PDA

View Full Version : Union

03-17-2007, 03:50 AM
It might be time for us to form a union before some quak gets elected Sheriff ...... We need to lock in what we have now and improve our working conditions like other agencies have.

03-17-2007, 06:30 AM
It might be time for us to form a union before some quak gets elected Sheriff ...... We need to lock in what we have now and improve our working conditions like other agencies have.

Why, so you can make money off of us? Nice try at getting in the door though. I think we'll be fine K.D.

03-17-2007, 03:18 PM
You don't know that it was K.D. who made the post, so now you're going to cause him to get "political heat" for something that may not have come from him????? You're an idiot. :roll:

03-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Just Take a quick look at HCSO and see how PBA has screwed up one of the best agencies in Florida,or better yet just scroll up and read some of the Posts..Thanks but no thanks

03-21-2007, 01:23 AM
LITTLE IRISH COP!! I LUV YA!! :wink: BUT IF U HAD THE PBA OR A UNION! THEY FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS! THAT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW YOU HAVE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT IN FLORIDA AND YOUR SALARY! PLUS ,PLUS ,PLUS! MIN. DUES. WITH YOUR IA DEPT. YOU NEED IT. VOTE FOR IT IF IT EVER COMES UR WAY! IT ONLY TAKES ONE BS COMPLAINT TO END YOUR CAREER. LET THEM PROTECT YOU. IF YOU EVER GET PERSONALLY SUIED. THEY PROVIDE FREE COUNCIL. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT DEP. :wink:

03-27-2007, 03:58 AM
LITTLE IRISH COP!! I LUV YA!! :wink: BUT IF U HAD THE PBA OR A UNION! THEY FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS! THAT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW YOU HAVE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT IN FLORIDA AND YOUR SALARY! PLUS ,PLUS ,PLUS! MIN. DUES. WITH YOUR IA DEPT. YOU NEED IT. VOTE FOR IT IF IT EVER COMES UR WAY! IT ONLY TAKES ONE BS COMPLAINT TO END YOUR CAREER. LET THEM PROTECT YOU. IF YOU EVER GET PERSONALLY SUIED. THEY PROVIDE FREE COUNCIL. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT DEP. :wink:

TMACK you sure do post a lot about an agency you don't know jack about. What the heck do you know about our IA department other than what you might hear from someone that is actually the recipient of a sustained IA and recieves a punitive measure. I suppose we should all look the other way (like those knuckle dragging northern big city, big shot, big mouths). Then we can all watch our department go down the crapper. I think we are better of maintaining a sense of pride, integrity and a high standard answering to the citizens we serve. You the man TMACK, you got all the answers. We all look forward to hearing your ever-so valuable next post. You are my HERO! :P

03-27-2007, 05:30 AM
I work for a mid sized agency in Pinellas and the FOP is a good union. They have a good attorney and he is available 24/7. I think they do the best they can. We wouldn't have half of the benifits we do have if they were not here. Like take home cars 30 miles from the city limits at no cost.

03-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Tmacks Pie Hole,
Man you hit that last post of yours right on the head.Tmack who puts himself off to be a Beantown former cop thinks the rest of us were born under a Turnip Wagon.From stealth mode dash-cams to PBA benefits this guy is a jack of all trades and a master of none.Does Boston PD make you all knowing? He has no clue about are benefits here and having worked for both a PBA and FOP represented agency in the past 35 years I have found absolutely no need to have them represent me for their outragious membership fees,blue flu and slow down threats for not getting their demands.Tmack needs to look at the FRS. rated one of the best in the USA.A recently retired SPD Lt will bring home 3400.00 a year less then a vested MSO Deputy First Class.He paid into his pension and O YEA he was represented by the PBA..AGAIN THANKS BUT NO THANKS

04-03-2007, 03:24 PM
ask BPD how they like PBA, doesnt seem like they have got a whole lot out of it. Seems to me you just piss off the people who approve the budget, ie the county commission. PBA can ask for the world but its still up to the commission to give the ok. I vote a great big NO for union.

04-03-2007, 04:34 PM
FOP would be the one!!!!!!!!!!

04-03-2007, 11:33 PM
ask BPD how they like PBA, doesnt seem like they have got a whole lot out of it. Seems to me you just piss off the people who approve the budget, ie the county commission. PBA can ask for the world but its still up to the commission to give the ok. I vote a great big NO for union.
I vote yes. :)

04-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I vote NO WAY! :?

04-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Just ask for a copy of our latest contract and we will send it. Was it 100% what we wanted.....of course not, however, it isnt that bad either. 10yr officer w/o specialty pay $55,000. Union dues are around $32.00 a month (Tax Deductable). I'm not sure how your pay scale goes but it would be nice to see the differences. POSITIVE REPLIES would be appreciated instead of a slam fest. Thanks BPD Unit.

04-08-2007, 06:28 AM
You mean to tell me that a 10 year Officer only makes $55,000 a year? You guys are getting screwed down there! Top pay here is $61,000 a year after only three years! Our new three year contract gives us an 11.5% raise on top of that! The average cop here is making about $85,000 to $90,000 a year without busting your hump. The cost of living here is even less than where you guys are. The unfortunate thing about Florida is that it is a right to work state so unions are basically powerless. Too bad because unions are great tools to keep management in check and to raise wages.

04-08-2007, 02:02 PM
That is B.S. I moved from Hartford three years ago, between the Taxes and the heating cost and the overall cost of living.....I paid much more to live there than here. Its all relative!

04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Fl Cop/former Northerner...I don't know how you can make that claim. I lived in the Bradenton and Sarasota area for 7 years before I moved up north. Believe me when I tell you that it is more expensive to live in Florida than it is here up north. Case in point...the median price for a home in Hartford County (where you came from) is $256,000 dollars for a single family home. The median price for a single family home in Manatee/Sarasota/Venice area is $350,900 dollars. Renting an apartment in Florida is also WAY more expensive than up north.( I found that information in the April 5, 2007 USA Today newspaper) So in terms of housing, Florida is WAY more expensive. In terms of taxes, Manatee County's property tax is through the roof. It's so bad, your county commission is trying to lower the mill rate to help alleviate the stress of paying such high property taxes. Florida's tax on goods is 7% as compared to CT where it is 6%. Floridians also pay taxes on clothing where we northerners do not. The price of food is about the same in both places so that part of the equation is a wash. Also, the price of a beer in a bar is WAY higher in Florida. I remember paying an average of $3.75 for a bottle of Budweiser and that was 7 years ago. I can only imagine what it is today. Lastly, I have a few good friends left in Florida who tell me that EVERYTHING in Florida is overpriced. They tell me they can barely afford to live on the low salaries that they make. The point I was trying to make was that unions are great for raising pay and keeping management in check. Where I am now is great proof of that. The only thing Florida has over us is the weather! Actually, I'll give you guys an edge on police equipment too. We are far behind the south when it comes to technology of equipment. Stuff we had in Florida 10 years ago is now making it's way up north. I hope this clears up a few things for you. Thanks for listening and be safe.