View Full Version : READ

02-07-2007, 12:07 AM
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007302020005

02-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Lee sheriff’s lieutenant fired
By Ed Johnson
ejohnson@news-press.com
Originally posted on February 02, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A lieutenant with the Lee County sheriff's office has been fired for filing misleading court documents in a child adoption case.

Stephen Ford, an officer with more than 24 years on the job was terminated Monday, he said. He plans to contest the firing.

He was also found to have violated agency regulations pertaining to the use of the police computer system and insubordination.

At issue are court documents he and his wife, Kathleen Ford, filed allowing her husband to adopt her child from another relationship. Those documents, in part, concern Stephen Ford's certification that he had resided with the child since she was two years old. He conceded that was not true, but claimed it was a typographical error that was corrected before the court made any decision in the case.

The sheriff's office contends it's more involved than that, noting there were several other improprieties found, including a misuse of the police computer system to check on the little girl's father and using the system for personal reasons.

Kathleen Ford said her husband has been unfairly targeted because of other issues both raised about conduct within the sheriff's office. Including allegations against the office's chief deputy, Charles Ferrante.

Sheriff Mike Scott brushed those allegations aside.

"This was the result of a citizen complaint," he said. "The only question here was have you been truthful."

Stephen Ford had been the subject of other administrative action in the past, Scott said.

"He had been demoted once before, but he was a great cop and I gave him another chance," he added.

The complaint that initiated the firing came from Marcus Jansen, a Cape Coral resident who is fighting Stephen Ford's effort to adopt his daughter.

Jansen said the Ford's have tried to mislead the court, claiming he could not be located, in an effort to win an uncontested adoption. That adoption issue is in abeyance since Jansen's challenge was filed.

"They knew how to find me," he said. "I've always let the court know where I was."

Kathleen Ford said she has been the victim of systematic harassment from Jansen and has a list of legal actions that have been initiated. She accused him of being in the country illegally and engaging in a pattern of illegal conduct.

Jansen disputes that. He confirms he is in the country on a 90 day visa that expired in 2002, but adds he can't leave until a misdemeanor complaint Kathleen Ford filed in Charlotte County is completed.

"They even called immigration on me, " he said. "The agent looked at my paperwork and agreed I'm in a catch 22. My passport is being held with the Charlotte County clerk."