PDA

View Full Version : Your Security On This Message Board

Sysop
01-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Reprinted from Mod 167's Post since I had to move the string to the Abusive Posts section. Sorry for the incovenience, but Mod 167 was addresses a post that attempted to discredit this website.

-----

New postPosted: 01/28/07 12:56:27
Post subject:

This post is from a person who is spamming all of the message boards and is trying to disrupt the website. Since we have new users who may not know the history of this issue of protecting your IP addresses, I have included the following information below. If anyone has any legitimate concerns or questions please feel free to ask. I will respond as long as your intentions are valid and not a continuing effort on the “Spammers” behalf to disrupt the message boards:

This concern was already resolved in the Florida courts two years ago when the Sheriff of Hillsborough County took the owners of this site to court in an effort to learn the identity of persons posting derogatory information about the Sheriff, his staff and the agency. The courts, not once but twice, upheld the owner’s rights to not release ANY information that could possibly reveal the identity of someone participating in this forum, regardless of what they wrote. Freedom of speech took precedence and the intent of this website was justified.

To state that the owners could “Share” this court protected information is not only wrong but indicates to me that you do not know who they are, what they stand for or the reason why they invested their own money to start the web site and then spend thousands in defending your right to privacy.

To answer your question on how they would respond in court under oath, I will direct you to the Hillsborough County courthouse and to the local media stations that took interest in the story and the ruling by the court. There is enough information on file that should quail your concerns.

I can assure you as a Moderator for this web site that I have spoken to Chip at length about the rules of this forum and supporting their interest in open communications without the fear of being identified. Unless you post information that could open a criminal investigation then you should feel confident to anonymously participate at LeoAffairs.com. If you still feel apprehensive in participating on the forum then you may always exercise your right to just read what others have to say, hence, the reason you do not have to register to read or write.

As for continuing to allow some posts that were banned, we do everything possible to keep spamming off of the site or those who intentionally violate the rules from participating. Once the IP address is blocked, they always seem to find new IP addresses and ways to return. It is an on-going task but one that we will continue to do to ensure your enjoyment and the reasons why LeoAffairs.com exists.

Mod 167