PDA

View Full Version : why arrest a brother cop?

02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
What is wrong with you? I'm talking about the GPPD Sgt. that arrested the St. Pete K9 for a weak DUI. Just remember one thing, when you're getting your a** kicked on the side of the road, all of the civilians driving by will call 911, your fellow brothers in blue will stop and save your a**! Thats why we cut each other breaks! Its called professional courtesy! Yes there are times when cops have to be arrested such as domestic violence etc. But a weak a** DUI? C'mon brother, there are better ways to make a name for yourself. And yes, cops do get breaks that the regular citizen doesn't get. Cops get shot at and sometimes don't make it home to see their families. So if we get a perk of not getting a speeding ticket or having the courtesy of arranging for a ride instead of a weak DUI, then so be it. Stop arresting fellow cops! Lets band together and watch out for eachother. I'm not saying to look the other way regarding serious criminal acts! I can't stand dirty cops but c'mon guys, motor vehicle violations are really only m/v violations and like the other cops have said, no one got hurt and the K9 cop was just sitting in his vehicle sleeping it off. Let me tell you, up north that sh*t wouldn't happen because we know that if the sh*t is hitting the fan, every off duty cop around would step up and help out while the chicken sh*t citizens run the other way. C'mon GPPD, give us all a break! And for the GPPD Sgt Scum Bag, hope you find yourself in the jackpot and you expect a little courtesy. Not!!!! :roll:

02-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow, I live down here and don't know the whole story but some Yankee does.

02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I can't take it any more. One fact that has not been mentioned yet in all the posts on this topic--the arrestee never said he was a cop! It was not til AFTER the DUI investigation started, in front of a bunch of witnesses, that the GPD cops learned they were dealing with a fellow officer. Plus, the person who made the complaint was standing there watching.

The blame for this lies squarely on the St. Pete cop, not the Gulfport guys.

02-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Kind of hard to get courtesy if you never ID yourself :roll:

02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Not the story I heard.......as a matter of fact I heard there was a quote about someone wanting to get promoted....HMMMMMMM

03-01-2007, 08:59 AM
And you were there right? :roll:

03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Um, I believe that he advised that he was a LEO long befor he got to the jail right? Then it is not to late to use discrestion.

03-02-2007, 12:14 PM
This is to all those who keep saying he should have used discretion (note--spelled correctly). Discretion is the authority to make a decision, one way or the other. Using it does not in any way suggest that the decision must be made in the favor of the arrested person. He had the discretion to arrest or not to arrest, and he used that discretion to decide that an arrest should be made. So he did, in fact, use discretion.

And to the last poster who suggested that any point before jail is an acceptable time to let the guy go, good luck with your short career as a patrol officer. This is not 1958.

03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Right rookie, I don't work for GPD and I am sure that I have been around a lot longer than you. For your information, when you don't have the balls to make the desicion on your own and have to call the chief to help make up your mind then I guess "discretion" does not really matter then does it. Im sure that your chief said arrest em there sergeant, then what discretion do you have?

03-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I am shocked at the amount of cops that are willing to arrest another cop. I believe you have up to the point that you radio that you have one under arrest to use your discretion to decide not to effect the arrest. Up here, the only time a cop gets arrested is when he/she is disrespectful to the investigating officer and talks themselves into handcuffs or commits a domestic violence type of criminal offense. Generally most cops look out for the other cops as long as it does not put the cop in jeopardy of losing their job. As much as I can't stand DUI's, I will not arrest a cop and would rather make alternative arrangements because I may need that guy someday and I want him to have my back. I think we all lose sight of that fact.

03-15-2007, 12:21 AM
I find it unbelievable that we have resorted to arresting our own involving such a weak case! Give me a break............................................. .No brother of mine :(

03-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Yah that's amazing! That has got to be the WEAKEST arrest I have ever heard of. I wouldn't pinch the average Joe for that $hit much less a brother cop. I guess common sense isn't so common. :oops:

03-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Not the story I heard.......as a matter of fact I heard there was a quote about someone wanting to get promoted....HMMMMMMM.......................Nice try DumbAzz the Sgt. you are speaking of is not able to be promoted.....you knuckle heads need to get your story strait and grow up.....I dont aggree with the arrest but like all of you I was not there to know the whole story so for god sake move on to something else already.

03-16-2007, 02:27 AM
I seem to remeber a few years back when a St.Pete Cop arrested a Corrections Sgt. from PCSO for DUI......Oh thats right most you did not work for St.Pete a few years ago....sorry you dumb A@# rookies

03-16-2007, 03:37 AM
The point everyone is trying to make is that the arrest was weak and unnecessary. The Sgt. obviously has zero common sense and even less balls. He had to call the Chief to figure out what to do. How the heck did a loser like that get promoted? That arrest will get tossed in court but that is not the issue. You guys need to remember what team you are on. Unbelievable!

03-16-2007, 04:29 AM
I seem to remeber a few years back when a St.Pete Cop arrested a Corrections Sgt. from PCSO for DUI......Oh thats right most you did not work for St.Pete a few years ago....sorry you dumb A@# rookies

As I recall he wrecked his truck and almost killed himself and another officer. There's always another side to the story.

03-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Yep, he wrecked his truck driving off of 22 Av N and into the ditch near Tyrone Blvd. As the other poster stated, he did almost kill himself and his passenger. That's a big difference comparing it to someone sleeping in their car in a parking lot on a cold night.

Try again you gulfport piece of crap.

03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Take a look at this report. In 2005, 67 officers were reviewed by CJSTC because they had been charged with DUI. It happens everywhere, not just Gulfport or St. Petersburg.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/CJAP/2 ... ls2005.pdf (http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/CJAP/2005/stats/ProfileStatsTotals2005.pdf)

03-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Take a look at this report. In 2005, 67 officers were reviewed by CJSTC because they had been charged with DUI. It happens everywhere, not just Gulfport or St. Petersburg.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/CJAP/2 ... ls2005.pdf (http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/CJAP/2005/stats/ProfileStatsTotals2005.pdf)

Also according to that report, DUI is the most common reason for officer discipline.

03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Sure bozo................look closer (50) of them were corrections workers! Either way, sleeping it off in a car is a WEAK DUI arrest......PERIOD!

03-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Sure bozo................look closer (50) of them were corrections workers! Either way, sleeping it off in a car is a WEAK DUI arrest......PERIOD!

Amen brother. "Yellow cab one time to my location....."