PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP

02-28-2007, 12:10 AM
This is how I feel.

I don’t feel liked by my supervisor. Everyday I come into work I’m paranoid that I’m going to get in some type of trouble. I check ACISS several times a day to see if my reports are rejected. My supervisor makes me feel worthless, stupid, incompetent, and treats me like everyday is my 1st day out of the FTO program. I try my hardest but I have been made to feel like a piece of garbage that has no experience or common sense. I get criticized EVERY DAY that I come to work. It seems like there is nothing I can do well even after I put my all into an investigation because my supervisor critiques every call I go on. My judgment on calls, arcs, follow ups, time management, investigative work and almost every decision I make is questioned. I worry more about when I’m going to be called on the phone because I did something wrong or asked to 56, than I am getting hurt or even killed on the job. The job I do is the best I can do and it’s never good enough. I don’t know how to do a better job than I am doing now and that causes stress and anxiety because my best is never good enough. I can’t get into detail of what transpires everyday because that might clue people in on who my Sgt. is and if that happened I would for sure be in IA and suspended for “being human”.

These feelings can lead to depression. A part of depression can be caused by a built in self defense mechanism. This self defense mechanism tells you to stop making an effort because you don’t want to feel like a failure and you can’t fail if you don’t try, so you stop trying. I have been told that if you say how you feel in a professional, sensitive manner you may be subject to a psych review. I’ve heard that members have actually been relieved of duty at no fault of their own.

This is who I am.

I work my hardest and I’m willing to do anything my Sgt asks of me. I will work after my shift ends and get all my reports in on my own time with out O/T. I help my sector partners out as much as I can by jumping calls. I feel like I go above and beyond in my duties. I have been told that I’m a hard worker and have been recognized by other brass for my efforts. My Sgt doesn’t see this.

What should I do? Do I quit or be miserable 5 days out of the week including the anger I bring home with me. My weekends are spent dreading the next 5 day vicious cycle.
This is clearly not healthy and I know it’s not my fault but I don’t know how not to feel this way. I have been told to just not think about it but how realistic is that? That’s like saying to someone who just lost someone that everything will be ok, just think about other things. In the years I spent here I have only had 1 other supervisor that hated me. The rest were either ok or great. I sincerely love being a deputy and I am passionate about it but I hate coming into work.

What should I do?
[/b]

02-28-2007, 12:57 AM
You need to hang on till bid change, try and utilize your vacation or comp time to break up the week....

02-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks for reply. It's really good advise. I'm sure you are well aware how short patrol is now and I don't want to hurt my squad members by taking off even if a day was available in the book.

02-28-2007, 02:54 AM
To chill the fizzuck out. I feel your pain brother. It was once thought that if you work hard enough, you can get along with ANY supervisor. But not now, you have a.holes who weren't even good cops to begin with, but scored good on a test and are now Gods gift.

Take the time off when you can, do your job, help your fellow brother and sisters out, and get off that squad.

If you are depressed and it interferes with work, get some professional help or talk to Sgt acker!

02-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Lemme guess eves. squad 7?

02-28-2007, 03:51 AM
thanks for your support and empathy. Im not looking to identify the supervisor. Im just looking for some "out of the box" advise or maybe some time to vent a bit too.

im sure most of you that have been here numerous years have had similar experiences too. feel free to share and maybe we can collectively come up with a viable solution.

Do you know when its your friday and you dont have any reports to call in, that feeling you get? The feeling of no stress and being happy, looking foward to your weekend.

I DON'T HAVE THAT EXCITEMENT ANYMORE. I come home angry and during my weekend I ponder the next 5 days that I'm going to be crititcized and feel like garbage.

In ref to seeing that pcso psych guy, I heard that some people have been relieved of duty because they werent "psychologicaly fit" to perform their duties. Some of these members had second opinions that contradicted that tampa PHD. diagnosis. So, based on other peoples experiences I will never ask for guidence from the administration.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advise my brothers and sisters.

02-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Hey there. First of all, THANK you for serving the community. You have much more than just a "job".

My leo has 13 years on. I totally know what you mean about losing that excitement. My hubby went through that after several years on the road, so he put in for a specialty. It was the change of pace he needed.

Now he's a detective and actually MISSES PATROL!!!

What you are feeling is completely normal. Hang in there! Shift will change and hopefully your supervisor.

Do you have a hobby? My husband has a little boat and fishes. That has helped him tremendously with work stress. Also, I help out in the stress relieving department, if you know what I mean. Something else I do is try to encourage and thank my husband everyday for, well, everything. I'll send him an email or a note. I always thank him at the end of the day for working so hard that I can stay home w/our kids.

If you are married, TELL YOUR WIFE. I'm sure she knows, but show her your post. Then she'll (hopefully) be understanding about a hobby, encouragement and that 'other thing I was talking about'. I know that it's SO important to have time to unwind.

Another suggestion is church. I tell you what, we are baptist and Sunday recharges the soul and spirit.

Again, thank you so much for sacrificing SO much to be in the profession you are in.

God bless you!

Leo wife

02-28-2007, 05:44 AM
take no shit. explain your position in a professional manner and stick to your point of view. if that does not resolve it go to the lt. i hate being ****ed with. but hey two can play that game. be self confident and know how to play the game.

02-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Also take a look at the book they give to recruits called Emotional Survival, by Dr. Kevin Gilmartin. I know the class we used to do at LETS was a bit long and drawn out with the video and all, but Gilmartin makes some excellent points about the bodies natural cycle and ways to break it up. If you need a copy get with someone who's been through the recruit cycle at LETS in the last 4-5 years. You can also purchase it at Gilmartin's website emotionalsurvival.com

02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Thats good advice Rich. The greatest thing about this agency is that you can make a change every six months. ( it was 3 times a year ). Change location, north or south, shift. A wise Sgt. told me, if you dont like who you work with, then move.. Take better control of your situation. Move to a Sqd. that you want to work with or in ur case a Sgt. You want to work for.

Some Sgt Have there own agenda, No Names cause I dont want to be deleted. They, and they Know who they are, have double standards, do as i say, not as i do, favorites. NO Skills.

Keep your notes,

Head UP. Go to work, do the best you can and go home alive at the end of your shift. And start putting in for that OT Dammit..

02-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Dude, for real, do you think this job is for you? If your Sgt. is bearthing down your neck everyday, then figure out what it is you are doing to pizz him/her off. If you are that new, you are most likely doing typical rookie things that correct with time. But if you are really feeling that stressed out, this job may not be for you. With the exception of Squad 1, no one here really truly -has- to work that hard. And squad 1 is hit or miss sometimes. So if the work is stressing you out that much reevaluate your chosen career.

You sound like you are in your twenties from the generation of everybody gets a trophy for showing up to a soccer game. Reality is if you cant hack patrol, you will never hack any special unit at PCSO either. Jobs get harder, not easier. Your doing the easiest job now, Patrol Deputy. You got one thing right, when your eight is doen its done. Sounds like a detective case load would puch you into PEMHS.

If your Sgt is just one of those shining examples of a richard noggen who has to pick out some poor guy every shift to beat like a red headed step child, GET OUT AT SHIFT CHANGE. There is one in every bunch and you may or may not have done anything to provoke this. New guys dont operate like experienced guys, but your still learning and thats how it is. Some supervisors are intolerant of this. Stay away from them.

If you need counseling do not goto Skotco, call EAP. Thats for you, not the agency. Its confidential and personal. Maybe your just having culture shock.

02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a detective case load would puch you into PEMHS.

Amen to that, brother!

Good advice, btw.

02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
As a supervisor, let me say this to the original poster. Get. Get someone that you trust to talk to, soon. Get your head out of your arse and deal with the situation at hand the easiest way possible. Determine what it is the supervisor wants done and do it. Most importantly, Get away from the supervisor as soon as possible.
There is a new breed of supervisors guys. They are not interested in working with you, or the final product. They are more interested in molding you into their vision of what you should be. Whether you adapt to this or fight it, it will occur. These are the supervisors that will not be content until you roll over and do everything exactly the way they want it. They dont know any other way. To admit that you (read troops) have a more innovative approach is to undermine their authority. It is insecurity in their position that makes them feel this way.

Bid for your areas wisely. Sometimes the better days off have hidden trade-offs. Find a supervisor that shares your ideas relating to the job. You know, you can interview them. Informally, the conversations in the hallways will tell you a great deal about a person. If your not comfortable with that, talk to the troops that work for he/she currently. Good supervisors are worth their weight in gold. When you find them, hang on to them.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
you can take this any way you want. i have been on the receiving end of the "let's **** with person game." i have done two things. the first thing i did was get pissed and said **** this. i figured i would go tit for tat. if you do that you are only ****ing yourself over in the end. when those transfers come up that you want etc. guess what you are not going to get them. just like slick sleeves, the management talks. and whether you like it or not, first impressions are what people remember. so if a person thinks you are a pain in the ass, you are stuck in patrol/working the floor limbo. threw that in for the jailers. the best way to handle the situation is to talk with the supervisor to gain their expectations, and to have them correct what they see as problem areas with you. you do not have to agree, but you do have to work in the confines of what they expect. if the conversation does not go well, then have the lt sit in with you. either way dont **** yourself over. and most importantly when bids come out, go elsewhere.

to address the new breed supervisor theory. i do agree with that opinion somewhat. some new supervisors have longed for their entitlement for a long time and it is very important to them to move up the ladder, and they do not linger in the thought of will you be disciplined for not listening to them. on the flip side there are decent new promotions that will be open to some new management perceptions. in other words there are good and bad everywhere.

remember its a job not a democracy. do as you are told and make the best of it. also know who you are talking too, because people will flip on you to make themslves look better.

and it takes longer to out do a preconceived opinion, then it does to just conform until bid change.

or just say **** it and have some self worth if its more important for you to vent that way.

02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
In response to many of the posts I would like to say thank you for your time and consideration. It’s much appreciated. The leo wife had many nice things to say. For the person who posted ” OMG!!!!Is this job for U?”. I’m middle aged and been at this job many many years. I love being in patrol and enjoy my work and the detail of in depth investigations. I have been criticized that I put too much into investigations at times. It’s not the work that bothers me it’s the criticism and negative junk I get from my Sgt. I did ask myself if it was worth keeping this job but not because of the nature of it or the work load but because how I feel during and after work. Guest supervisor, thanks for taking the time to post. In response to some of your statements it’s hard to adapt to new rules and ways of doing things on a daily basis. I got the rules at the beginning of shift however no matter how I do things its wrong and than a new guidelines come out.

I happen to be a seasoned deputy and have worked every shift mostly south county some north. I believe it’s not my fault but I'm made to feel that way. I have had great supervisors that have went out of there way to give me commendations and even going as far as writing the captain on my outstanding performance. I have received recognition from other Sgt as well as detectives on my investigations and my thoroughness of my reports. I’m not going to disclose the years I have been here but I will tell you that it’s been over 6 years under 16 years.

I had a philosophy that I thought would work and that was the best revenge on a bad supervisor is to bust your behind as hard as you can and make a great name for yourself to show him/her off. I believed that no one could take away from you your hard work and good name. I have been trying my hardest to maintain that but the more I get knocked down and kicked the more I don’t feel like trying anymore. I heard by many that he/she may be a problem but I went into the shift thinking I would show this person my hard work and my passion for the job. I don’t even take meal breaks. The person I’m dating packs my meal for me shift so I don’t have to out code 58 so I can be x8 to take calls.

I don’t know if there is a solution. If I approach the supervisor I feel, based on my experience so far that I would be under the microscope even more and I’m not sure if I’m prepared for that. You guy and girls know what a supervisor can do. If I claim that it’s a hostile work environment than I’ll be in the spot light even more.

I think I may get a hobby that occupies my off time and see how things go before I resign. Things are different since this new administration came into office. I never saw so many people get such harsh punishments for mistakes that I believe could be handled differently. Some people do get proportionate punishments though however I see a lot that got 5 days off for something I think could have been 1 day. 5 days off can really hurt a family with children, finacially.

Over all I love working here. I get a free car, great benefits, best pension (that I don’t have to pay into) and good pay. During this shift I have been feeling like a piece of garbage and it’s easy to say don’t let him/her bother you but it does. I think day after day of being kicked you eventually break and begin feeling a little angry and helpless.

I would love to hear some more advice from my brothers and sisters. Thanks again for all the time you good people spent talking to me.

03-01-2007, 06:42 AM
talk to acker. that @$$wipe in tpa is no longer the department head shrink. sgt. acker is a very good person and a great supervisor. i trust him implicitly and i'm sure he will keep the conversations in confidence. i have no doubt he will do what he can for you. besides, if he removes you from duty...don't you think that might be for your own good? you need help, and im not being sarcastic. i can understand how you feel, been there myself. but you need to do something about this before something else falls apart in your life. stress is definately a cop killer. if you have the time on you say you do, then you know what supervisors are like at this agency. you should also know that there are ways out, the shift commanders will work with you. point is, don't give up. call acker, he will help you. get through this and be safe.

Ten6Niner
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Hey, Einstein. 30's isn't middle aged, and you better keep that one to yourself at work. There are many deputies older than their 30's who would take offense (and a boot to your ass).

And the deputy you specifically mentioned in your post hasn't been in law enforcement 6 years at all, never mind been here that long. Nice detective work!

And I like the "no stupid nickname" in that deputy's DR. Y'all's stupid nicknames are gonna bite one of you in the ass in a use of force or shooting review one day. And that isn't my brilliant observation; I stole it from a well respected retired Captain (LaBonte). Having a "cool" nickname isn't going to make up for your phallic shortcomings.

MOD 1
03-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Ten6Niner's reply is to a post that I deleted.

MOD 1

03-01-2007, 10:15 PM
By the tone of your post, I believe I have encountered that sgt. There is little you can do with the exception of telling yourself that "what can they do to me?" I suggest you switch your FRS to the investment plan and out of the pension plan. Once done and you have 10 or so years, you have banked 200k or better. If something occurred, you have that immediately available to you. Trust me, it will take stress off of you having that available.....I sought help and went on an anti-anxiety med. Effexor. Yeah, Ill get bashed, but were human too. It does not interfere with your work or ethics, but does take the edge off of the anxiety. I would diffently see my DR and ask him/her. There is nothing wrong with it. Believe me, I work for the same kind of sgt, swat enduced bologne "I am better than you attitude". It drives me nuts. With no names, this same sgt questions and second guesses everything....even without indebt knowledge of the case.....I really hope you feel better and sympathise with your situation. Your not the only one....trust me...

03-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.

I dont visit this site that often because I have seen some terrible stuff said on here.

The replies to this post proves that when a fellow deputy is looking for some serious and honest advice he/she can come here without being kicked to the curb.

you guys are great! Where else would you fight side by side with someone you never met just because they're dressed the same as you.

Thanks again and I'll see ya'll around ! ! !

03-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Yes you are alone if you consider all fo this therapy jackazz. Try talking to a friend instead of venting your softer side on a public board. And as usual 10-69er spouts off the know it all crap that he keeps inside while working the mean streets Pinellas County.

03-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Ill try to keep this brief.. Ive been with this agency for 22 years and I cant believe the turn its taken... With regards to your feelings guard them and keep them close...

What Ive seen of a select few supervisors in this agency do is pull one of your friends in on the carpet and question them about your off duty behavior and activities,,,even stoopng to the level of asking questions with regards to your children... So if theyre looking for a way to fu-k you theres no limit...

It seems to be the trend that if you dont violate policy, break the law, or bring the department into disrepute the only alternative there is for some bosses is to fabricate or IMPLY there is something emotionally or behavioraly different which gives them the right to send you to be evaluated... If Im not mistaken one previous poster mentioned about talking to Skotko.... I would encourage you not to because his job as an industrial psychologist is to look out for the best interest of the corporation...not you or I... No slam on him..thats just the way it is...

As for your feelings emotionally... Im going to challenge you to tough it out and stay FOCUSED... If you can still make good judgement calls on duty despite the emotional turmoil youre feeling youre only going to become a better person and cop.... When the sh-t hits the fan youre going to need it, and your battle buddy next to you will need it too when they look at you with a look of "I dont know what the fu-k to do."

Also keep a journal of youre activities during the day... Document your own actions, calls, 56's, arc, supps, b/u. Also keep a seperate journal of your encounters with your boss and how he/she interacts with you, what he says, tone and inflection of his voice... Dont write in there what you feel at the time of the encounter,, respond in a professional manner and document it...Theres no better proof than documentation,, It may come in handy..

So much for brevity

03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
None of this is new. I have been in the department under four Sheriff's. I worked for a sergeant just like you described back in 82. But, you know, bad supervisors exist in every line of work, not just law enforcement. The grass isn't greener on the other side, just a different blade of grass.

If this is a problem with just one supervisor, by all means, move. If this is a problem with every supervisor, but just one specific shift and station, you might be surprised to find out it is a reflection of the shift commander, not the sergeant. In other words, the orders are coming from the lieutenant, but no good sergeant ever says, "because the lt said so."

As far as I am concerned, it is the job of a sergeant to be a mentor, teacher, and resource. The discipline side of the job comes with the stripes but it is not the first or foremost part of the job.

"There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer."

You have been given some great advice by others on this board.

First...contact EAP for anxiety-stress resolution. Been there, done that. No, the department does not find out if you make the decision yourself.

Secondly, find a positive way to reduce stress off the job. I have seen too many people hit the bottle or follow a destructive path. Work out, go fishing, go bowling, play tennis, DO something.

Third, surround yourself with positive people, and include in your circle of friends non-law enforcement. If you eat and breath law enforcement 24/7 it will destroy you.

And, finally, work toward a goal in the department that will take you off main line patrol work. The burn out factor is 6 to 7 years. You have to take a break. A new challenge will re-instill the feeling you had for this job when you first started.

Thats my opinion, I could be wrong.

03-03-2007, 10:10 PM
As usual, a great number of people chime in that have "a lot of experience here in the agency." Of course, with their great knowledge and vast amount of experience, they tell you to move away from the supervisor to solve your problem.

Well, what about the next guy/gal that has a problem with that supervisor due to the supervisor's inability to correctly lead? That my friends is THE problem with this agency. If a supervisor isn't doing a good job, just move...don't fix the problem, put a bandage on it. That's the same type of 1970's mentality that is causing this agency to slip behind the times.

How to fix the problem...I can't tell you that. Lord knows that if you speak up you be put on the "blacklist" with no hope of going anywhere up the ladder for quite some time. But I do know that I've seen it enough times to know that as soon as you move along, that supervisor will just pick up on aonther employee where he/she left off with you. How about some accountability for poor supervisors in this agency?

Just because you wonder about continued employment doesn't mean that you have a mental issue or are not cut out for the job, it just means that you expect to have a workplace that is not hostile or harrassing in nature. God forbid if somebody wants to enjoy our profession, which is stressful enough while on duty, without having to worry about the added stress of poor supervision.

And for those of you who think this agency isn't in trouble, when is the last time we've had to conduct a job fair to try and gain employees? There was a time not too long ago that the line of applicants was out the door, but not anymore. Just take a look at the past two years and count the number of NEWLY hired employees that left after only a short time to go work for other agencys. I'm sure it's not just about money, because not everyone has to work details to live within their means.

So while I am unable to provide a solution for your current problem, I do know that each and every one of us chooses our own destiny. If you are unhappy with your current employment, by all means go and seek other opportunities. Life is too short to be in a profession or agency that makes you unhappy. Why go through life not enjoying what you are doing for a 1/3 of every day when a simple job or career change could make the world of difference?

Whatever decision you do choose, remember that you must decide based upon your own feelings and desires and not those of fellow employees.

P.S. (That's a latin abbreviation for 'post scriptum', meaning "after what has been written" and not 'post script' as most people believe). This is solely my opinion and is not intended to start a argument, only to share my views and beliefs concerning this matter.

03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Since you have over 6 years on in FRS you should consider maybe going to work for another agency. You are vested and would be a shoe in for another agency with your experience.

The only other agency in Pinellas County that has the FRS that I know of is the Schools Police. That is a cake job. Take home car, day shift, weekends off, 2 weeks off for Christmas, 1 week off for Thanksgiving, 1 week off for spring break plus two weeks accrued vacation per year. Four 10's in the summer.

The Chief and Sgt. are great to work for and very laid back. They let you make the decisions on your calls. It is an EASY job. Your pay would probably be a little lower (approx. $20 per hour) but there is plenty of overtime. I have been there a while and have absolutely no stress. It is probably the best job I have ever had.

Some will bash this post because of the reputation of the last administration here but I can tell you that most of the officers are retired from other agencies in the area; i.e. Clearwater, St. Pete, Pinellas Park, Largo and are very good officers.

If you are that miserable then at least consider it or another agency. Good luck and I hope your supv. gets what's coming to him/her.

03-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Well heres a response to "Just Me". Yousay you have a concern about the next person that has to "deal" with this supervisor. Thats stuff we say to parents of pedofile victims that dont want to prosecute, not a supervisor. One thing everyone may have missed is this, what if the original poster is really doing a crappy job. Could be an attitude problem, could be a personality conflict, could be he is lazy, could be he is not thorough, could be he works too hard and the supervisor is lazy. Thing is no matter where you go in this agnecy or any other, you will find people you dont want to work for and around. But you have no choice for the shift. Quite honestly if you cant hack six months of a supervisor you dont like, you picked the wrong profession. We are quasi-military, not a democratic government.

And you may not agree with a supervisor when you have 5 years on, but ten years later you might. You may remember what you did not like about past supervisors, but find yourself doing the same thing later in your career. When you are new or newer you dont have the same global view you may have later on. You may not see past your own job, pay check, assignment, or wants. Hell, you may never see beyond those things. But I find it funny that "Just Me" has such an obtuse view of whats wrong with "this" agency. Thats government my friend, you dont have to like it, but it is what it is.

You also make assumptions that this supervisor does not know how to lead. You dont even know who he is talking about. There was a Sgt I worked for a decade ago. He ran my azz into the ground every single chance he had. I wouldnt pizz in his mouth if it was on fire today. But I guarantee that I could work for him today and he would love me. Cuz Id be able to figure out what will make him happy and do it. This versus the rookie mentality of thinking my way is the only right way and you stupid supervisors and experienced guys are just lazy and stupid.

Just like every Deputy goes from rookie to experienced to veteran, so does each supervisor in each ranking. No one was born a great Sergeant or Lietenant. They are learning too just like you. And heres something you may like to try. Go to the supervisor and ask if you can talk to him. Then say, "look, I really dont want to be your bad egg, what can I do to make you happy with my work product?" Youre not being insubordinate. Your not being disrespecful. What you are doing is informing them that you know they have an issue with you. Youre showing them that you are man enough to talk face to face about it. Youre also man enough to listen to their opinion about it. Now heres the great part. If they blow it off, youve possibly started a hostile work environment law suit. Kind of win win. Id say most Sergeants are gonna tell you what their problem is. If that dont work do the same with your Lt. This way no one can say you didnt try. If you get screwed with beyind that, and you aint the problem, call a lawyer. Really at that point what do you have to lose?

The big what if, however, is are you the problem. Be honest with yourself. Especiallly if you are newer. Jail time dont count here folks. 5 in the jail and 3 on the road is 3 years as a cop. Your new job began 3 years ago, not 8. So if its you, and it probly is, it will get better with tiime and experience.

Lastly "Just Me" we had a job fair because like every other agency in Florida, we have been going through major retirement phases. In case you just joined us it aint always that way Chief. In the early nineties you couldnt get a job if bought it. There were very few promotions a year, and I mean few. Someone had to get fired or die up top to make one happen. Now we are in the opposite phase. So maybe thats why we have job fairs you moron. Its a healthy economy when jobs are plentiful too you rocket scientist. You want crappy morale goto SPPD.

And Im curious what blacklist you speak of. Are you on it? Have you seen it? Where is it kept? Talking face to face in a logical manner wotn get you blacklisted. Running your mouth behind supervisors backs about what idiots you think they are, will slow your career process, but DUHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go look up bardus liber "Just Me", its what you act like.

03-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Why bash someones valid opinion? Why call names? Just give your input without beating them up for theirs. You sir, will or are one of those supervisors who rule with an iron fist. That went out with Hitler. Ever heard of old school policing? Times you could beat people? pretty much do what ever you want without any fear of reprisal. You cannot do that any longer. Its the day and age of attorneys and civil rights.

Which brings me to my next point. You cannot run your subordinates into the ground, curse, or bash them like you could in the 70-80's.

There is nothing wrong with being nice and speaking to someone in a tone designed for peacefulness.

Bash me, yup, you probably will. Wanna challange what I said, take a poll.

Wanna meet me somewhere to talk face to face? No problems with that either.

Everyone, do not let these supervisors speak to you like your indigents. Your not. Express you displeasure with what they think as being a "supervisor". You will get the typical, "dont like it, leave" from those sgts. But if your right and go beyond that supervisor, you may receive a nice response from your Major or Chief Deputy.

03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Did you read my entire post (it was long winded)??? I never bashed him on anything. I pointed out options. I pointed out possibilities, And I pointed out the obvious. You are clearly the "everyone gets a trophy" generation. Well my friend everyone cannot make it as a cop. I dont see what the 70's and 80's have to do with any of this. Then you choose to bash that generation of cop for "beating" everyone and violating civil rights. But thats okay for you to do, but Im the bad person here.

There are some supervisors that will speak down to you. Im not sure what you mean by the use of the word "indigent". Did you mean idiot? No you dont have to take it. Yes you can file a complaint. Read your general orders, supervisors are required to show subordinates respect and courtesy.

Supervisors are allowed to correct behavior and performance issues, however. That means telling you that you are wrong and telling you how to work. Or writing you up and other corrective measures like remedial training. So dont be so dam sensitive. If correction hurts that much go be a dam florist!!!

And what are we gonna talk about face to face anyway. You gonna challeneg me to a fight? I doubt it. Grow up.

03-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I never said anything about fighting. Kind of presumptious on your part. Face to face debates are a bit more entertaining though. So your the generation from the 70-80's. I never bashed the 70-80's, thats just how it was then. Some supervisors who were treated like that as deputies, now carry on a portion of that abuse.

Abuse is abuse, it doesn't have to be physical. It can be considered a hostile work enviorment. Yeah, supervisors can cause those situations too. Even though their supervisors....they are not perfect either.

So to the supervisors reading this. Dont forget this generation WILL file complaints and even if there found to be unfounded, it still leaves that stigma.

Skeered? Ha...your one of those that fear everything when their out of uniform.

Now, go get promoted and lay off these guys who really feel threatened.

03-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Mod 1, I think that the post has gotten out of hand and that was not my intention. I'm asking you to please delete this post because it has already served it's pupose.

I didnt want any hostile replies on here and I would appreciate it if you could delete it so there are no more arguments.

Thanks,
Alone

03-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Alone, I am really sorry that it did. I am one to blame and apologize. There no reason we should have argued.

The purpose was to get you help. I sincerely wish for you to go get help because you are a good one we don't want to loose because of JC's impotence.

03-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster: God youre a puzzy. You picked the wrong career. Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Hey Just You: Youre a fu-cking moron rookie. Good luck filing your complaints on supervisors. You will look like a total azz.

Here's your memo to AID (read to yourself in the voice of a little boy on the verge of crying):

"My supervisor talks down to me and makes me feel low and depressed. My self worth level is at an all time low. I feel glum when I wake up in the morning and totally dread gong to work. I'm not as cheerful as usual and think I have a touch of depression coming on. All because my supervisor cannot find a constructive and positive way to tell me how he thinks I should be doing the job that I have a firm grasp on. I'm tired of his intimidation tactics when he calls me to the office and has a closed door session with me where no else can hear how he talks to me, saying I need to do this and more of that. So some of my reports are late, not closed out or lacking some information, I'm trying and thats all that matters. And is it that bad that I had a pursuit over traffic? I'm learning valuble driving skills by doing it, just like I watched on cops. Is my supervisor afraid I will learn more than him? I just want him to stop making me feel so blue."

Your payroll number will be somewhere in the 6000 plus range.

03-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow, your pretty touchy (and feelie). Ok hows this, school gets out at 230 on friday. Ill meet you at the Albertons in Oldsmar. Dont bring you big brother either since I am a small gal.

Bro, so out of uniform, and someone speeds by you, you get that butterfly feeling in your stomach. You pull next to the person and say "Watch out, I got your tag". As they pull away at 2 MPH (because their scared of the badge, not you), you feel vindicated because you took action. Now you can tell your kids to get off the floorboard , since you did not want them to be put in harms way. They think your a hero and you feel like a man...well, until you go to the bathroom and realize its a bit smaller than you remembered.

But....the 7-11 clerk ALWAYS tells you what a big-man you are!

As your reading this, your blood pressure is sky rocketing, you wish you knew who I was. Your cursing me thinking of what you would do to me if you knew....then you rething that, wondering how big I really am. Was this guy swat, is he swat? Crap, he may kick my arse.......as mad as your getting right now, its not worth it because when we jump in the octagon, you wont have that tazer.....just your 5'05", 125 pound frame...and most of that weight is the hair on your back.....

hahahhahahhahah.......................to easy
Haha....you would be a great candidate for a Mind of Mencia skit..... My payroll, in the 2000 range. You can figure it out.....

03-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Wow, you got me there. Youre misguided, clearly. But you think you got it all figured out. From sounds of things youd know a thing or two about mutliple penis sizes now wouldnt you. I'm sure you could kick my azz, being tiny and all. You sound like Ten69Er

03-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Very simple....while your sitting on the computer, you notice my response. Your heart pounds, initially with anger, but realize your really a puss. So now your feeling changes to fear. Your thinking of a place to meet. But your afraid. So I will ask you one more time. Name the time and place.....I will be happy to see you there. Dont be scared, you could wear a vest you puss. Go back to your CP job..........

03-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Penis sizes? Picking fights? Hormones raging...etc...hey Stanton, not our fault you got canned. Go pack to the LPD board and ***** (no pun intended) well, yes pun intended.

03-10-2007, 11:45 PM
3 p.m. NDS car lot this Monday.

03-11-2007, 02:24 AM
3p, NDS, we'll debate it then. How will you identify yourself. I will have my dictionary and thesaurus with me. and to hey, hey just you, the only hormones you have ever heard are the ones you purchased....

03-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Calm down, Susan.

03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
It was funny for a few days. I have to admire someone who will voice their opinion other than I. Hope all is well. Have a good and safe week. I think we debated this pretty good...ummm, well, we tried to show our penis sizes anyhow...

cya

03-11-2007, 04:45 PM
:D

03-13-2007, 12:40 AM
so did you guys fight or just jack each other off today? idiots.

03-14-2007, 03:13 AM
This is how it went down. Deputy hey you came into my office in CID. I pulled out my unit and he firmly stood down. After seeing the size, or lack of he realized I may really be a susan.

hey you....should we kick this new guys ass?

03-14-2007, 04:58 AM
"The big what if, however, is are you the problem. Be honest with yourself. Especiallly if you are newer. Jail time dont count here folks. 5 in the jail and 3 on the road is 3 years as a cop. Your new job began 3 years ago, not 8. So if its you, and it probly is, it will get better with tiime and experience."

Sorry Slick! 5+3=8 here and this post wasn't mine! I haven't been on this site in months and tonite I pop on here and the first post I see is one I can relate too. Fortunately for me, most of my squad felt the same way about the cause of my 6 months of misery and we could vent together. I say most of the squad, because there was that one individual who deemed it necessary to that run particular Sgt. and open his suck-azz mouth. Would love to know who that was. HMMMMMM? Nah probably isn’t you…. New Bid...Different day!

03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
time in jail gives you the extra years of time in the agency but not as a cop. Sorry thats how it is. Lie to yourself all you want. I see it in many of the people who have come out of the jail thinking they know something. About being a hack yes, cop NO. Keep telling yourself what a seasoned vet you are, while you never get transfered for being a moron.

03-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Wrong is correct with his post.

I was a state corrections officer up north for 5 years. I have been a police officer here in Florida for 4 years and I can tell you that the difference is NIGHT and DAY.

Even after 4 years as a police officer I am still learning. The only similarities is you wear a uniform and the criminals we both deal with.

I will say that both professions are equally dangerous. I can say from experience when 4-5 black inmates are fighting with 4-5 white inmates in the chow hall, with racial tentions high, and only 8 officers covering the chowhall with approximately 200-250 inmates inside, I can safely say that was a frightening and dangerous situation. Fortunately no more inmates jumped into the fight and it was brocken up.

With that said I have only been a police officer for 4 years not 9 years.

03-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Exactly!!! These guys always get uptight thinking we are taking something away from their job. Corrections can be dangerous, no doubt. If you are a Detention Deputy you can go be a state CO or something related. If you are a Deputy you can go be a trooper or city cop or FDLE agent. The two are not the same. Sig 20's will tell you otherwise, but theyre full of crap. It is however insulting to me that my job is equated to a turn keys and they call it the same. Tough, sorry, it pisses me off. And the hacks turned road can act like they are all that, but most of those have doen little more than the road, and never will do more.