PDA

View Full Version : CHANGE IN SHIFT HOURS?

02-19-2007, 11:14 PM
ANYONE HEAR THIS YET? MIDS 2200-0800 NOONS 1600-0200 DAYS ?

02-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Days stays the same. This is the plan by the departing Chief at shift bid. The FOP Pres in not in favor, stating our hours are contractual. Admin states they dont care and are going to go ahead with the plan. I am not sure the FOP is correct so stand by for the fight. The Admin is in favor due to a study that was conducted a year or so ago. The four hour overlap is the big seller for the idea. The incoming Chief has not stated a position on this issue yet. Stay tuned.

02-20-2007, 04:53 AM
WHAT ARE THE PLANS FOR THE 4 HOUR OVERLAP? ANY NEW INNOVATIVE DETAILS?

02-20-2007, 05:50 PM
okay so the STUDY.......
can we have a copy of the study beacuse I was told that the recomendation was to hire more cops

can we get a copy of the study?
can we get the contact numbers of the persons hired to conduct it?
So when you screw us over reference our off duties..........
I guess we will just have to get a 12,12 , and 12 raise next contract
to off set the beating we are going to take.

So thanks DONNIE D for every thing... can we have the North End Sub station back? im tired of going to the bathroom in macdonnalds while a felon is inches away from my gun belt.
When will the madness stop was written on the roll call board a few days ago.

SO the day shift guys get both ends of the dildo , that was nice of Donnie

In order to implement better shift coverage , effective immediately all Captains and above are to report to work next Saturday
your days off will be Monday Tuesday and Hours will will be 8pm to 4am
we thought you should lead by example and contribute to the manpower shortage issue.
WE need to pitch in for the organization and get the job done
I don't want to hear you guys *****in

02-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I have done extensive research into this issue due mainly to my morbid sense of curiosity. Here is what I have found.

The study was conducted by Maximus, Inc. They are a consulting company focusing on government entities. Weblink:
http://www.maximus.com

These were some of the recommendatins of their study:

1. Change shift hours: Days-6:30AM-4:30PM Noons-4PM-2AM Mids-9PM-7AM
2. Create 4th Shift to overlay South district Thurs-Sun 8PM-6AM
3. Add an overlapping ATV shift to provide coverage from 5PM-1AM
4. Install and monitor a video camera and enhanced lighting system on the beach.
5. Revise hours in CID so they work 8.5 hours (including lunch) with substantial evening and weekend coverage.
6. Add PSS positions as investigative aides to Property, Economic, and Auto crimes.
7. Re-institute a leave buyback program.
8. Place ADDITIONAL limitations on leave during the busiest times of year.
9. Change the provisions for requesting time off from 24 hours in advance to 14 days in advance.
10. Restrict the total number of hours an officer is scheduled to work by limiting off-duty work.

This is all public record and you can view these suggestions in the Miami Beach 2006/2007 Budget (page 441) by clicking and following this link:
http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/depts/omb/omb.asp

You can discuss the merits of each item yourselves. I just wanted to point out where the information was available for your perusal.

02-20-2007, 11:03 PM
great work karl

02-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Rumor has it that the FOP will fight the change in shift hours because our hours are supposedly contractual. I have dissected the contract which is available at www.mbfop.com (http://www.mbfop.com) and I can't seem to find where it says anything about how set they are. All it says is that they start at approx. 7, 3, and 11 respectively. Is this just another expample of BJ (Pres) running his mouth for no reason? Bello, we know you read this what is the union's position?

02-24-2007, 09:43 AM
nOW YOU WILL LEARN JUST HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO HAVE A LINE ITEM CONTRACT
IF IT ISNT IN THE CONTRACT IN BLACK IN WHITE , YOU CAN GET SCREWED.
MANAGMENT RIGHTS THEY SAY........... AT YOUR EXPENSE.

WHEN IS DONALD DUCK GONE ? WILL IT MATTER? ( A LOT OF HIS APOINTMENTS ARE PSYCOS AND INCOMP TOO ) (SEE THE PETERSON PRINCIPAL STUDY TO LEARN MORE)

WE HAVE DEVOLVED FROM A FAMILY TO A CAREER. AND IF THAT ISN'T BAD ENOUGH WE ARE NOW JUST BEACOMING A JOB .

ITS SAD TO KNOW WE CAN CHANGE IT WITH A LITTLE SOLIDARITY .

02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I have heard that the Patrol role calls have become the areana for this debate. That is not the place for it. Take your concerns to the FOP Union meetings and let your voices heard. All too often, only a handful of members make decisions for the whole. If you are upset, and rightfully so, go to the meeting. The fourth floor has yet to put the shift hour change in practice, they are testing the waters to see our response.

03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
ANY IDEA WHATS THE STATUS ON THIS?

03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
The afternoon shift working 4p-2a is not a new idea. It was that way years ago, and yes i worked those hours riding south end zone on a motor. day shift gets screwed on both ends of their shift. It didn't work so well then to the best of my recollection. I don't know why or if it has returned. i don't think it is contractual either. it does make more court OT for Mids and Noons though!

03-16-2007, 04:17 AM
and who brought all this about again?
FOP says it wasn't the City Manager's idea...if not who? Chief?

03-16-2007, 06:04 AM
As mentioned in the above posts, these changes were recommended by the staffing study done by Maximus. Please read the entire thread before asking a redundant question.

03-17-2007, 06:35 AM
As mentioned in the above posts, these changes were recommended by the staffing study done by Maximus. Please read the entire thread before asking a redundant question.
I have read the entire thread and am not asking a redundant question...
recommended by the staffing study? No. By the ADMINISTRATION. The ADMINISTRATION is a large entity. I asked many from the ADMINISTRAION and they all pass the buck onto the other not giving a direct answer if they are pushing for it....

03-17-2007, 02:30 PM
You should learn to use proper grammer and spelling prior to getting a bit confrontational

03-18-2007, 12:11 AM
not about being confrontational. it's about facing up to better ideas or pointing out the truth. and usually when it is pointed out people divert to punctuation , grammer, hostility, jealousy, etc.
brother, i am a brother in blue, just like you. i try to make the tarnished badge shine as much as i can. i am not posting here to be confrontational but stating the facts as i see it. if i have insulted anyone i apologize...

03-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Ok, Ok, everyone calm down. I'll give you the answer. It's basically a civics lesson. A few years back, when WE were all complaining about not having enough cops, the City Manager asked the City Commission to approve funding for an efficiency study to see what the PD could do better to improve staffing levels to better coincide with call volume. The proposal was approved and after the procurement process was complete, the city chose Maximus to conduct the study. They then analyzed every aspect of PD staffing and came up with the recommendations you see above. So to answer your question, I think it was US who did this. We complained and complained and when someone actually looked into it, we didn't like the results. This is the perfect example of "be careful what you wish for, you actually might get it." Oops, I didn't mean to interject my personal opinion there.

03-20-2007, 08:40 PM
There is no reason to change shift hours. What do they think will be covered by changing 3rd and 1st shifts? NOTHING!!!
The Beach Breakdown:

Days 0700-1700 hrs:
beach is dead until the zombie residents get up around noon. Cops break roll call, eat 1 hr breakfast, write bullshit reports leftover from mids. milk the rest of day and cry about calls because of 06 time.

Afternoons 1500-0100 hrs:
break roll call hit overlap, break overlap to answer calls because no available dayshift units. work a busy shift because zombie residents are in full swing along with scum from miami. cops answer calls untill 0000 hrs because mids are not 09 yet. and the beach is full of garbage (especially weekends). then get held over to ride mids.

Midnights 2300-0900 hrs: break roll call at 2315, go 09 at 0000 hrs. hump all night handling the beach shitheads and other scum that find their way to clubland (the few working cops) along with all of the 59 units and held over noon guys. this continues until 0530 hrs. Clubs are empty most scum leaves beach. 0600 hrs shift slow until drugged out girls call in reports around 0700 hrs and of course the dispatchers give it to mids to handle instead of holding them for their precious day shift units.

short story: making noons come in one hour later (1600) will mean more backed up calls because days won't handle them, and staying one hour later (0200) won't do squat because the night is just getting started. besides 0200 means being 05 at 0130 for 06ing.

making mids come in would help noons at end of shift if they go 09 as intended, but they will get screwd by sorry day shift who won't go in service, relly do you think they would ever give up that 1 hr morning breakfast!!!!

03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
well said..... except you misspelled really....

03-21-2007, 03:03 AM
GREAT POST!!!

03-21-2007, 07:07 AM
awesome post.....

03-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Does anybody know why only the Bravo Shift on this current shift bid was the only shift to have positions from the weekend squads eliminated? I know that at least one Union Executive member said he's not affected by it; so why would he be concern? The adding of insult to injury is; when they also say "that's not a Union bussiness". If we would had 1/2 of a decent Union, everytime the genius brass made decisions like this we would make a strong stand and unity, (send a message) they would think twice on pulling stunts like this. And for the other shifts before you continue to "stereotype" against Bravo shift, its only a matter of time they'll get to your precious weekends off squad too. Not everybody on each shift are alike, or are there for any other reasons as other shifts. (familly, etc.) In my opinion if these positions eliminated by the brass in Bravo Shifts are not put back, we should all not bid at all. We demand to stay were we were, and the only changes would be like every other shift, based on seniority on the same positions that were originally there. Now we have the Bike squad (Veterans) that had the weekend off, working the weekend. So now they will get off bikes, and bid for patrol squads, creating a domino effect for those who had weekends off, or in dayshift period. If you want to have more officers in days covering the weekend, you could make a new squad like it was done, but have new officers there without having to force people out of squads or bikes to do so. What's the point of hiring new officers? How long do senior or veteran officers have to wait to look forward to getting good days off? Lets stand and fight!

03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey guys,why dont you try the new schedule for MPD,afternoon shift.
A study was conducted and we learned that just like you guys,we got more calls during afternoons and this was causing B-shift to be overwhelmed with calls left from A-shift so we changed the hours.
New schedule:
A-shift,6am till 4pm
B-shift,1300-2300hrs
C-shift,2100-0700
It is working brilliantly!! Of course each station had their own issues so Central,which is full of clubs,{downtown}and violent overtown kept the old shifts,1500-0100hrs. The northend,liberty city also very late violent calls also kept,1500-0100
Check it out! It might help. I know it resolved our calls for service issue at the south station and helped the citizens get better response. Good luck and by the way,WE ARE YOUR BROTHERS TOO!