PDA

View Full Version : Man sues MSO sheriff over I-75 stop

News Flash
01-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Man sues MSO sheriff over I-75 stop
Dennis Crosby had the radio going that afternoon on the highway when the squad cars raced up and forced him to pull over.

Crosby was driving north on Interstate 75, heading home to Orlando. He said he wasn't speeding.
Click here (http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070129/NEWS/701290361/-1/Help07) for the full story.

01-29-2007, 03:45 PM
and how many officers have been murdered recently in routine traffic stops? Maybe they were a little zealous, better safe than sorry. Plus why is he complaining now of injuries? Upset over civil rights? I think not. More likely an ambulance chaser contacted this person.

01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
and how many officers have been murdered recently in routine traffic stops? Maybe they were a little zealous, better safe than sorry. Plus why is he complaining now of injuries? Upset over civil rights? I think not. More likely an ambulance chaser contacted this person.
I agree --> Dennis Crosby is trying to chase the "deep pockets" of government. :roll:

However...

This story is a classic illustration of why I don't like listing a car as stolen in many cases: I loaned my car to defendant X for 3 rocks and he was supposed to bring it back after 6 hours, but it's been 9 hours, so now I want to report it as stolen. I demand that you report it as stolen!!! I demand that you find my car NOW!!! :roll:[/*:m:wli8x2nq]
I loan my car all the time to my roommate (or cousing or whatever) and he's been gone overnight, so now I want to list my car as stolen. :roll:[/*:m:wli8x2nq]
Bla blaaaa blah bla blaaaaaaaa[/*:m:wli8x2nq]At the academy, we are trained to handle stolen car stops as felony stops ---- that means guns drawn. However, when we start taking stolen auto reports for cases that should be civil....

Hey, I don't mind taking a bonifide stolen auto case, but I hate the above kinds of cases.

01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Thats why I tell them it is civil. 10-98 sorry bout ur luck.

01-31-2007, 02:18 AM
Not to take anything away from the dangers of a 10-50 but don't you think that you should confirm the vehicle is stolen before you stop it? How many Green LaBarons are there? So because he was unable to run the tag he couldn't confirm it was stolen, he automatically azzumes it is?

01-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Not to take anything away from the dangers of a 10-50 but don't you think that you should confirm the vehicle is stolen before you stop it? How many Green LaBarons are there? So because he was unable to run the tag he couldn't confirm it was stolen, he automatically azzumes it is?
To answer your question: "no." If the computer goes down for 30 minutes or 3 hours, then should we just walk away without investigating an allegation that it is a stolen car? What if it's your stolen car??? Do you want us to "let it go" just because the computer is down? :roll:

Idiot. :roll:

01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
I agree that it should have been treated like a felony stop, however, common sense needs to kick in. The vehicle stops and you order a 60 year old male out of the car at gunpoint. I dont know about you guys but out of all of the Sig10's I have ever had I have never encountered a 60 year old man driving one. Granted, there are older criminals out there who commit felonies all of the time. I wasn't there and I don't want to arm chair quarterback anyone but all I am saying is at times common sense needs to take over in some situations.

02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree that it should have been treated like a felony stop, however, common sense needs to kick in. The vehicle stops and you order a 60 year old male out of the car at gunpoint. I dont know about you guys but out of all of the Sig10's I have ever had I have never encountered a 60 year old man driving one. Granted, there are older criminals out there who commit felonies all of the time. I wasn't there and I don't want to arm chair quarterback anyone but all I am saying is at times common sense needs to take over in some situations.
To some degree, I agree with you. I wasn't there and I don't know who the players are, but...

The academy trains us to conduct felony traffic stops on stolen cars. That means that we are supposed to handle the call in a very specific way. During a felony traffic stop, our training kicks in and we do it automatically. After all, once the guns come out, then we really can't deviate from our "exact" training procedure. Once a felony traffic stop has begun, we can't stop midstream and suddenly put our guns away simply because the driver is 55 years old. Once we begin, we have to go all the way, until the car is cleared and we know that it's safe. The cuffs eventually came off the driver, but only after the deputies "followed procedures."

IMO it would set a dangerious precedent to circumvent our training standards just because the driver is 55 years old, is a woman, is a black man, is __________ (insert your choice here).

Once the guns come out, we have to follow protocol to a tee. Period. That was done in this case.

02-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with both of you. Training takes over in most situations and some of us need to realize that common sense needs to be used some times. It would be great if everything happened just like we trained for in the academy. Not all felony stops are going to go down the same way. In a shoot out we are not going to stand there shooting at a non moving target like we train for on the range. Every situation is going to be different and you won't be doing it text book all the time or most of the time for that matter.

02-02-2007, 01:38 AM
well i dont know about the following it to the tee post...
i conducted a felony stop a few months ago on a vehicle with 4 occupants possibly involved in a recent shooting. the driver (female) and passenger (male) were extracted without problem. when the 3rd occupant came out looking at us (with guns drawn) she started crying... she was 12 years old. her sister was 10 and was crying just as much. were the guns needed then... i hoped not because i put mine away.
just something to think about.... every situation is different as we all know.