PDA

View Full Version : FAQ's about CCSO Employment

mod 167
03-05-2007, 09:36 PM
This thread has been created to help others find information about employment at CCSO or to learn more about CCSO in general. If you have questions about CCSO please feel free to ask it here and someone will respond with the answer.

Please only ask genuine questions about the CCSO. Members and Guest who wish to respond to questions, please keep your answers professional and limited to factual information.

As seen in previous threads, certain information posted may have the potential to invoke passionate discussions. The intent of this thread is to provide professional factual information about CCSO and the employment aspect simple, accurate and easy to read.

Should you feel that further discussion is needed about something you read here please start a new thread. This will allow for in-depth discussions without compromising the intent of this thread.

For more information on Employment and Careers at CCSO please feel free to visit our new website at:
http://www.colliersheriff.org

We believe that we are the BEST Sheriff's Office in Florida! To take a peek inside our agency, visit our homepage on YouTube. To view videos about CCSO just click on the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/colliercountysheriff

CCSO also has thier own web page on MySpace. To view what is going on in MySpace.com just click the following link:
http://www.myspace.com/colliercountysheriff

As always, thank you for your interest and professional participation.

Mod 167

03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
I am interested in applying for Collier, but I am a bit concerned over the recent talk about Cop's giving Cop's tickets and Internal Affairs actively targeting members. Is there any truth to this?

03-07-2007, 02:30 AM
I am not sure this post should be on the FAQ sticky, but here goes-

As far as deputies ticketing each other, sadly this has happened on rare, specific occasions.However, these incidents had a number of other circumstances surrounding them and should not be taken as an indicator of relations within the department. The normal course of events is that professional courtesy is extended, hands are shaken, and we go our separate ways. We are a family, and we treat each other as such. This sort of thing does not occur here any more than in any other large agency, and in fact probably less than in a number of places...

The Professional Responsibility Bureau DOES actively target members- if they are committing crimes and violating policies. This is part of their job.
They actively investigate complaints and allegations, as they should. We police ourselves, which we must, considering the level of public scrutiny we find ourselves under. By the same token, the PRB folks, in my experience, DO NOT automatically assume the members guilt. We may often feel that the investigations take too long, and sometimes we don't all agree with the outcome, especially when it affects our freinds, but with all things considered, the level of public trust we enjoy at CCSO is a direct reflection of CCSO taking care of its own business.

Bottom line, if you are considering CCSO, this should not concern you, as long as you are honest and plan on doing what you are supposed to do...

03-10-2007, 05:14 AM
I've got a few questions.

1. What is the recruiters email address. I've tried contacting HR and they have been little to no help. I know CCSO has a recruiter and I would like to ask her a few questions concerning my situation.

2. Where I work now, we are allowed to use our agency vehicles off-duty for personal use within the county. Yes there are drawbacks, but with the way gas prices are going it's a pretty nice luxury. Any chance CCSO will adport a similar policy anytime in the near future?

3. Curious what exactly your pursuit policy is.

03-10-2007, 04:56 PM
To my knowledge, we don't actually have a full-time "recruiter"....We are all pretty much recruiters for the agency, as they give us a $1,000. for each person we refer who gets hired on. We do have a recruitment committee drawn from different divisions that assembles the recruitment campaign and goes to the job fairs, etc.
The way our process works, you turn in an initial application, at which time you are assigned a liasion person from HR who then shepards you through the process and becomes your agency contact. after the intial app, you are scheduled for a board interview. you then undergo a polygraph, a physical exam, a psych eval, a physical agility test and other pre-hire processes. These events occur at scheduled times, and they work with you if you need to change a day or time.
as far as nut and bolt job related questions, the HR people might not know some of the answers. In that case, you can ask questions here, stop almost any deputy you see ( if you happen to be in Collier) or, and this is probably the best thing, arrange for a ride along. For info on that, just call the main Sheriff's Office number and they will get you to the right person.
We have pretty liberal off-duty in-county use of our vehicles, with certain conditions, including monitoring the radio, stopping out to help people if they flag us down, etc. If you are going to transport the kids you need to fill out a form every year to get a waiver to do it, but it is mostly a formality. They know we have families and they work with us on it.
The pursuit policy is a couple of pages long, so I will summarize it for you. We can pursue for felonies, traffic misdemeanors, and in some cases infractions. When you call a pursuit, you will have to immediately provide the reason for the stop, the traffic conditions, the road/weather conditions, speed, direction of travel and any other relevant info (like driving pattern, is he waving a gun out the window, etc.) At that time the supervisor will make a determination as to the continuation of the pursuit.
A lot of the decision will be based on the offense coupled with the traffic conditions and speed. I have seen pursuits for fairly minor offenses be allowed to continue on open roads with no traffic, where the same pursuit would have been terminated at rush hour. It mostly comes down to public safety and common sense.
We have stop sticks and they are used often. As of this writing, CCSO has not yet adopted the PIT manuever, but it is supposedly in the works. Having said that, based on circumstances, it all depends. The supervisors, and by extension the deputies, are given enormous latitude, as long as they act responsibly.

I am sorry this ran so long, but hopefully I was able to answer some of your questions. Please post anything else you want to know about, everyone here welcomes the opportunity to be of service.

Good Luck!

03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
How long does it take to get into a special assignment, like a plain clothes position? I am a bit burnt out of patrol (call to call) and would rather focus on putting the bad guys in jail. I don't enjoy working traffic!!

oldschool
03-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Generally, you must have completed your 1 year probationary period (during which you will be assigned to Patrol) to be able to apply to a specialized unit. The specialized units each have their own competitive process to gain the postions.

03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
oldschool, I have been up in ia many times and been around for many years, I have never seen ia "target" anyone.

03-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Sounds good. Glad there are some brothers on here that can clear up things for me. How are the defense attorneys in Colllier? Any problems with depo's, trials and such? Not looking to spend a lot of time in court. Here in north florida, we pretty much have the run and dont have much trouble with 'em.

03-12-2007, 06:22 AM
So you are allowed to use your cars off duty within the county? I was always under the impression that yall couldn't use them except for training or duty related tasks. Even the web page states that.

Do any of you know what the process is for someone coming back to CCSO that use to work there? I'm dual certified but only worked in the jail for Collier. Left to take a job on the road elsewhere in the state. May consider coming back to Collier due to family reasons, but not interested in starting back up in the jail. I know going from the jail to the road requires everything short of an application being submitted, so regardless I would have to go through the entire testing process again. I left on good standings with 2+ weeks notice and am curious if I would retain the seniority/pay I had when I left, or if I would start over from Day 1.

oldschool
03-14-2007, 12:46 AM
If you have road experience, you would go to the road. Your pay rate would depend on tears of experience.
You would have to endure the application process all over again, and upon appointment you would have to do a full 12 week/ 44 Daily Observation Report FTO cycle.
As for seniority, on the road it is based on the date you clear FTO on the road (there is no points system like in the jail).
You would get the same ID # you had before.
If you left in good standing and didn't accumulate any skeletons since you left, I am sure the agency would welcome you back, so by all means, put the paper in, we need ya!

03-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Work for a small PD here in Fl. looking to apply with CCSO. Worried greatly about cost of living. As a Probationee can you work off duty or do have to wait until you have completed the 1 yr probation?

whats on the table for next contract neg. pay raise ect?

03-16-2007, 12:54 AM
We do not have a union so we get pay raises every year!

As for working off-duty, you can do that as soon as you are released from you FTO status, have your vehicle assigned to you and are working as a deputy.

In regards it the cost of living issues, it is expensive here but we continue to hire new members and they make it work so there is hope for you. Prices of homes are falling and you may have to rent at first till you are through training and can work the OT.

Good luck,

03-19-2007, 12:57 PM
How readily available are the details? Also, what kind of details do you all get?

03-21-2007, 04:58 AM
I would REALLY like to know how often and how many people the hire and sponsor through the academy for the road. The website states they do it, the recruiters state they do it, but ive never seen it. Im assuming you have to be a friend of the sheriff to get sponsored through. I have a 4 year degree and was told no road, everyone goes to the jail. I said NO THANK YOU. I applied to 3 agencies in lee county and was offered road jobs at all 3, and am now wrking for one. When i interviewed for each and they asked where else you applied they all rolled their eyes when they heard the collier story and said thats always how it is. I also met tons of people that are working up here on the road without working in a jail that all were turned down by collier and are great people. Ive also met people that worked in the jail and were told time after time 2 years and then the road, they stated it was promised and never came and they left, some after 3 years of being promised.

I'm not mad at that policy at all, if you want your people to go through the jail than thats great. But don't waste people's time by telling them they have a chance when you all down right know its not going to happen. It appears you have a great agency and everyone is happy there, well thats great, but i would never even consider transfering there or even looking into it again or recomending people try it as long as they advertise you have the possibility of going to the road and nce in your in the interview attempt to persuade you to go to the jail.

I would respect them much much more if they simply state "uncertified individuals will only be sponsored through the jail."

03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Some have gone right to the road. Maybe they had a masters degree or had prior military police or out of state experience. Bottom line is... the road is no prize pony. It's a job when you get over having a gun and badge. Many people I was in the jail with are now Captains or Lieutenants. The sergeants in there I have never even heard of before. The quick path to rank is in the jail. If it's not for you that's ok. It took me over five years to get to the road but you know what?.....I have 25 years to fill with different postions here. Going right to the road will burn you out and you'll never have the luxury of boosting your income over 100K a year by working o.t. in there after you transfer out. No one PROMISED anything, but I still grin when I get that paycheck and wonder what other position I'll put in for next. Sometimes the anticipation for something you really want is more fun than when you get it.

03-22-2007, 01:48 AM
I agree with your fustrations. I unfortunately experienced it myself firsthand. I have a spotless background, numerous years as military police, 2 yr CJ degree, and been approved my FDLE for the LEO EOT class. I only got offered the jail. I ended up taking it, but got really upset when I went to orientation and saw a 23 yr old female straight out of college with no experience being sponsored through the LE academy. In my CO academy class we also had a marine with a 4 yr degree and another female who was a dispatcher for another agency with a 4 year degree, all going into the jail. I feel like they flip a coin and that decides your fate.

I've since left and work on the road with another SO a few hours away. I have absolutely no complaints with CCSO after I started working there. Very professional agency, but they have some serious issues with their hiring process. Worse part is they couldn't even tell me why, other than that is all you were offered.

04-02-2007, 12:39 PM
numerous years as military police, 2 yr CJ degree, and been approved my FDLE for the LEO EOT class

31B time isn't comparable to civillian leo time. Stop believing it is.

2yr degree...........Most people have this and more

LEO EOT......so what.

04-21-2007, 07:16 AM
THE PROBLEM WITH THIS AGENCY IS THEY ARE SO INCONSISTANT WITH EVERYTHING! I HAVE BEEN PRODUCT OF THIS AS A BENIFIT AND AS A VICTIM. OTHER THAN THE INCONSISTANCY THIS AGENCY IS GOOD OVERALL TO ITS MEMBERS.

Curios George
04-22-2007, 02:44 AM
Inconsistencies can be viewed in two separate ways. When dealing with inanimate objects it is a bad thing since everything SHOULD be the same. BUT, when you deal in people, it should not be the same since every situation should be judged on its own merits.

I do not know about you but I do not want to work for an agency that has a cookie-cutter method of punishment.

Again, just my thoughts…

04-22-2007, 07:28 AM
IT WOULD BE NICE AND CONSISTANT IF "ALL" SERGEANTS PROMOTED WOULD AT LEAST TAKE AND PASS A TEST, THAT THE OUT OF COUNTY TAKE HOME CAR POLICY ADHERED TO "ALL" MEMBERS, AND I CAN THINK OF MANY MORE. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT HUMAN NATURE IS VERSED AND COMPLEX AND THAT EXCEPTIONS SHOULD BE TOLERATED, HOWEVER A CERTAIN LEVEL OF CONSISTANCY WOULD MAKE THINGS LESS FRUSTRATING AND HELP LOWER RESENTMENT IN OUR AGENCY.
MAYBE THIS IS JUST THE NATURE OF THE BEAST!

04-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Has anyone used the "open door policy"?

04-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I did once a long time ago with the Undersheriff. This was several years ago and although the ultimate outcome of why I went there didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, the overall experience was good. He made me feel at home. Took his time with all of my questions and concerns helped me see a larger picture without trying to change my mind about anything and gave me encouragemnent that seemed to work because I'm still here and finally doing the job I wanted to do back then. I would recommend it. Whoever you talk to will probably give you the same respect and time ( several hours ) in their office and go over anything you want to discuss. It's a nice break from the day to day operations of whatever you do and the people you work with and you'll actually learn alot of what the "admin" folks are doing. I still look back on that day with appreciation. All you have to do is call and make an appointment. If you're going to go on duty time, give your supervisor a heads up. He or she can't deny or approve it but it's just good sense to let them know what's going on.

skibum81
05-14-2007, 02:53 AM
About three weeks ago I sent in my application to Collier for road patrol. I am LEO certified with a bachelors degree, and some road experience, not much though. I wondering two things. The first is since i am LEO certified will I be able to go right to the road? My second question is that since I have moved out of the state, I will have to come back to Naples to do all my testing in one week. How long after my testing is done do you guys offically hire the candidate? Thanks.

P.S. Also if someone could private message, I have another question I want to ask, but not out loud.

Curios George
05-14-2007, 08:51 AM
I sent a PM reference his question

mod 167
11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I just saw this on another thread and thought it would be a great addition to our CCSO Employment thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYRlADFV ... ed&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYRlADFVlh8&mode=related&search=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB_-UVgW ... ed&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB_-UVgWJFA&mode=related&search=)

Mod 167

mod 167
11-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Check out the new CCSO web site at:

www.colliersheriff.org (http://www.colliersheriff.org)

The agency did a very good job on the upgrades. It looks good and is easy to navigate through the site and find what you are looking for.

If anyone has any questions about employment with CCSO please feel free to ask them here on this forum or contact our Human Resources Department at:

OFFICE HOURS: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday

PHONE: 239.793.9212 or toll free at 1.877.670.jobs (5627)

FAX: 239.793.9181

E-MAIL: jobs@colliersheriff.org

ADDRESS: Collier County Sheriff’s Office
Human Resources
3301 Tamiami Trail E, Building J-1
Naples, FL 34112

Mod 167

03-07-2008, 11:58 PM
How much is top pay for Jail Deputy and how long to get there?
I have both leo and co experience. I prefer the jail because it allows more family time for me. I know I would start out with 43 k due to my experience. I am Fl state certified in Corrections.

04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I was a 95C (army jailer). Will they hire me?

04-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Well that would depend on how well you pass the polygraph, psych exam, background investigation, interview etc...

I guess if you pass the hiring process then you would be hired. The real question is would the agency give you credit or count your years in the military as prior experience. If the answer is yes then you would start out above starting pay.

How much is top pay for rank and years of service can only be answered by H.R. or finance. I forget what the actual numbers are.

Good luck and just apply, you have nothing to loose if your currently unemployed.

05-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I live out of state and have filed the nessecary paper work and have been told I hae an interview with CCSO. I have over 7 yrs of patrol experiance. Do you have to live within the county to have a take home? Do they allow their deputies to work off duty security? A good friend of mine here just became a K-9 officer for my last department, how hard is it to becomae a K-9 officer with CCSO?

veteranrookie
05-05-2008, 07:03 PM
I live out of state and have filed the nessecary paper work and have been told I hae an interview with CCSO. I have over 7 yrs of patrol experiance. Do you have to live within the county to have a take home? Do they allow their deputies to work off duty security? A good friend of mine here just became a K-9 officer for my last department, how hard is it to becomae a K-9 officer with CCSO?

Yes, you must live in county to take home the car.

Yes, deputies are allowed to work 2nd jobs, only it can't interfere with your appointment to the CCSO. This is usually a case by case thing that is scrutinized by the uppers.

Not difficult at all to move into lateral positions throughout our agency. It is competitive though. Keep in mind that you will spend a minimum amount of time in regular uniform patrol before you are allowed to transfer into other specialized units within the dept. Those minimum standards are always outlined in the opening position announcement and are published agency wide when the position becomes available. From what I've heard the K-9 school down here ain't no joke and our K-9 unit is top notch.

Hope this helped. Good luck on your interview.

05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all your help. I look forward to working with this agency. I have done alot of research on this agency and it has been hard to decide between this agency Monroe County and of course Key West PD. I look forward to working with the deputies of this agency.

05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Well it looks like i will be there on the 25th and stay thru the 30th. i have an interview with the SO. Is naples a hard place to get around in if you are not familiar with the area? What is there to do while in Naples other than go to the beautiful white sanded beaches. If any one can help me out with some questions I have then that would be great. My email is lawdawg24@aol.com. I have heard nothing but great things about this county.

05-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Just curious, but is the SO still in a hiring freeze? From what I had heard last month they are doing interviews, but no processing. Is that still the case? Thanks for an answer.

05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
It's hard to say about a hiring freeze, everyone has a different opinion or source for their info. Call 239-774-4434, ask for Human Resources and ask them what positions they are taking applications for. They'd have the best answer for you.

veteranrookie
05-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Just curious, but is the SO still in a hiring freeze? From what I had heard last month they are doing interviews, but no processing. Is that still the case? Thanks for an answer.

The way it's been explained to me is that we're currently not in a hiring freeze but the number of people going from applicant to appointment has slowed. It's my understanding that as an applicant you are entered into a hiring pool and they pull from that pool of qualified applicants as needed. So it's more like take a number and grab a snickers 'cause you're going to be there awhile.

05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
So if they are grabbing applicants that are qualified to do an interview with, does that mean they have the best shot of being hired. Don't get me wrong and I don't want to sound like bragging because I have an interview with them, but from what I have been reading on here is that if you have an interview consider it a compliment and you are pretty much hired. Is there any truth to this because I look forward to working with a great bunch of guys and for a fun department. Sounds like you guys get into alot of fun.

veteranrookie
05-19-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I've heard the Sheriff say that we only hire about 3% of our interviewed applicants.

What that translates to me is that we only want the best and brightest. So to have made it beyond the interview is an achievement. Congrats if you are at that point and if not, then keep trying.

The competiveness for a job at the Collier County SO continues on after employment and rightfully so. These are some of the reasons why you hear that this agency is top notch. It's staffed with professionals.

06-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Well I had my interview last wensday and I felt pretty good about it. I have heard that if you get past the interview process you can pretty much guess you have the job. Does anyone have an idea if this statement is true or not? I am hoping since I drove from out of state (1400 miles) just to do this interview. I would not think they would bring anyone from out of state and not hire them.

06-01-2008, 11:21 PM
What would be the chance for the CCSO to help pay for part of the trip to Naples. Either pay for a round trip ticket or pay for a hotel room. Can anyone answer this for me.

06-01-2008, 11:53 PM
What would be the chance for the CCSO to help pay for part of the trip to Naples. Either pay for a round trip ticket or pay for a hotel room. Can anyone answer this for me.

Doubtful since we are not hurting for applicants for the few openings we have, but check the website or call HR to be sure. 239-774-4434.

06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
what is there to expect after passing the interview phase. I was told by HR they waive the Physical Agility test for the time being but I have 30 days from date of hire to pass it. Does this mean I am getting offeredc a position with CCSO?

veteranrookie
06-10-2008, 06:59 AM
what is there to expect after passing the interview phase. I was told by HR they waive the Physical Agility test for the time being but I have 30 days from date of hire to pass it. Does this mean I am getting offeredc a position with CCSO?

There are quite a few other things that will happen after the interview. It's been a while for me so don't quote me on the exact order of things.

There will be a background investigation, a polygraph, a psychological exam, and a physical exam (that includes the blood and pee test).

You will know you are getting offered a job at CCSO when you sign a "Conditional Offer of Employment" for the job that you applied for. The Conditional Offer is standard practice and is the CCSO's way of saying that this position is available to you.

It will be a "hurry up and wait" game from the interview forward so just roll with the schedule you are given and before you know it, you're in (that is, of course, if you are one of the chosen few...).

06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks I appreciate all the advice you have gave me. Will they give me an offer the week I am there and have done all the tests. Because if not they will have to mail one to me.

Veteran you have been the most helpful since I have been on here. I can not wait for the oppertunity to work with you on the streets.

parrothead
06-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I live out of state and have now bought a plane ticket to be back in Naples on the 22nd on this month. I am doing my poly, med screening, and pysc screening. Is this a pretty good indication that I have a job with the CCSO? I have nothing to hide but have never taken a poly before. I am feeling alittle nervous about this but not worried about anything.

Would it be possable to be able to do a ride along while in NAples for the week. I will be leaving the 27th to come back home hoping to pack and get ready to move to Naples.

AKOVENDETTA
06-13-2008, 02:54 AM
I live out of state and have now bought a plane ticket to be back in Naples on the 22nd on this month. I am doing my poly, med screening, and pysc screening. Is this a pretty good indication that I have a job with the CCSO? I have nothing to hide but have never taken a poly before. I am feeling alittle nervous about this but not worried about anything.

Would it be possable to be able to do a ride along while in NAples for the week. I will be leaving the 27th to come back home hoping to pack and get ready to move to Naples.

It is great that you have so much enthusiasm about the job, but this isn't the place to ask for permission for a ride along. HR is the place to call during the day to answer all your legitimate questions. If you are out of state, they try to squeeze everything into one day to save you time and money. Applicants must pass all the tests, not just take them to get a job. There are more applicants than jobs, so be patient.

parrothead
06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I appreciate your comments. You have to have patients to do this job or you will not make it.

06-22-2008, 04:42 PM
What are the shifts and days off if you are offered the jail. Do you have overtime there?

parrothead
07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Why does one have to wait for 4 yrs. to reapply? i believe that is a good way to loose some good officers due to a poly examiner's decision to not take an officer because of being intemidated by the officer. I jsut can't seem to fathon a department that would do this. Usually it is a 6 month wait or a 1 yr wait to reapply.

07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Why does one have to wait for 4 yrs. to reapply? i believe that is a good way to loose some good officers due to a poly examiner's decision to not take an officer because of being intemidated by the officer. I jsut can't seem to fathon a department that would do this. Usually it is a 6 month wait or a 1 yr wait to reapply.

So, you didn't pass the poly because you were intimidated by the officer? The guy works for the agency you want to get hired by, he is one of the good guys. What are you going to do on the street when someone asks you where the casino is, pee your pants? You have to wait a year like everyone else. Also, did you spell that well on your application and make a good first impression too? They aren't even hiring any road patrol deputies now, only dispatchers and selectively correction deputies, with priority given to those with over one year previous experience.

03-21-2009, 03:08 PM
I have been on the ready to be hired list since 2008 and still waiting for information on being hired. I checking in with HR every couple of months and get no answers. I know with article 1 the funding for the county has been cut and the new Sheriff is getting his feet wet. With the new COPS grants is there any idea of putting new deputies on the road .

03-21-2009, 05:38 PM
No chance. We're trying to get rid of people to meet budget. What COPS grants??? Move on man, the other shoe dropped and there is NO money. Even in 2008, people with years of LEO experience considered themselves lucky to get hired for the jail. Now even that's probably not a possibility.

Paparazzi LEO
03-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Looking for answers -

I would bet that you will not see any hiring for LEO until after the new fiscal year in Oct 09. It will not be until then that the Sheriff has an idea to what cuts need to be made to meet a shrinking budget. Attrition slots will need to be filled at some point but it is anyones guess as to when.

All I can say is be patient and hang on...it is worth the wait to work for this agency!

Good luck

04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
What was the final number of LEO that took the buy outs? And this there any talk about replacing them? Thanks for help!

(I believe the final number was around 30 persons - Mod 167)

04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Any talk about replacing the Leos that took the buy out?

Paparazzi LEO
05-15-2009, 02:57 AM
You can put an app in and go through the process. If you make it they will put you on a list for the next available. Problem is that there is no telling when that will be right now. They are still hiring for the jail last I saw so as usual that maybe your only way in the door if you are set on coming to Naples.

Good luck, this is a great place to work and well worth the wait or effort! :!:

06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Are there any rumors about putting leos on the job?

Curios George
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Are there any rumors about putting leos on the job?

Pap Leo already answered your question.
Nothing has changed in two weeks.
Put in an app and be placed on a list.
That is all that you can do if you want to work here.
As he said, it is a great place to work and well worth the wait if you are able.

06-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Okay.....you have room in D-1 for a returnee? If you offer D-2,D-3,D4,D-7,D8 I will stay put!! Grass is green in D-1!!

08-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Hr told me that there will be no hiring for corrections for at least 18 to 24 months, sound about right?

10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Human Resources stated that the department will be hiring Leos next month , has anyone heard how many LEOs? Thank You! (On the ready to be hired list for 16 months now)

veteranrookie
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Human Resources stated that the department will be hiring Leos next month , has anyone heard how many LEOs? Thank You! (On the ready to be hired list for 16 months now)

To hear that they are processing applicants for hire again is news to me but it sounds like very good news! It's not like we couldn't use the help out here.

If I can offer any advice it would be this: Keep a good rapport with HR. Ask this question of them or make a list of all the questions you have and make an appointment with them to get the answers. Don't feel like you're bothering someone in that office by asking a lot of questions. Part of their job is to keep you informed about the process. They are very approachable there. Good luck, I hope you make the cut.

10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
I heard the same thing. I have been on the approved to hired list for 16 months. i am in the top 10. :D

03-31-2010, 04:53 AM
UPDATE. They will not be hiring anyone for a long time. They need to cut the budget another 7 to 10 million. there are approx. 135 vacant positions. They are going to offer another early retirement pachage to help trim some more money.. Those looking to work here. Good luck. I am going on two and still waiting in the top 10.

Paparazzi LEO
03-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Cutting another 7 to 10 million is unrealistic!! We have not had a pay raise in over 3 years. The cost of living continues to go up and if the County Commissioners do not stop their rediculous demands on public service, then the vacancies will begin to grow at even a higher rate without having to offer early buy-outs!

Enough is enough already. Radio channels are being patched every night because we do not have enough dispatchers. Squads are short and when someone is sick or takes vacation, your back-up unit no longer exists. Districts are having to send cars to other districts to cover calls because there are not enough units to cover more than one priority call at a time.

Before we start offering to give up more money out of our budget I think the county commissioners need to get out of their office and come ride-a-long a few nights to see for themselves!

Hang in there Guy from up north. We want you here just as much as you want to be here!

03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
I am hanfing. getting florida certified this summer to make it easier for them to pick me up. See ya. Be SAFE

05-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Ok, what is the matter with this picture? They want to spend 130M for the gamble of new jobs to help boost the tax base. But in the past 2 years they have not hired. The 2009 budget listed 122 unfilled positions, plus 40 + by outs in 2009, + another 20 + buyouts so far this year. And let not forget those 15 plus that were fired. and for argument sake another 10 that either left this for another job or took retirement before buyouts. So just some quick math here. That is roughly over 200 + positions not filled/open. How do they expect to maintain a happy work-motivated force and the quality of life that the residence have come to expect. They money they are saving is not worth the damage they are causing. They are all numbers that are known. Some of these positions include state mandated positions. The employees are becoming overworked and burned out. Which all leads to public safety and officer safety. Can anyone anwser how they can do this. :evil:

05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Word from personnel. Not hiring for another 18 to 24 months. BUT they are processessing people to be auxliary deputies. Do the job and don't get paid. Then when the money is avail. (18 to 24) they will be the first to be hired. So anyone on a list waiting to be hired. Go for work for free first and then in a couple years you'll get your job. :?

01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Any word on hiring? it has been quiet on here. Any new buyouts this spring? update on vacant positions. Any info will be helpful. Thanks for any information. Be safe my brothers.

01-26-2011, 03:16 PM
I am a Sergeant in Ohio with 11yrs exp. 34yrs old and considering a move to the area. I would like to ask a current employee a few questions if someone could email me ktoy@gmx.com.

Thanks

Curios George
01-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I am a Sergeant in Ohio with 11yrs exp. 34yrs old and considering a move to the area. I would like to ask a current employee a few questions if someone could email me ktoy@gmx.com.

Thanks

kTOY, If you do not get any responses, register a screen name and send me a private message (PM). Some may not email you just to ensure they remain annonymous.

CG

05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Any new updates? Last i heard from personel was that they finished up hiring off of the inside list. Those people already working for the county. I am fla. certified and have been waiting for more then two years> i know there are 200 positions. If anyone can give some input i would appreciate it.

Curios George
05-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Any new updates? Last i heard from personel was that they finished up hiring off of the inside list. Those people already working for the county. I am fla. certified and have been waiting for more then two years> i know there are 200 positions. If anyone can give some input i would appreciate it.

Unfortunately our agency is going through more cuts. From what I hear, we will not be hiring for open positions on the road for another year or more. Thanks to our new governor, public service and this state is SCREWED!!! All he and the public sees is the price tag and does not consider the long term cost / effects of his policies, plans or actions!

If you want to get your foot into the door may I suggest you consider getting a civilian job and becoming an auxillary deputy until the time comes that we begin to hire again. Good luck brother!!

Train4Pain
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Greetings to all,

I am new to the forum and have an important question. My dream is to become a police officer/under cover. I have applied at many departments and always been turned down due to a problem in my background. However, I applied at Collier and have been accepted as a Jail Deputy.

I am currently employed in a civilian job with a great schedule, larger base salary and plenty of OT but it is a job, not a career. I would have to relocate for the Jail Deputy possition.

I have some questions that I hope an informed Deputy can answer honeslty.

Will getting hired in the jail actually get me closer to my goal? How long will it take if it is my primary mission?
Will working as a Jail Deputy make me more attractive to another agency that may have turned me down vs going to school? (I have some college credits now)

Will it get me closer to my goal or am I in for a dead end at the jail where any shortcommings in my past will eventually keep me "less competitive" and in the jail for more than 2yrs?

Thank you

I appologise for the long post but it is a tough decision with these questions unanswered.

Curios George
09-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Greetings to all,

I am new to the forum and have an important question. My dream is to become a police officer/under cover. I have applied at many departments and always been turned down due to a problem in my background. However, I applied at Collier and have been accepted as a Jail Deputy.

I am currently employed in a civilian job with a great schedule, larger base salary and plenty of OT but it is a job, not a career. I would have to relocate for the Jail Deputy possition.

I have some questions that I hope an informed Deputy can answer honeslty.

Will getting hired in the jail actually get me closer to my goal? How long will it take if it is my primary mission?
Will working as a Jail Deputy make me more attractive to another agency that may have turned me down vs going to school? (I have some college credits now)

Will it get me closer to my goal or am I in for a dead end at the jail where any shortcommings in my past will eventually keep me "less competitive" and in the jail for more than 2yrs?

Thank you

I appologise for the long post but it is a tough decision with these questions unanswered.

I call BS to your post!! You are just trying to stir the pot so go take your crap somewhere else.

Train4Pain
05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
You call BS to my post? Why would this post offend anyone?

Either way...Can someone please answer the question?

Is CCSO legit about transferring out to the road? Whats the process?

Any info is appreciated.

05-07-2014, 02:04 AM
You may want to consider keeping your current job. :snicker:

05-07-2014, 12:22 PM
You may want to consider keeping your current job. :snicker:

Thanks for the reply. Why do you say that? Can you please elaborate?

Also, do you work for CCSO?

05-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Don't listen to these posts. Read what they have to offer in previous posts and you can see they are bleeding with cynicism.
To answer your question, yes, the CCSO is good about using the jail as a starting point. Some choose to make it a career, some move onto the road, some go to the jail and find they absolutely hate law enforcement and leave the profession. The bottom line is we get some of our best road deputies from the jail. In there they have to learn how to manage criminals with words and presence, not guns on their hips. They are always in video, so every move they make is recorded and second guessed. It is a testing ground for the agency. If you do well, work hard, keep out of trouble and get the attention of the executive level, as openings on the road come up they give jail personnel preference over those with no experience. If you have no experience, and it sounds like you have none, this is about the only way to break thru the ceiling and get experience. Conversely, if you are an empty suit, no ambition, no drive or no initiative, you'll be found out very soon. The jail members will call you to task quickly.
Generally you will make upwards of $75K with the O.T. if you are willing to work it. It will be hard on the family, the hours are terrible, but law enforcement is a passion.
Will this make you more marketable with other agencies? Likely only if you want to transfer to another jail. Experience in our jail will not generally translate to another agency's need for LEO's. Hope this helps.

Unregistered
03-09-2016, 03:01 AM
How many road deputies is CCSO down

Unregistered - Guacho
02-01-2017, 03:27 AM
Hello guys, not sure if this thread is still being checked, any insight about openings right now ? Anyone applying now for road or jail ??

Unregistered
05-05-2017, 01:57 AM
Is it true a CCSO deputy can make a lot of extra money on the side from the thousand island drug trade?

Unregistered
05-17-2017, 12:33 AM
YES WE HAVE MANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY REPORTS THEY R HELPING THE DRUG TRADE AND R CORUPT AS HELL,,LEE COUNTY AND COLLIER COUNTY R CORUPT AS HELL,,heres one of casey wingos videos,beat a old man in diabetic shock 4667 views so far, https://youtu.be/a9xWG8W6i90
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
05-05-2017, 09:37 PM #5
Unregistered
kasey wingo lieing about being assaulted caught on robert harris dash cam,12775 views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JocfMAhoMyc
05-06-2017, 01:47 AM #6
Unregistered
Sheriff is corrupt as hell
Wingo gets away with this shit, but I get fired for supposedly being untruthful on a statement to prb for a case I was on and the way the took my statement because they did want me anymore and my Sgt T.E. wanted to **** me. But he lyes on a report and gets it on film and still has a job go figure corupted that is all I have to say
05-06-2017, 11:23 AM #7
Unregistered
charlottecountyflcopwatch2@gmail.com WE ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO HELP EXPOSE THE CORRUPTION AT COLLIER COUNTY SHERIFF,GIVE YOURE STORYS VIDEO DOCUMENTS I WILL POST IT 55 MILION VIEWS ON UTUBE CHANEL,48 THOUSAND SUBCRIBERS,OVER 2 MILION VIEWS A MTH.. https://www.youtube.com/user/LIVEFREEORDIEPEOPLE

Unregistered
05-24-2017, 05:57 AM
YES WE HAVE MANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY REPORTS THEY R HELPING THE DRUG TRADE AND R CORUPT AS HELL,,LEE COUNTY AND COLLIER COUNTY R CORUPT AS HELL,,heres one of casey wingos videos,beat a old man in diabetic shock 4667 views so far, https://youtu.be/a9xWG8W6i90
05-05-2017, 09:37 PM #5
Unregistered
kasey wingo lieing about being assaulted caught on robert harris dash cam,12775 views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JocfMAhoMyc
05-06-2017, 01:47 AM #6
Unregistered
Sheriff is corrupt as hell
Wingo gets away with this shit, but I get fired for supposedly being untruthful on a statement to prb for a case I was on and the way the took my statement because they did want me anymore and my Sgt T.E. wanted to **** me. But he lyes on a report and gets it on film and still has a job go figure corupted that is all I have to say
05-06-2017, 11:23 AM #7
Unregistered
charlottecountyflcopwatch2@gmail.com WE ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO HELP EXPOSE THE CORRUPTION AT COLLIER COUNTY SHERIFF,GIVE YOURE STORYS VIDEO DOCUMENTS I WILL POST IT 55 MILION VIEWS ON UTUBE CHANEL,48 THOUSAND SUBCRIBERS,OVER 2 MILION VIEWS A MTH.. https://www.youtube.com/user/LIVEFREEORDIEPEOPLE

Really? Every Post you have this.. Get Over it- You were fired. I'm thinking because of your report writing personally, but I could be wrong..