PDA

View Full Version : Is ZPD a good place to work?

02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Hello. I'm a deputy with the Pasco Sheriff's Office and I'm giving some thought to changing employers. I've read the pitiful remarks on this web site, but I'm still hoping I will get an honest reply from someone within the agency about the working conditions of ZPD.

If I get the typical, "it sucks, our police chief is an idiotic moron", I will take that with a grain of salt. My own agency is full of people just like that, just take a look at our board.

Some of the questions I have about ZPD are:

1. What is the starting pay? Am I brought in at a higher scale based on my experience and training? (I have 7 years w/ the S.O. and I'm a FTO)

2. What is the retirement system with the agency? FRS?

3. Is there a take home car policy?

4. Is there union representation?

5. What is the advancement opportunity with the agency? Are investigative opportunities available?

Thank you for you help on this.

02-16-2007, 12:26 AM
you do not want to work here right now. we got issues. look at new port richey pd or dade city pd.. obviously you don't work on the east side. after seven years with the s.o., you would think that you would have the answers to your questions to which i believe your a certain, lets say a chief, trying to change the subject. either way it sucks here right now due to one individual. do i need to say more? i hope i was a help for you! have a great a safe career!

02-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Police chief admits he broke purchasing rules
He ordered Tasers, then sought approval.
By MOLLY MOORHEAD
Published February 16, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Video

ZEPHYRHILLS - Police Chief Russell Barnes stood before City Council members last month, seeking approval of a $50,000 purchase of Tasers. He said he was ordering them directly through the manufacturer, thus saving the city money.

But there was one thing Barnes didn't say: He had already ordered the Tasers, nearly a month earlier.

Barnes acknowledged Thursday that he didn't follow proper purchasing procedures when he ordered the 34 stun guns. City Manager Steve Spina said he has counseled the chief about the matter.

"I went outside the city's approved purchasing policies. I ordered them prior to the council approval," Barnes said.

Barnes ordered the Tasers in late December from Arizona-based Taser International Inc. He said he initially sought to buy them on a payment plan, but the company then changed its own policy. That meant Zephyrhills' 34 Tasers would have to be paid for in a lump sum of almost $50,000.

The chief said he was "foggy" on the part of the city policy requiring council approval on any purchase of more than $10,000.

Invoices obtained from City Hall show the Tasers were shipped on Dec. 30 and 31. The purchase caught the notice of finance department employees, who directed the chief to put the matter on a council meeting agenda.

Barnes did so Jan. 22. In his presentation, though, he didn't indicate the purchase already had been made. He explained the advantage of bypassing vendors to buy the Tasers and said the money for them was already in the budget.

"We're requesting the permission to go ahead and make that purchase," he said in the meeting.

City Council member Celia Graham said she learned only later that the Tasers had already been ordered.

"I assumed that he was there to ask for our approval so that he could go ahead with the purchasing process," Graham said Thursday. "The presentation lent itself to that interpretation, in my opinion.

"Typically if someone comes to City Council for approval of a purchase, it is understood that the purchase has not been made."

Graham said she has asked for all the relevant documents and plans to speak with Spina about the issue.

Spina said Thursday he told the chief that the purchase wasn't handled well and the steps weren't done in the right order. But he said he's not concerned that city funds were misappropriated.

"I don't think there was any intent to do anything improper," he said.

Molly Moorhead can be reached at 352 521-6521 or moorhead@sptimes.com.

02-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes I do have a question... by reading this article, what was the punishment for lying to the City Council? Was this part of the counselling by the City Manager?

I recall a statement on this site awhile back about H.I.T.. Where is the Honesty and Integrity of this chief?

A Real Man would of got up and explained to the Council that I made a mistake. All I see are excuses being made.

I, at first believed the officers were a little harsh on their leader but, I'm starting to see the light.

I apoligize for sticking my nose in your business on this site, but I wonder what my tax dollars are paying for at the police department.

Am I to expect more of these embarrassing mishaps to surface in the newspaper? I certainly hope not.

02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
you do not want to work here right now. we got issues. look at new port richey pd or dade city pd.. obviously you don't work on the east side. after seven years with the s.o., you would think that you would have the answers to your questions to which i believe your a certain, lets say a chief, trying to change the subject. either way it sucks here right now due to one individual. do i need to say more? i hope i was a help for you! have a great a safe career!

OK, well thank you, but for what I don't know. I asked a pretty simple, straight forward question and as expected, got a useless response. But, you'd maybe like to know that I'm not the chief. I'm pretty sure I would excel in your department, it can't be too hard to distinguish yourself from the employees who post on this site. Also, one more thing, I do work the east side. But regardless of the problems I "hear" from others, I thought I'd ask about the city police department anyhow. The way I figure it, most of your problems are likely due to yourselves.
Again, thanks for the reply. You helped me make up my mind!

02-22-2007, 11:50 PM
You asked and you got the answer YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE! How simple is that did you not even read the article? Not only that you have the balls to say you read the pitiful remarks and want to know how it is to work here????? You tell me what you want to hear I will tell you and sign it as I lied!!!

02-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Listen, it seems you've got your panties in a wad over nothing here. I wanted to know what ZPD has to offer a prospective employee. I asked about pay and benefits. You posted an aritcle about how your chief asked for money to purchase Tasers after he already ordered them. That tells me something: 1) He made a mistake or he is disrespectful of the city commissioners. Hey, maybe they're a bunch of liberals who wouldn't approve of a purchase for Tasers. Never mind the fact they save more lives than its portrayed they harm. Or, 2) He wanted to be sure to get the weapons at a good price so his staff would be better equipped on the road.
It's not like he went out and bought himself a new SUV or something on the city's dime without prior approval. C'mon man, he got his department much needed weapons. And you're complaining about how he did it? Get real.
Now, in the future, if I need an answer to something, I will seek it out on my own and not ask a current employee. I don't know if your chief is worth his salt or not, but I do know this. If you're the best example of what he has to work with as chief, I'd say he has his work cut out for him. He may never be successful in that city. I'm just guessing here, but neither would anyone else, unless some house cleaning is done first.

02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Save it chief it aint working

02-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Sounds like the "Pet Detective" is back on again!

:lol: :D

03-04-2007, 12:41 AM
How about someone actually answer the questions that were asked. This PSCO employee was extremely specific in the questions about pay, take home cars and such, and not a single one of you did anything but moan and complain about how bad you've got it.
If you really don't think anyone else should work here, why not give some facts other than "the cheif is a moron" and "the cheif stinks" IF the only reason you don't like the agency is because of the cheif, how about you answer the questions about the policies and then say something about the staff. You know, something along the lines of "Most of the officers are great to work with, a few are arrogant, you know, think their sh*t don't stink, but for the most part they are great!"
And if for some reason, there are other excuses (besides the chief is an idiot... yes, we get that you think that) for why you don't like the agency, why not let the deputy know those reasons too, and if you think you have it SO incredibly awful, make things easier for your coworkers and the citizens you serve and find another agency. Theres no reason for you to be serving and protecting me if you don't want to be here.

03-04-2007, 04:29 AM
Spare me So-called deputy... we got other things to discuss besides this b.s. about wanting to know how zpd is. Jump on Largo's site, they have plenty to talk about!

03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Please......this is to all of the non zpd lookers.......the one or two people who keep writing all of this garbage on this site are complete idiots!!! They try to be so witty and creative with snappy comebacks but can't write a good criminal case to save their lives. Don't take my word for it, just ask the sao....they will tell you in a heartbeat who the REAL morons are at zpd.

03-17-2007, 05:11 PM
you ask about working at ZPD, it has its problems just like any other place, and you get out of it what youn put into it, just like any other job. as for the starting pay, take home car, and your other questions, JUST pick up a employent application from the front desk, It answers ALL the questions you have on the first few pages .Then you will know for yourself what is offered, then fill out the application and come in for a interview , you can ask that interview person all the questions you want and will hopefully get a straight answer. as for the Chief he is a OK guy, put if you were in his place and had all these morons backstabbing you and each other how well could you do your job or want to hand out ""at a boys "" when so few deserve them and MOST of them is either out of the office or even when they are in the office they are never there , if you get the drift .If you already have seven years where you are take a look at what you have now and what you will lose, and what you really want to do with you life, IF you are unhappy with your job & yourself ask yourself WHY after being there so long and try to fix what you have. :roll:

03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
you ask about working at ZPD, it has its problems just like any other place, and you get out of it what youn put into it, just like any other job. as for the starting pay, take home car, and your other questions, JUST pick up a employent application from the front desk, It answers ALL the questions you have on the first few pages .Then you will know for yourself what is offered, then fill out the application and come in for a interview , you can ask that interview person all the questions you want and will hopefully get a straight answer. as for the Chief he is a OK guy, put if you were in his place and had all these morons backstabbing you and each other how well could you do your job or want to hand out ""at a boys "" when so few deserve them and MOST of them is either out of the office or even when they are in the office they are never there , if you get the drift .If you already have seven years where you are take a look at what you have now and what you will lose, and what you really want to do with you life, IF you are unhappy with your job & yourself ask yourself WHY after being there so long and try to fix what you have. :roll:

Hi "Pet Detective"! Can anyone advise me if anything was done on the racial joke he sent through the departments e-mail system? I bet not because he is the chief's "Head Detective". We will see if this goes un-heard or no discipline. Ask the chief if he still has a copy. Be careful who you want to talk about F.G..

signed,
Your worst nightmare

03-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Tell me something how can I get a copy of the email that the chief thought was so funny he decided to email it out? I got an idea you can email it to me at CLEM_AKA_NARKY_NARK@HOTMAIL.COM I will keep it a secret I promise..... he he he he

03-19-2007, 01:37 PM
CLEM_AKA_NARKY_NARK IS THE ADDRESS

04-05-2007, 02:50 PM

Hi "Pet Detective"! Can anyone advise me if anything was done on the racial joke he sent through the departments e-mail system? I bet not because he is the chief's "Head Detective". We will see if this goes un-heard or no discipline. Ask the chief if he still has a copy. Be careful who you want to talk about F.G..

signed,
Your worst nightmare

Your worst nightmare is only when you wakeup and look at yourself in the mirror each morning, :twisted: You think you know it all , but your wrong on this one ""NO Pet Detective Here "" but keep guessing 8)

04-06-2007, 12:54 AM
That wasn't the PET DETECTIVE, Bluebird is the chief! I've got a bird for you :evil:

04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
That wasn't the PET DETECTIVE, Bluebird is the chief! I've got a bird for you :evil:

Wrong Again :lol: but keep guessing

04-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Tell me something how can I get a copy of the email that the chief thought was so funny he decided to email it out? I got an idea you can email it to me at CLEM_AKA_NARKY_NARK@HOTMAIL.COM I will keep it a secret I promise..... he he he he

04-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Has anything been done to the officer that sent that e-mail? My guess, not! Another application of no discipline by this chief. Sweep it under the carpet. My question is, if that was another officer (a non-supporter) would action be taken? My guess is... they would not have a job. Another prime example of "Big Problems" within the agency. Good luck guys... there's other options out there.

04-16-2007, 05:30 PM
I have read enough of this sludge, and I have one question: do you idiots write your tickets in crayon? What a bunch of pansies. Why don't you grow up and accept that the chief may suck, but most of you are no better. Bunch of self-important deluded jerks.

04-17-2007, 12:00 AM
I have read enough of this sludge, and I have one question: do you idiots write your tickets in crayon? What a bunch of pansies. Why don't you grow up and accept that the chief may suck, but most of you are no better. Bunch of self-important deluded jerks.

Pet Detective... Pet Detective... Can't you find anything to do but post on your days off? You suck as bad as your daddy! When is your last day so you can go back to reserve. Is the part-time status still going on? Was this position in the budget? Get lost, times have changed since you've been a real cop!

04-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Everytime you have an idea........save your $.02 for a year and you can give yourself a little raise and us a break from stupidity! Ace Ventura.....

04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I didn't know part timers were allowed take home cars?

04-19-2007, 11:26 PM
why, this is allowed if you eat lunch with the chief daily and speak good things on leo affairs about the king. i bet the council don't know. opps :!: sorry :cry:

04-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey guys, it's me - the deputy who started this posting when I asked about the city police department. I thought I would check in and see if any new infomation had been posted. Wow, imagine my surprise to see that not only has my posting turned into quite a hot bed for intelligent thinking and stimulating responses, it has also gotten over 2,000 views! You are so welcome, ZPD. I'm glad I could do something like that for you guys.

Oh, for the people in the department who think I'm the chief, or someone who eats lunch with him: For the record, I'm not. I'm really a deputy with Pasco and I was, let me re-stress the WAS, interested in your department. For now at least, I've decided that I'm going to stay with Pasco. See, the grass isn't greener, at least not on your side of the fence. I think I should be grateful for what I've got right now. Even though it doesn't always seem like it's so good, it's better than I could expect at some other places. I think if I do decide to look into another department, I'll apply with the Dade City PD. Those guys seem to be a little easier to get along with anyhow. I should clarify that last sentence...They seem a little easier to get along with anyhow, as far as I can tell by this string. I don't get to work much with ZPD, but the times I have, things went pretty well. I will always back up a brother or sister, no matter what department they come from, and I will not hold the things I read on this posting against anyone I meet from ZPD. I've just realized that maybe I should remain where I am.

Again, thank you for the very interesting reading here. I believe this string will continue to live on and for that, I am proud. Take care to all who read this, including any citizens who are not law enforcement related. Trust me, please. Not all cops are as immature or mentally deficient as you may believe by reading some of the posts on this site. I'm not even convinced that all of the posters who claim to be cops really are cops. But the saying of "misery loves company" could not be found to be more true than right on Leo Affairs. I apologize to all the readers, I maybe should've just gone to Personnel to get the answers to my questions.

04-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey deputy, are u chief material? We need one. Jump aboard, we need another acehole here! Good luck with the S.O. and we will continue to back y'all up and solve your crimes! Be safe!

04-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Hey chief a parrot told me that Sequim has an opening for a Sergeant I took the privilege to submit the application for you.... they should be calling you soon!

04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
To the Pasco County deputy. If you want to expand your search area, try Plant City. We have about 10 openings now. We have take home cars, etc.

05-03-2007, 03:29 AM
I doubt I can help you much but I'll try to answer your questions... I'm fairly new myself here, and to tell you the truth a lot of our employees don't seem as much like assholes in person because they don't have the chance to be all "undercover" or better put cowardly like on can be on the internet...
1. What is the starting pay? Am I brought in at a higher scale based on my experience and training? (I have 7 years w/ the S.O. and I'm a FTO)
First off... I'm sure you will lose your seniority... this is pretty much obvious besides I'm not sure of the starting pay for officers
Yes
Yes... in the county and no more than 25 miles from city limits
Yes
5. What is the advancement opportunity with the agency? Are investigative opportunities available?
Ehh... I can't help you on that one...

Either way you go I hope your searching elsewhere finds you a good position. Good luck...

05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Can ANYONE translate what that drivel is the posted?

What does that all mean?

DUDE, either learn English, or learn to proof read!!!

What a mron you look like!

doubt I can help you much but I'll try to answer your questions... I'm fairly new myself here, and to tell you the truth a lot of our employees don't seem as much like meany in person because they don't have the chance to be all "undercover" or better put cowardly like on can be on the internet...

05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I doubt I can help you much but I'll try to answer your questions... I'm fairly new myself here, and to tell you the truth a lot of our employees don't seem as much like meany in person because they don't have the chance to be all "undercover" or better put cowardly like on can be on the internet...
First off... I'm sure you will lose your seniority... this is pretty much obvious besides I'm not sure of the starting pay for officers
Yes
Yes... in the county and no more than 25 miles from city limits
Yes
Ehh... I can't help you on that one...

Either way you go I hope your searching elsewhere finds you a good position. Good luck...

Are you sure you work here? Number 3 is incorrect.

05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes... in the county and more than 25 miles from city limits.

This only applies if your the "Pet Dectective."

05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Can ANYONE translate what that drivel is the posted?

What does that all mean?

DUDE, either learn English, or learn to proof read!!!

What a mron you look like!

I'm sorry, but please, before you criticize someone else's English or proofreading skills, you should take a look at your own.

("what the drivel is the posted? "mron", and "proof read" should be one word)

Geez, judge not lest you be judged.

05-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I'll make it completly clear for everyone... It sucks here with the chief we have and until the city wakes up and fires his a** don't look here and find another PD to apply at!

Is that clear enough?

Thanks

05-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Crystal clear, thanks!

05-06-2007, 02:27 AM
If the people at ZPD find it so hard to work for a chief then why not walk and let others apply to take the job. I have read this site for some time and I am not a person who posts on this site but I am a certified member in the LE community. You idiots that think the Chief is at fault have another thing coming by the way. When is the last time you saw a Sgt or Lt make a decision no one agreed with, I bet you did not go running to write that up on this site. I take that back there was a post awhile back about the chief on the air when there was 10-3 and this CLEM idiot started ranting about this and that. CLEM if you are so good how come your not chief of this city or anywhere else? The chief is an administrator live with it or run on the next ballot with the city council to elect a new chief. Who ever this CLEM retard is I hope you are not protecting the citizens of this city, GET A LIFE!

This is in response to people who think they always know what the right thing to do is and never step up to the plate when the time comes because they surround themselves with friends of YES men.

05-06-2007, 01:59 PM
First of all, why should everyone walk, and I mean everyone walk, if one idiot (the chief) is the problem! If for a minute you think that there is only a couple of employees fed up with this idiot, just approach and speak with them. This idiot does not know what he is doing and you know what, you just wait and see what happens to him!

There's no election for a chief so you are the retard! Why don't you GET A LIFE, and worry about getting your facts straight, idiot!

It just amazes me that the idiot would get either his wife or the pet detective to post for him. :lol:

05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
What gives you the right to come at me like a spider monkey jacked up on mountain dew if you dont like it because the truth hurts just plug your ears like the city manager does.

You sound like a huge baby keep crying you little girl.... I dont believe I was ranting about this and that on the 10-3 incident hell there was even a HCSO post a comment about it, I believe I was stating facts I guess I really hit a nerve with you huh CHIEF!!!! My main concern is YOU! I dont hear any griping about anyone but YOU Chiefy... If you are so fed up then why dont YOU quit? How many people have posted saying Clem's right? I'll tell ya PLENTY! Do you really want everybody but 3 people to walk out of the police dept are you serious? You dont even do your job do you think you can do all the others? By the way I AM trying to protect the citizens by posting your ignorant ways, but no I am not employed at Zhills I wish I was. Maybe I will take up that offer and apply for the Chiefy postition when he gets canned but I guess I will have to go to the academy first huh hey you think ZPD will sponsor me?
I know the fed up with the bull is Chiefy because you are the only one who cries I never post on this site when you have posted as yourself on company time.....

I got 2 words for you Oh-blah-dee Oh-blah-dah!