PDA

View Full Version : Promotion Process

02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Anyone see the recent promotion process now in effect? NICE>>>>>For those who wanted a test....You got it!.....

02-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Well, something had to be done because the former system was pretty arbitrary and downright wrong at some points. There was no direction under the last system unless you count fixing a roof and putting up a fence as part of the criteria. I mean lets be honest. Good for them but absolutely sh!++y for everyone else.

Can't blame anyone but staff for the lack of direction. :oops: :oops:

02-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Obsulutely the truth there.....It was who you blew the best....A major problem with this system now is the points system......Look at it this way.....Ofc. A works 10 years and does it all.....numerous specialties, D.B., you name it....Ofc. B works the same 10 years but does absolutely nothing except go get his masters degree.....If both score the same on the test, Ofc. B will be higher on the list and may wind up in the first score group. The new system rewards the Ofc.with an education, not the Ofc. dedicated or committed to his job. But what do you expect from this staff

02-21-2007, 04:56 PM
There is no way an organization this size can make everybody happy and someone will always be complaining about they got crapped on. With that in mind I still submit that the point system is screwed up.

A THI Investigator gets the same points as a Sex Crimes Investigator under this system. We all know that THI's are routinely called out and have to go to some intense schools while there are some Sex Crimes guys out there who have ducked that call for years and years. So, my solution to that is to reward both but only if they have showed a level of activity in that field that is deemed equal. Why give equal points if they are not equal? If you are Sex Crimes by title only and you have taken less then 3 or 4 of those calls in a year you should not be rewarded the same as someone who is actively trying to do the right thing. I hear the same guys over and over taking those calls on the radio while others disappear.

The same goes for SWAT and ERT. What a joke that an ERT guy gets the same points as a SWAT guy. ERT should get rewarded for showing they want to take on more responsibilty but should not get the same points as a SWAT guy who takes on great risk and liability every time they get activated.

Use a little common sense. What's next, the certified rotational camera jockey gets the same points as a CID detective.

Give more of a point value for someone who is taking on more responsibilty and less for titles and let them add up if they have done as much as they can in this department and not just a flat rate.

Ex.

Job Title Point Value

THI 0.5-1.0 Depending on activity
SWAT 1.0
ERT 0.5
FTO 1.0
CID 1.0
Sex Crimes 0.5-1.0 Depending on activity
Comm. Policing 0.5 Really not a sacrifice
Honor Guard 0.5

I'm sure I have missed some but you get the idea and if you are more then 1 of these you can add them. Thats what we do when we reward hungry people who take on more things not just reward everybody the same because they took on one thing.

Not that staff cares but what do you guys think?

02-22-2007, 03:51 AM
How did this even get started? I know I didn't ask for it and it didn't come to a vote by the union. This seems like it should have been put to a vote.

02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
No career path. Big joke.