PDA

View Full Version : St Patriks Day Party FOP Lodge 29

Tim Hennigan
02-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Quite a few members have approached me on why the St. Patty’s Day Party is being held the weekend before St Patty’s Day. I am going to be up front about this; first of all a member of the FOPA, who asked me to have the party on the 10th because that FOPA member had to work the weekend of the 17th, approached me. This member stated they wanted to bring a karaoke machine. I strongly advised this person, that we would not entertain special request and plan a party just around 1 or 2 people’s work schedule or plans. I believe this is one of the main reasons we have so much division within the FOP, where a lot of members think that the FOP is just for a few select group, I for one, am one of them. That is why I ran for President of the FOP. Yes I may not be able to please everyone, but I am going to try damn hard, that every decision I make concerning the FOP is in the best interest of the FOP as a whole. Being in the law enforcement field, we have all done without because of the type of job we have, whether it is holidays, birthdays or special events. If we get in the practice of scheduling events around other, we are not doing any just to the membership. On the General Membership meeting January 17th, this FOPA member again approached me, again I stated this wasn’t a good idea and I will not endorse that date. I was also advised by a few others that if we don’t have the St Patty’s Day party on the 10th the attendance will be low, because a lot of members of the FOP and Sheriff’s Office attend the party at Fitzgerald’s. I advised them, that is fine, but again what about the other 490 members that would not like to spend a lot of money at a pub and pay one low price and have a good meal, good beverages, spend it out of the public’s eye and most of all among brothers and sisters. Then during the General Meeting the question was asked when the St Patty’s party is going to be held a Board Member stated March 10th. I spoke to this Board Member after the meeting and inquired as to how we came up with that date, which wasn’t voted on by the Board. I am going to address this at this upcoming Board Meeting on Wed, February 7th. The Board as a whole will decide what date is best for the members. It is the prerogative of the members of the FOP to do as they please, but it is the requirement of the FOP to provide equality to all the members.

Some of the other suggestions then having it on the 17th were, to hold it on Friday night the 16th. The reason is a lot of others may be more likely to come out this night because they are out and about whether coming from work or out on Friday nigh. Please post to this message and express your desires. They will be taken very seriously. I personally will not entertain any suggestions revolving around any one or unit’s work schedule or more importantly that a person or group has other plans. I am not mentioning any names in this article because I do not condone bashing one, whether I agree or not. I don’t expect posters to bash any persons either in their posts.

02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
The only people who show up to your St Patty Party are the retirees. I did not know they even read this website. They can have their party whenever they want.

Make sure you have a ride home for them Timmy!