PDA

View Full Version : Employment

02-10-2007, 01:45 AM
Hello I plan to apply for the FHP. Is it a hard department to get hired with? I have a 2 year degree in Criminal Justice from another state and a non-certified candidate. This would be my first LE officer job if hired. Is the department picky about who they hire? Any other information will be helpful.

02-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Just read all the posts. You will be able to form your own opinion. A year long application process that you pay for. Terrible pay and benefits. Low morale. But hey, alot of people seem to be applying. Go figure.

02-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, you're already ahead of half of the applicants if you have an associate's degree. FHP's site says they give hiring preference to those who have completed 60 credits of college, so I say go for it. Many meet FHP's minimum application requirements, but the part people have problems with is making it through their rigorous application process that weeds out most of the general population (e.g. polygraph, psych exam, etc).

Remember, it's not easy to become one of the elite.

02-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Apply to FHP. Don't listen to what is posted on LEOAffairs. Probably 95 percent of the people that post here don't work for FHP. I have worked for the Patrol for 9 years. I wouldn't work for any other agency BUT the Patrol. What's wrong with the benefits? In my area, Troopers make a lot more than city officers. Deputies are paying about $500 a month for family health insurance. Troopers are paying about $190. All the city and county agencies in my district require their patrol officers to comp their extra hours. FHP is the only agency that pays their officers for OT. Not to mention the fact that we can also work up to 20 hours a week of SOAR overtime. FHP doesn't have a quarter of the morale issues that a lot of other departments have.

02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Apply to FHP. Don't listen to what is posted on LEOAffairs. Probably 95 percent of the people that post here don't work for FHP. I have worked for the Patrol for 9 years. I wouldn't work for any other agency BUT the Patrol. What's wrong with the benefits? In my area, Troopers make a lot more than city officers. Deputies are paying about $500 a month for family health insurance. Troopers are paying about $190. All the city and county agencies in my district require their patrol officers to comp their extra hours. FHP is the only agency that pays their officers for OT. Not to mention the fact that we can also work up to 20 hours a week of SOAR overtime. FHP doesn't have a quarter of the morale issues that a lot of other departments have.

If FHP just paid us decent wages we wouldnt have to work SOAR, which is absolutely ridiculous anyway. I write $840 worth of tickets in two hours and yet I get a check for about 38 bucks!!! Yea, that is really worth it!!!! Just remember this before you apply to FHP. They are at the bottom of the pay scale for ALL state agencies. You could do the exact same job, if not less, in a states like PA, NY, OK, CO, IL, just to name a few and make a TON more money. That is the problem I have with them! You may think the money doesnt mean anything until you work here for about 2 years and you realize you will NEVER be able to afford an average house in the area you work. Nothing pisses me off more than that because I have worked hard and stayed clean all my life so I could afford the things I deserve. I guess I just messed up accepting the job with FHP.

02-10-2007, 09:18 PM

I hate to tell you but I work for an S.O. and I pay about 130.00 a month for family medical, dental, eye and perscription. You pay 190.00 a month just for family medical. Not dental or eye. After 9 years with FHP how much are you making?? Probably not more than 40 a year or maybe 47 if you work in the Miami or Palm Beach area. I make 40 a year with one year on. Who wants to work all that overtime? Don't you like your family? Overtime is nice for that unexpected bill or holidays or vacation. But if you have to work it to survive, you are in a bad place.

02-10-2007, 11:40 PM
I know its not easy getting hired by the elite. I know my chances may be slim to none, but I guess its worth applying. Whats the equipment like laptops, LED lighting, 800 MHz radio system? How many hour shifts do Troopers work? What shift do you usually get to run the most traffic (probably dog watch)? I am sure its similar to MSP were you work the most accidents during the daytime hours. The pay isn't that big of a deal and they always seem to be hiring a lot of people. I am just looking to land my first leo job and finish up my Bachelors Degree after I complete my probation period. What are some of the stations that are in need of Troopers were most rookies are being sent?

Thanks

02-12-2007, 06:04 AM
I know its not easy getting hired by the elite. I know my chances may be slim to none, but I guess its worth applying. Whats the equipment like laptops, LED lighting, 800 MHz radio system? How many hour shifts do Troopers work? What shift do you usually get to run the most traffic (probably dog watch)? I am sure its similar to MSP were you work the most accidents during the daytime hours. The pay isn't that big of a deal and they always seem to be hiring a lot of people. I am just looking to land my first leo job and finish up my Bachelors Degree after I complete my probation period. What are some of the stations that are in need of Troopers were most rookies are being sent?

Thanks

Hired by the elite? Where did you hear that from? I had people in my class so dumb they could barely pass the tests or put their guns back together. Our laptops are good but about 5 years behind other good state agencies. The radios straight up suck and I keep a log everytime mine doesnt work so when I get hurt or killed from my radio that doesnt key up or keeps scanning my family can sue and own FHP, MAcom, and the DHSMV. In my area we work a God awful 8 hour shift with two days off. Every shift is busy as can be, even midnights are very busy because we only have one squad out.

02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Which troop do you suggest I ask for if I want to be as proactive as possible? I want to handle accidents here and there, but I don't want that to be my focus in FHP. If I wanted to do that I'd become an EMT (they probably get paid more too).

Any advice?

Also, how easy is it to become Sgt, Lt, Capt.?

Thanks.

02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Which troop do you suggest I ask for if I want to be as proactive as possible? I want to handle accidents here and there, but I don't want that to be my focus in FHP. If I wanted to do that I'd become an EMT (they probably get paid more too).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Dude,

What illusion are you under? WORKING ACCIDENTS IS THEIR MAIN FOCUS!!!! :roll:

02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
[quote="FHP Applicant":2ig0e8rs]Which troop do you suggest I ask for if I want to be as proactive as possible? I want to handle accidents here and there, but I don't want that to be my focus in FHP. If I wanted to do that I'd become an EMT (they probably get paid more too).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Dude,

What illusion are you under? WORKING ACCIDENTS IS THEIR MAIN FOCUS!!!! :roll:[/quote:2ig0e8rs]

Hahah you are sooooo right there. If you want to work as few crashes as possible you better try to get a VERY rural post.

02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
GoNavy,

"Remember, it's not easy to become one of the elite".

I bet you think the Navy is elite too :?: What is so elite about FHP :?:

02-14-2007, 02:45 AM
GoNavy,

I bet you think the Navy is elite too

I'm not GoNavy, but i'd venture to say the most powerful fleet in the world with enough nuclear warheads and aircraft to inflict world domination is pretty f*ck'n elite!!

02-14-2007, 03:05 AM
This is the current pay scale and benefits for the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Starting pay $42,744 with no exp. Will start at up to $46,672 depending on exp.
Current top out as a regular Deputy Sheriff is $63,600.

By the end of this three year contract (4/09) a starting deputy will start at $47,220 with no exp. and top out will be $70,272.

PBSO has a career deputy program which allows you to remain as a deputy without promoting with a current top out at $76,092. By 4/09 this will increase to $87,600.

Sgt's current pay scale tops out at $79,512. By 4/09 top out will be $95,676.

Lt's current pay scale tops out at $90,720. By 4/09 top out will be $109,200.

Depending on which insurance options you pick and who you need covered the amount will very. Currently for a family of four with dental,vision, and health coverage I pay $190.28 a month.

Take home car policy is very liberal if you live inside the county. You are allowed to use it for personal use, including carrying passenges such as family members and you do not have to purchase seperate insurance. They do deduct $45 a month for gas. If you live outside the county you still get the take home car but you are not allowed to use it for personal use. They also do not take out the "gas" fee of $45.

Road patrol works 11.5 hour shift with the night shift working 4 on 4 off. Days works 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. So that every other weekend you get Fri, Sat, Sun, off.

FRS retirement totaly non-contributary, Sheriff pays everything.

The agency has aprox. 1500 law enforcement now and is getting bigger everday with take overs and mergers of other departments and growth.

There is almost as much OT as you want or can handle. Current pay is $28 an hour with it counting towards your salary and therfore your highest five year avarage for retirement.

13 paid holidays.

Longevity payof 2% after 10 years, 5% after 15 years, and %10 after 20 years.

You get a three hour min. of pay or comp, your choice for off-duty court or other duties.

The list of special units is almost endless, K-9, motors, DUI, THI, Detective, Aviation, Bomb, Marine, Mounted, Aggresive driving squad, CMV enforcement, SWAT, TAC, etc.

Go to PBSO.org and click on Human Resouces or call 561-688-3000. All applications are now on-line and can be submitted 24hrs a day.

Think about it and compare. We are not perfect but all in all this is a very good place to work.

Thanks for your time and good luck!

02-14-2007, 10:44 PM
This is the current pay scale and benefits for the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Starting pay $42,744 with no exp. Will start at up to $46,672 depending on exp.
Current top out as a regular Deputy Sheriff is $63,600.

By the end of this three year contract (4/09) a starting deputy will start at $47,220 with no exp. and top out will be $70,272.

PBSO has a career deputy program which allows you to remain as a deputy without promoting with a current top out at $76,092. By 4/09 this will increase to $87,600.

Sgt's current pay scale tops out at $79,512. By 4/09 top out will be $95,676.

Lt's current pay scale tops out at $90,720. By 4/09 top out will be $109,200.

Depending on which insurance options you pick and who you need covered the amount will very. Currently for a family of four with dental,vision, and health coverage I pay $190.28 a month.

Take home car policy is very liberal if you live inside the county. You are allowed to use it for personal use, including carrying passenges such as family members and you do not have to purchase seperate insurance. They do deduct $45 a month for gas. If you live outside the county you still get the take home car but you are not allowed to use it for personal use. They also do not take out the "gas" fee of $45.

Road patrol works 11.5 hour shift with the night shift working 4 on 4 off. Days works 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. So that every other weekend you get Fri, Sat, Sun, off.

FRS retirement totaly non-contributary, Sheriff pays everything.

The agency has aprox. 1500 law enforcement now and is getting bigger everday with take overs and mergers of other departments and growth.

There is almost as much OT as you want or can handle. Current pay is $28 an hour with it counting towards your salary and therfore your highest five year avarage for retirement.

13 paid holidays.

Longevity payof 2% after 10 years, 5% after 15 years, and %10 after 20 years.

You get a three hour min. of pay or comp, your choice for off-duty court or other duties.

The list of special units is almost endless, K-9, motors, DUI, THI, Detective, Aviation, Bomb, Marine, Mounted, Aggresive driving squad, CMV enforcement, SWAT, TAC, etc.

Go to PBSO.org and click on Human Resouces or call 561-688-3000. All applications are now on-line and can be submitted 24hrs a day.

Think about it and compare. We are not perfect but all in all this is a very good place to work.

Thanks for your time and good luck!

That is absolutely gorgeous! With places like this to work I have NO IDEA why FHP has any members at all. Every other weekend off!?!??! At FHP you dont even know what a weekend off is unless you call in sick. Usually you cant even get them off if you take vacation time.

02-14-2007, 11:56 PM
The package may look good but I've know a few fellows to go to work for PBSO and some tried to get their jobs back with FHP. I was even tempted to submit at one point but decided not to. They pay very well but I hear they get their moneys worth out of you.

02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Trooper: You may be right but I have not heard of any of the FHP Troopers that have come here returning. But I do not know everyone here so it is possible. As far as you earning your money, well that depends on where you work in Palm Beach. Our county has some of the poorest neighborhoods in Florida and some of the richest neighborhoods in Florida. We have districts where in a 11.5 hour shift you may take 20+ calls and 10 of them may require reports. Other districts we have you may only get a couple of calls and 1 or 2 reports. Remember some of our calls are as simple as responding to a false alarm and all you have to do is pull a case number and fill out a false alarm report which has less info than a traffic cite on it. I would also challenge anybody who works in Orlando as a Trooper who works 5 or 6 or more crashes in a shift with a couple of long forms or a DUI to compare the workload to pay difference. They earn their money in Orlando, but the problem is the money they earn is less. So yes you may earn your money here but it is worth it in the end as when you go to retire you actually can, and survive on you pension. Being a Deputy is not for everyone and some may decide to go with FHP or stay there. But it is very smart to weigh all of the options.

02-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Trooper: You may be right but I have not heard of any of the FHP Troopers that have come here returning. But I do not know everyone here so it is possible. As far as you earning your money, well that depends on where you work in Palm Beach. Our county has some of the poorest neighborhoods in Florida and some of the richest neighborhoods in Florida. We have districts where in a 11.5 hour shift you may take 20+ calls and 10 of them may require reports. Other districts we have you may only get a couple of calls and 1 or 2 reports. Remember some of our calls are as simple as responding to a false alarm and all you have to do is pull a case number and fill out a false alarm report which has less info than a traffic cite on it. I would also challenge anybody who works in Orlando as a Trooper who works 5 or 6 or more crashes in a shift with a couple of long forms or a DUI to compare the workload to pay difference. They earn their money in Orlando, but the problem is the money they earn is less. So yes you may earn your money here but it is worth it in the end as when you go to retire you actually can, and survive on you pension. Being a Deputy is not for everyone and some may decide to go with FHP or stay there. But it is very smart to weigh all of the options.

Hi PBSO,

May I contact you to seek advice on PBSO?

E:mail: phenom212@aim.com

02-16-2007, 03:41 AM

Hi PBSO,

May I contact you to seek advice on PBSO?

E:mail: phenom212@aim.com

PBSO's top pay is around 72,000 for a Deputy and 86,000 for a career Deputy. Starting right now is around 43,000 and you get a 27.5 % raise over three years you would be making 55,000 is three years. This does not include college pay and well as shift differential. Our take home car policy is great, and benefits for you and family very cheap. Like PBSO said you can work your butt off here or lay low. We are merging with many cities and getting new state of the art computers with all the toys. We have many units to get into. Again being a Deputy isn't for everyone. My friend who is a Trooper would love to leave FHP and come over however he has 8 years and doesn't want to lose his time. FHP is good place to work, I like the being a street cop, and I can always go on I-95 as I always do to work traffic, most of the time with FHP. PBSO has 4 units assigned to i-95 most of the time. FHP's biggest advantage is they pay really well for their off-duty pay. Their details aren't much more then anyone else, but their hire back pays around $50 - $60 dollars an hours. You have to figure what kind of job you want to do. I love traffic, but I like working the streets as well. Good luck and to all LEO's stay safe.

Phenom212 if you need info let me know on here and I'll send you my E-mail address.

02-18-2007, 03:14 AM
"Hired by the elite? Where did you hear that from? I had people in my class so dumb they could barely pass the tests or put their guns back together. Our laptops are good but about 5 years behind other good state agencies. The radios straight up suck and I keep a log everytime mine doesnt work so when I get hurt or killed from my radio that doesnt key up or keeps scanning my family can sue and own FHP, MAcom, and the DHSMV. In my area we work a God awful 8 hour shift with two days off. Every shift is busy as can be, even midnights are very busy because we only have one squad out."