PDA

View Full Version : PBSO Communications Center Breakdown

02-18-2007, 06:47 PM
When is someone going to take the courage to recognize that the span of control for dispatchers to deputies is DANGEROUS. A road patrol Sergeant routinely supervises between five and fifteen people, but what justification does "anyone" have to have between 50 and sometimes 100 different deputies from different assignments (TAC, CP, Road, CSA's, Motors & Traffic, and sometimes OCB agents and Detectives) all on the same channel for one dispatcher. The nationwide standard is 35 to 1. Commo has always been treated like the red-headed step child. One day the attrition is going to dwindle perosnnel down to nothing but supervisors; and we all know everyone wants to be a supervisor at PBSO because they know they don't have to work anymore. Working supervisors are a dying breed and it shows. All of the worker-bees will eventually flee the flock.
If you told road deputies that they had to find another deputy to fill in for their vacation days, there is no doubt the doo-doo would hit the fan. How would you like to have to beg, plead and borrow with fellow co-workers just so you can take time off to get your head back together and wind down and then be told that one of the days in the middle of your vacation isn't covered so you'll have to come in. No wonder people drop out of the Comm Center in droves. (This doesn't happen in HR, Accounting, Corrections, Records, etc...) On top of the vacation time burden the commo girls are subjected to (by the way supervisors and managment don''t have to find a replacement for their vacation); Comp time is routinely denied whcih is a VIOLATION of FEDERAL FLSA law. Comp can't be denied with proper notification. If it is denied and there is no "True emergency" its then its a violation, but management won't telll you that and they'll keep breaking the law and violating the rules until someone says NO. It is unacceptable and this is a routine and practice that has cultivated a crisis where deputies have to supplement the staffing. How can you call Commo a career when these obstacles are stacked in front of you as tall as the Empire State Building.
The solution is a 35 to 1 ratio for dispatchers combined with the new computer system of lap top capability. It's sad that management won't touch the 35 to 1 issue.
Law enforcement, Corrections, and every other divison in the Sheriff's Office doesn't have an issue with retaining and training personnel, but Commo does. These girls are treated just like constitutionally sworn deputies during hurricanes or state of emergencies. They're right there on 10/100 status with law enforcement and corrections and their level of commitment is higher than any of the other civilian positions, but the civilains in accounting and Human Resources get paid an equal salary with a less than adequate level of commitment. Yes, money is the issue. It is with life and everything else. If money wasn't an issue why are these retired guys and gals begging to come back. They either don't have a life or they're scamming the system and double dipping and if they're taking a senior management position, they're hurting the agency with their dinosaur mentality.
One thing is undeniable, it is easier to get rid of a supervisor, manager or any other high ranking offical than it is to get rid of the workers. When a crisis hits a police department and causes problems, the chief is the first to go. Supervisors can be changed like the weather, but the job has to get done. Stop getting rid of the workers and hold those responsible for the problems accountable for once, just once please.

02-18-2007, 09:38 PM
When is someone going to take the courage to recognize that the span of control for dispatchers to deputies is DANGEROUS. A road patrol Sergeant routinely supervises between five and fifteen people, but what justification does "anyone" have to have between 50 and sometimes 100 different deputies from different assignments (TAC, CP, Road, CSA's, Motors & Traffic, and sometimes OCB agents and Detectives) all on the same channel for one dispatcher. The nationwide standard is 35 to 1. Commo has always been treated like the red-headed step child. One day the attrition is going to dwindle perosnnel down to nothing but supervisors; and we all know everyone wants to be a supervisor at PBSO because they know they don't have to work anymore. Working supervisors are a dying breed and it shows. All of the worker-bees will eventually flee the flock.
If you told road deputies that they had to find another deputy to fill in for their vacation days, there is no doubt the doo-doo would hit the fan. How would you like to have to beg, plead and borrow with fellow co-workers just so you can take time off to get your head back together and wind down and then be told that one of the days in the middle of your vacation isn't covered so you'll have to come in. No wonder people drop out of the Comm Center in droves. (This doesn't happen in HR, Accounting, Corrections, Records, etc...) On top of the vacation time burden the commo girls are subjected to (by the way supervisors and managment don''t have to find a replacement for their vacation); Comp time is routinely denied whcih is a VIOLATION of FEDERAL FLSA law. Comp can't be denied with proper notification. If it is denied and there is no "True emergency" its then its a violation, but management won't telll you that and they'll keep breaking the law and violating the rules until someone says NO. It is unacceptable and this is a routine and practice that has cultivated a crisis where deputies have to supplement the staffing. How can you call Commo a career when these obstacles are stacked in front of you as tall as the Empire State Building.
The solution is a 35 to 1 ratio for dispatchers combined with the new computer system of lap top capability. It's sad that management won't touch the 35 to 1 issue.
Law enforcement, Corrections, and every other divison in the Sheriff's Office doesn't have an issue with retaining and training personnel, but Commo does. These girls are treated just like constitutionally sworn deputies during hurricanes or state of emergencies. They're right there on 10/100 status with law enforcement and corrections and their level of commitment is higher than any of the other civilian positions, but the civilains in accounting and Human Resources get paid an equal salary with a less than adequate level of commitment. Yes, money is the issue. It is with life and everything else. If money wasn't an issue why are these retired guys and gals begging to come back. They either don't have a life or they're scamming the system and double dipping and if they're taking a senior management position, they're hurting the agency with their dinosaur mentality.
One thing is undeniable, it is easier to get rid of a supervisor, manager or any other high ranking offical than it is to get rid of the workers. When a crisis hits a police department and causes problems, the chief is the first to go. Supervisors can be changed like the weather, but the job has to get done. Stop getting rid of the workers and hold those responsible for the problems accountable for once, just once please.

As stated before, if you don't like it here, go somewhere else.

02-18-2007, 10:43 PM

Wow if you are that miserable, you need to get out of Law Enforcement. It's amazing. All of sudden after Pat leaves the message board everyone starts bashing something about this agency. All agencies have problems many more than PBSO. Stop complaining for god sakes.

02-19-2007, 12:41 AM
One definition of humility is an honest appraisal of one's self, good and bad.

I enjoy working here and think we are top notch. I also think that there is always room for improvement in any organization. The guys who say "if you don't like it quit" would be bagging at Publix if it wasn't for this job.

If anyone has any constructive and realisitic replies, we'd all love to hear them.

02-23-2007, 08:45 PM
The original poster was dead-on. The girls up there do an amazing job and are treated extremely poorly. If D/Ses were treated the way the commo personnel are, Kaz' and Mac's PBA phones would melt.

To the person who posted the "If you don't like it here, leave" message: Guess what? They are. There's been a mass exodus from up there over the last year and a half.

02-24-2007, 02:22 AM
The original poster was dead-on. The girls up there do an amazing job and are treated extremely poorly. If D/Ses were treated the way the commo personnel are, Kaz' and Mac's PBA phones would melt.

To the person who posted the "If you don't like it here, leave" message: Guess what? They are. There's been a mass exodus from up there over the last year and a half.

To all communications personnel. You have a really tuff job. Keep up the good work and know the guys/girls on the road support you.

Been There, Done That
02-25-2007, 04:05 PM
You want to know why the span of control is so great? Here is why. The stress level for those men/women in "Crystal Palace" is so high, they can hardly keep people up there. That’s why they pay people to come up and answer the phones. Do you realize for a LONG time, those poor people have had to eat at their consoles? Think how busy it is. It takes them about 2 hours to eat their food that way and guess what???? ITS COLD ! ! I haven’t been called away from 40 in a while but I know I never liked it. But it sure beats eating cold. They have to get in line to go to the bathroom. For us guys its easy, in-out & back again. The girls have it a little harder. It just not possible to make more channels if you don’t have the people to man the radios. Remember when there was NO inquiry, or it was shut down due to no body to put there? If I had to come off the road and go upstairs, I don’t know if I could do it. I used to work OT up there a few years ago. After I trained and was by myself on the phones one night, it was a mad house. After a series of nasty calls, I stood up, ripped the head set off my head and said, YOU DONT GET PAID ENOUGH FOR THIS JUNK ! ! And I still feel the same way today. They should be under our heart bill protection and have the 3% multiplier for retirement as well. Just one cops humble opinion.

02-26-2007, 02:10 AM
To Dispatcher C.N. - It's 11:47!

02-27-2007, 01:45 AM
The men and women in Communications are the actual backbone of any agency. If not for them, we could not do our jobs. They do an excellent job. They are overworked but continue to support us. Presently there is a bill in front of our Senators and Congressmen to allow Communications to up their retirement to 3%. Please show your support and write or call your Senator and Congressman. We need to show our support for these hard working employees. God bless them all.

02-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I have felt for a long time that dispatchers should be on par with deputies. Same pay scale, same retirement. Anyone who doesn't think so is just plain ignorant. I've seen both jobs, while theirs is safer, it is much much harder.

02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
I agree with the positive note that Commo is the support unit that has a major role in the functionality of this dept. Its obvious without a doubt they are overworked and not given the kudos they deserve.

Now onto the problem solving part of it....

Why didn't PBA or anyone else think of blanketing Commo under patrol for representation?

They could have been under the bargaining representation with our initial contract. When Greenacres Public Safety signed their first contract the agency was a family united under one contract regardless of the issue in front of Senators or legislation now.....thats right Commo, EMS, Fire and Police were represented on there initial contract no one was left out like in ours, which was strange because there was such a big push for parity with Corrections and Baliff's, If you remember which means Commo was neglected.......

Hence, the scuttlebutt constantly on this forum. If we dont dicuss it somwhere then we can't fix it because no one knows about it......

Those who say we complain or whine are those who don't want to deal with it or fix the problem because they hope we'll just go away. And If we do voice it in front of others then we are inocently moved to where we'll keep quiet, go figure.....

Hang in there Commo we'll "get r done" every day placing our lives on the line for the sake of others w/o calous for our own.

United we stand!!!!

I have felt for a long time that dispatchers should be on par with deputies. Same pay scale, same retirement. Anyone who doesn't think so is just plain ignorant. I've seen both jobs, while theirs is safer, it is much much harder.

02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree commo works hard no doubt. But I don't think they should be paid as much as a deputy. I haven't been to too many commo funerals. Theres lots of professions that work harder then cops, doesn't mean they should be paid as much. Plus LEO's have shorter life expectency's. Whens the last time a dispatchers' been punched, spit on, slapped, stabbed, shot or killed.

03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Nothin 4 nothin there "Big Guy", I guess you have never spent much time upstairs or really reading this thread entirely. The stress level for those working the radio for hours is out of control. What they do gives a new meaning to MULTI tasking. Our stress level is only what we make of it on the road, if it bothers you we can move around to the airport, courts, contracts whatever...Commo is stuck with limited breaks, and no fresh air, no access to stopping by Duffy's, Chili's, Starbucks or whatever in between calls and NO collective bargaining to represent there concerns. hence there problems keeping good people in there; stress, tough working conditions lead to poor health and which means shorter life as you put it. Don't forget stress is the number 1 heart disease and no one in commo is protected under the "Heart Bill" like patrol is something to consider before a response like that....

I agree commo works hard no doubt. But I don't think they should be paid as much as a deputy. I haven't been to too many commo funerals. Theres lots of professions that work harder then cops, doesn't mean they should be paid as much. Plus LEO's have shorter life expectency's. Whens the last time a dispatchers' been punched, spit on, slapped, stabbed, shot or killed.

03-04-2007, 05:49 PM
The failures in Communications start at the top. Leadership defines morale and establishes success. The poor morale is a direct reflection of the poor and inexperienced leadership. About 30% of the supervisory staff in the Communications Center can actually get on a radio and do the job. Just ask one of them to sit down and try it one day. You'd get a deer in the headlights look or be given an excuse. How can you promote a person with less than two years of experience to a supervisor's position? Well PBSO did and you wonder why there are problems. The denying of Comp time is absolutely crazy. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!!! I can't believe the PBSO lawyers aren't busting down the door to mgmt. and reading them the riot act. Then having to find a person to work your shift so you can go on vacation. That in itself should bring a changing of the guard at the top, but I guess its okay to treat those peeps in communications like a bunch of black mules in Mexico. The PBA should take commo under their wing. The guys and gals of commo have been searching for union representation. Sounds like somoeone just doesn't want to have to really work; they'd rather be playing golf or planning a conference trip with union dues.
And for the rejects who don't like the postings on this site. Too bad. The 1st Amendment guarantees we can exercise our speech and the more offensive and vulgar the more it is protected, plus the 5th Amendment says we can say as much or nothing at all. Just go back to your FOG given position and remember you'll never be respected for being FOG-moted.
If any deputy had a person go off on them like a Marine Corps Drill Instructor out on the street, that person would get restrained in cuffs at the least and probably end up going to jail. Next time one of these **** citizens who isn't employed, doesn't vote and is probably and illegal alien goes off on you, hang the **** up on the **** Oh maybe not, the supervisors may counsel you and tell you what a bad dispatcher you are while at the same time they deny your comp day and tell you you can't get vacation. Man, those girls in Commo must have their blood boiling everytime they see these other civilains taking thier 4 to 5 smoking breaks outside for twenty minutes at a shot coupled with their one hour lunch and one hour PBSO gym membership aerobics class. No wonder the girls in commo are mad. They deserve more than a few words on this site, they deserve a leadership that can handle the job.

03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
To Dispatcher C.N. - It's 11:47!

Thanks for the props, but it is actually 23:19 8)

03-06-2007, 12:41 AM
im sure once the SO goes computerized for deputies, and deputies can actually read the calls for themselves, do 95's, 28/29 on their own, a large amount of radio traffic will be reduced..

lets get those laptops running and distributed!

03-06-2007, 01:58 AM
im sure once the SO goes computerized for deputies, and deputies can actually read the calls for themselves, do 95's, 28/29 on their own, a large amount of radio traffic will be reduced..

lets get those laptops running and distributed!

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for laptops on the road...

Do I mind the amount of radio traffic? No, bring it on 8)

But I also recognize that sometimes road units would like to be able to do a little 10-17 on their own, without the need for keying up (rolling 28, unoccupied s/13, 27/95/Palms not 10-12, etc). What is often challenging is not just the amount of radio traffic, it is the (sometimes slow or on the verge of crashing) CADS system, or perhaps short staffing, or maybe a 2 hour old lunch that I can't take a bite of unless somebody straps on my feed bag, or maybe a major incident in another district. You cannot see behind the scenes into Commo, as we cannot see what you are dealing with on the road at any given moment, and I've experienced some of that. This hopefully results in respect for each-other and the fact that most of us couldn't take on the other's job.

That being said: I LOVE and am PROUD of what I do, and WHERE I do it. I think of officer safety first and foremost; no matter how frustrating a few of you may be, I'll do whatever I can to prepare you for what you're 51 to, or who you're out with. And yes, I try to enjoy myself a little while I'm at it. Would someone else pay me more for my work? Maybe, maybe not. Would I be happier anywhere else? No. The grass might look greener on the other side of the fence, but as Mama always said "it's usually because that grass is growing over a septic tank" :wink:

03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
The grass is greener outside of PBSO......Leaving was the best thing I could of done. Yes I miss the working with the guys and the busy radio traffic....BUT I don't miss begging a coworker to come get me up so I can go to the bathroom, or beg, plead and borrow time from coworkers so I can take a day off. ALSO don't miss the GOSSIPING - THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL - TALK BEHIND YOUR BACK - BACKSTABBING - DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING coworkers I encountered. So I offer encouragement to not be afraid of whats outside of PBSO. There are greener pastures and not the ones over the septic tank. The comm center was over the septic tank.

03-07-2007, 03:18 AM
The grass is greener outside of PBSO......Leaving was the best thing I could of done. Yes I miss the working with the guys and the busy radio traffic....BUT I don't miss begging a coworker to come get me up so I can go to the bathroom, or beg, plead and borrow time from coworkers so I can take a day off. ALSO don't miss the GOSSIPING - THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL - TALK BEHIND YOUR BACK - BACKSTABBING - DON'T KNOW A darn THING coworkers I encountered. So I offer encouragement to not be afraid of whats outside of PBSO. There are greener pastures and not the ones over the septic tank. The comm center was over the septic tank.

I know you're not talking about another agency in PBC. Most city dispatchers can't come close to a PBSO dispatcher. Our guys and girls are among the best. Keep up the good work and always remember there isn't a better place to work. I've been all over the southeast and haven't found it.

03-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Well this is my 2 cents worth, for whoever cares anyhow. First of all, don't think of commo as all the "Girls" because there are some guys to, including my self. Second, I agree with Disp, I love my job, and I do get upset with some of the Road Guys, but it's nothing I try to hold a grudge against. :D Next, to who ever is saying that Dispatchers don't deserve to get the same pay or be on the same level as a Deputy as far as pay is concerned, you come up stairs for one night, just one shift, and then you tell me that. You sit and try to do my job for one night, and you may have a new respect for what we do. I will admit, when I go to work I don't have to worry about wearing a Vest, carrying a Gun, or watching my back all the time, but I do have to worry about watching yours. We are expected to be 100% accurate with what we do all the time, and there are some Supervisors (both on the road and in dispatch) that call us on it every time!
I will say, that I respect each and every Deputy who works out there day after day, and does what he/she needs to do, and does it with out question.
One thing I do wonder though, if some of you all respect your dispatchers, why would you even question our pay, and us not being on par with a Deputy? If we wern't there, what would you do? Are you able to talk on the radio, call ems, and put someone out on a 1050 all at the same time? Would you be able to after our 16 week training program? Just a thought.....

03-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Dispatchers deserve the same bennies: salary and high -risk retirment as sworn employees.

No, their job isnt dangerous, but it is much harder than ours.

Here's the litmus test. Most dispatchers could be deputies if they wanted to be.

Only a small fraction of deputies could be dispatchers if they wanted to be.

If you think I'm wrong, go watch them in action for an hour, just sit there, shut up and watch. It'll be a real eye opener for you.

03-30-2007, 02:06 AM
You have got to be kidding about the paying Dispatchers the same as Deputies with a High Risk pension. How about the following instead:

1. Unlimited Fudge
2. Membership to a gym
3. Attitude Re-Training
4. Application and good reference for employment at Denny's

P.S. Get over it, it you don’t like your job just quit.

03-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Hey Just Kidding,
I dare you to Identify your self... I bet you won't. You obviously have no idea what happen's in Commo. I bet you are one of the those Deputies who give us all the attitude, think we are a "Burden" when we 1004 check you, or just plain don't know how to talk on a radio. I also challenge you to come up stairs and observe for one hour. Just one hour, and see what its like, again I don't ever think you will be man or woman enough to, but come up stairs and sit, and we will let you work a little, just to see what its like.

P.S. I do love my job, but I have ingrate's like you!

03-31-2007, 02:54 AM
You have got to be kidding about the paying Dispatchers the same as Deputies with a High Risk pension. How about the following instead:

1. Unlimited Fudge
2. Membership to a gym
3. Attitude Re-Training
4. Application and good reference for employment at Denny's

P.S. Get over it, it you don’t like your job just quit.

All those nice comments and then we get a jackass like "your kidding". I guess there always has to be one. i'll refrain from replying with immature remarks like you typed. instead if you have so many negative things to say about Commo, i suggest you take a trip up here and tell them to my face. Look for Scott !!!!

Been There, Done That
03-31-2007, 04:36 PM
All those nice comments and then we get a jackarse like "your kidding". I guess there always has to be one. i'll refrain from replying with immature remarks like you typed. instead if you have so many negative things to say about Commo, i suggest you take a trip up here and tell them to my face. Look for Scott !!!![/quote]

I must agree.......Even if its just for grins and giggles, take a few hours and go up there one time.....Pick up a headset and answer a few phone calls......You wont be grinning long. It will give you a new appreciation for what they have to do up there.....Eating at your station rather than getting to take a break and eat in peace.....getting "in line" to use the bathroom.....People will cal about and DEAMAND we respond.....ever wonder how many stupid calls we DONT go on???? You might be surprised. I used to work OT up there answering the phones.......after a 4 hour shot of that, sometimes you are ready to just get drunk and forget.....
All jokes aside, go up and get the BIGGEST SURPRISE yuo have had in a while. If you still feel they dont deserve more than they have, then you must be the one refered to as "Super Trooper".

04-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, it seems that there are opposing views to what we (disp) do or don't deserve. You know what they say about "opinions"... Those nay-sayers on the road are likely the ones that are dissatisfied with what "they" get in pay and bennies. Some people will NEVER be satisfied. Some people have the current generation's sense of entitlement...

I had some pretty witty responses to the bonehead a few posts above, including comments about "fudge" - I'm sure you know all about that... and "gym memberships" - I can bench more than you, and yes, I'm just a girrrl... What purpose would that serve but to incite more of the same?

I could speak volumes about the differences in the jobs of road deputies and dispatchers, and never even come close to figuring out who deserves what. Heck, they're advertising ON A POPULAR RADIO STATION that a PD in Dade wants the best of the best and they're willing to pay Officers in the $70s to start. If it were merely a matter of money we'd see a mass convoy of green/whites down I95 to apply, wouldn't we? And yet, I'll bet that many would STILL have something to b!tch about while pulling that kind of salary. Attitudes don't change because of money or bennies... A person's attitude is a direct reflection of their level of commitment, and their character.

One thing is true: A crappy attitude/slacker deputy or dispatcher can make others have a tougher shift. I know for myself when certain people key up on my channel, one of two things can happen: I either crack half a smile or my sphincter tightens up... I'm sure on the road's side of things the same can happen when certain dispatchers go 10-8 on their channels. An attitude can change SO much. I'm not talking about holding hands and singing folk songs... I'm just content with the quality of my job (and my life) and I conduct myself accordingly.

04-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, it seems that there are opposing views to what we (disp) do or don't deserve. You know what they say about "opinions"... Those nay-sayers on the road are likely the ones that are dissatisfied with what "they" get in pay and bennies. Some people will NEVER be satisfied. Some people have the current generation's sense of entitlement...

I had some pretty witty responses to the bonehead a few posts above, including comments about "fudge" - I'm sure you know all about that... and "gym memberships" - I can bench more than you, and yes, I'm just a girrrl... What purpose would that serve but to incite more of the same?

I could speak volumes about the differences in the jobs of road deputies and dispatchers, and never even come close to figuring out who deserves what. Heck, they're advertising ON A POPULAR RADIO STATION that a PD in Dade wants the best of the best and they're willing to pay Officers in the $70s to start. If it were merely a matter of money we'd see a mass convoy of green/whites down I95 to apply, wouldn't we? And yet, I'll bet that many would STILL have something to b!tch about while pulling that kind of salary. Attitudes don't change because of money or bennies... A person's attitude is a direct reflection of their level of commitment, and their character.

One thing is true: A crappy attitude/slacker deputy or dispatcher can make others have a tougher shift. I know for myself when certain people key up on my channel, one of two things can happen: I either crack half a smile or my sphincter tightens up... I'm sure on the road's side of things the same can happen when certain dispatchers go 10-8 on their channels. An attitude can change SO much. I'm not talking about holding hands and singing folk songs... I'm just content with the quality of my job (and my life) and I conduct myself accordingly.

My error, my response was to be entitled "Denny's turned me down" 8)

05-30-2007, 10:12 AM
you know the "squeeky wheel gets the grease" well commo is the opposite, we don't squeek, least not loud enough. we ARE the red headed step child, always told to do our duty and maybe, just MAYBE, we'll get our dinner, but don't expect it hot! not all of us think it's THAT bad here, but truly it could be MUCH better. i feel that most of the 'issues' are not exactly with policies, per se, but more with co-workers and personel. there must be some underlying issue tho as it seems we keep ppl around just cuz they can do the job, it doesn't even have to be done well either. we have ppl who bend and break rules to stick around or get their way and they're treated better than the ones who break their backs working consistanly throughout the year. who take little vacation/comp days and who are more than willing to help out with calls. when it comes to THEM making a mistake the, perverbial, book is thrown at them and they're put under a microscope, but when a 'career' policy offender does somthing wrong it's a slap on the wrist, a long talke ending with jokes and buddy buddy actions and they're awarded OT for those few mins after their shift. personal is the much larger problem than policies, IMO. From simple call takers/dispatchers up to upper management. someone, somewhere, is litterally sucking the morale out of commo, and we are about to see a shift and change of 'season'. i hope that new season will be a season of good and high morale. this cannot continue successfully.

05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Dear Commo,
May I just say that since I started here 5 yrs ago, I have not had one problem with you. I think you do an incredible job that I freely admit, I could not do. Most of the time, I can tell that the dispatcher has MY safety at priority and usually it seems like she/he bends over backwards to get what I need. I'm not entirely sure why other people have issues with you. Respect on the radio goes both ways. I guess there are one or two cranky voices coming over main, but you would find that anywhere. I came from another agency, and let me tell you, things are very different here. You guys are way more professional, skilled and patient. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

05-31-2007, 10:55 PM
First of all I have to laugh everytime I log onto this web site to see how my fellow co-workers talk about each other and who is or isnt doing there job or who's job is more important. when I got hired years ago I knew there was a bigger picture for me. I instantly gained a family I never in my life dreamed I would have both on the road and in commo. Yes commo is a hard job and we are under appreciated most of the time but for most dispatchers we are here and stay because we love what we do and couldnt see ourselves any place else. No I may not be liked by everyone and I may not like certain people but that shouldnt ever stop us from always being professionally and doing what we have to do. There are alot of things we wish we could change but until we are in a position to make or assist with these changes we have to accept it. Commo and the road need to work with each other and respect our own jobs for what they are and yes if more d/s would come up and see what we do it might give you a whole different outlook. We shouldnt look at whose life expectancy is less or who carries a gun or who sits behind a radio we should look at without each other we couldnt do our jobs properly and make sure everyone goes home at night. I realize everyone needs to vent which is a good thing but we shouldnt be throwing stones non of us we should be sticking together and doing our jobs. And before those of you get started I didnt write this thinking about grammer or run on sentences or anything just trying to make a point. And the next time you d/s are out with some scum bag or an occupied s/10 or one of your zone partners yells for help and the only one that recognizes the voice is your dispatcher and gets that d/s the help they need think about this....

06-01-2007, 04:14 AM
Disp is a hard job, no doubting it. But to say that they should get the same pay and benney's is preposturious! I started in disp. When I saw how bad the job was and how lousy the pay and retirement was, I put in for LE and got accepted. If they want more money and a better retirement, put in for LE or Detention. It's that simple.

06-01-2007, 12:26 PM
In my district, the dispatchers work hard. The deputies are pushing calls, and the dispatchers are doing the same. I give them credit for the hard work they do. Even when they get the, "ATTITUDE," on the radio. That one is for you Dave. You know what i'm talking about!
Don't be so worried about pay, and benefits. They can get a piece of the pie just like the rest of us. They earn it. If you don't agree, your probably one of those guys on channel one who goes 10-40 during 10-33. And yes, you know who you are. :!: :!: :!:

06-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Im guessing being in communications didnt teach you anything. I cant believe you posted the message that you did. No everyone's pay should match the job that you do. I can honestly say I dont think dispatcher's deserve the same pay grade as a d/s but I do beleive we deserve to be high risk. Everyone's situation is different and there are alot of single parents in communications that cant go to the road because of family issues so good for you that your a d/s now but if that's the case why did you use communications as your stepping stone to go to the road?? why didnt you just apply for law enforcement?? And do you work ot in commo?? so you dont mind coming up as much as it is to get your $30 dollars and hour. Oh and Im probably sure you still pretend to be friends with these people you talk so poorly about. You need to take a good look at where u are and remember where u came from.

06-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Dispatchers need to fix the problems with in their own ranks before complaining about others (supervisors) or other things. When you have a brand new hire class with every one in the class having some form of experience with other agencies, and a dispatcher who is now a supervisor comes in right off the bat and says "I love my job, I get to tell deputies what to do" and if that’s not bad enough, "Its not hard sitting in a green and white looking pretty try doing my job." I wander why certain deputies have so much distain for certain dispatchers.

Remember one thing, if you give deputies cell phones we could do your job, but you could not jump in our green and whites and do ours. With the computers coming in, your job will get easier and maybe with in the near future obsolete.

This does not apply to BIG

06-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Dispatchers need to fix the problems with in their own ranks before complaining about others (supervisors) or other things. When you have a brand new hire class with every one in the class having some form of experience with other agencies, and a dispatcher who is now a supervisor comes in right off the bat and says "I love my job, I get to tell deputies what to do" and if that’s not bad enough, "Its not hard sitting in a green and white looking pretty try doing my job." I wander why certain deputies have so much distain for certain dispatchers.

Remember one thing, if you give deputies cell phones we could do your job, but you could not jump in our green and whites and do ours. With the computers coming in, your job will get easier and maybe with in the near future obsolete.

06-02-2007, 03:07 AM

Alrighty then!!!! The next time you're faced with someone attempting to KICK YO **** right after you've approached them (after making an incorrect traffic stop-TLC-) and asked for their registration, JUST GRABBED YOUR CELL PHONE AND CALL FOR BACK UP!!! PS-Make sure your **** GOT THE FAMILY PLAN WITH NEXTEL,..--SO YOU COULD CALL AT LEAST TWO OTHER DEPUTIES AT THE SAME TIME!!! SINCE YOU DON'T NEED A DISPTACHER!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

06-02-2007, 03:15 AM
[quote="Deputy 1":lrryf0wn]Dispatchers need to fix the problems with in their own ranks before complaining about others (supervisors) or other things. When you have a brand new hire class with every one in the class having some form of experience with other agencies, and a dispatcher who is now a supervisor comes in right off the bat and says "I love my job, I get to tell deputies what to do" and if that’s not bad enough, "Its not hard sitting in a green and white looking pretty try doing my job." I wander why certain deputies have so much distain for certain dispatchers.

Alrighty then!!!! The next time you're faced with someone attempting to KICK YO **** right after you've approached them (after making an incorrect traffic stop-TLC-) and asked for their registration, JUST GRABBED YOUR CELL PHONE AND CALL FOR BACK UP!!! PS-Make sure your **** GOT THE FAMILY PLAN WITH NEXTEL,..--SO YOU COULD CALL AT LEAST TWO OTHER DEPUTIES AT THE SAME TIME!!! SINCE YOU DON'T NEED A DISPTACHER!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:lrryf0wn]

I’m sorry for my previous posts and I made an acronym out of my name just for you.

Deputy 1 = Dispatcher Every Person Understands That You’re 1 of the most important parts in the law enforcement field and I’m truly sorry for ragging on you. :) :)

06-03-2007, 08:40 PM
[quote="Oh No U Didn't":18yu6eix][quote="Deputy 1":18yu6eix]Dispatchers need to fix the problems with in their own ranks before complaining about others (supervisors) or other things. When you have a brand new hire class with every one in the class having some form of experience with other agencies, and a dispatcher who is now a supervisor comes in right off the bat and says "I love my job, I get to tell deputies what to do" and if that’s not bad enough, "Its not hard sitting in a green and white looking pretty try doing my job." I wander why certain deputies have so much distain for certain dispatchers.

Alrighty then!!!! The next time you're faced with someone attempting to KICK YO **** right after you've approached them (after making an incorrect traffic stop-TLC-) and asked for their registration, JUST GRABBED YOUR CELL PHONE AND CALL FOR BACK UP!!! PS-Make sure your **** GOT THE FAMILY PLAN WITH NEXTEL,..--SO YOU COULD CALL AT LEAST TWO OTHER DEPUTIES AT THE SAME TIME!!! SINCE YOU DON'T NEED A DISPTACHER!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:18yu6eix]

I’m sorry for my previous posts and I made an acronym out of my name just for you.

Deputy 1 = Dispatcher Every Person Understands That You’re 1 of the most important parts in the law enforcement field and I’m truly sorry for ragging on you. :) :)[/quote:18yu6eix]

Let me teach you something about officer safety (and no it’s not the practice of safe guarding your counsel from the soda that you spilt so you don't get shocked)

Since commo is a waste of time and utterly worthless, I have someone with a real computer, every time I give him a 28 he runs it, gives me the info and can automatically runs the R.O. My shift/unit wolf packs, we take care of each other. We always have back up and we work on a side channel (while one of radios are on the main channel so that we can monitor other deputies around the district), we never let just one person handle a traffic stop and we always know where everyone is. Trust me it’s a lot safer than relying on commo (especially when there too busy trying to be clever by making up ridiculous acronyms). The only time commo hears my voice is when I go 10-8,10-7 or when the traffic stop is all done and I have people in custody, then and only then do I switch to the respective channel and it's only for a case number and to go on record that I made a 10-15. Trust me, commo is not, and will never be the deciding factor on weather or not I get my butt kicked.

I don't know why you are getting so upset. We both get what we want, you don't have to do any work, and I can get my job done, in a timely manner and a lot safer. As far as I am concerned it’s a win win situation.

Been There, Done That
06-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I said it once and I will say it AGAIN ! ! ! Commo does NOT have it easy in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM ! ! NO I was never a PBSO dispatcher, but I have worked OT up there, but it was a few years ago. I used to work the 4 hour shifts up there either from 3-7 or 7-11.....Let me tell ya, at the end of 4 hours during that time frame, I could actually FEEL the tension and stress. It is a HIGH stress level job. I don’t hold it against the people up there for trying to get the high risk pension. It doesn’t take away from me.
All I can suggest is give yourselves a SHOCK and the commo people a BREAK and actually go up there and pick up the phones and type up a call and listen to the junk they take from people calling in. We all know how it is...people get a BIG MOUTH when they are on the phone and then are like mice when we get there...go figure.

I have had issues with dispatchers too…WE ALL HAVE. But look at the big picture. GO UP THERE AND SIT IN THEIR SHOES FOR A SHIFT ! ! You are guaranteed to get a new perspective. I think it should be part of FTO training for a rookie to go up there for a week. It’s a Humbling experience to say the least.

06-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Im thinking of creating a bumper sticker for my grn/wht that says I LOVE MY DISPATCHER. I love you guys upstairs! Especially when other districts are calling out 10-40's in the middle of a 10-33 or during a in progress call/traffic stop and dispatch puts them in place. Its good to know that commo understands who needs radio priority etc. I understand there jobs is very difficult as is ours so I will support them whenever.

Thank you for your part in making sure I GO HOME ALIVE EVERY NIGHT!
and will keep in mind that when the stress level rises and it becomes apperent over the radio, I will not answer with attitudes or sarcasms remarks.

PS...I was kidding about the bumper sticker, but the sentiment is true.

From a southend district 1 D/S NIGHTS.

06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
The bumper sticler might not be a bad idea......It sure beats 'Putting Citizens First".

Ihave a WORLD of respect for thoe up in "Crystal Palace".....especially since i have spent time up there.....IMHO, they just dont make enough money for the junk they put up with...both from the public and some of the guys on the street. Be kind to your dispatchers. Remember when YOU were new, or tired, or hungry and made mistakes.....

06-29-2007, 10:23 PM
You need to give credit where credit is due. I have sat up there many times to observe what they do and I have become friendly with many dispatchers, because I know what they have to deal with. They have a greater responsibility than most of us can imagine, especially if you don't sit up there once in a while to see. They are very nice and do not mind if you take the time to sit with them and watch them work. No, they are not just a bunch of chicks who sit and eat food while watching TV and polishing their nails. Sure, sometimes you hear them laughing, but they have a very demanding job with alot of responsibility. They are listening to their radio and paying attention to your traffic while talking on the phone to a supervisor, 10-70, EMS, whoever. Then after giving out an emergency call and gathering updates from the desk that deputies are calling yelling the radio for, someone usually gives out a 10-50 because they don't listen to their radio, now they have to deal with that. But now, someone's screaming for help and now they have to deal with that while other units on other non-priority calls are asking them for other stuff which they could just call the desk for later. You should think about these things, believe me they work very hard for their money and I was given a form to fill out by one dispatcher with regards to an extra type of pay and/ or compensation. I didn't think twice when I filled it out.
In my job, I make alot of 10-50's and I'm on the radio all night with traffic. I don't ask them for stupid stuff only if I need something otherwise I call up later and get what I need. Don't ask if anything came back yet, you'll be the first to know when something comes back. Most of them are good to me because I respect everything they do for us and I make sure I tell one of them when I see them in the hall at HQ or bring them coffee once in a while just to say thanks for doing a great job for us who work the streets. Give them a raise, they sure as heck earn it. I could not do their job. It's good to know that they are dedicated to their's because our lives depend on them.

Commo Dispatch
06-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, its nice to see some positive response's on this subject finally, and for Deputy 1, thanks for the compliment (ref BIG).

And DUI guy, I appriciate all the kind words, and I appriciate you doing your job. I'm sure your probably on your way to a detail or will be doing one later, but if your not, stay safe next time your out! That goes for all of you!

Now, this is an idea I just had. I challenge any and all Deputies, Officers, readers, etc. of this board to come up to commo and sit with me. It doesn't have to be 8 or even 4 hours, but I challenge you to do it. You come and sit with me, and yes I am a FTO so I can have 10-12's if I don't have a trainee, and let me show you what we do, if you have never sat up stairs before. I'm not talking about the quick "This is commo, this is Dist 1, these are the calls were holding.. I mean come and sit down with a dispatcher and watch their job. Anyone who thinks we don't do a job just as hard, just in a different way, please take me up on it, and I will in turn come and let you show me what's hard about your job. Anytakers???

06-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Even though I haven't been on the job "forever". I've been here long enough to breathe a sigh of relief when I hear some of my favorite dispatchers go 10-8. I do realize that you guys and gals in the "Crystal Palace " have a stressful job, just as I do... I think some people are stereotyping dispatchers the same way we do some D/S , which is unfair. I do hate it when I get atittude over the radio , but there are only a few people that I expect it from... So to my favorite dispatchers, thank-you for having my back!!!