PDA

View Full Version : S.O.P.FOR FACIAL HAIR

02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Hello Brothers & Sisters at J.S.O......My name is Al Van Duyne, I'm a Sergeant at Plant City Police Dept (Along I-4..between Tampa & Orlando) A couple of years ago, I was up there attending an IPTM school for Motorcycle Officer Instructor and then I was up fpr the Super Bowl that Jacksonville hosted. Between both of those visits, I've come away very impressed with the agency. While I was there, I noticed several officers that were on duty, in uniform and had facial hair. I saw stubble, goatees and even some with full beards. When I asked one of my classmates who was employed by JSO, he advised that it was permissible by S.O.P. That it was only during the latter part of the year I believe. Also there was sort sort of fee that the officer had to pay. I have done a straw poll at my agency and there alot of guys who would like to have it instituted at our dept. Can someone please give me some info about this...I would really like a copy of the SOP. If someone would be willing to share this info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, be safe and remember
WE GO HOME AT THE END OF SHIFT

SGT Al Van Duyne
Plant city Police Dept

02-27-2007, 06:25 PM
There's no SOP. Between Oct 1 and Dec. 31 you are allowed to grow facial hair provided you donate $20 to the United Way. Peronsally, I think it's a sham, but I do it every year. Prior to Sheriff Ritherford, the policy started in September. Bt word is, he doesn't like the policy at all and trimmed a month off of it.

02-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Sgt,

The facial hair you see is part of a donation to an organization and as long as you donate from your check you can do that. I cant remember. Its like a cancer orgnization or something similar. Its a good thing. A lot of Sheriff's Officers up there do. St. Johns County is also doing it. I am from there but live on the West Coast in Sarasota SO. Try St. Johns SO. blog . JSO doesnt come on this site too often

02-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I have an opinion on facial hair, for charity yes for permanent no. What type of message are we sending to our young people? Those agencies who tolerate it violates everything LEO stands for. Furthermore you look like the drug dealers that we seek out each day. If you want to grow it, grow it on vacation, but keep it clean on duty.

02-14-2008, 04:14 AM
hey LEO4EVER-EINSTEIN...facial hair is in..bears..etc. get with the times not the 50's or 60's anymore..it doesnt affect any officer from doing their job and john q public DOES NOT CARE ..look at your calendar ..its 2008!

03-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I have an opinion on facial hair, for charity yes for permanent no. What type of message are we sending to our young people? Those agencies who tolerate it violates everything LEO stands for. Furthermore you look like the drug dealers that we seek out each day. If you want to grow it, grow it on vacation, but keep it clean on duty.

dumb ass