want to spend money on something. How about an actual raise>>>>

3) We are not a functioning 24/7 police agency why would we pretend to be. Come on thats why most of the experienced people come here because its diverse and has much freedom but morale is low because the admin is micro managing everything changing hours around not caring about the troops. This is a great job if we are allowed to do our jobs inside and outside the parks.

Oh it's you again ...

Ok I will explain it ... Park Patrol is vague, it can be construed as park rangers, security guards, or even citizens on patrol. The terminology "police" is universally understood and is also used in many other countries. The term police could prevent misunderstandings that could lead to confrontations and give us some much earned respect.

Anxiously awaiting your rebuttal ...

03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
[Bureau of Pollice Services????[/b]

03-23-2007, 11:46 AM
spell check "POLICE"

03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Anxiously awaiting your rebuttal ...[/quote]

Wht are you so grouchy? I brought up valid and constructive point. Why isnt FHP Florida Highway Police or DOT Dept of Commerical Police. Come on Im just be realistic. State Police is Universal also but we know were not so lets stick to being practical. We are not just Park Police and I am personally tired of hearing people try and label us as it.

Patrol Div and Investigative Div is too easy they would never do that, Whats your crtitique on our uniform. I likeit why would people want to change it. Its great all embroidered.

03-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Grouchy because I'm tired of worrying how I'm gonna pay my bills on this salary.

Uniforms ... I have no problem with the uniform. Lighter weight black pants would be a bit more comfortable.

Lastly, Police. I am a little confused why you think Patrol garners more respect than police. I agree our job is much more than police, but since policing is a significant aspect of our job I don't understand how "patrol" serves to enhance our image and assist the public in understanding what exactly our function, authority and responsibilities are.

Patrol is too vague unless you are one of the many state highway patrols. State highway patrols are universally accepted thanks to Ponch and Jon. Park patrol is not a universally accepted terminology and could be misinterpreted, which could lead to unwarranted confrontations because someone thinks you are a security guard.

I pray that with more respect and recognition will come more money. Maybe our elected officials is Tallahassee will see us as valuable "police" officers instead of expendable security "patrols."

03-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Point well taken I understand your idea and it does make sense. I just dont for see it occuring because of the Political clout ie..Florida Sheriffs and etc feeling if one state agency is labeled police then it will move toward State Police and we know we can not have that becasue their isnt enough crime in Florida ... I agree with you though. Good luck and stay safe

03-25-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the understanding. I just want the best for our agency.

Your point about the Sheriff's Assoc. being threatened by the "State Police" is a definite reality. I have heard on several occasions that is why the consolidation bill keeps failing. Other states who have State Police maintain an MOU so as not to trample on the authority of local agencies and act primarily in a support role.

Time to shelve the egos and do what is in the best interest for everyone.

Stay safe out there.

Still Grouchy, but getting better everyday.

04-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I have an idea....how about paying us more so we can get qualified people who WANT to stay. I have seen too many good officers get disgusted and leave because of piss poor management.

Things still haven't changed any in my district. I know Mr. Barnet is trying his best to fix the mess that Tommy three sticks created, but we still have not heard any communications from Tallahassee.

Forget the State Police thing. It ain't happening. Never will. End of story.

Get used to being Park Police. We will not change our authority as long as Parks and Recs. runs the show. Say hello to the nice visitors and please don't upset them.

Anything else?

04-15-2007, 11:07 PM
You have obviously forgotten to take your medicine today.
Chill out, and give this ting some time.
It has taken seven years to screw this thing up to where it is today and you can’t expect it to get fixed over-night.
Think positive and realize that change will be slow, but they will be positive.
Now, take your meds and take a nap; you will feel better tomorrow.

05-08-2007, 09:40 PM
You have obviously forgotten to take your medicine today.
Chill out, and give this ting some time.
It has taken seven years to screw this thing up to where it is today and you can’t expect it to get fixed over-night.
Think positive and realize that change will be slow, but they will be positive.
Now, take your meds and take a nap; you will feel better tomorrow.

I took my meds and a good nap. Nothing has changed. I keep reading about promotions and better conditons, but this is in Tallhassee. I don't work in Tallahassee. I have yet to talk with or meet anyone from Tallahasse since the new staff has taken over. I'm not asking for much, just a little face time perhaps? Listen to what I have to say.

I am trying to think positive. But now that the legislature has given us the ultimate slap in the face, I will need to ask if you want paper or plastic and do you need a carry out today.

I'm going back to my nap now. :(

05-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, be careful what you wish for.
We had a visit from the Chief and got the "face time" that you are speaking of. Everything we told him was confidential, he said. The last stop he made was at our district office. The next thing that happened was officers getting phone calls from the Lt. along with a healthy dose of attitude about what had been said to the Chief while he was here.
Those "confidential" were not at all confidential.
So, be wary of that line.

Director Barnett has already started making some very good changes, so I am hopeful that some of these old timers and do nothings that are soaking up good money that officers could be getting will be made to leave soon.

05-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry that the "confidential" time that you had with Chief Stephens was used to chew you out. I learned a long time ago that you MUST do what he says and that suggestions go in one ear and out the other. "It's my way or the highway" mentality is still going strong in this agency.

I learned a long time ago to trust not one single person in the brass section. Sorry to feel that way, but I have to survive. We in the field have some great ideas, but once again, we need to say hello to the visitors and please don't upset them.

Is anyone in Tallahasse listening?

05-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry that the "confidential" time that you had with Chief Stephens was used to chew you out. I learned a long time ago that you MUST do what he says and that suggestions go in one ear and out the other. "It's my way or the highway" mentality is still going strong in this agency.

I learned a long time ago to trust not one single person in the brass section. Sorry to feel that way, but I have to survive. We in the field have some great ideas, but once again, we need to say hello to the visitors and please don't upset them.

Is anyone in Tallahasse listening?

You idiots need to stop flapping your jaws bad-mouthing your bosses. The PBA has worked long and hard to get into bed with your bosses and deliver cheap labor to them. Shut up with the whining! If you even think of filing a grievance we'll stop it in it's tracks! Contracts mean nothing! We own you all now.
IUPA let you complain and they even went so far as to fight for you, but forget that mentality! It's back to the good old days. The PBA and the bosses are back in bed to stay.
Shut up and take the crumbs that we toss you losers. You should have never voted us out and now that we have you back you're going to pay for dissing us.

05-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I guess we have paid for dissing the PBA. I think it is called NO PAY INCREASE!

I think I heard "dueling banjoes"playing in the background too. Maybe we have reverted back to the good 'ol days of politics. Maybe I can find a back to scratch somewhere.... but wait, Im not in Tallahassee so it doesn't matter. Silly me. :cry:

05-13-2007, 11:42 AM
We were hoping the new Director would take us in a new direction. Away from Park Rangers! Apparently not, if you did not know all Captains and one Lt from each District is going to a Park Ranger Meeting for three days in Orlando in a nice hotel. What is this? :shock:

The itenerary has nothing to do with Park Patrol! Do we need to spend so much money where one representative from the agency can be instead of sending an army? :?:

We know the job is outstanding but this ridiculous spending of money is probably why the Legislature does not give us raises and cost of living :evil: !

Please, some one pay attention and get it together! :wink:

05-13-2007, 03:27 PM
The money would be much better spent sending those people to some sort of law enforcement school. Unless, you are one of the old timer used to be a park manager/ranger law enforcement officers. In that case the law enforcement training would be lost.

There are so many new issues that face law enforcement officers. Gangs, active shooter scenarios etc... Why not send our leaders to those schools.

How many of us have hadactive shooter training? If an incident like the one at Virginia Tech happened in your area(you know would go even if you were'nt sent), would you have the training?

What if this scenario happened in a park? I have alot of gang activity in my parks, but have had no gang related training. It is useless "training" and meetings like this one that eat into our funds and use money that could be used to do POLICE/LAW ENFORCEMENT training.

I have heard the park managers comment on why DLE needs to send so many LT's and Captains to these meetings etc.. they have said that it is over kill and that one person would be sufficient.

Again, this is the thinking of the old guard. The people that want to put these park employees in our chain of command. It is ridiculous!

I thought this was almost over. It is discouraging.

I want to go forward, not backwards.

If I wanted to be a park ranger, then that is what I would have applied to do.

If I wanted to work for Wackenhut, then I would have applied with them.

05-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Stop being so crabby and unreasonable about being a Wackenhut Security Guard and part time park ranger for DEP. You get paid allot of money compared to either of the entities you criticized and you have much nicer toys. If you wanted to do real police work then you should have joined a real police force where you are dispatched to real police calls. Besides, everyone knows that when you home sleeping nice and cozy in your bed with your little night light plugged in, the real police, deputies from the Sheriffs Office, patrol the parks and answer calls.

So, enjoy your luxury while you have it and stop complaining. If your agency wanted you to do police work then they would have made you state police officers and not “The Bureau of Park Patrol.” Every time I hear “The Bureau of Park Patrol,” I think of the movie “Police Academy” with stand in “Key Stone Cops” actors. The State of Florida would be better off saving the money and contracting with the local Police and Sheriff’s offices for qualified and trained individuals who enjoy working in the law enforcement profession.