PDA

View Full Version : Law Degrees

03-10-2007, 04:27 AM
How Many Deputies have them??

And from where?

I heard Novasoutheastern in Ft Lauderdale has a 5 year plan.

03-23-2007, 05:21 PM
law degrees, ha!

04-29-2007, 06:40 PM
How Many Deputies have them??

And from where?

I heard Novasoutheastern in Ft Lauderdale has a 5 year plan.

Most of the deputies who have pursued law degrees have left the agency. One lieutenant received his from Univ of Miami and is still with us. Another lieutenant is currently obtaining his from Nova. Nova offers a part-time plan, but it's not 5 years.

05-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Juris Doctorate degree is not worth it in LE unless u plan to leave. Especially since most cops will go to a private school (Nova, UM, etc), then you have 90k in loan debt and a tier 3 or 4 law degree. Unless you can get into UF or FSU, which is 100% full time, balls to the wall law school, I think it is a waste of time. Nevermind the fact that getting into UF law is about as hard as getting into an ivy league now. I'd prefer a masters in Public Admin. More useful in a LE career and much cheaper.

Obviously ive had the same question as you at some point. This is what I came up with. Hoorah for any deputy that spends the time, money and brain power to get their JD. Just remember, were cops first out here.

05-05-2007, 12:35 AM
get your degree and join my firm: Dewey Cheetam and Howe!!

11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Just a quick note here. UF is the only top tier law school in Florida. Both UM and FSU are 2nd tier, Nova and Stetson 3rd tier. What "tier" law school you attend means very little.
With that said, I can assure you that ALL law schools are "balls to the wall" education, regardless of part-time or full-time. And, where you go to law school means less as you become more experienced.
I know lawyers who graduated from FIU ( a brand new Florida law school) who are excellent, and I worked with a Columbia Law grad who couldn't find his way home at night.
You are right about one thing....it is expensive. However FIU is the lowest and is actually reasonable right now ($7-9 thousand per year I believe). And they ahve a night school, which Miami no longer has.

11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I think most of them at the SAO got them from a cereal box

11-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Former D/S Kevin Markowski got his law degree at Lynn Univesity in Miami. He had to leave PBSO to attend school full time.

11-03-2007, 05:38 AM
Former D/S Kevin Markowski got his law degree at Lynn Univesity in Miami. He had to leave PBSO to attend school full time.

There is a name I haven't heard in a while.
Great guy!
Does anyone know how he is doing and where he is?

11-03-2007, 11:28 PM
One lieutenant received his from Univ of Miami and is still with us.

isnt he a captain now?

11-05-2007, 02:11 AM
Does anyone know where Markowski earned his law degree? It wasn't Lynn University. Lynn does not have a law school. If he earned it in Miami, it's either UM or St. Thomas.

Only 3 deputies have ever earned their JD while working at PBSO. Two have left and one is still here. Many others have tried, but apparently found the path too treacherous. It has to be very challenging. I remember Mark and Rolo working through their programs. It's obviously not for everyone.

I'm not sure about the earlier poster's comment about an MPA being preferred over a JD. I don't think there would be any comparison, but I wouldn't know for sure. If you doubt what I'm saying, just ask Mark Bannon. He has both. A JD is not "required" for law enforcement, but it's becoming much more common now. Chief of Boynton P.D. has J.D. and so does the Chief & one of his Captains at the School Board.

Just as a side note, Ex-Deputy Kenney Eggelstein tried law school, but dropped out after his first semester.

11-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Kevin attended St. Thomas (in Miami) for law.