PDA

View Full Version : firearms

02-22-2007, 04:12 AM
PLEASE ANY HELP WITH MY POST WOULD HELPFUL.SINCE MY OWN COUNTY.WOULD ONLY INSULT ME.NOT HELP ME.

Just a quick question on firearms.What is the real law on concealed firearms.The state can't give me a straight answer.I'm a former PEACE OFFICER from NYC.I now live in New Port Richey.I've put in for my florida permit. Recently I have been appointed to Dept of JUVENILE JUSTICE as a Detention Officer. We all know there is a big and growing gang problem,In the Tampa bay area.

All I here is how the inmates rob,cheat steal.From helpless victims all day.If i'm legal WILL I be hassled if i'm in the Walmart or Barnhills if someone see's my firearm from under my shirt.I've run into so many inmates in my area, it is unnerving Since they see me with my family.

please any advice would be helpfull.
thank you and stay safe.
JJDO

Ten6Niner
02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
To answer specific question you pose about someone seeing your firearm, YES you will likely be "hassled" (we call it investigation) if that happens.

Even current LEO's are responsible for keeping their firearm concealed when off-duty. I would recommend another type of holster or larger shirts.

I've carried off-duty for almost 13 years without anyone noticing, and according to many on this board, I'm an inept idiot, so if I can do it, surely you can as well.

Good luck and stay safe!

02-23-2007, 10:12 PM
THANK YOU SIR.I'M SURE AT 293 LBS 5"10 I CAN HIDE IT.
AGAIN. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER ME.

STAY SAFE.

02-26-2007, 06:59 AM
But at 293 and 5'10" will you be able to find it?

Reality Check, if you are "off duty" and someone sees that you have a gun tucked in your shirt, you will be met by some cops that point their guns at you. i know I would. So the task is yours to keep it concealed.

And of course you run into former inmates, you moved to New Port Richey.

02-11-2008, 10:43 PM
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/index.html

Get a CCW permit to avoid problems with your employer. Get a gun and holster that you can hide effectively. The new Ruger LCP is about as concealable as it gets.

Jail ol' timer

02-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Can you keep your piehole shut for just 5 seconds. Last I checked you aren't even allowed to carry off duty....Jeeesus

02-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Can you keep your piehole shut for just 5 seconds

You probably did not got an "A" in constitutional law in college, did you?. Ever hear of the first amendment? Your reply's only contributions to this forum is to tell me to shut up and to deride jail guards for not having the backing of the dept. on off-duty concealed firearms while patrol deputies have it. How would you feel if the situation was reversed and jail guards were the only ones allowed to carry off-duty firearms for self protection?

Last I checked you aren't even allowed to carry off duty....Jeeesus

I have a CCW so PCSO policy regarding carrying concealed firearms off-duty is irrelevant to me. However it's disgraceful that jail guards have to get CCW's because the department does not support our right to self defense. Jail guards need to protect themselves just as much as patrol deputies.

Jail ol' timer

02-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Rugers suck! Go to a GLOCK leo distributor and buy a real gun! You can get several of the GLOCK'S for $414 with 3 mags!

That way you can shoot the bad guy and not have to beat him over the head!

Oh or buy the new Taser C-2, you don't need a CCW to carry it for someone that doesn't need to be shot!

Have a nice day! : : :D

02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Where do I go to get a Glock for $414. I currently carry a 26 off duty, but want to go to a 38. Who around here is a Glock LEO dealer?

02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Central public safety in tampa by stadium and I think SRT supply also is here in Pinellas!

02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Not SRT. They lost the Glock distributorship. Central got bought out so I would call to make sure they still offer the LEO discount.

02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Just bought several at Central public safety! they are now DANA public safety and they are a distributor!

Bean5769
02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
this is just in response to jail and road ol timer:
this was taken from the PBA publication Roll Call

under an exemption granted officers in the concealed firearms license law, an officer can carry a concealed firearm off duty as a private citizen and with the same rights and privileges as a citizen who gets a concealed firearms license. All full time, part time, and auxiliary law enforcement, corrections and correctional probation officers are covered by this exemption in s. 790.06(5)(b) which was lobbied into law by PBA.

also it states that if you decide to get a license the only advantage is you will be exempt from the 3 day waiting period and other states would recognize and allow you to cary in their state. (this part is not verbatim)

and to continue:

an officer can carry of duty as a private citizen under s. 790.06 without getting permission from superior officers or the agency itself.

when an officer is carrying a concealed firearm off duty as a private citizen under s. 790.06, F.S. it is for self defense only and the same as for license holders, there a restrictions on locations where the firearm may be carried [see s. 790.06(12), F.S.]

while officers carrying a concealed firearm under the license exemtion do not have a paper or plastic license to exhibit, they should carry identification proving that they are in fact, a law enforcement, correctional, or correctional probation officer and thus entitled to carry under the exemption. officers need not make application to or seek approval from any person or agency of gevernment to be eligible for the exemption. their active certificaton from the criminal justice standards and training commission is the only requirement.

we can carry without a permit as long as we act as private citizens when doing so.