PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of CCSO

03-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Good Evening!

I'm FL certified and thinking about making a move. I've read a lot of the posts and am impressed with how professional you all seem to be. If someone could just give me some further information on your shift work, ie hours, rotating days or set days, quality of the school systems in the county, overall quality of life etc. What do you get for vacation and personal time right out of the gate? How is the call load for you all also? I worked for a city in FL that was relatively busy, but had a nice balance and that's what I would be looking for. Also, I haven't looked yet, but to live in a decent one bedroom one bath apartment what kind of rent/month would I be looking at? Do you really get your take home cruiser right after completing FT? That's pretty impressive, I know of most places taking a lot longer. On a side note, I read about the equipment, which seems impressive etc. Is the uniform a light or dark grey? Thank you in advance for your assistance and stay safe out there!

Thanks

03-03-2007, 04:53 PM
We work a 12 hour schedule, with the shifts being 6a-6p/6p-6a/ and 3p-3a for overlapping coverage. all Districts but one (D-4) works a fixed-day schedule, either Sun,Mon Tues, every other Wed, with Thurs, Fri, Sat off, OR Thurs, Fri, Sat, every other Wed, with Sun, Mon, Tues off. Basically you work a 4 day week and then a three day week, with lots of time off in between. whichever shift you have, you get one weekend day off, although alot of people prefer the Fri-Sat off. Distict 4 works a rotating 12, with the same shifts, but instead of the 3 0r 4 workday week, they work 5 days one week - Mon, Tues, (off Wed/Thurs) Fri, Sat, Sun...And then 2 days the next week (0ff Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun) work Wed Thurs. With the 5 day on week /2 days the next, you flip-flop the days every 2 weeks, so you are off every other weekend.
The schools are good, and the quality of life here is excellent, but the living expenses are high. a decent 1 bedroom would probably go for around $900-$1,000 in a nice area.
Yes, you really do get a take-home patrol unit right off of FTO. In fact, they usually make your appointment to pick up your car the day you pass your FTO final written exam.
I am not sure of the exact PDO and sick time accrual rate for new hires, but its better than average.
You get 5 new uniforms. The color is sort of a battleship gray which looks very serious and busineslike.
Our training is excellent, as are our standards and level of professional performance. All in all , CCSO is a good place to work, and we are justifiably proud to be part of an agency that is considered on of the best anywhere.
We hope you decide to give us a look.

Good luck, be safe.

03-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for replying Old School. I was hoping you would answer his / her questions. You always seem to give the most informative and accurate answers!!

On a side note Fl Leo, you are more than welcome to arrange a ride-a-long with our agency prior to submitting an application. I would suggest riding in District 2 or 1. These districts offer a better variety of calls and the combined average road experience of the deputies will give you a more even perspective. District 4 is slow and District 3 is packed full of rookies on the Thur, Fri, Sat side of the week. The front side of the week in D3 is slow.

Although if you want lots of action then go ride in District 8 (Immokalee). You will for sure see a couple of Robbery of Persons, foot pursuits, DUI crashes and a stabbing or two...all for the low price of free.

I heard the new slogan for D8 is "Welcome to Mo's". (You know, more robberies, more stabbings, more drugs, more etc...) :)

03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Welcome to Mo's!....funny. for those of you who don't have one in your area, Moe's is a franchise Tex-Mex resturant where when you walk in the door, all the employees yell " Welcome To Moe's !!!"...nice.
In all seriousness, I really don't mind taking all the employment-curuious inquiries, as I find it encouraging that so many people want to come work here. I am wondering if we could pin an FAQ post regarding schedules, take home cars, weapons, training, jail-first, etc....Mod 167 can you help us out?

mod 167
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Excellent idea Oldschool.

If you would like to start a topic titled “FAQ’s about CCSO Employment” we can make the thread a “Sticky” meaning that it will remain at the top of the page daily. So who ever visit our site will see this thread first no matter how old the last posting was.

You have already answered a lot of questions in prior posts so to get you started quickly you can cut and paste the question and your answers from other posts to the new one or you can just start from scratch.

Thank you for your assistance and willingness to contribute in a positive manner to our message board.

Mod 167

03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I see that the FAQ sticky has been created-thanx Mod-167...After viewing some of the previous Q&As I have decided to start from scratch and refine and update some of the info. It will also give me a chance to review the HR material about new hire benefits.....I look forward to contributing....While it is great that we have a forum to discuss our own internal issues, whether they be upsetting or positive or just academic, it is also good they we are able to inform and educate outside persons who are interested in joining our family, beyond what the official recruitment material can, and in greater and more personal detail.

oldschool