PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else TIRED of transporting for probation ?

03-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Day in and day out, I respond to calls from dispatch saying that probation and parole needs one of us to come and transport one of their probation violators all the way out to the port.
For one, this ties up our officers. If we have one officer transporting for another supposed "law enforcement" agency and something serious goes down, what are the rest of us to do? Why doesn't probation/parole transport their own people out to the jail ? Did probation officer's not have to go through some sort of Law enforcement academy ? I'm sure that most of them had to go through some sort of background check to ensure that they don't have a poor driving record.. Why are we doing their job ?

Another thing, if we are going to transport their probation violators, than why can't they call us when they have about 3 or 4 of them to be taken to the port?
I have gone out to the probation office 3 times within two hours to pick up 3 different probation violators. Why won't they make our job easier by at least trying to consolidate the number of violators that we are transporting - For instance, if they would round up 2 or three same sex prob. violators and THEN call us, it wouldn't be so bad.

Just a rant, I am tired of being a chauffeur for probation.

03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
All of dayshift is tired of it! Including dispatch! It's an admin issue.

03-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Forget about about easier, transporting those clown is the easiest part of the day. The real problem is that they now have a full time LEO taxi cab paid by the taxpayers of Bradenton to do state work and not enforcement in the city. But I guess Bradenton is up to par with staffing.

03-14-2007, 02:12 PM
and now they have permission to just randomly come up on group 41 and request the transport if dispatch is busy and etc. or if the call for it has been holding a while...its total bs...some officers have a hard time not keying up to hear themselves call out a t50 in the middle of a strong armed robbery, and they have thier radio on....P&P isnt listening to our channel and can easily key up for the transport in the middle of an officer asking for help!! its ridiculous!
bottom line, last time i checked the police cars said "for emergencies- 911", not "for taxis- 911"

03-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Do not blame the officers, talk to the higher ups- they make all of these decisions.

As for calling when there are 3 or 4 there, 1st- there is no way to know that someone with a warrant will actually show up, sometimes, they are PCA'ed for something P & P never saw coming and 2nd- they are not allowed to cuff at that particluar officer, so it could become a 911 situation.

Talk to Tallahassee, your legislators-get them to fund these transport units and P&P at the local levels will gladly take it over!! But please do not blame the local officers. Making them wait or getting angry at them does no good. They have no control over the situation. Write your legislators to get this funded!

PS wait until the Anti-Murder Act is effected.

03-15-2007, 12:08 AM
I work as a probation officer in Pinellas County, and believe me, we feel your pain. No, seriously, we do. But please understand our hands are tied. Yes, we attended a LEO academy, however, we use our own vehicles to perform our field/home visits and cannot (and don't want to) carry offenders in our family cars. We've have asked over and over again to provide one van or beat up, run down old cop car to each office so we can transport our own arrests, but as you see, we get turned down year after year.

Our arrests come as predictable as yours does. We don't know day in to day out which case will require a probable cause arrest, which causes us to have to call for transport. Sometimes we know when warrants are active, but again, cannot predict if they will actually report to the office as instructed. We can't even tell them to turn themselves in at the jail (something I would prefer to do) because that too is against our policy.

What our local PD office did, after a few months of talks between the staff, is set an officer or two "aside" during the first week of the month. That's the main time offenders come in to report. No, we don't have one stationed in our parkinglot, but they tend to be a little heavier staffed in our area. Still, there are times we've waited over two hours for transport. Yes, it would make sense to hold two or three of them aside and handle it all at once, but you have to remember, we can't even handcuff them without a directive from God, and then we simply don't have the staff to sit and watch them (I have jokingly suggested a holding cell, but you can guess where that request gets me too!)

No one is happy over the way it's being done, and believe me when I tell you, we don't look at you guys as our "publicly funded taxi service". We appreciate all you do for us, whether it be a transport from the office, an arrest in the field, or to assist with a search.

So please, understand our frustration on this too. They command that we do certain things, ie, warrantless arrests, but don't give us the means to follow through with the task.

If no other PO has ever said it to you, or any LEO, we do appreciate what you all do to work with us to better public safety.

03-15-2007, 03:32 AM
im sure we all understand that it too isnt your fault nor is any of this ranting geared towards the probation officers....its just in general...as said before...legislators and higher ups are the ones we really need to be ranting too!

03-15-2007, 07:06 PM
i am a probation officer and i also feel your pain. we have a stupid job that is franky retarded with very low pay. did you all know that we have to buy our own firearms,buy our own polo shirts buy our own leather gear and drive our own cars to do field work. we have no step pay paln nor do we get any allowance to update gear or fix our vehciels. we have a really bad job that pays pennies on the dollar. i have 9 yrs and i make under 40 grand. we get no over time and cannot make any extra money. i brought home after tax in 2006 32 grand hows that. i am planning on going to a cross over class and trying to get into hcso or pcso. our staff and employees are not leo's and most of us dont know how to handcuff or shoot a gun. i feel that doc probation should have no certification becuase it just makes us a bunch of wantabees employed by a low budget crappy dept. if you think fhp or fwc have it bad its ten folds worse at doc probation. if you dont believe me stop by your local probation office and you will see its sad.

03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
have you seen that one probation officer you would think he was a gang officer or someting the way he dresses. :shock:

03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
we are not going to call the capital, most of us cops could care less about your job and i persoanlly think its a waste of money and should not have any certiifcation. the probation officers i have had contact with leave your job to become a cop after a few years anyway. i have noticed that the probation officers that stick around are useless. i persoanlly would not do your job for the money you all make.

03-15-2007, 08:46 PM
i am a probation officer and i also feel your pain. we have a stupid job that is franky retarded with very low pay. did you all know that we have to buy our own firearms,buy our own polo shirts buy our own leather gear and drive our own cars to do field work. we have no step pay paln nor do we get any allowance to update gear or fix our vehciels. we have a really bad job that pays pennies on the dollar. i have 9 yrs and i make under 40 grand. we get no over time and cannot make any extra money. i brought home after tax in 2006 32 grand hows that. i am planning on going to a cross over class and trying to get into hcso or pcso. our staff and employees are not leo's and most of us dont know how to handcuff or shoot a gun. i feel that doc probation should have no certification becuase it just makes us a bunch of wantabees employed by a low budget crappy dept. if you think fhp or fwc have it bad its ten folds worse at doc probation. if you dont believe me stop by your local probation office and you will see its sad.

wow, you post the same crap on the DOC page, and now here? what, looking for a new audience? good, because no one on the other page wants to hear your girly whining about how bad you have it.

just so you bradenton police know, this guy couldn't become a cop if he was the last applicant on earth. be glad, you certainly don't want him. but unfortunately, we're stuck with him because no one else wants him.

sigh.

03-15-2007, 10:30 PM
we are not going to call the capital, most of us cops could care less about your job and i persoanlly think its a waste of money and should not have any certiifcation. the probation officers i have had contact with leave your job to become a cop after a few years anyway. i have noticed that the probation officers that stick around are useless. i persoanlly would not do your job for the money you all make.

I would like to see you go out without a partner to somewhere such as duplex city with only your chemical agent and a flashlight, maybe a gun if you buy it. As for being useless, who would handle all of these sex offenders, etc, your department?? A lot of PO's stick around for the flexibility and a lot do not want to work holidays and shift work, etc.

Also, as PO's we get a lot of info you may not have. Call a PO for assistance instead of b####ing.

As I stated before, call the capital but do not take it out on the local PO's because they do not make these decisions!

03-16-2007, 02:50 PM
what a shame that we all just can't work together for a common goal of public safety without all of this "I'm better than you are crap" that goes on here. oh well, it's society's loss that we can be a team to get the garbage off the street, whether it be by a street cop arrest, a detective case, or by a peice of sh*t probation officer getting a warrant signed and a known felony offender off the streets.

03-16-2007, 04:45 PM
GET OFF THIS BOARD DOC PROBATION WHINE BAGS YOU WORSE THEN THE CRIMINALS :shock: GO TO CHECKERS LEFT SIDE IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY :D

03-16-2007, 08:27 PM
GET OFF THIS BOARD DOC PROBATION WHINE BAGS YOU WORSE THEN THE CRIMINALS :shock: GO TO CHECKERS LEFT SIDE IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY :D

ah, yes, the king has spoken. cops are the best, everyone else in this world sucks. me included, I guess.
geez, you guys really ought to learn to get over yourselves.
ps-not with probation or leo, just a citizen from manatee co who heard about this board.

03-22-2007, 12:27 AM
As a probation officer, we have no control when warrants become active on people. We do appreciate the officers who respond. We need to work together not apart.
What would happen if for example the BPD did not show to the office to assist and the guy went bullistic and killed? Would you all feel sorry? The offenders we deal with are not model citizens of the county. They are the robbers, drug dealers, rapists, murderers, etc. We are the one that have to go to their homes. Some of the places we have to go in are crack houses.
Again we do appreciate the assistence that are given to us.